BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (a) - Monday 8th May

8 hours ago, arbitro said:

Wow. That was up there with some of the best days I have had watching Rovers. I think the majority of us went through every possible emotion today and that is one of the reasons why football plays such a big part in our lives. I have written several times leading up to the game how difficult it is to play at Millwall with a full house and the fans intimidating the opposition from the first minute. I thought a few of our players froze and at times in the first half and were like rabbits caught in the headlights. Each goal we conceded was down to errors and completely avoidable. I didn't think we were playing badly at all though. Who would have given a carrot for our chances at half-time? I certainly wouldn't but to be fair Tomasson made probably the boldest substitution of the season by taking Travis off and pushing JRC into midfield. All of a sudden we are at it, the pace and intensity which we know we have was back and an early goal set the tone. The rest was just fantastic as we tore Millwall a new one with JRC at the heart of everything both in defence and attack. I was so engrossed in our game that I wasn't even really aware of what was going on elsewhere. There was very little chat on the tube and train home about missing out on the playoffs such was the high we were still on. Once that euphoria wanes I'm sure many of us will reflect on what might have been but right now I'm so proud of the players, management but particularly the fans of our club. They did the club proud today.

I'm not sure how you could possibly view yesterday's game in isolation irrespective of the other results. I was sat there glumly  thinking it was all completely irrelevant bearing in mind that by the time we finally went ahead Sunderland were already home and hosed. In fact I was somewhat irritated that the players seemed to be celebrating yesterday's irrelevant result like we'd secured automatic promotion or something when they'd barely lifted a finger during the previous eight games when it actually mattered and would have made a difference had they put a shift like yesterday in.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm not sure how you could possibly view yesterday's game in isolation irrespective of the other results. I was sat there glumly  thinking it was all completely irrelevant bearing in mind that by the time we finally went ahead Sunderland were already home and hosed. In fact I was somewhat irritated that the players seemed to be celebrating yesterday's irrelevant result like we'd secured automatic promotion or something when they'd barely lifted a finger during the previous eight games when it actually mattered and would have made a difference had they put a shift like yesterday in.

You are entitled to your opinion. Mine is that I absolutely enjoyed the game yesterday, the second half performance and celebrations. If you didn't then I suggest you watch another sport that might get your juices flowing.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, arbitro said:

You are entitled to your opinion. Mine is that I absolutely enjoyed the game yesterday, the second half performance and celebrations. If you didn't then I suggest you watch another sport that might get your juices flowing.

"Celebrations?"

What was there to celebrate exactly? OK, quick question, would the "euphoria" have been the same if hypothetically the same set of results had occurred but this time the victory was not enough to prevent us being relegated as opposed to not being enough to get us into the play offs?

I'd have expected a very muted reaction from players and fans alike in that instance (think Dennis Law after relegating Man Ure in 1974) and I can't see that yesterday was any different. Celebrating wildly after securing an irrelevant win was on a par with going bananas after scoring a consolation goal in a 5-1 defeat to me.

I'm sure you've heard the expression, "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser". We've in general a team of losers out on the pitch and that losing mentality has transmitted itself to the fan base to the point where expectations appear to have been dumbed down so much that a fairly dismal failure is actually perceived as acceptable or even a glorious defeat.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

"Celebrations?"

What was there to celebrate exactly? OK, quick question, would the "euphoria" have been the same if hypothetically the same set of results had occurred but this time the victory was not enough to prevent us being relegated as opposed to not being enough to get us into the play offs?

I'd have expected a very muted reaction from players and fans alike in that instance (think Dennis Law after relegating Man Ure in 1974) and I can't see that yesterday was any different. Celebrating wildly after securing an irrelevant win was on a par with going bananas after scoring a consolation goal in a 5-1 defeat to me.

I'm sure you've heard the expression, "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser". We've in general a team of losers out on the pitch and that losing mentality has transmitted itself to the fan base to the point where expectations appear to have been dumbed down so much that a fairly dismal failure is actually perceived as acceptable or even a glorious defeat.

What a load of nonsense.  This is the Millwall thread and a lot of the specifics were about yesterday. The manner in which we won dispelled lots of myths about bottlers. The vast majority of Rovers fans really enjoyed yesterday and if you didn't then that's up to you. As I said earlier you perhaps need to find another hobby which satisfies you.

• Like 5

In isolation one of the most entertaining games I've witnessed and cracking entertainment. However I do feel its a sticky plaster over some big wounds. 

