BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

13 minutes ago, ABBEY said:

did you have the same views under uncle jack?

There was a limit to Jack's budget.

City's budget is practically infinite.

Also mentioning Jack Walker in the same sentence as a bunch of backwards human rights abusing inbreeds is just down right sacrilege. HOW DARE YOU SIR!

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Appreciate they’ve spent a lot of money, but they haven’t spent as much as Chelsea, or Man United….

Players have been well coached and a lot of them have improved under Pep, I don’t think they’d have had the same success under different managers.

With that being said, they should obviously have faced some sanctions for all these charges by now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Tottenham fans are singing "Are you watching Arsenal?" since Haarland scored against them. What a sad small club mentality.

I was having a head's gone at this. Could understand slightly if they had nowt to play for but by losing last night they've forsaken a chance at the remaining Champions League spot. More bothered about someone else failing than the team they shell out thousands to see and support being successful. Fair play to Ange Long-Surname afterwards for managing to just about bite his tongue.

And yes, I would say the same if it was Burnley top and us playing last night. My angle is loyalty to those in blue and white halves, not hatred to those in claret and blue. Imagine being sat at home next season watching Villa potentially playing Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or Inter Milan and thinking "At least Arsenal didn't win the title", whilst of course using lack of qualification to it to beat Ange with when he inevitably gets shown the door.

Wet Spam to draw and Arsenal to win on Sunday please for the Spurs meltdown please.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GHR said:

I was having a head's gone at this. Could understand slightly if they had nowt to play for but by losing last night they've forsaken a chance at the remaining Champions League spot. More bothered about someone else failing than the team they shell out thousands to see and support being successful. Fair play to Ange Long-Surname afterwards for managing to just about bite his tongue.

And yes, I would say the same if it was Burnley top and us playing last night. My angle is loyalty to those in blue and white halves, not hatred to those in claret and blue. Imagine being sat at home next season watching Villa potentially playing Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or Inter Milan and thinking "At least Arsenal didn't win the title", whilst of course using lack of qualification to it to beat Ange with when he inevitably gets shown the door.

Wet Spam to draw and Arsenal to win on Sunday please for the Spurs meltdown please.

I never wanted my team to lose, ever. Be it a cup final or coats down on the local common. To win was why we play, or it should be.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ABBEY said:

did you have the same views under uncle jack?

Jack didn’t have the wealth a nation state has.
A lot of our buys weren’t always the best player in that role, they were the guys that fitted in. Was Ripley the best winger when we bought him ? Le Saux the best left back ? Hendry the best centre half ? 
City can buy the best players on the planet.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

There’s no comparison. City’s second team could probably beat any other team outside the top four Prem sides. It’s not just the individual amounts they’ve spent it the number of signings they make. They’ve signed players in the past just to stop them signing for other clubs.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I never wanted my team to lose, ever. Be it a cup final or coats down on the local common. To win was why we play, or it should be.

I would absolutely celebrate Rovers losing if it meant stopping Burnley from winning the league, I’d be shocked if that wasn’t the majority opinion on here. I’ve seen Rovers lose hundreds of times, one more won’t hurt.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

For me it's the fact Spurs fans think they're a top club despite not winning anything for years. Top clubs get on with trying to win and not brag about losing. Neither us or Burnley swagger about gobbing off like a bunch of fools about how great we are.

The bit in bold is exactly what many Bonleh fans do indeed do.

1 hour ago, ABBEY said:

ok we didn't smash transfer records then ?

was hendry an uncle jack signing , my memory cant recall haha.

I mean we kind of didn't, I think signing Shearer was a British record at the time but not close to a European or world record, and that got eclipsed by Man utd signing Keane(?) within a year. He wasn't even a record fee for a British player - Platt and Gascoigne went for more in the same season, just in Italy, assuming Transfermarkt is accurate.

That was about it as far as smashing transfer records. Shearer to Newcastle was a world record when it happened.

We did spend a lot of money for the time though. I think Chris Sutton was our most expensive signing overall, but we paid less than Man utd did for Andy Cole in the same season.

Hendry a bit of an odd one in that he signed in '87 (before Jack), left in '89 and then re-signed in '91, so he both wasn't and was an Uncle Jack signing.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AspRover said:

I mean we kind of didn't, I think signing Shearer was a British record at the time but not close to a European or world record, and that got eclipsed by Man utd signing Keane(?) within a year. He wasn't even a record fee for a British player - Platt and Gascoigne went for more in the same season, just in Italy, assuming Transfermarkt is accurate.

