BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

1 minute ago, Herbie6590 said:

This window reeks of expediency. The bare minimum simply to keep us ticking over. Will it be enough? Not wholly convinced TBH but a lot of players need to step up to the mark very quickly for safety to be assured.

The phrase “kick the can down the road” was used on here & that’s exactly what we’ve done. The Indian court situation is the lead weight round our ankles. Unless & until that is resolved we are ticking over…simply trying to maintain existence.

Relegation this time would consign us to the third tier for a while in my view.

Relegation at this point would also be JDT’s fault. Let’s not forget that the palpable poor mood, is partly down to 1 win in 10 in the league, and a “head coach” blaming all and sundry bar his inability to “coach” us into defending set pieces.

• Like 1

• Herbie6590 changed the title to That *was* the January Window
  • Herbie6590 unpinned this topic
1 minute ago, Bronzed A Donis said:

To frame it another way, those who spend a greater proportion of their free time discussing the club they care about that they can view it on a granular level and get into more of the minutiae,  which evidently concerns them due to their deep love for the long term stability of the club?

Not sure once it gets to that point it's worth pointing out the roses under the horse crap,which of course may appear negative.

All message boards are reactionary, considering what cards we have to play with as a fanbase this is very moderate compared to almost every other forum for any other club or in any other sport, I've seen.

What about those who would like to “view it on a granular level and get into more of the minutiae” but cannot be arsed sifting through the repetitive, factually incorrect and cathartic bellyaching?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bronzed A Donis said:

To frame it another way, those who spend a greater proportion of their free time discussing the club they care about that they can view it on a granular level and get into more of the minutiae,  which evidently concerns them due to their deep love for the long term stability of the club?

Not sure once it gets to that point it's worth pointing out the roses under the horse crap,which of course may appear negative.

All message boards are reactionary, considering what cards we have to play with as a fanbase this is very moderate compared to almost every other forum for any other club or in any other sport, I've seen.

All forums are like this. Yes more reactive, you aren’t going to get the Oxford Debating Union with both sides getting an equal look in, they just don’t work that way, but as you say also a more granular look at things. 

On the flip side a hell of a lot of football fans just want to watch their team on a Saturday, they’ll read snippets on the LT and as it’s the social media age they may well ‘Like’ a club post on Facebook and that’s it. Neither is wrong, just how people approach supporting their team, how much free time they have to waste on message boards!

But there’s no doubt this place has been bang on the money since day one. ‘Doesn’t look right, doesn’t smell right’.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

I'm curious now about the summer planning. Fleck and McFadzean, are they given an oppurtunity to prove themselves and get another longer contract? I'm guessing they're on wages that's not sustainable for us past the coming six months, but if they're both planning on continuing their careers, then they're obviously highly motivated to prove themselves.

Or are they both just interim options and we have some longterm targets that we're hoping to land early in the summer so they can get a full pre-season in? 

14 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

This window reeks of expediency. The bare minimum simply to keep us ticking over. Will it be enough? Not wholly convinced TBH but a lot of players need to step up to the mark very quickly for safety to be assured.

The phrase “kick the can down the road” was used on here & that’s exactly what we’ve done. The Indian court situation is the lead weight round our ankles. Unless & until that is resolved we are ticking over…simply trying to maintain existence.

Relegation this time would consign us to the third tier for a while in my view.

I think "bare minimum" sums up the window perfectly. At one point though it didn't look like we were able to get that done so the late flurry may scew some people's perception of how good the window was.

Edited by RoverDom
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

John Fleck?? To honest be that is 100% someone we need so I’m loving that signing. 

Hes direct, experienced, and also very good defensively - let’s say an older version of Rothwell. I hope we can keep him and extend him past 6 months.

I have him as the Scottish Morsy, he could play a bit and was a major part of SU kicking their way up the leagues.

Like McFad, who is a genuine thug, and maybe Maguire, he adds much needed physicality to what was a soft team.