For starters even before considering the wider context of the season no team will succeed giving 2 suicidal goals away. They were terrible terrible goals and don't speak well of the players manager. The Dutch disease is in full swing whilst it reinforced that the weaker keeper is starting. As did the Wharton starting and JRC in midfield leave you feeling why didn't this happen sooner?

Brereton shows what he can do when he puts in effort. Shame he couldn't be bothered for the previous half dozen. 

The biggest thing it showed for me is that due to the neglect of the squad a lot of players are being asked to do roles that are beyond them. Travis useful squad player and does a role, but midfield enforcer and guy to grab the game by the scruff of the neck - definitely not. Pickering OK at full back but really isn't first choice material. Not that this aspect is on JDT, Rome wasn't built in a day, he was left with a hovel to start from and got no support in January. 

Still there are positives. The academy continues to churn out an array of talent. that should geberate income and allow well spent resources to be spent on good signings allowing us to mount a promotion push without parachute payments. And the team showed there is some fight and ability meaning we can look up instead of downwards. There's lots of work still to be done and everyone including JDT should learn from this season. However if we were this close with all the issues we have, if we can improve on some of these playoffs should be doable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Exactly how I felt. During the period that we were firing the goals in and Millwall had wilted, it had the feeling of a friendly match.

Any excitement disappeared when Sunderland scored - PNE were never going to do us any favours.

I felt nothing but disappointment at the end. The win was totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 2

I'm leaning towards Rev on this one. The only goal I really celebrated from my settee was the Wharton equaliser as we were still in it. By the time JRC scored Sunderland had just gone 2-0 up.

Had I been at The Den I would have been more emotionally invested and probably would have still wanted the victory despite the fact it was clearly going to achieve bugger all. As it was, I watched it unfold almost like a pre-season friendly where you are seeing who is playing well to pus hon for the following season. Of course I was glad they won, and took some pleasure in watching the 'raucous lion-pit' of The Den fall quiet, but the final feeling was still flat, albeit with some excitement that I do feel we are only a few signings away from a very good young side.

As for @arbitro saying it dispels that we are a team of bottlers, I'm not sure it does. I'm sure the players knew the other result was conspiring against them. Had we known it was 3-0 to Preston, and then done that second half comeback,  it would have been a different story. Millwall, on the other hand, for some reason decided to keep attacking us at 3-2. All season we have looked a far more dangerous team on the break than when we have had to break team down. If they had sat back they would probably have soaked us up and yet, despite leading, they kept pressing forward leaving space for us to run into. They most certainly did bottle this, starting with the way they approached that second half.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

Yesterday was a brilliant watch and just shows what we're capable of. I think if that game was 0-0 at the break, there'd be no urgency and we'd probably go on to lose 1-0 like we have already so many times this season. When you look back at the last month or so we should've won all if not most of those games. We had the hardest run in and I can't think of us being out played of many of those sides. I think with a decent striker up top we win more of those games and that should be our absolute focus this summer. It was those two late goals against Coventry and Preston that have cost us most. But looking back there have been other games we should've won and haven't.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Yesterday was a brilliant watch and just shows what we're capable of. I think if that game was 0-0 at the break, there'd be no urgency and we'd probably go on to lose 1-0 like we have already so many times this season. When you look back at the last month or so we should've won all if not most of those games. We had the hardest run in and I can't think of us being out played of many of those sides. I think with a decent striker up top we win more of those games and that should be our absolute focus this summer. It was those two late goals against Coventry and Preston that have cost us most. But looking back there have been other games we should've won and haven't.

Games at the start of the season we won when we shouldn’t have also though. 
I do think the biggie was the Coventry game, big swing with that handball goal. Grates me that had kaminski been in I don’t think that goal happens 

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

My feelings too

I was out all day yesterday and missed all the fun and games and only looked at the scores when I got home

Woo hoo, we won, and came from behind too, and I'm sure the fans at Millwall enjoyed it, but in the end so bleeding what?

It was our first win in 8, the playoffs chance well and truly botched after a dreadful run, and another promising season wasted and come to naught

And Mowbray in the playoffs and Preston effectively scuppering us twice added to the feelings of frustration and disappointment

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

Yeah I was always expecting kaminski to come back into the side. I don't see any area where pears is better? People rate his contribution and I've sat in the Blackburn end all season and don't see it. For me on his day kaminski is the only player he have/had this season who is premier league quality. I think pears has been a decent back up but I don't see how he has kept our number one out of the team. The only thing I can think is that he is off this summer. 

