BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

It usually helps in retaining good players or obtaining new good players if you can convince them that you are a club with a plan, a vision and a destination e.g. Premier League asap.

They can see that even if you don't achieve your objective that you will try and that it is a club worth being at.

One look at this disgrace of an organisation:

> pitiful summer transfer budget slashed mid window 

> Court applications to release funds every few months to pay wages and head off winding up petitions

> CEO who boasts and lies about buying a new bus and paying bills on time. Announces survival as the aim despite spending 2 years pushing for promotion.

> Manager and CEO/D of F clearly not all singing from the same hymn sheet

> cost cutting and reduction the only plan

> loaning out senior players to rivals to save on their wages

None of the above caused by FFP rules 

Why anyone would want to be involved at any level is beyond me. I certainly don't want to be and I'm not a player with a short career to maximise.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Would Tomasson or Broughton have any say in whether a sale goes ahead or get any of the money to spend?  

No, they wouldn’t, and this is why it was merely reshuffling the deckchairs when they changed the model from manager to DOF / Head Coach.

Broughton and JDT have no real autonomy.

• Like 2

The Head Coach / D of F structure was just a way for the powers that be to further distance themselves from scrutiny or accountability, whilst retaining control from the shadows.

They set the budgets and make the ultimate decisions, but Broughton and JDT are the public face of it and are the ones who get the hassle from the fans and media.

Only have to sit near me at Ewood and the number of groans and moans about the manager's performance, lots of criticism about around Broughton's recruitment yet the real issue here is the people upstairs, the people who have employed them, the people who have set the budgets and undermined them with extreme restrictions on recruitment.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, martonrover said:

No, they wouldn’t, and this is why it was merely reshuffling the deckchairs when they changed the model from manager to DOF / Head Coach.

To be fair we don't know this. 

As it's a new model Broughton might have been given complete autonomy on the football side of things and may have been told he can have x% to spend.

I think it's pretty clear JDT doesn't choose the players coming in, he won't play them half the time and with good reason.

19 minutes ago, martonrover said:

And there is the risk

If Wharton is sold for £18 million there is NO guarantee that ANY of the money will be spent on new players but will be used to reduce debt and / or everyday running costs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

To be fair we don't know this. 

As it's a new model Broughton might have been given complete autonomy on the football side of things and may have been told he can have x% to spend.

I think it's pretty clear JDT doesn't choose the players coming in, he won't play them half the time and with good reason.

I disagree and think the evidence is pretty clear.

Batth is a good example.

The owners have meddled in football matters from the off, and it’s one of the reasons we (and they) are in such a mess.

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

And there is the risk

If Wharton is sold for £18 million there is NO guarantee that ANY of the money will be spent on new players but will be used to reduce debt and / or everyday running costs.

I'd be amazed if any is spent on new players. At best you might get another Telalovic or another O'Riordon.

23 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

1974...after selling Tony Field...nearly 50 (OMG) years ago!!!

Yeah we've been through this before!

My recollection was Ken Furphy took Field and Terry Garbutt (?)  to then 1st Div Sheff Utd when he left and there was then a very unsatisfactory period with Dick Dinnis as caretaker.

Lee then came  towards the end of that season and completely  rebuilt the side over the close season. Whether the Field money (£75k was it?)  paid for the new signings I wouldn't like to say. We made a lot of signings and there was quite a gap between the two events.

2 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I disagree and think the evidence is pretty clear.

Batth is a good example.

The owners have meddled in football matters from the off, and it’s one of the reasons we (and they) are in such a mess.

We know JDT wanted Batth but how do we know it wasn't Broughton who vetoed it?

TBF he seems completely sold on "the model"and turning us into the Crewe Alexandra of the Championship.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We know JDT wanted Batth but how do we know it wasn't Broughton who vetoed it?

TBF he seems completely sold on "the model"and turning us into the Crewe Alexandra of the Championship.

He specifically said that he wanted Batth but it wasnt possible. Why would he even target him if he didnt want him?

3 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Can see it now. "Money for Wharton was too good to turn down, however we've struggled to spend it since there is no flex in the wage budget".

