BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

5 hours ago, sharpysharps86 said:

Typically yes, backroom staff are on similar contracts to managers and players. The thing is we appear to have certain coaches that happy to coast by and be part of the furniture. It'd be on Greg Broughton to negotiate contracts with staff I imagine, but I would also imagine that our budget for backroom staff is tiny, so we'd be unlikely to bring better coaches in....which is why I'm assuming that JDT was only able to bring in one assistant.

JDT brought an assistant and a coach with him.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

John Achterberg is in charge of Liverpool keeping department 

Plus we aren't Liverpool size of club either or in the premiership 

You are right about Achterberg, however, I didn't say Taffarel was in charge!

Think you'll find Achterberg has hundreds of games to his credit as a professional goalkeeper whilst Taffarel's pedigree speaks for itself and he is still Brazil's national goalkeeping coach.

No we aren't a club of Liverpool's size or in the PL yet we do have 3 goalkeeping coaches (Benson, Andrew and Renshaw).  The gulf in pedigree between Liverpool's goalie coaches and ours is as wide as it can be.  No we haven't the same financial resource as Liverpool but surely, surely we can find an experienced goalie coach out there who has played the game professionally and knows the game inside out (a Bobby Mimms type).  Without being disrespectful, I think Andrew and Renshaw have very limited playing experience (mainly non league) and therein lies the rub - you would not get a Bobby Mimms type coming to work under Benson!  You dumb down your goalie coach and therefore almost certainly have to dumb down those who work under him!

IMO, the coaching support (Lowe, Johnson and Benson) for JDT is very weak and underwhelming and I do not think I am the only Rovers' supporter who thinks so!  It is no good skimping on coaches when average / less than average players get paid £thousands per week - lose one of those costly Joe Average players and use part of those wage savings to employ some quality coaching staff.  It aint rocket science but just plain feckin commonsense.  

1 hour ago, neophox said:

JDT brought an assistant and a coach with him.

Yes, Remy Reynierse and Ben Rosen

41 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You are right about Achterberg, however, I didn't say Taffarel was in charge!

Think you'll find Achterberg has hundreds of games to his credit as a professional goalkeeper whilst Taffarel's pedigree speaks for itself and he is still Brazil's national goalkeeping coach.

I know I'm right about Achterberg and I already knew he was in charge of keeping there plus he played for Tranmere Rovers. 

No we aren't a club of Liverpool's size or in the PL yet we do have 3 goalkeeping coaches (Benson, Andrew and Renshaw).  The gulf in pedigree between Liverpool's goalie coaches and ours is as wide as it can be.  No we haven't the same financial resource as Liverpool but surely, surely we can find an experienced goalie coach out there who has played the game professionally and knows the game inside out (a Bobby Mimms type).  Without being disrespectful, I think Andrew and Renshaw have very limited playing experience (mainly non league) and therein lies the rub - you would not get a Bobby Mimms type coming to work under Benson!  You dumb down your goalie coach and therefore almost certainly have to dumb down those who work under him!

Bobby Mimms is under 21's GK coach at Norwich City 

IMO, the coaching support (Lowe, Johnson and Benson) for JDT is very weak and underwhelming and I do not think I am the only Rovers' supporter who thinks so!  It is no good skimping on coaches when average / less than average players get paid £thousands per week - lose one of those costly Joe Average players and use part of those wage savings to employ some quality coaching staff.  It aint rocket science but just plain feckin commonsense.  

Clearly JDT is happy with coaching staff otherwise they wouldn't be here. He is happy with each one of them. He was also happy to work with them. 

1 hour ago, neophox said:

I would sell Pickering, Brittain, Markanday and Travis if anyone bids.

Personally, dont think I will sell Pickering, Brittain and esp Travis at this stage. we don't have any LB/RB backups now. Even JRC is not fully fit. We have bigger problems to solve now (striking, defending - if Hill is going back to Cherries and goalkeeping as well.)

But Markanday, yes. Don't see how he's gonna make it even at this level.

I think the only one we need to sell is Travis. If he can’t get in this team, with one win in eight, he is better to move on. It’s best for all parties. 

It looks like we’re replacing Hill with the Crewe lad.

Realistically, I’d expect us to replace Travis if we sold him and we could do with a couple of forward on Loans. 

Im going for…

4 out - Trav (sold), Hill (recall), Leonard (loan) and Markanday (Loan)

4 in (Crewe lad (buy), CM (buy /loan), 2x forwards (loan)

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 2

We don't need to sell anyone and shouldn't sell anyone unless it allows for reinvestment. 

That's the first issue that needs addressing.

If its going the same way as the last few windows we won't see money from sales so there's little benefit to be had to the team.

Good news for the financial guys though....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I think the only one we need to sell is Travis. If he can’t get in this team, with one win in eight, he is better to move on. It’s best for all parties. 

Realistically, I’d expect us to replace Travis if we sold him and we could do with a couple of forward on Loans. 

Im going for…

I think we’d need a full back considering the amount of time Travis and Hill have both played there. Maybe Buckley will be seen as the Travis replacement in midfield? I know he can’t really do the same role as Travis, but Garrett could.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Im going for…

Seems a sensible approach, but think its time to sell Markanday, he's not good enough for this level.

• Like 2

A lot has been said about the shambles up top, but we are also down to two fit centre halves (one of them looking some way off his best after his long lay off), one left back, one fit right back (with Trav possibly filling in until he’s flogged) and the worst keeper choice I can ever remember.

