BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn End: Waggott Out

I contacted the club regarding this and receiving this reply from a PA on behalf of SW:

Thank you for your email in regard to the closure of the Blackburn End for our Carabao Cup match versus Cardiff City on Wednesday, 27th September.

There are a number of factors to consider when creating the operational plan for a matchday and the decisions made are based on these. 

Initially we review what the anticipated attendance is going to be and then measure this against the financial cost of opening the entire stadium.

For the first round of the Carabao Cup; BRFC V Walsall, we attracted an attendance of just over 6,000 supporters. There were fewer than 2,000 supporters in the Blackburn End for this fixture, which is less than 50% capacity for the lower tier. Due to the make-up of the stadium, once the decision is made to open a stand, the staffing of that area remains the same whether the stand is at capacity or accommodating fewer than 500 supporters. 

For this week’s fixture, although we expect an attendance similar to that of the Walsall game, with just over 48 hours to go, we have sold just over 2,500 tickets. The Jack Walker Stand has a total capacity of 11,000 seats, which will adequately cater for the demand. We do appreciate that many of our long-standing supporters sit in the Blackburn End and would argue that this stand is affectionately referred to as the home end, but the Jack Walker Stand can be relied upon to accommodate all supporters with ease, provides a better backdrop for the broadcast footage and ultimately it will help us to manage costs at a time when all costs have to be carefully considered. 

I’m sure you can appreciate and understand why the Club has taken the relevant measures on this occasion. Of course, these decisions will be reviewed on a match-by-match basis should we progress further in the competition, as we hope to do.

Thanking you for your continued support.

Of course, most of the above is easily rebutted. The 'broadcast footage' point is absolutely mind boggling - it will look great on broadcast with no fans behind one net. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

I contacted the club regarding this and receiving this reply from a PA on behalf of SW:

Thank you for your email in regard to the closure of the Blackburn End for our Carabao Cup match versus Cardiff City on Wednesday, 27th September.

There are a number of factors to consider when creating the operational plan for a matchday and the decisions made are based on these. 

Initially we review what the anticipated attendance is going to be and then measure this against the financial cost of opening the entire stadium.

For the first round of the Carabao Cup; BRFC V Walsall, we attracted an attendance of just over 6,000 supporters. There were fewer than 2,000 supporters in the Blackburn End for this fixture, which is less than 50% capacity for the lower tier. Due to the make-up of the stadium, once the decision is made to open a stand, the staffing of that area remains the same whether the stand is at capacity or accommodating fewer than 500 supporters. 

For this week’s fixture, although we expect an attendance similar to that of the Walsall game, with just over 48 hours to go, we have sold just over 2,500 tickets. The Jack Walker Stand has a total capacity of 11,000 seats, which will adequately cater for the demand. We do appreciate that many of our long-standing supporters sit in the Blackburn End and would argue that this stand is affectionately referred to as the home end, but the Jack Walker Stand can be relied upon to accommodate all supporters with ease, provides a better backdrop for the broadcast footage and ultimately it will help us to manage costs at a time when all costs have to be carefully considered. 

I’m sure you can appreciate and understand why the Club has taken the relevant measures on this occasion. Of course, these decisions will be reviewed on a match-by-match basis should we progress further in the competition, as we hope to do.

Of course, most of the above is easily rebutted. The 'broadcast footage' point is absolutely mind boggling - it will look great on broadcast with no fans behind one net. 

Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps the next think to ask is given that he was expecting 6,000 and also given the quality of the opposition is better, will he accept responsibility for this being a financial own goal, if we end up with 4,000 or less?

Also, how will he feel if this leads to some fans deciding enough is enough and giving up on attending, due to this tipping point.

I think more than one poster on here, has suggested that is the case.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

The 'broadcast footage' reference I think is important. I believe the 'powers that be' down there attach great importance to how the ground looks on TV. I've no doubt this was the motivation behind them moving the TV gantry to the Riverside, moving the family stand downstairs to the JW lower, shutting the upper tiers and increasing Riverside prices to make it less financially desirable to sit in there.

Why, we can only speculate, but it seems someone wants to project an image to those watching on tv.

As you say, that motive kind of falls by the wayside when you are then shutting the BBE.

