BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pre season 23/24

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dont get this, lose experience, replacing with youth.

The youth will get experience and become better players for the experience 

We may disagree on the type of midfielder but we both agree that we need one in. Add to Travis, Wharton, Buckley, Rankin Costello, Szmodics and maybe Brierley, how many games is Garrett going to realistically play? Get him to try and play regularly and well in League 1 and re-evaluate. Questions over quality and also how much he will play.

Injuries will happen and I would use Garrett here. Good midfield who put his foot in and tackle. Plus good left with passing. You have questions over his quality I deffo don't and I rated him highly

Likewise Leonard, he hasn't played despite us not having strikers. Is he going to play anything other than the odd cameo if he stays? Get him scoring in League 1 if he is up to it. Id sell Vale, nowhere near and never will be.

Leonard is an option and I would keep him here and develop him. 

Just look at Markanday situation for prime example. Unless you 100% Guarantee he will play but I don't want to keep loaning in players and signing replacements just adding the wage bill. 

Phillips is the most complex, the closest to the team but again, how often will he play? Ideally he would go and prove that he can play 40 games a season for 90 minutes as he has had issues cramping up in many games. Get someone with experience which we need and let Ayala go.

Phillips will be 3rd or 4th choice next season. He will get his chance but yet again down to players form and that what I based my team selection on playing form. 

why not keep Ayala on lesser wage if you want experience. 

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The youth will get experience and become better players for the experience 

Injuries will happen and I would use Garrett here. Good midfield who put his foot in and tackle. Plus good left with passing. You have questions over his quality I deffo don't and I rated him highly

Leonard is an option and I would keep him here and develop him. 

Just look at Markanday situation for prime example. Unless you 100% Guarantee he will play but I don't want to keep loaning in players and signing replacements just adding the wage bill. 

Phillips will be 3rd or 4th choice next season. He will get his chance but yet again down to players form and that what I based my team selection on playing form. 

why not keep Ayala on lesser wage if you want experience. 

But you want a midfielder, say Knight for example. Opening day, assume him, Wharton, Rankin Costello, Travis, Buckley and Szmodics are all fit, Garrett doesn't get a sniff of the squad, not factoring in Brierley. So from his persepctive, surely a loan spell elsewhere will give him a much bigger chance of gaining that experience he needs? Same with Leonard, cant get a game with no strikers available, add presumably a new striker if not 2 and Gallagher, will he make the squad? How does he develop?

I wouldn't want Ayala to stay because he can't stay fit enough to justify a decent wage. But not only does your plan to keep all these youngsters hinder their chances of getting much football, but how does this fit in with us genuinely going to the play offs? Shedding all of the experience, you dont mind Kaminski going, Ayala, Dack all departing an already young side that has collapsed 2 years in a row.

Examples are good and bad on both sides. Markanday has not had a sniff, others didnt go out. Carter and Wharton did and really pushed on. 

On 10/05/2023 at 15:30, Aqualung said:

From a purely selfish point of view I would like Rovers to have a few games in the south and West of Sweden. Malmo, Halmstad and Gothenburg. Halmstads ground is on my doorstep and both malmo and gothenburg less than 2 hours away. 

But preferably not FF Trelleborg, please?!😉 That journey's etched on my soul!!

If we have a Scottish training camp pre-season like we did before the season just ended, maybe we could fix up some Scottish Premiership/League One opposition different from the teams we've played since about 2018. (NOT Queen's Park, for Historic reasons, though!)

Edited by R0verb0y

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

But you want a midfielder, say Knight for example. Opening day, assume him, Wharton, Rankin Costello, Travis, Buckley and Szmodics are all fit, Garrett doesn't get a sniff of the squad, not factoring in Brierley. So from his persepctive, surely a loan spell elsewhere will give him a much bigger chance of gaining that experience he needs? Same with Leonard, cant get a game with no strikers available, add presumably a new striker if not 2 and Gallagher, will he make the squad? How does he develop?

lets first get the first game and even see who we sign first before we start discussing potential opening day line ups, 

If JRC is moving to CM as his interview then its quite possible we won't need another CM but actually a back up RB. 

