BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (a) - Monday 8th May

30 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

With devil's advocate hat on, is he really?

He's just finished behind Mowbray who was himself managing a newly promoted squad.

Yes, that Sunderland squad is more talented than the squad Mowbray left behind.

• Like 3

Its heat-breaking to miss out on the play-offs in that manner but at least we didn't bottle this game. Shows how much football is played in the head. Those 2 late, late capitulations against Preston and Coventry were always going to bite us in the end but this game shows what we can do.

Replacing Diaz, getting someone like O'Brien in and one or two more players of quality and we can put all this behind us.

Feeling pride more than disappointment and thinking the best is yet to come.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Wow. That was up there with some of the best days I have had watching Rovers. I think the majority of us went through every possible emotion today and that is one of the reasons why football plays such a big part in our lives. I have written several times leading up to the game how difficult it is to play at Millwall with a full house and the fans intimidating the opposition from the first minute. I thought a few of our players froze and at times in the first half and were like rabbits caught in the headlights. Each goal we conceded was down to errors and completely avoidable. I didn't think we were playing badly at all though. Who would have given a carrot for our chances at half-time? I certainly wouldn't but to be fair Tomasson made probably the boldest substitution of the season by taking Travis off and pushing JRC into midfield. All of a sudden we are at it, the pace and intensity which we know we have was back and an early goal set the tone. The rest was just fantastic as we tore Millwall a new one with JRC at the heart of everything both in defence and attack. I was so engrossed in our game that I wasn't even really aware of what was going on elsewhere. There was very little chat on the tube and train home about missing out on the playoffs such was the high we were still on. Once that euphoria wanes I'm sure many of us will reflect on what might have been but right now I'm so proud of the players, management but particularly the fans of our club. They did the club proud today.

A great antidote to the disappointment so many of us feel right now.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Bethnal said:

I’m as pathetic as we are, so I’m back.

“Travis off at half time” may as well be an epitaph for his Rovers career. Has wilted under the pressure of the captaincy.

We have to win this half 3-0. When did we last do that?

Well, we did. So I can shut up.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Yes, that Sunderland squad is more talented than the squad Mowbray left behind.

The squad Mowbray left behind has been top 6 virtually all season,with hardly any help from incoming transfers. 

It fell short because our recruitment team did a pathetic job, and Sunderland's showed them how to do it. 

Put their loan players in our squad and we make the top 6 without doubt. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, 47er said:

Its heat-breaking to miss out on the play-offs in that manner but at least we didn't bottle this game. Shows how much football is played in the head. Those 2 late, late capitulations against Preston and Coventry were always going to bite us in the end but this game shows what we can do.

Replacing Diaz, getting someone like O'Brien in and one or two more players of quality and we can put all this behind us.

Feeling pride more than disappointment and thinking the best is yet to come.

Where’s VAR when needed. Put simply, our play place was unfairly taken by Coventry’s cheating goalkeeper.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, den said:

To add to the last few positive posts, I think this season we’ve played, at times, some of the best football since we were relegated from the Premier League. That’s a massive plus.

Without doubt, especially the last few weeks. 

The shortcomings are obvious,but with Buckley back and if the recruitment dept get their fingers out and add to the forward line, we can look ahead with plenty optimism

• Like 1

Just back from the game and have to echo everything Arbitro said.

What a fantastic spectacle with both teams and sets of fans fully playing their part. We know how you feel Millwall! 

Kudos to JDT for making the half time changes and for letting Dack and Ayala say their goodbyes to the fans. 

With the right recruitment and management we will be up their again next season. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, M_B said:

The squad Mowbray left behind has been top 6 virtually all season,with hardly any help from incoming transfers. 

It fell short because our recruitment team did a pathetic job, and Sunderland's showed them how to do it. 

Put their loan players in our squad and we make the top 6 without doubt. 

He left us with no strikers. He also had nothing to do with the development of Carter, Joe Rankin-Costello and Adam Wharton who have all come to the fore this season and been key contributors. 

I have nothing but disdain for the man.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, M_B said:

Without doubt, especially the last few weeks. 

The shortcomings are obvious,but with Buckley back and if the recruitment dept get their fingers out and add to the forward line, we can look ahead with plenty optimism

I'd like to see Buckley alongside A. Wharton as the starting pair in CM next season. 

2 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

Remembering an interview he gave on Football Focus early in the season just ended in which, if memory serves, he gave more credit to Southport than Rovers for his career development, that wouldn't surprise me, either.

I thought he was very poorly managed by Mowbray&co. and just seen as a walking £££ by the higher ups, so in this one instance I can understand if he has sour memories

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy said:

A season is 46 games, not various hot/cold spells throughout it.

You finish where you deserve to.

Only Dingles and Sheffield have spent more time in the top 6 than us and whilst we miss out, on the final day, by GD, that is way above what any of us expected this season.

Gutted to miss out, but let’s put some perspective on it.

Plenty to be encouraged about for next season.

Only if we keep, and back, the manager. Lose him and I think our club, nevermind team, could be in free fall.

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He left us with no strikers. He also had nothing to do with the development of Carter, Joe Rankin-Costello and Adam Wharton who have all come to the fore this season and been key contributors. 

I have nothing but disdain for the man.

In 5 years Mowbray couldn't even get 25% out of JRC than what tommason has got out of him this past few months.

Both jrc & carter would be getting released by the club this summer if Mowbray was still in charge

• Like 3

• Backroom
34 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Where’s VAR when needed. Put simply, our play place was unfairly taken by Coventry’s cheating goalkeeper.

Thing is - it wasn’t even a particularly difficult ball for our keeper to deal with but he was stuck to his line.

Then we had a chance about 4 days later to make amends - then up steps Ryan Hedges 94 minutes in 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spankus Munky said:

Yes and that's why you try to help them by trying to play to their strengths and play others around them that can cover for areas of weakness. Playing Travis alongside Wharton or Buckley isn't/hasn't helped either of them and will continue to hamper any progress they could make. Do you think Carter & S.Wharton CB partnership is good enough to start as first choice CB's next season? I don't! For the same reason why any combination of Travis, Buckley, A.Wharton is not acceptable to start in the engine room of midfield regularly next season

I think all three have a lot of room to improve. Travis isn’t anywhere near good enough on the ball.  Wharton and Buckley lack defensively and none of them are especially good in the air.  I’d like to see us operate with a midfield 3 more next year. Garrett pushing Travis for the defensive role. Buckley and Wharton in front. No better way to gain experience than playing. 

of course we will need cover as 4 for 3 isn’t going to make it all season.  Bring in an experienced squad member to help the lads and provide depth. But with our financial limitations I’d rather see us spend whatever meager funds available on strikers, wingers and left back competition 

Edited by yankfan
Hit enter too soon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Mowbray hasn’t had time to take them on a journey, Alex Neil’s team.

Believe you me this has nowt to do with Alex Neil. We’ve improved 10-fold under Mowbray. Having a young, hungry squad has suited him down to the ground and it’s produced the best footie I’ve seen us play for over a decade. 

If we had a striker for more than 15 games and had our CBs fit this team would have finished at least 2nd imo. Injuries have hampered us no end

Edited by SAFCfaninpeace
  • Like 2