BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

I would bet that if Gallagher goes it’s purely for financial reasons.

In the summer they likely anticipate another 20% budget cut or some nonsense and therefore won’t do his 12 month extension given his high earner status.

So they sell him now and get some money rather than nothing.

it won’t be reinvested and just offset against the bills, meanwhile his wage is freed up for yet another schoolboy loan for 6 months.

eventually there will be nothing left to sell or cut.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Szmodics absolutely, #1 without a doubt. I'd say Tronstad probably #2. The others in the list have alternatives, we have absolutely 0 alternatives to Gallagher in a similar mould. The results speak for themselves. 

If I had to choose who I wanted on the team-sheet, between Gally and the ones I listed. I would choose all of my list. My disagreement with the original statement, was that Gally is one of our top three most important players. The results improve with Gally, but they are still not good enough. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roverblue said:

In the summer they likely anticipate another 20% budget cut or some nonsense and therefore won’t do his 12 month extension given his high earner status.

it won’t be reinvested and just offset against the bills, meanwhile his wage is freed up for yet another schoolboy loan for 6 months.

You could cut us down to non league if you wanted to.

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It's ok we'll be told 'he wants to go' so we can't have an unhappy player.

Mind you it would be just like Rovers to give him a new 18k a week contract then he gets injured again !

It's a tricky one this but more worrying is the likes of Ipswich trying to cherry pick our players after half a season back in the Championship.

Or the original artical could be utter bullshit.

Each to their own, I’d take 1.5m for Sam G

Yes, he’s experienced and he obviously is a better option than Harry et al.

The only problem is, he’s made of cottage cheese. The main position he occupies is the physios bed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rigger said:

The results improve with Gally, but they are still not good enough. 

Which has nothing to do with Gallagher himself, he clearly is doing his bit as the stats suggest.

Edited by Gav

Seen on Twitter that Nick Mashiter who linked Gallagher to Ipswich has also linked Watford's Rajovic. So maybe Mashiter is a bullshitter or Ipswich are desperately chucking bids at championship clubs to replace Hirst who's out long term

23 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Our wrists ?

7 minutes ago, rigger said:

Do you think Gally is a good Championship striker ? Yes or no.

I can't answer the question with just yes or no rigger.

If you take this down to barebones - Striker =  goals = No, not good enough, I think he scores 1 goal every 4 games.

If you look at his all round contribution to the team, every manager has played him out of the wing, his tracking back - Yes

I will never criticize any player that is selected to play for Blackburn Rovers and puts in 110% every game, Gallagher falls into that category for me.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I'd sell Gallagher in a heartbeat.

He's rarely fit. He's one of our highest earners. He'll be leaving on a free this summer.

Not if he makes a few more appearances and maybe triggers his 12 months.

Still a potential fee there in summer if he can stay fit and get a few goals, can we really risk letting him go to be replaced by nobody ?

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Still a potential fee there in summer if he can stay fit and get a few goals, can we really risk letting him go to be replaced by nobody ?

He doesn't have to make any more appearances does he?

As far as I was aware the year option is in the club's favour so if they choose to extend the deal they can do regardless of how many appearances he makes or what he wants 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

What's the optimistic prediction on how many more appearances he makes this season? 5?

And then what are the chances that a club is then interested next summer?

And then if we don't sell him, how many appearances might he make next season? 15?

So there's a very good chance we turn down a bit for a player who is a high earner and will make 20ish appearances over the next 18 months. Again, that's being optimistic.

Knowing our luck, he will stick around, barely play this season, play a few games next season, and then we will offer him a new contract because we're fresh out of ideas. 

• Like 1

Gally is like one of those weird crossover SUV's like a Juke.  He's 6 4 but can't win a header.  Works hard and runs a lot but has an inability to find space.  His redeeming qualities are probably the 'cheapest' to replace but I doubt we'd manage that given the situation.  Logically most clubs knowing his contractual term would cash in and replace, but that's not an option for us. 

• Like 3

If, and we all know it’s a big if, we got the £1.5m and the wages to replace Gallagher I do think there could be better options. Clarke-Harris is one I was keen for us to go for previously and he’s out of contract in the summer so could potentially come in cheap. Otherwise a decent loan striker, not a young kid though. Someone more established but needing games. 

31 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He doesn't have to make any more appearances does he?

As far as I was aware the year option is in the club's favour so if they choose to extend the deal they can do regardless of how many appearances he makes or what he wants 

Unless you've seen the contract you are guessing just like me but often appearances trigger clauses so there'd be nothing unusual in that it's why players often disappear out of sides.

Doesn't alter the point that there could still be a fee in summer for him so maybe the situation to get rid is't that desperate now.

Edited by tomphil

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What's the optimistic prediction on how many more appearances he makes this season? 5?

And then if we don't sell him, how many appearances might he make next season? 15?

So there's a very good chance we turn down a bit for a player who is a high earner and will make 20ish appearances over the next 18 months. Again, that's being optimistic.

Knowing our luck, he will stick around, barely play this season, play a few games next season, and then we will offer him a new contract because we're fresh out of ideas. 

How long has he been here Eddie? I believe he's played over 200 games for us? But you're right of course, he's struggled with injury over the past 2 seasons.

Most fans, if the money was reinvested, would take the deal, but we all know that money probably wouldn't see the light of day, even if someone was willing to pay a decent fee. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I agree the last bit is a likely scenario.

On the other bit though consider Ipswich are allegedly bidding on a player who isn't fit and hasn't played for months so by that logic there is every chance there'd be interest in summer.

Edited by tomphil

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Unless you've seen the contract you are guessing just like me but often appearances trigger clauses so there'd be nothing unusual in that it's why players often disappear out of sides.

Doesn't alter the point that there could still be a fee in summer for him so maybe the situation to get rid is't that desperate now.

Well I wasn't guessing really I was going off the other 1 year options we had with other players. 

As kentexile  posted the Clause is in the club's favour so we can activate it if we choose too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Well I wasn't guessing really I was going off the other 1 year options we had with other players. 

As kentexile  posted the Clause is in the club's favour so we can activate it if we choose too.

I'm sure the player and his agent have a say in it as well and think about it there must be some protection in it for the club etc.

Something has to trigger a clause surely.