BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 16/09/2023

For a neutral that must've been a great game to watch but for me and expect even many boro fans it was nail biting stuff, that's entertainment though as they say.

Some cracking football but some terrible giving the ball away needlessly all over the park by us, how that didn't end up 4-4 i'll never know.  

JDT backed Pears and was proven right again but we really needed an older head in the middle and Wharton was a liability after 70 mins. I was dreading Wharton snr coming on and us going to 3 at the back trying to hold on when what we needed was someone shielding the defence in deep mid.  Liked what i saw of James Hill in that position even if only for a few mins, thought Brittain had is best game for a while and thank god for Sammie proving if you keep trying you'll get your reward.

Great win and vital 3 points as Ewood will be key again this season because with this seasons style and naivety i think we'll get some poundings away from home.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bazza said:

Do you mind? We're not all tarred with the same brush.

However, I have noticed over the years that quite a lot of Rovers fans seem to have to have someone to pick on. Jason Lowe, Keith Andrews, Elliot Bennett to name but three. There always has to be one.

I didn’t tar you all with the same brush. But that is how Riversiders were known. Mark Patterson and Jason Wilcox were 2 others who got grief

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Polky said:

I won’t be judging Telalovic on todays performance.

Boro dominated the game when he came on and if Sammie scores his hat-trick, he would have had an assist on his debut.

I thought he showed show decent touches and movement when he came on but his closing down and defending from the front was non existent.  Very very similar to George Hirst but they'll have to drill that into him in training over the coming months, he is however another great example of not to expect much when we are signing these type of lads. 

We sign cheap young development players and that is all they are at present.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

His issues here have been with fitness. I'm not gonna keep waffling on about it but nothing has suggested in his time at Rovers that he's made of glass like you say. Judge him on his time here not his alleged injuries somewhere else.

No, his previous injury proneness is obviously unfortunately a red flag. And fitness or specific injury, he will have spent the majority of the first quarter of the season unavailable which isnt great.

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

That is correct.

On page 11 of this thread one poster - within a short period of the player coming on to the pitch - is telling us he is not up to the required standard.

So "at least one poster" was one poster clearly talking rubbish, but that in turn seems to categorize anyone suggesting that he struggled as writing him off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No, his previous injury proneness is obviously unfortunately a red flag. And fitness or specific injury, he will have spent the majority of the first quarter of the season unavailable which isnt great.

So "at least one poster" was one poster clearly talking rubbish, but that in turn seems to categorize anyone suggesting that he struggled as writing him off.

The comment - made within 15 minutes or so of his debut - was that he wasn't of the required standard, which seems to be writing him off.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, robfranlong81 said:

Disgraceful given the lino should have been in line with the player making the pass. 

I always get on the last, deepest lying player when running the grandkids line, if the linesman is in line with Crook, even he can't miss it. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bethnal said:

Telalovic does not look the required standard, sorry.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Can you show me where he has been "written off" by quoting anyone who has been so conclusive. Not saying it didnt happen but most are just commenting on his performance today.

You clearly didnt watch as he played for alot longer than 10 minutes. My opinion was that it was a bit of a struggle for him, he looks very raw and like a player who has been playing in a very low standard division. He made one superb pass but in the main, he struggled to get hold of the ball, looked slow off the mark and missed a sitter. I say all that because it is very reasonable to comment on his performance.

Not a fan of people shutting discussion down because their personal stance is not to judge a player for a specific period of time decided upon by themselves. By all means say actually I thought he did x well or provided x to the team. Had he come on and bagged 2 those same people wouldnt reserve judgement so its purely "negativity bashing."

I don’t know why you are picking this hill to die on but as others have pointed out there is no doubt that people using this site can have a harsh judgement on players. And that is hardly a controversial statement to anyone other than yourself.

The post above was made 10 minutes in to the match, that’s what I meant when I said that people were writing him off after 10 minutes of his debut. Tbh it’s a pretty mental thing to do, especially when criticising someone who doesn’t speak the language, has never played at this level, has only been at the club for a couple of weeks, and has less than 45 minutes to impress.

I honestly don’t know why you are arguing this point but I hope this is the end of it!

• Like 5

My nerves can’t stand too many performances like that but hey, the number of chances we are creating is going to result in smashing some team one of these days.

Some patchy performances from individuals but the fight and determination is getting us over the line. 

Telalovic doesn’t look fit but has some talent. If Wharton had put that pass through for Szmodics we would all be crowing about it. Give the lad a few games in the U21’s and cup matches and he could come good. 

Adam Wharton plays too close to the edge for comfort. He sometimes wants too much time on the ball which you just don’t have at this level, but he will get better.

I thought Moran looked very poor today but then he came on when Boro werein the ascendancy and struggled to get forward. 

