BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

3 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

https://football-observatory.com/WeeklyPost444

Select Championship from the drop down menu then click the left hand column to list in average height by team order.

I’d be shocked if we weren’t the slowest team too, probably by a distance. Tough to compete in one of the more physical leagues in the world with the smallest, weakest, slowest team.

£20 million guaranteed for Wharton to just start the conversation. That can be up front or installments.

Any less and I think we are selling ourselves short. Personally not as bothered about a cut of his next deal, I'd rather have an extra 5-7.5 million guaranteed and 5-10% of his next deal as opposed to 30-40% of his next deal.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think that might be down to neglecting the basics of defending and defensive set ups in favour of trying to improve them on the ball and pick the next pass. Coaching probably geared to that to try and make them look better footballers than they actually are when really they are still in the development stage as actual defenders and still need defensive drills and set piece work as their core training.

I'd say similar with the keeper dept.

It's all about trying to run before you can walk with this regime.

100% agree. That's exactly what is happening.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Judge21 said:

Not to bad a fee but would need to build in sell on fees for every move he makes thereafter. Heard Darren McAnthony, Pboro chairman discussing this for a few of players they have sold like Toney.

Despite that, don’t think Adam will fancy this particular move 

If only we had competent management like that handling our deals. Negotiate for future as well as current position.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

£20 million guaranteed for Wharton to just start the conversation. That can be up front or installments.

Any less and I think we are selling ourselves short. Personally not as bothered about a cut of his next deal, I'd rather have an extra 5-7.5 million guaranteed and 5-10% of his next deal as opposed to 30-40% of his next deal.

Big statement. The lad is only young and with inflation in say 4 years time he gets a move to a bigger club we are talking double his orignal fee if more. Need to think long term as well as short term

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Adam genuinely loves the club, and dreams of getting promoted with us - quite simply, I don't think he's anywhere near ready to leave his boyhood club.

It'll take a lot more than £15m... and everyone knows it, including Gregg.

If that were true the fee is irrelevant and if he had any sense and did leave he’d go to brighton

It would appear Palace have been tracking Wharton for some time so doubt this is new interest. However £15m would be virtually giving him away but then again we managed to lose Phillips for peanuts so who knows what this lot will do?

We also don't know what sort of release clauses there are, if any, in his contract.

Has the white smoke emerged from the Indian Courthouse building yet? Can't imagine the case is a massive priority for the Authorities over there, can you imagine the bind we'd be in if the case got postponed until after the transfer window?

• Like 1

They arent going to give us a sudden warchest even if the supposed case does go well.

Cant imagine Balaji waddling out the courtroom to make a call to Blackburn to give us the green light on splashing the cash somehow. They havent been interested in improving the team for years prior to this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Cant imagine Balaji waddling out the courtroom to make a call to Blackburn to give us the green light on splashing the cash somehow. 

Won't even be there far too many other important things to do with his time.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

They arent going to give us a sudden warchest even if the supposed case does go well.

No but we might be able to pay the bills initially and then Greg the Egg can start to work his magic wheeling and dealing to provide us with a transfer budget of sorts to work with.

Oh.......on second thoughts..........

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No but we might be able to pay the bills initially and then Greg the Egg can start to work his magic wheeling and dealing to provide us with a transfer budget of sorts to work with.

Oh.......on second thoughts..........

You would have to work literal magic to muster up anything of note with the budget cuts at the moment and it takes considerable mental gymnastics to deflect back to him for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, booth said:

If Palace gets close to signing him I reckon a bigger club than Palace will step in. With better coaches he could go to the top but from what I've heard he doesn't want to leave.

I know through a contact that the Newcastle interest is 100% genuine. Whether they actually bid for him in this window, we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Apparently we are in talks with Palace over the Wharton deal so are clearly open to selling. Not good unless it's massive money, be sick to see him go.

Is that via Nixon's report or is someone else reporting it now?

12 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I know through a contact that the Newcastle interest is 100% genuine. Whether they actually bid for him in this window, we'll have to wait and see.

They were interested before last season ended.

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You would have to work literal magic to muster up anything of note with the budget cuts at the moment and it takes considerable mental gymnastics to deflect back to him for that.

Well,  "unfortunately" it would then be down to him unless you don't believe anything about the alleged intervention of the Indian authorities and subsequent restrictions.

All the more reason we should have appointed a proper DOF in the first place. That is something else you  can blame the owners for.

9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Surely Palace would hang fire on this with Woy under serious pressure.

Why?It will be a Dougie Freedman buy.

It's not just here that managers don't have much of a say on who is brought in 

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Why?It will be a Dougie Freedman buy.

He (Friedman) was supposed to be on the radar of Man Ure after the Ratcliffe takeover/investment.

Apparently very well regarded within the game.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Well,  "unfortunately" it would then be down to him unless you don't believe anything about the alleged intervention of the Indian authorities and subsequent restrictions.

All the more reason we should have appointed a proper DOF in the first place. That is something else you  can blame the owners for.

I cant fathom what your argument even is now. How can Broughton muster up a transfer budget when it is down to the owners to give him one? Thats not down to him and his failings. 

I am not doubting that there are government issues by the way. I just think based on strong evidence over a number of years that the owners would have been unlikely to provide much if any transfer budget anyway. We have not spent over £2m on a player in 5 years.

20 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Surely they need to put it into a different accounting period.

Their year end is 31st May so it would be odd if they make the signing permanent this month.

No, it's a rolling three-year limit. So moving it from one window to another would take one window off from 3 years before or, if they're thinking of the future, mean that they have better balance for two windows three years down the line.