I think the major difference this season is we have been poor at times but very rarely have been terrible and been absolutely blown away. Even against top sides. Under mowbray we would go on 3/4 game runs of being absolutely useless. We need to back the manager or he will move on and be successful elsewhere.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I'm leaning towards Rev on this one. The only goal I really celebrated from my settee was the Wharton equaliser as we were still in it. By the time JRC scored Sunderland had just gone 2-0 up.

Had I been at The Den I would have been more emotionally invested and probably would have still wanted the victory despite the fact it was clearly going to achieve bugger all. As it was, I watched it unfold almost like a pre-season friendly where you are seeing who is playing well to pus hon for the following season. Of course I was glad they won, and took some pleasure in watching the 'raucous lion-pit' of The Den fall quiet, but the final feeling was still flat, albeit with some excitement that I do feel we are only a few signings away from a very good young side.

As for @arbitro saying it dispels that we are a team of bottlers, I'm not sure it does. I'm sure the players knew the other result was conspiring against them. Had we known it was 3-0 to Preston, and then done that second half comeback,  it would have been a different story. Millwall, on the other hand, for some reason decided to keep attacking us at 3-2. All season we have looked a far more dangerous team on the break than when we have had to break team down. If they had sat back they would probably have soaked us up and yet, despite leading, they kept pressing forward leaving space for us to run into. They most certainly did bottle this, starting with the way they approached that second half.

No they hadn't. It was still 0-0 at Deepdale - Sunderland only scored their first 3 minutes after JRC scored.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Take your point on the whole, but "barely lifted a finger in the previous eight games" incredibly harsh. 

We got back into that as Millwall totally fell apart, and JRC moving into midfield and the addition of Dolan finally got the opposition turned around facing their own goal. One of the better JDT substitutions this season.

It was like watching us at times in certain second halves these season, Rovers are one of those teams that look more vulnerable 2-0 up than we do at 0-0 - and Millwall felt similar. They allowed us space in behind, which is perfect for the way we play, and the more they tired the more it opened up. Some of their lads were dead on their feet. 

As soon as you put pressure on us and surpass our effort, we don't have a chance. See Luton 2nd half, B*rnley away, Rotherham etc. Give us space and it's a different story. 

Edited by Groundhog

So close, heartbreak. Any one if the unlucky events goes iur way and we are in.  Worriesome, seems like some teams that narrowly miss out struggle the next season.  Must keep and get JDT the players he wants.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

We got back into that as Millwall totally fell apart, and JRC moving into midfield and the addition of Dolan finally got the opposition turned around facing their own goal. One of the better JDT substitutions this season.

It was like watching us at times in certain second halves these season, Rovers are one of those teams that look more vulnerable 2-0 up than we do at 0-0 - and Millwall felt similar. They allowed us space in behind, which is perfect for the way we play, and the more they tired the more it opened up. Some of their lads were dead on their feet. 

As soon as you put pressure on us and surpass our effort, we don't have a chance. See Luton 2nd half, B*rnley away, Rotherham etc. Give us space and it's a different story. 

Full disclosure: I didn't see the game yesterday. I wasn't even keeping up with the live scores to be honest.

But I do get the feeling we're scared of success. The minute we're in a position that there's no chance of success, we turn it on.

It was the same when Bowyer was here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

A lot of assumptions there. The fact is we came back from 3-1 down to an in probably the most intimidating ground in the country. Millwall played on the break for most of the second half because we were attacking them. It was only after the fourth goal and we brought Ayala on that we sat in deeper.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Full disclosure: I didn't see the game yesterday. I wasn't even keeping up with the live scores to be honest.

But I do get the feeling we're scared of success. The minute we're in a position that there's no chance of success, we turn it on.

It was the same when Bowyer was here.

Nail, hammer, head Bryan.

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

No they hadn't. It was still 0-0 at Deepdale - Sunderland only scored their first 3 minutes after JRC scored.

If you're going to be pedantic I feel compelled to point out thats completely irrelevant as a draw was no use to us, we needed a win in any event regardless of other results.

By the time we took the lead for the first time at 4-3 on 86 mins the game was long since up as Sunderland had gone 3 up some 19 minutes earlier

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Nail, hammer, head Bryan.

I think the origins of this are the owners. No ambition other than vague mention of a "project". It's balls, it's absolute bloody balls. The way this club is set up with so many people on easy Street, we'll never be successful.

I tell you what the project should be. Never take a backward step, let no one outwork you, be second to no one when it comes to hard work, preparation, application and belief. Never give anything up, and if you go down, go down fighting.

Instead we get all this cobblers about journeys and projects. It's just displacement talk, deferring actually achieving anything to some unspecified future point. It saps the life out of people, ruins morale and ensures you'll stay stuck where you are

• Like 8