BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (H) - 19/08/2023

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher was as good as he has been for a while. His role today would not require an explanation. Not only did he offer us a threat, he helped to protect Brittain who was hopeless.

Gally was playing with an injury for a while last season, doing the hard yards for the side until he was forced to sit things out and recover. 

He was very good yesterday, scored, we can’t ask for more than that from him.

Pity we couldn’t hang on, we draw a line under that game and move on.

Onwards and upwards. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You watch any other ground, if the away side take a late lead, the ground empties. I don’t understand it myself, you need to carry on supporting the team, as they then need it more than ever.

But that’s football fans.

Never have understood people leaving early unless of course your 5-0 down.

Ah it's 2-1 to them, fuck it lets be going home. Nothing to see here, only 10 minutes left.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rigger said:

I do not profess to having a clue about modern tactics, that is why I would like to hear JDTs reasoning behind todays way of playing.

Up to the red card, it looked to me like we were playing a high risk very open style. It reminded me of the second half V Millwall last season.

At that point, it crossed my mind that JDT was perhaps thinking, what have we to lose here? Until and if we have some new signings in, I’m on a hiding to nothing, so just okay open football and hope to win 4-3 or something. I think he even eluded to that in his pre match interview.

It changed after the sending off, as we retreated a bit. We may well do the same next Sunday though. 

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher was as good as he has been for a while. His role today would not require an explanation. Not only did he offer us a threat, he helped to protect Brittain who was hopeless.

I commented yesterday, is he our tallest ever left back? Maybe he's our tallest ever right back as well, that would be a strange record,especially for a forward. 

Edited by M_B

Entertaining game but costly. Gallagher was star player gave everything. 

Long long transfer window plus the time it will take to get players up to speed makes these first games a bonus missed. If the these dream players don't happen we will fall short of last season.

Edited by Cherry Blue

16 minutes ago, lraC said:

Up to the red card, it looked to me like we were playing a high risk very open style. It reminded me of the second half V Millwall last season.

At that point, it crossed my mind that JDT was perhaps thinking, what have we to lose here? Until and if we have some new signings in, I’m on a hiding to nothing, so just okay open football and hope to win 4-3 or something. I think he even eluded to that in his pre match interview.

It changed after the sending off, as we retreated a bit. We may well do the same next Sunday though. 

He's stressed a few times in recent interviews how important it is to entertain the fans. Some games last year were terrible in terms of entertainment. I haven't found any game this season dull to be fair. We do seem more willing to take risks this season, obviously it ain't gonna always work out though. I guess it's all about balance really. Also playing as such becomes much less risky when you are more lethal in an attacking sense, hopefully that aspect improves if Gregg can provide the goods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

You watch any other ground, if the away side take a late lead, the ground empties. I don’t understand it myself, you need to carry on supporting the team, as they then need it more than ever.

But that’s football fans.

Yep Ewood is pretty bad for that sort of thing although it isn't unusual in football.

Yesterday however the side deserved a clap off from everybody, yes it's bitterly disappointing and annoying but they don't lose on purpose this shit happens. Slapped arse reaction by fans doesn't help anybody and to me it suggests a dollop of our match going fans STILL don't get what we are up against right now.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yep Ewood is pretty bad for that sort of thing although it isn't unusual in football.

Yesterday however the side deserved a clap off from everybody, yes it's bitterly disappointing and annoying but they don't lose on purpose this shit happens. Slapped arse reaction by fans doesn't help anybody and to me it suggests a dollop of our match going fans STILL don't get what we are up against right now.

The ones that stayed seemed fairly level headed about it from what I was hearing around me.

3 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Christ people used to flood for the exits early even in '95, there's not a cat in hells chance it's gonna change now. 

When there was 23k on.

Some need to grow a spine they react like it's been done on purpose as an insult to them.

And for balance iv'e both defended why it probably happened but why it shouldn't really beyond those who shuffle off anyway even if it's 0-0 and we are attacking !

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

When there was 23k on.

Some need to grow a spine they react like it's been done on purpose as an insult to them.

And for balance iv'e both defended why it probably happened but why it shouldn't really beyond those who shuffle off anyway even if it's 0-0 and we are attacking !