To finish off with 'should we progress further in the competition, as we hope to do' I find insulting. They don't care about progression in the cup and never have done. This sort of decision proves it.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The 'broadcast footage' reference I think is important. I believe the 'powers that be' down there attach great importance to how the ground looks on TV. I've no doubt this was the motivation behind them moving the TV gantry to the Riverside, moving the family stand downstairs to the JW lower, shutting the upper tiers and increasing Riverside prices to make it less financially desirable to sit in there.

Why, we can only speculate, but it seems someone wants to project an image to those watching on tv.

As you say, that motive kind of falls by the wayside when you are then shutting the BBE.

To finish off with 'should we progress further in the competition, as we hope to do' I find insulting. They don't care about progression in the cup and never have done. This sort of decision proves it.

It shows the muddled thinking for me. They want to project a better image on TV, yet for a long time insisted on shoving away fans in the top tier of the Darwen End, creating a huge void of empty seats behind one net. Given most of our games (including Cardiff, I believe) are not televised, surely more fans behind the goal would have better optics as the vast majority will only see highlights of this fixture.

If they really wanted us to progress further in the cup, they'd be focused on trying to get supporters in to watch and support the team, rather than ostracising further an already disenfranchised and disrespected fanbase. 

If this was any other 'product' and wasn't a form of such deep attachment to me and so many, I would have binned it off long ago. Only football supporters can have the piss taken out of them so readily - but even us loyal folk have a breaking point. 

I really hoped that horrible 18-months COVID period would result in a change in how supporters are treated, but the status quo was very readily returned to. All the 'football is for fans' nonsense, as we suspected at the time, were empty platitudes. 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

I've conveyed all of the above in my reply, and asked for how many tickets need to be sold to offset the cost savings we have made in closing the stand:

Thank you for your reply.

I can almost guarantee the attendance will be considerably less than the Walsall game, when in reality it should be higher (being a round further).

I’d be intrigued to know how many tickets we need to sell to offset the costs associated with closing the Blackburn End – surely an attendance of even 1,000 lower (£10,000 lost in ticket sales) would trump the costs of hiring staff in the Blackburn End for this fixture, in addition to any other operational costs. It feels nonsensical commercially, notwithstanding the long-term effect such a decision will have on supporters who feel ignored. I already know of many long-term supporters who are not attending this fixture out of principle, and fear the long-term effects will be dire – it is hardening belief amongst our fanbase that Steve Waggott is out of touch with the supporters and that the supporters are disregarded and not considered. I, for one, am postponing any plans to return to Ewood anytime soon on the basis of this decision.

As for the broadcast element, I cannot fathom how it will present a better backdrop – the optics of an empty home stand behind the net will more than outweigh this, as well as the certain mockery we will receive from fans across the football pyramid.

It just feels like every decision made is aimed at saving a few quid, even if this means alienating loyal fans – which will have a long-term cost both financially and non-financially. Whilst this decision would make sense on a spreadsheet, it will undoubtedly come at a cost, and I sincerely hope the resultant attendance decrease will offset any reduction in operational costs, and therefore not be considered moving forwards.

Great response that and thanks again for sharing.

The figures he provides in response, should be interesting. I am sure with a bit of innovation and competitive pricing, we could have got to 10,000 for this. 

• Like 2

It’s all about the broadcast ‘look’ (usually, not with this unfathomable decision).

Ewood actually looks fairly full on TV if the away side brings a few. Both bottom tiers and the Jack Walker (I.e what the camera sees) look pretty populated even with a half full ground as there’s 15,000 empty seats in areas the camera doesn’t point at .

Ewood Potemkin Park.

Edited by Mattyblue

One other thing to mention here, especially if we lose.

Why have we not thought of a way to fill the lower tier of the Blackburn End, instead of emptying it.

Surely taking full advantage of being drawn at home, should be explored, as a place in the next round could be worth 10 times more than the saving, he is making here. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lraC said:

One other thing to mention here, especially if we lose.

Why have we not thought of a way to fill the lower tier of the Blackburn End, instead of emptying it.

Surely taking full advantage of being drawn at home, should be explored, as a place in the next round could be worth 10 times more than the saving, he is making here. 

Exactly this. We won 8-0 in the last round - no attempt has been made to encourage supporters to cheer on our record breaking, goal-getting youngsters.

