BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Watford (a) - 27/8/23

9 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

ust seen this pic on twitter…Speaks volumes of Dolan heading down the tunnel (may need to zoom in) whilst everyone else claps the away fans.

has dolan got the bertie big b*****s syndrome because of his contract status,if he has then he should look at himself,we could easily do without him

• Like 5

At the start of the season I would have expected to beat Hull at home but lost away at Watford so we're about where I expected.

Not a pretty performance but how proud of that team and JDT. Gave everything on the pitch.

Back line as a unit we're solid and put everything on the line, a brilliant clean sheet, our first away of 2023.

Midfield really dug in but sloppy on the breakaway. I don't doubt Whartons potential but he does give it away a little too often. Classy on the ball but just needs to perfect that decision making.

Up top, Hedges was solid and that goal was special, great to see. Leonard was up against some big athletic units and struggled but will be ok in time. 

Dolan has regressed so far it seems. I know his press was important last season but so far this year I don't see him offering anything. Little choice right now but we need better on that side and up top.

Taking nothing away, it was a fantastic team effort and thrilled with the 3 points.

JDT interview seemed to avoid the questions asked just to get his point heard again.

Edited by Southside Rover
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

has dolan got the bertie big b*****s syndrome because of his contract status,if he has then he should look at himself,we could easily do without him

And without him we more easily do it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

Agreed.

I’ve seen a few comments saying that our performance was poor (but the result was good), which I don’t agree with at all.

In away games like that, you actively submit possession, soak up the pressure and try to take the chances you get.

Textbook away performance and result for me.

He said in the interview on the pitch straight after the game that he knew we had to sit deep cos of Watford's quality.

He got it spot on. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Vale would have helped his cause by breaking a sweat every now and again. 

His best role was coming on and closing down from the front seeing games out he busted a gut a few times doing that.

Up top on his own like Leonard yesterday he was like a lost boy although to be fair to Leonard he still makes some good movement in the box.  Back to goal though is a waste of time though against the centre backs in this league you need physical presence.

2 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Yeap both not good enough. Leonard shows glimpses and has a nice touch but he’s definitely not ready yet.

Dolan is low on confidence and I feel has just lost his position to Moran.

As has Leonard to Gally.....think Gally and Moran will start at Plymouth.

• Like 3

Overall a fantastic result with a lot of grit shown. Wasn't the best performance I've seen from some of them but can't fault the effort. Watford for all their possesion didnt trouble us as much as they should. I think JDT was spot on with his approach to this, so many times we got into good positions attacking their back line on the break which we mostly wasted. 

Player wise:

Pears made a couple of key saves

Solid central defence particularly Hyam.

Brittain I rate more than others on here, I think he's our most balanced full back and I predict him to be 1st choice at either rb or LB for the remainder of the season.

Scott Wharton had a solid cameo to see out the game.

Travis worked hard with his classic shithousery antics.

Wharton showed his class in moments.

Wasn't Szmodics best game. 

Pleased to see Hedges score a quality goal as he is very useful in the middle third of the pitch.

Dolan - best thing I can say is he did his defensive work well, he's regressing and it's a big worry. He's had this chance at the start of the season to nail a place down and he's doing the opposite. I'm surprised he's not signed whatever contract we've put in front of him given his current form. As others have said he looks to have bulked up to the detriment of his game.

Moran- some encouraging signs towards the end.

Gally - better option than Leonard atm, still frustrates me.

Leonard - I see a player in there but it's clear he isn't ready atm and ideally he'd come out now and drop back to the under 21s. He's not physically ready, he needs to improve his core strength to hold defenders off.

• Like 2

Buzzing for the boys today, got what they deserved today after not getting it last week. As I said yesterday, leave Brittain at left back, he's fine there and looks better than Pickering to me. Always really rated Ryan Hedges, a very overlooked player, hopefully kicks on and shows us what he's really capable of on a consistent basis. Big mention to Pears, gets a lot of unfair stick in my opinion, always looks decent to me. Leanord doesn't look ready, I'd keep giving him appearances and easing him in but it seems too much to ask to start at the moment. I've stuck up for Dolan for a while but he was absolutely dogsh*t today, he looked lost, offered nothing going forward, offered no protection either. We need more going forward before the window closes. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

great result today and you will have to score an extra special goal to beat that goal to goal of the season.

So true. Also a goal like that given the circumstances and what we need from our "senior" players. Away from home and a clean sheet. It's just joy