I always refer to an FA Cup quarter final replay against Millwall a few years ago. The game was awful, one of the worst in living memory and we were one down. Although we were playing pitifully bad there was always a chance we could have nicked an equaliser and force extra time. I was staggered to see so many people leaving from the 85th minute onwards. I really think many do it out of habit.

• Like 2

Was at the game yesterday, plus have seen the short highlights on the Sky sports app.

My views, for what it’s worth -
no complaints on the red card, it’s a mistake from Pickering (who got away with a similar one just a moment or so before) and then it is compounded by the foul. Obviously, with hindsight, it would have been better to have let the lad go on and have a shot, and if he scores we’re 1-0 down but still 11v11 - but in the heat of the moment it isn’t always possible to think quite so rationally. 
From that point on though I thought we were very good. We didn’t just retreat and sit back like Rotherham did against us last week, but we still looked to press and get forward when we could - that said, however, after we took the lead personally I would have liked to see us shut up shop - bring Garrett on for Ennis (I know that would have been cruel, but needs must), and go to a 4-5-0 formation almost, let the defence sit deeper and just try to keep everything in front of us - if they score a screamer from 30 yards so be it, but to allow space in behind like we did for their goals is just criminal really. 
I thought Hedges was our stand out performer - and unlucky not to be given MotM. Calm on the ball, always available for a pass and worked like a trojan all game. 
Gallagher was very good when he came on and took his goal very well - although then missed another chance - so perhaps just a typical Sam Gallagher type of game 🤷‍♂️
Equally, Ennis did ok, but should have done better with his chance (and it wasn’t a penalty in the aftermath, despite what my son who watched at home tried to tell me!)
Pears was exceptional for 80 minutes - kept us in the game with a number of good saves, even at 11v11 (Wharton, JRC and Travis all have him to thank for sparing them from being the villain of the piece) - but then had a horror show for their second. The first goal, I don’t think you can blame him for,  but the second…
He just seems to lose where he is in relation to the goal, which I think is a consequence of having to back-pedal as he was playing almost as a sweeper. Incidentally, I remember Kaminski doing something similar in one his first matches for us (maybe at Watford) - and then after that he seemed to stay in his area more (perhaps under orders). Again, if we’d sat deeper at 1-0, and even at 1-1, then that goal, and that error, wouldn’t happen 🤷‍♂️

All in all, not the most enjoyable afternoon, but far better than I expected after 17 minutes, when the red card came out, and I came away feeling proud of the team. If we play with that kind of spirit and effort all season, I think we’ll win more than we lose

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I always refer to an FA Cup quarter final replay against Millwall a few years ago. The game was awful, one of the worst in living memory and we were one down. Although we were playing pitifully bad there was always a chance we could have nicked an equaliser and force extra time. I was staggered to see so many people leaving from the 85th minute onwards. I really think many do it out of habit.

That's why i'm annoyed about it because younger fans just think it's the done thing when it shouldn't be.

There are times to be justifiably disgusted at your team but yesterday wasn't one so lets just hope it's chalked off as one of those days that happen occasionally. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

A pal of mine always left 5 minutes before the end at the Rugby League. No matter what the score was. It could be the closest game you ever saw and he’d be gone. “ I need to beat the traffic “ he told me. This was when we were getting 2,000 gates !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Again not enough from Pears there for me. 

he could have dealt with both goals better. Both times he could see the play happen before it happened. The ball coming through, he should have just come out, spread himself and make the goal big for Connolly, Instead, he sat back in the middle of the box, in no mans land, on his heels and at that moment its too easy to score.

The other goal, blimey, the ball comes into the area again, as a keeper just come out and punch the ball, or just come out and clear everybody in your way. 

4 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

Was at the game yesterday, plus have seen the short highlights on the Sky sports app.