If Gallagher is staying then I think 1 striker signing might be enough if we someone who could Left side attacker and number 9 for example. 

I wouldn't want Ayala to stay because he can't stay fit enough to justify a decent wage. But not only does your plan to keep all these youngsters hinder their chances of getting much football, but how does this fit in with us genuinely going to the play offs? Shedding all of the experience, you dont mind Kaminski going, Ayala, Dack all departing an already young side that has collapsed 2 years in a row.

Shedding all of the experience? not all. Still plenty of experience in this squad like Hyam, Travis, Hedges, Gallagher, Szmodics, Brittain, Pickering. Plus the players I have suggested like Nisbet(26), Ogbene(26) or Maja(24) aren't young players but players between 24 to 26 years old and with experience. Even Jason Knight has over 150 appearances majority at Championship level unless your post yesterday suggesting they were at lower leagues level. I haven't suggested signing under 21's players but players between 22-26 aged with some experience and whether Championship or SPL or even overseas experience. 

Examples are good and bad on both sides. Markanday has not had a sniff, others didnt go out. Carter and Wharton did and really pushed on. 

Fair point. Hold my hands on that. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

lets first get the first game and even see who we sign first before we start discussing potential opening day line ups, 

If JRC is moving to CM as his interview then its quite possible we won't need another CM but actually a back up RB. 

If Gallagher is staying then I think 1 striker signing might be enough if we someone who could Left side attacker and number 9 for example. 

Shedding all of the experience? not all. Still plenty of experience in this squad like Hyam, Travis, Hedges, Gallagher, Szmodics, Brittain, Pickering. Plus the players I have suggested like Nisbet(26), Ogbene(26) or Maja(24) aren't young players but players between 24 to 26 years old and with experience. Even Jason Knight has over 150 appearances majority at Championship level unless your post yesterday suggesting they were at lower leagues level. I haven't suggested signing under 21's players but players between 22-26 aged with some experience and whether Championship or SPL or even overseas experience. 

Fair point. Hold my hands on that. 

Still hardly a group of leaders that can guide the younger players to promotion IMO, most of them have been part of the last 2 collapses. The likes of Hedges, Gallagher, Pickering, Brittain and Szmodics are hardly players that the others will look for guidance from.

I just think that Garrett (even if we didn't sign another midfielder) and Leonard have a lot in the way to play many minutes, rather than keep them on the fringes with the odd chance in a cup game or amidst an injury crisis, go out and get 40 games in League 1 and then its a different conversation next summer.

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Still hardly a group of leaders that can guide the younger players to promotion IMO, most of them have been part of the last 2 collapses. The likes of Hedges, Gallagher, Pickering, Brittain and Szmodics are hardly players that the others will look for guidance from.

I just think that Garrett (even if we didn't sign another midfielder) and Leonard have a lot in the way to play many minutes, rather than keep them on the fringes with the odd chance in a cup game or amidst an injury crisis, go out and get 40 games in League 1 and then its a different conversation next summer.

I don't think either season collapses was down to experience but this season was down to lack of quality striker sign in January.

2 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

But preferably not FF Trelleborg, please?!😉 That journey's etched on my soul!!

If we have a Scottish training camp pre-season like we did before the season just ended, maybe we could fix up some Scottish Premiership/League One opposition different from the teams we've played since about 2018. (NOT Queen's Park, for Historic reasons, though!)

I agree... One trip to Trelleborg is enough. 

I was just thinking selfishly as I live in Sweden and I doubt rovers will come here. But for those rovers fans who would want to travel it's such an easy trip. EasyJet fly from Manchester to Copenhagen most days and booked in advance it's not to expensive ( summer time maybe so). 

Jump on the train at Copenhagen Airport... 30 minutes into malmo. 2 hours appx to halmstad.. And then an additional 90 minutes up to gothenburg. All on the same train line. 