It may ease the load on Garrett to be the hard man and allow his football skills to develop more.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JBiz said:

You can’t compare this place to anywhere else, because all of the most angry, most reactive, most short sighted, most regularly dismissive of others and arrogant, the most likely to be finger pointing and blaming other fans…

They’re already here! Moderates have been chased out in droves. 

If you don't like the room try the door

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

Is McGuire going to be eligible to play tomorrow? Just wondering as I know there’s a few visa/work issues. 
Fleck and McFadzean straight in?

"Subject to international clearance and visa requirements."

So that will take some time. 

1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I have him as the Scottish Morsy, he could play a bit and was a major part of SU kicking their way up the leagues.

Like McFad, who is a genuine thug, and maybe Maguire, he adds much needed physicality to what was a soft team.

It may ease the load on Garrett to be the hard man and allow his football skills to develop more.

I messaged my Sheff United mate this morning about Fleck and McFadz on the back drop of us needing to toughen up, manage games better and drag the young lads through.

His reply “🤣🤣🤣…well you’ve nailed that brief then! Fleck and McFadzean are hard as fuckin nails. Not sure they’ve got the legs anymore but trust me, no one will mess with ya now!”

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, JBiz said:

What about those who would like to “view it on a granular level and get into more of the minutiae” but cannot be arsed sifting through the repetitive, factually incorrect and cathartic 

Then do as you are doing and provide a response. Share that different opinion and outlook? Your opinion is just as valid. If you don't want to sift through discussions you feel are inaccurate then just don't?

It's just natural that the deeper you look the uglier it looks over the last decade.

I can enjoy a few signings,  I can enjoy going to Ewood, I can enjoy watching kids development (our own). However that's just me. I've friends who are just Saturday 3-5 that's fine too. I personally do find it cathartic to share on an anonymous message board my concerns with the way this club has been run. I wouldn't dare chastise you for feeling different, it's a message board, ultimately the proof is in the pudding and we all want the same thing a successful Rovers. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

"Subject to international clearance and visa requirements."

So that will take some time. 

That’s what I thought. Gutted. Tomorrows my last game for a while as I’m going to be working away. At least I won’t need a vpn to watch roverstv

I suppose thinking about it if we are going 352 Fleck may not be expected to be that mobile. Adam Wharton didnt need to get around too much in the system, neither does Tronstad. The forwards and wing backs do all the running.

So maybe injuries and age will be less of an issue.

2 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

That’s what I thought. Gutted. Tomorrows my last game for a while as I’m going to be working away. At least I won’t need a vpn to watch roverstv

From what I can see, Wahlstedt's first matchday squad was on August 27, 2023, after having signed for the club on August 8. 

He received his visa so was able to train with the squad from August 9, but I'm guessing it takes a couple of weeks before McGuire is in the squad. Hopefully he can make his debut with a brace against the Toons.

• Like 1

Very worrying times next summer. Just can't see how the club is going to survive 8 of the the squad leaving with no funds coming in.

The dressing room morale can't be great seeing your best young player leave, the money not be reinvested and half the side only being here until summer. Is a player who knows he's off in 6 months really gonna give 100% for the cause?

Edited by benhben
  • Like 6

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I suppose thinking about it if we are going 352 Fleck may not be expected to be that mobile. Adam Wharton didnt need to get around too much in the system, neither does Tronstad. The forwards and wing backs do all the running.

So maybe injuries and age will be less of an issue.

I highly disagree. Tronstad does a lot of pressing and tracking back, and covers a lot of ground during a match. I'd like to see some stats to back up your claim. 

3-5-2 will solidify us defensively but it won't make it easier for us to score, if we use the past as evidence.

Turning all SWAG for a moment, yesterday should keep us in the Championship without relegation worries.

With Fleck, MacFazdean and Garrett likely to feature, the ice pack and stitches count in the opposition dressing rooms will go up quite a bit...

17 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

"With Tom Bogert confirming that the loan fee is worth $700,000 with a purchase option of around $7 million, plus $2.5 million in add-ons"

Equivalent to roughly 550k, and then £5.5m + another £2m, madness 

• Like 1