Unless he wants our under-23s to play in front of attendances they are more accustomed to.... 😂

1 hour ago, smiller14 said:

If this was any other 'product' and wasn't a form of such deep attachment to me and so many, I would have binned it off long ago. Only football supporters can have the piss taken out of them so readily - but even us loyal folk have a breaking point. 

I really hoped that horrible 18-months COVID period would result in a change in how supporters are treated, but the status quo was very readily returned to. All the 'football is for fans' nonsense, as we suspected at the time, were empty platitudes. 

Muddled thinking is their speciality. 

I completely agree in this part. It is why I am rapidly losing patience with things. I feel that from every angle there is a piss taking culture in football. Rovers are at it all the time but also Sky, EFL, officials do it.

Taking the loyal paying fans for granted all the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smiller14 said:

No we don’t appreciate it you fucking idiot Swag ! You are killing our football club and making us a laughing stock. All comparable clubs in the Carabao cup will get low gates, show me one other club that has taken a decision to close the Home End ‘kop’ !!! Get out of our club, you clearly don’t have the interests of this great club and its supporters, those still putting up with your death actions and the very many thousands, that you have finally seen off. I am so fucking angry about this 😡

Edited by Penwortham Blue
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, smiller14 said:

I've conveyed all of the above in my reply, and asked for how many tickets need to be sold to offset the cost savings we have made in closing the stand:

Thank you for your reply.

I can almost guarantee the attendance will be considerably less than the Walsall game, when in reality it should be higher (being a round further).

I’d be intrigued to know how many tickets we need to sell to offset the costs associated with closing the Blackburn End – surely an attendance of even 1,000 lower (£10,000 lost in ticket sales) would trump the costs of hiring staff in the Blackburn End for this fixture, in addition to any other operational costs. It feels nonsensical commercially, notwithstanding the long-term effect such a decision will have on supporters who feel ignored. I already know of many long-term supporters who are not attending this fixture out of principle, and fear the long-term effects will be dire – it is hardening belief amongst our fanbase that Steve Waggott is out of touch with the supporters and that the supporters are disregarded and not considered. I, for one, am postponing any plans to return to Ewood anytime soon on the basis of this decision.

As for the broadcast element, I cannot fathom how it will present a better backdrop – the optics of an empty home stand behind the net will more than outweigh this, as well as the certain mockery we will receive from fans across the football pyramid.

It just feels like every decision made is aimed at saving a few quid, even if this means alienating loyal fans – which will have a long-term cost both financially and non-financially. Whilst this decision would make sense on a spreadsheet, it will undoubtedly come at a cost, and I sincerely hope the resultant attendance decrease will offset any reduction in operational costs, and therefore not be considered moving forwards.

Well done, common sense and put the pressure on the tosser. This mistake is going to haunt and hopefully, finally see him off. It is financial suicide, never seen such a clear example before of penny rich / pound foolish, he is a total idiot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Swag doesn’t give a toss, JDT and the supporters do.

What ever anybody does, do not remind Waggott that Arsenal painted a board with fans on during the early 90's at Highbury when it was being developed or we may never see the BBE end open again.

All jokes aside, the guy is an absolute fraud just employed to take the smoke from the owners. As somebody said on here last week, the easiest job in the world is to save money, the good ones MAKE money!!

• Like 6

If anyone does wish to give him a bit of stick he usually sits on the BBE side of the closed centre seats - around row 10. You'll be able to walk along the row of padded corporate seats and be a few feet away from the incompetent arse hole 👍

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JamieUK said:

If anyone does wish to give him a bit of stick he usually sits on the BBE side of the closed centre seats - around row 10. You'll be able to walk along the row of padded corporate seats and be a few feet away from the incompetent arse hole 👍

i know he`s very stupid but there is no way he`ll be appearing tommorow night,i doubt if he will be at the game tbh

He'll only come out with some fabricated set of lies to cover himself for this anyway which will be swallowed up by the usual suspects.

Just imagine if they'd got the training ground passed for building and flogged it as was the plan that was busted. Where would we be now with the owners making up the shortfall ???

Up the creek that's where we'd be, so just remember what we are dealing with here, a snake oil salesman.

• Like 2