5 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Maybe it's just me but I reckon this style of football JDT likes to play is knackering for some of the players. 

Travis, Britain and young Wharton were breathing through their arses after 70 minutes. 

I said today that Joe RC always seems to run out of steam when he starts a game. 

Hedges is some athlete, not a problem for him in particular. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, grizfoot said:

For the benefit of those not in attendance the Blackburn End went through a repertoire of disparaging chants relating to the masturbatory habits, body mass index and penny-pinching habits of Steve Waggot, who was on the pitch pre-match. I know not all views prevalent on this board are echoed in the stands but on this occasion they seem very closely aligned. 

I’d be interested to know what chants the Blackburn End came up with regarding the constitution, age, eyesight and general gentlemanlyness of a certain touchline-related match official.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OsloRover said:

I’d be interested to know what chants the Blackburn End came up with regarding the constitution, age, eyesight and general gentlemanlyness of a certain touchline-related match official.

I have never seen so many foul throws go unpunished.

• Like 3

Good performance, should have been 5 or 6 with boro shocking at the back. 

Made hard work of the last 15 mins, no tackling in midfield and the new lad Moran may as well have sat in the stands he was that anonymous.

Pears, Hyam and Carter were top class today and prob got us the 3 in the end. With a another class performance from Sammy who is in my eyes our best player these days.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

I don’t know why you are picking this hill to die on but as others have pointed out there is no doubt that people using this site can have a harsh judgement on players. And that is hardly a controversial statement to anyone other than yourself.

The post above was made 10 minutes in to the match, that’s what I meant when I said that people were writing him off after 10 minutes of his debut. Tbh it’s a pretty mental thing to do, especially when criticising someone who doesn’t speak the language, has never played at this level, has only been at the club for a couple of weeks, and has less than 45 minutes to impress.

I honestly don’t know why you are arguing this point but I hope this is the end of it!

He can speak the language, very well.

That quoted comment is based solely on his performance today. Obviously the smallest of samples. If it said, he doesnt look up to standard so he never will be, different argument. But we only have today to base it off, just as if he scored 2, people would say wow he looks incredible which would be equally flawed but wouldnt be jumped on so quickly. We get our first look at him, most naturally gain a first impression. As long as that is an opinion that would change if and when he does well, then no problem. 

I just think a more constructive way to have debate would be to counter by saying actually he did this or that well, and actually talk about the game, rather than trying to shut people down because they are judging so soon. Its obvious that its based on one game.

Hes come from such a low standard and is 23 so young but not really young, and he has come straight into the squad so hes not a kid for later on. Today might be a sign of whats to come, or just part of a settling in period.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I thought he showed show decent touches and movement when he came on but his closing down and defending from the front was non existent.  Very very similar to George Hirst but they'll have to drill that into him in training over the coming months, he is however another great example of not to expect much when we are signing these type of lads. 

We sign cheap young development players and that is all they are at present.

I agree. They take too long to adjust if indeed they ever do. What about this season, it'll be half over by Christmas. Will he still be finding his feet?

• Like 1

Like I said well in advance of the game, first team to score would win this fixture.

I thought we were very good in patches, and bafflingly bad in others. Dolan's early miss reminded me of a game I played in 40 years plus ago in Clitheroe, where I'd been put up front as a makeshift striker (my normal position was goalie) and a looping cross came in from the right, to me loloping forward to the 6 yard area totally unmarked. Our 'trainer' (a phsyio called Jack Blackledge who worked at Brockhall Hospital for many years) said quite distinctly 'He'll miss' which of course I duly did - almost identically to poor old Tyrhis, getting under the ball, and heading it ignominiously over the bar.

As a goalkeeper, those type of crosses are a nightmare (slight outswingers) but as a makeshift / makeweight striker, the amount of time you have to watch the ball coming to your head is even worse. That kind of cross needs to be met by someone with the strikers' instinct, otherwise it is more likely it is going into row Z. Dolan isn't a striker, in the Craig Bellamy, Alan Shearer, Simon Garner, David Speedie, Paul Dikov or Roque Santa Cruz mould. That's FO SHO!

Anyway, we won. We deserved to win. JDT is a genius. And Semir Telavic is the new Shefki Kuqi 🙂

BRING ON THE DIVES !

Edited by Shirley Crabtree Wrestler
Fat, round, toothach on the ground

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Mick Heaton, Tony Parkes (!) Jimmy Quinn, Richard Brown.....John O'Mara..Jason Wilcox

Never understood this in relation to Wilcox. Local lad, came up though the ranks, held his place amongst a horde of big transfer players and capped for England!

Yet plenty of his own fans didn't like him!!

PS you missed John "Handbag" Connelly off that list!

• Like 3