My views, for what it’s worth -
no complaints on the red card, it’s a mistake from Pickering (who got away with a similar one just a moment or so before) and then it is compounded by the foul. Obviously, with hindsight, it would have been better to have let the lad go on and have a shot, and if he scores we’re 1-0 down but still 11v11 - but in the heat of the moment it isn’t always possible to think quite so rationally. 
From that point on though I thought we were very good. We didn’t just retreat and sit back like Rotherham did against us last week, but we still looked to press and get forward when we could - that said, however, after we took the lead personally I would have liked to see us shut up shop - bring Garrett on for Ennis (I know that would have been cruel, but needs must), and go to a 4-5-0 formation almost, let the defence sit deeper and just try to keep everything in front of us - if they score a screamer from 30 yards so be it, but to allow space in behind like we did for their goals is just criminal really. 
I thought Hedges was our stand out performer - and unlucky not to be given MotM. Calm on the ball, always available for a pass and worked like a trojan all game. 
Gallagher was very good when he came on and took his goal very well - although then missed another chance - so perhaps just a typical Sam Gallagher type of game 🤷‍♂️
Equally, Ennis did ok, but should have done better with his chance (and it wasn’t a penalty in the aftermath, despite what my son who watched at home tried to tell me!)
Pears was exceptional for 80 minutes - kept us in the game with a number of good saves, even at 11v11 (Wharton, JRC and Travis all have him to thank for sparing them from being the villain of the piece) - but then had a horror show for their second. The first goal, I don’t think you can blame him for,  but the second…
He just seems to lose where he is in relation to the goal, which I think is a consequence of having to back-pedal as he was playing almost as a sweeper. Incidentally, I remember Kaminski doing something similar in one his first matches for us (maybe at Watford) - and then after that he seemed to stay in his area more (perhaps under orders). Again, if we’d sat deeper at 1-0, and even at 1-1, then that goal, and that error, wouldn’t happen 🤷‍♂️

All in all, not the most enjoyable afternoon, but far better than I expected after 17 minutes, when the red card came out, and I came away feeling proud of the team. If we play with that kind of spirit and effort all season, I think we’ll win more than we lose

That’s the difference between the good players and the also-rans. They can think rationally in the heat of the moment. “ Correct decision making at speed under pressure is what makes the top players what they are “.

Pickering didn't cover himself in glory for his sending off yesterday but he had to come across from left back position to cover for the nomadic Carter and Hyam. Delap was the player they should have been picking up but, as they did too often yesterday they got caught badly out of position. Hopefully Damien Johnson drags them into the video suite tomorrow and shows them where they should have been.

26 minutes ago, tomphil said:

When there was 23k on.

It's just a habit (a strange one if you ask me). There's people that will leave as soon as the clock says 82 minutes, every single game. Well they'll end up missing a fair few goals this season especially. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Iceman said:

he could have dealt with both goals better. Both times he could see the play happen before it happened. The ball coming through, he should have just come out, spread himself and make the goal big for Connolly, Instead, he sat back in the middle of the box, in no mans land, on his heels and at that moment its too easy to score.

The other goal, blimey, the ball comes into the area again, as a keeper just come out and punch the ball, or just come out and clear everybody in your way. 

Pears got blamed by some for not doing better for the two goals at Rotherham as well as yesterday. 

All I can say is, Wahlstetd has been set a ridiculously high bar if/when he gets his chance. I hope he's good enough to keep the likes of those efforts out,as he's supposedly accomplished with his feet as well, we'll have a £50 million keeper on our hands. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 2

I personally don’t see Pears as a good enough all round keeper to be first choice for this level, and I’ve thought that since Easter.

So I’d like the new fella to be given a chance. No particular expectations, I’d never heard of the bloke a month ago, but the club has deemed he was worth what is now a sizeable fee for this atrophied version of brfc, a Sweden cap. So let’s see how he goes.

• Like 3

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, M_B said:

Pears got blamed by some for not doing better for the two goals at Rotherham as well as yesterday. 

All I can say is, Wahlstetd has been set a ridiculously high bar if/when he gets his chance. I hope he's good enough to keep the likes of those efforts out,as he's supposedly accomplished with his feet as well, we'll have a £50 million keeper on our hands. 

His ‘high bar’ is only to be better than Pears. As a capped Swede, I think he’ll manage.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Sorry, but if people can't see who the real culprits were for their goals, then I give up. 

Two straight balls down the centre, not read by the cb:s, were far more culpable than Pears.

• Like 6