That was about it as far as smashing transfer records. Shearer to Newcastle was a world record when it happened.

We did spend a lot of money for the time though. I think Chris Sutton was our most expensive signing overall, but we paid less than Man utd did for Andy Cole in the same season.

Hendry a bit of an odd one in that he signed in '87 (before Jack), left in '89 and then re-signed in '91, so he both wasn't and was an Uncle Jack signing.

We did break the British transfer record for Sutton in the summer of 1994. Cole moved to United in January 1995 and broke it again.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

It is sometimes conveniently overlooked but the majority of our big signings under Dalglish were sold on for significant profits (although we didn't want some to go). I'm thinking of  Shearer, Sutton, Le Saux and others. The converse happened under Kidd and Hodgson when we bought average Joe's for big money and pretty much gave them away. The likes of Carsley, Blake, Dailly, Davies and others were disastrous signings. The success of managers is sometimes determined by the quality of their signings.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Appreciate they’ve spent a lot of money, but they haven’t spent as much as Chelsea, or Man United….

Players have been well coached and a lot of them have improved under Pep, I don’t think they’d have had the same success under different managers.

With that being said, they should obviously have faced some sanctions for all these charges by now.

Surely that depends on whether you believe their books or not…

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’s no comparison. City’s second team could probably beat any other team outside the top four Prem sides. It’s not just the individual amounts they’ve spent it the number of signings they make. They’ve signed players in the past just to stop them signing for other clubs.

I don't know. 

City have spent astronomical sums, but so have every major side in European football. They've at least built a squad over time, have some academy influence, and have key players who've been around for years (the same can be said for Liverpool and Arsenal).

We really aren't in a position to be overly critical of the way money changed football. We were one of the clubs that started the fire.

Like Duncan Shearer?

• Like 1

One of the big issues around the Spurs fans' mentality is not that they celebrated Arsenal not winning the league, it is that they also celebrated themselves not being able to qualify for the Champions League

It is a real small time mentality to be celebrating that. City could have still won the league had they lost. Spurs however have another season where they sit outside of the top 4 and have won fuck all. Yet their fans did the Poznan

• Like 3

Rovers did that in 1991-92. Duncan Shearer was banging them in for Swindon. Rovers signed him, he played a few times, may have scored 1 or 2, and the last Rovers fans saw of him was in a suit watching at Wembley. He was sold in the summer. 

Here is transfermarkt for 1992-93; https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/transfers/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/1992

Rovers outspent all other teams, but looking at it they bought a whole new squad and many lasted a few years so overall it wasn't the moneybags moniker Rovers were unfairly given. 

As to City, Guardiola came in and bettered what Mancini and Pelligrini did. Those two could buy whoever they wanted, and Guardiola benefitted from that. Guardiola's big signings have been Haaland, Grealish, Dias, and Walker. Those 4 were arguably the best available for their positions. But he's also done very well with the rest of his squad, a testament to his abilities. Ederson, Akanji, Ake, Rhodri, Bernardo Silva, Stones and a few others are all class. How many of them would have been if they weren't playing under Guardiola?  

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I don't know. 

City have spent astronomical sums, but so have every major side in European football. They've at least built a squad over time, have some academy influence, and have key players who've been around for years (the same can be said for Liverpool and Arsenal).

We really aren't in a position to be overly critical of the way money changed football. We were one of the clubs that started the fire.

I suppose you’re right. Nobody ever signed top class players before we did.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

One of the big issues around the Spurs fans' mentality is not that they celebrated Arsenal not winning the league, it is that they also celebrated themselves not being able to qualify for the Champions League

It is a real small time mentality to be celebrating that. City could have still won the league had they lost. Spurs however have another season where they sit outside of the top 4 and have won fuck all. Yet their fans did the Poznan

Their odds of sneaking into the top 4 would have been long even had they won last night. Villa would have only needed a draw to secure a Champions League spot.

When you then factor in that an equaliser would have done nothing to help them, I can somewhat understand why they weren't particularly fussed.

The reaction would have been exactly the same at Ewood had we been in a similar set of circumstances. 

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I suppose you’re right. Nobody ever signed top class players before we did.

You can't have it both ways.

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

We did break the British transfer record for Sutton in the summer of 1994. Cole moved to United in January 1995 and broke it again.

Ah I got the order backwards, it's almost like I was seven when it happened...