If we still have jdt pre season... And considering his connection to Swedish football I thought it could be possible. 

That said, our close season is bang in the middle of the Swedish football season as the poofs don't like to play in the cold and snow!!!!!!

There is also Helsingborg from the Swedish 2nd division bit of a famous club here and Varberg ( Swedish Premier) also on the same train line. All between malmo and gothenburg. Easy easy. 

Edited by Aqualung
Missed info
  • Like 2

Reading between the lines on todays lancs telegraph article which involves pre season.. it’s stated some of rovers pre season games lined up depends on weather we are in the same league from relegation or promotion , so reading between those lines it looks like Leeds or wolves  and Bolton 

3 hours ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Reading between the lines on todays lancs telegraph article which involves pre season.. it’s stated some of rovers pre season games lined up depends on weather we are in the same league from relegation or promotion , so reading between those lines it looks like Leeds or wolves  and Bolton 

Everton, Blackpool

Edited by rigger

3 hours ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Probably either Leeds or Everton plus Bolton and maybe Bolton as you say. 

1 minute ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Yes but the article was from today and it states depending on relegation and promotion 

But it did not mean that every friendly, was dependant on relegation or promotion. Just that any games would not be announced until all games were agreed.

Just seen an advert for the Premier league summer series here in the US. Tickets starting at 45 up in the gods and some even cost several hundred. That's a lot of money in a huge American football stadium! Divided by 4 teams as its a double-header. 9 matches in total for 6 teams. Guessing we won't be as adventurous this summer.

Personally I would much prefer watching Rovers vs Accy/Wigan with a pie in one hand a cup of bovril in the other for a tenner.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hannoverover said:

Just seen an advert for the Premier league summer series here in the US. Tickets starting at 45 up in the gods and some even cost several hundred. That's a lot of money in a huge American football stadium! Divided by 4 teams as its a double-header. 9 matches in total for 6 teams. Guessing we won't be as adventurous this summer.

Personally I would much prefer watching Rovers vs Accy/Wigan with a pie in one hand a cup of bovril in the other for a tenner.

Right on, one thing is I love about pre season is local matches in good weather or even games over in Scotland, did Kilmarnock, hibs and rangers but Celtic I couldn’t due to my ex employers being pricks not letting me off despite notice 

• Like 1

Blackburn Rovers plan new-look pre-season with overseas friendlies | Lancashire Telegraph

Looks like back-to-back pre-season games on the weekends this summer instead of weekend-midweek.

Pre-season game at Ewood planned for week before season starts.

Two pre-season games planned as part of overseas training camp. Hope is they will be open to Rovers fans. 

Key dates for new season are:

• Fixture Release Date – Thursday 22 June 2023, 9am
  • Start Date – Saturday 5 August 2023 (with a likely live game on Friday 4 August)
  • Carabao Cup Round One – w/c 7 August 2023
  • Carabao Cup Final – Sunday 25 February 2024
  • EFL Trophy Round One – w/c 4 September 2023
  • EFL Trophy Final – Sunday 7 April 2024
  • League One Play-Off Final – Saturday 18 May 2024
  • League Two Play-Off Final – Sunday 19 May 2024
  • Championship Play-Off Final – Sunday 26 May 2024
Edited by Cherry Blue
  • Like 2

On 25/05/2023 at 10:15, Jcsbarna said:

Hi all, new to the board (posting at least), lancs lad living in Spain here! Heard a rumour that Rovers might be playing a pre season friendly in Madrid vs Athletico, wondered if anyone has heard anything about this? Cheers!

Hope so, as I can drive there. Be nice to play Elche, as I can walk there. 

• Backroom
3 hours ago, lraC said:

Hope so, as I can drive there. Be nice to play Elche, as I can walk there. 

Elche are how I was able to watch Los Galacticos for €5. Figo, Salgado, Raul, R9, Carlos, Guti, hellfire what a side that was.