Our time masquerading as a professional Championship level football club must be coming to an end

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I think we’d need a full back considering the amount of time Travis and Hill have both played there. Maybe Buckley will be seen as the Travis replacement in midfield? I know he can’t really do the same role as Travis, but Garrett could.

Yeah I probably missed out a LB. We’re definitely short on that side. I read that the Crewe lad plays right side and can cover CB and RB so I can’t see us signing another after him with Brittain and JRC to come back.

fwiw - I don’t think the manager wants a player who does what Travis does. That’s the whole problem for Travis. So maybe we do have an eye on Buckley returning in March? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Seems a sensible approach, but think its time to sell Markanday, he's not good enough for this level.

I agree mate, but who would buy him? Looks like a 5yr old playing in an u10’s league..we might struggle to loan him 🙈

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

fwiw - I don’t think the manager wants a player who does what Travis does. That’s the whole problem for Travis. So maybe we do have an eye on Buckley returning in March? 

He's got a funny way of showing it having had him in the team as captain pretty much every game until a month or so ago.

Perhaps JDT has been told that more sales are required in January and that Travis is in their crosshairs on the basis his 'development' is complete.

200 career games. Known around the Championship. Captain / leadership experience. Time to cash in and find another "project" and get his wages out. 

JDT has made it clear these things aren't his remit and he'll be gone too in a few months so needn't worry about it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Im going for…

Deffo need a full back, centre back, right winger and striker in. 

Would like to Markanday go, 

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He's got a funny way of showing it having had him in the team as captain pretty much every game until a month or so ago.

Perhaps JDT has been told that more sales are required in January and that Travis is in their crosshairs on the basis his 'development' is complete.

200 career games. Known around the Championship. Captain / leadership experience. Time to cash in and find another "project" and get his wages out. 

JDT has made it clear these things aren't his remit and he'll be gone too in a few months so needn't worry about it. 

But is Travis going to start ahead of Wharton and Tronstad? Does he fit our style? Can we replace him with better player suited to our style of play? 

Also I don't see JDT walking away from Rovers unless he has another job line up overseas. 

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Clearly JDT is happy with coaching staff otherwise they wouldn't be here. He is happy with each one of them. He was also happy to work with them. 

I think it's clear JDT had to accept Lowe, Johnson and Benson and had no other option if he wanted the job.  That is not being happy with them!

It's also strongly rumoured we 'lost' two other managerial candidates (if I recall correctly Carvalhal was one but the other name escapes me - sure folk on this MB can recall) before JDT's appointment as they would not be allowed to bring in their own people and had to accept Lowe, Johnson and Benson.

JDT effectively brought in one coach (Remy)  and also Rosen as fitness guru - based on number of injuries, recovery times and reported fatigue, not sure just how good or poor Rosen is.

• Like 4

I don't really know too much about Ben Benson but two of his protegees are regulars now in the Premier League. As for improving Walstedt I don't believe it can be done. One of a keepers strengths is bravery and he just doesn't have enough. He is afraid of getting clattered and therefore flaps far too often. Quite how anybody can improve that aspect of his game I don't know. 

We have signed a pup and our priority should be getting another keeper in now. It's a crying shame to have to do so as nobody really foresaw how calamitous he would be and up to a few weeks ago a new keeper wasn't really a priority but we just can't afford to concede the goals he is at fault for.

• Like 1

So goal keeping coaching, personal opinions about transfer and loan strategy and zero rumours.

Either no transfers and GB and the scouting department of 8 are on a New Year cruise or there is an effective lock down.

Either way we are in for a surprise.

Probably unpleasant...

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Also I don't see JDT walking away from Rovers unless he has another job line up overseas. 

There will come a point where his frustration boils over and he will not want to see his reputation sullied.  As an intelligent lad, he will then walk away.

• Like 3

Just now, philipl said:

On hopeless keepers, Jason Steele at Ewood but watch him last night.

Just hope we don't have to wait ten years for Leo to come good...

Quite mental there are 3 x ex Rovers keepers now playing in the prem... two of which were deemed not good enough by our fans

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I think it's clear JDT had to accept Lowe, Johnson and Benson and had no other option if he wanted the job.  That is not being happy with them!

It's also strongly rumoured we 'lost' two other managerial candidates (if I recall correctly Carvalhal was one but the other name escapes me - sure folk on this MB can recall) before JDT's appointment as they would not be allowed to bring in their own people and had to accept Lowe, Johnson and Benson.

JDT effectively brought in one coach (Remy)  and also Rosen as fitness guru - based on number of injuries, recovery times and reported fatigue, not sure just how good or poor Rosen is.

JDT brought in 2 of his staff with him. He was happy with those 3 staff as he publicly when he got the job. Also I think if JDT wanted to change them now he would have done. JDT sees them at work all the time. We dont

Rosen is good bit fatigue is down to lack of options to rotate players in 3 games week. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Deffo need a full back, centre back, right winger and striker in. 

Would like to Markanday go, 

But is Travis going to start ahead of Wharton and Tronstad? Does he fit our style? Can we replace him with better player suited to our style of play? 

Travis situation became obvious last game of the season against Millwall when he was subbed at half time.

We need players sharpish.

Cash in on Wharton and buy quality now - not in the summer. It'll be a tragedy if we end up flirting with relegation again.

Inertia will kill us as a club. Get moving, Venkys.

• Like 1