Summer comes and the money is being used to keep the club afloat. 

Or the best one of the lot:

"We've got to be careful with FFP, we are in the middle of a 3 year cycle so we need to wait a year and then we'll be good to spend in the next cycle"

Tomorrow never comes.

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Or the best one of the lot:

"We've got to be careful with FFP, we are in the middle of a 3 year cycle so we need to wait a year and then we'll be good to spend in the next cycle"

Tomorrow never comes.

Surely we are always in the middle of a 3 year cycle!  And at the beginning of one, and at the end of one

Its a rolling 3 year cycle

NB - I get that you can fudge it to some extent and have 2 years of sales and austerity to fund a "go for it" year, like Hull seem to have done

Edited by KentExile

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He specifically said that he wanted Batth but it wasnt possible. Why would he even target him if he didnt want him?

Who knows. Why would the owners sanction O Brien and then deliberately scupper the deal (according to some)? Appearances?

Is it not probable that Broughton has complete autonomy within a certain budget and anything over and above that has to be considered on an individual case by case basis?

If say we got 25m for Wharton. In theory we could go send 10m to running costs splash 5/6m on a quality striker. Then have 10m to bolster everywhere else. Wed possibly be able to mount a late play off charge. HOWEVER none of that will happen. 

I also fear that if we get a big chunk of money and don't spend it, it'll disappear next time venkys are in front of a judge asking to send more money the answer will be "no you've just got 20m use that" 

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Who knows. Why would the owners sanction O Brien and then deliberately scupper the deal (according to some)? Appearances?

Is it not probable that Broughton has complete autonomy within a certain budget and anything over and above that has to be considered on an individual case by case basis?

Usually the most obvious explanation is the most accurate. Venkys probably didnt sanction a January war chest that was turned down, Venkys probably didnt sanction a deal purposely to fall through and Broughton is probably genuine in wanting experience and being disappointed in not getting it.

Whether that is specifically because the owners wont allow players over a certain age or whether its because we cant afford the going rate for Championship players hence why we had to borrow a young defender for minimal/no wage contribution instead, who knows.

If we get £20m guaranteed for Wharton and it allows us to spend at least £10m on 3 quality players, I'd reluctantly say we should. CM is probably our strongest area - Tronstad and JRC will probably play and there's Garrett and Buckley when he returns, as well as the Swedish loanee. Sometimes you have to cash in to build the rest of the team. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alex l said:

If we get £20m guaranteed for Wharton and it allows us to spend at least £10m on 3 quality players, I'd reluctantly say we should. CM is probably our strongest area - Tronstad and JRC will probably play and there's Garrett and Buckley when he returns, as well as the Swedish loanee. Sometimes you have to cash in to build the rest of the team. 

Again, like the many other posts that say the same thing, what has happened in the last 13 years to suggest that this is a possibility?!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, alex l said:

We are not a club that does this.

Anyone (I know you have just said "if") thinking selling Wharton gives us a chance to strengthen hasn't been paying attention. 

The apparent court non-decision means this will be our bill-paying money. And we lose our only creative central midfielder.

2 minutes ago, alex l said:

I’m not sure we can expect to get much more for a Champ player. If £20m isn’t enough to sell, I’m not sure what is. The timing is a problem alongside the obvious question of how much we’d get to reinvest, but £20m+ does seem too much to turn down. Ideally we hold out to the summer so don’t weaken the squad and get a slightly higher fee, but can understand if the club chooses to take the money now.

£25m with a sell on % and I'd sell A Wharton. He is a top player but, for me, he's a luxury player and we'd be a far better side if we could invest in the money in buying a good striker, winger and GK. Losing him wouldn't be like losing a 20+ a season goalscorer, for example.

27 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Looks like Palace are serious and trying to get this tied up before any other clubs get involved. Testing times for the club for sure.

Think everyone has forgot about the player himself,they could offer 25 ml and I don’t think Adam would go there. He knows there are more interesting teams watching him including Newcastle who I think will be his destination, when they sell a couple and be in a position to buy again re FFP.

• Like 1