BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leicester City (h) - 01/10/23

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It was a poor pass I think to Carter initially but the main blame for that went to Markanday, not Pears. 

As I said, 5 major goal costing errors. Anything around that is small change. 

And that's justified,keepers make mistakes and are rightly called out, but we got to a point where quite a few were actively looking for anything to throw at him and blaming him when it wasn't justified.

If the same ones are expecting Wahlstedt to save the 2 at Rotherham, he's on a hiding to nothing. The lad needs to be given a chance.

7 minutes ago, M_B said:

And that's justified,keepers make mistakes and are rightly called out, but we got to a point where quite a few were actively looking for anything to throw at him and blaming him when it wasn't justified.

If the same ones are expecting Wahlstedt to save the 2 at Rotherham, he's on a hiding to nothing. The lad needs to be given a chance.

Has anyone at all blamed Pears for the 2 at Rotherham?

He is being called out for the constant mistakes that I listed and you seemed to agree with, its as simple as that.

You keep saying about "giving the lad a chance." I dont get why you keep saying that. Firstly, what people say on here makes absolutely no difference to how our players do anyway, so its totally irrelevant. But Pears has been criticised for making goal costing mistakes, its nothing to do with what the fans think. If Wahlstedt makes mistakes that cost us goals, he will also be criticised. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, USABlue said:

Funny Tyrone IIRC we had the last few years moaning about the manager worrying about our opponents "let them worry about us" seemed to be the call then.

When you’re playing the top of the pile who’ve just come down from the Premier League and all your recognised strikers are out through injury you need to be more circumspect. Of course you can be more attack minded against the lesser teams in the league when circumstances allow.

Only positive from yesterday is that Leo now gets a run in goal. 

Pears simply doesn't make saves, like the last season with Robinson in net, it's either wide or it's a goal at the moment. 

He should've taken the first goal comfortably and taken everyone between him and the ball out with him, not much he could do with the second to be fair. 

Also, the opposing managers praising how we play is easy when they can score 4 against us every week, it's entertaining at times but it won't be entertaining if we're in the bottom 3 come Christmas time, but I don't blame JDT. His style has been clear, we should have signed players to fit it, and we didn't. 

14 hours ago, bazza said:

JDT is bound to change something. He has his reputation to think of, surely.

Why would he? He's playing fluid attacking football with a second rate squad. His reputation is safe whilst the idiots are still in charge. He was let down for the second window in a row.

8 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

I, too, can't comment on the game because I'm still too incapacitated to get down to Ewood; still haven't got round to getting Sky; and was a bit hacked off by the commentary on talkSPORT 2.

Because I haven't yet got Sky, I'm largely dependent on Radio 5 for comments on the Rovers. I'll be interested to see if the other panellists - especially Mark Chapman, if he's back from the Ryder Cup on Radio 5 - pick Chris Sutton up on his remarks over the weekend on tonight's Monday Night Club. I'm always impressed by him and by how much he obviously loved his time with us.

I honestly don't know what we can do about the owners. They obviously satisfied the conditions of the "Owners' Test" before the Walker Trust washed their hands of us and I guess it must be one of those tests that, once you've passed it, it stays on your record forever.

More's the pity for us.

I think the “ test “ then was “ show us your bank account “. After that there was nothing.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

13 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Pears simply doesn't make saves, like the last season with Robinson in net, it's either wide or it's a goal at the moment. 

He should've taken the first goal comfortably and taken everyone between him and the ball out with him, not much he could do with the second to be fair. 

Also, the opposing managers praising how we play is easy when they can score 4 against us every week, it's entertaining at times but it won't be entertaining if we're in the bottom 3 come Christmas time, but I don't blame JDT. His style has been clear, we should have signed players to fit it, and we didn't. 

I don’t think we ever had the money to sign the players capable of playing to “ his style “. That was obvious right from the start.  In that case you have to modify your style to fit the players you actually have. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Whilst I agree, our main issue with our current style of play is how exposed the defence is. Wharton is totally overrun as our sole CDM, leaving a 4 on 4 vs our defenders. I actually think man for man the defence are quite good, but we are reliant on them having great games to keep the opposition out as they're left with so many difficult situations.

His main ire seemed to be the lack of attacking signings (which is fair), but I'm not sure it would have changed much at the other end of the pitch. He prefers Wharton deeper to collect and play the ball, but for me we need Travis a bit deeper too - or some sort of 'enforcer' to protect the back 4. 

On the flipside - my gut feeling is that the current style is an exaggerated version of his preferred style of football, with us over compensating with kamikaze football due to our lack of finishers and clinical edge. He perhaps wagers we need to pile more players forward as we don't have a number 9, and as such we suffer at the other end. It's clear we need a balance, but perhaps with a balance we'd never score and we have to throw more mud at the wall for something to stick. 

I realise the post starts by disagreeing and ends with agreeing, which shows the indecision I have! 

Edited by smiller14
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, smiller14 said:

Whilst I agree, our main issue with our current style of play is how exposed the defence is. Wharton is totally overrun as our sole CDM, leaving a 4 on 4 vs our defenders. I actually think man for man the defence are quite good, but we are reliant on them having great games to keep the opposition out as they're left with so many difficult situations.

His main ire seemed to be the lack of attacking signings (which is fair), but I'm not sure it would have changed much at the other end of the pitch. He prefers Wharton deeper to collect and play the ball, but for me we need Travis a bit deeper too - or some sort of 'enforcer' to protect the back 4. 

My gut feeling is that the current style is an exaggerated version of his preferred style of football, with us over compensating with kamikaze football due to our lack of finishers and clinical edge. He perhaps wagers we need to pile more players forward as we don't have a number 9, and as such we suffer at the other end. It's clear we need a balance, but perhaps with a balance we'd never score and we have to throw more mud at the wall for something to stick. 

I realise the post starts by disagreeing and ends with agreeing, which shows the indecision I have! 

That's one thing I agree on, Wharton as a single pivot isn't fair on him. He's being asked to cover too much ground. 

Only one man in world football is good enough to play as a single pivot and he's at Man City.

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

Oh and final point from me, those claiming the squad is too good to go down, we're a Szmodics hamstring away from disaster.

I’ve heard all that before. The 1966 team with Ronnie, Dougie, Mike England, Fergie, Keith Newton, Andy Mac, was “ too good to go down “. But they did. Same old story - not enough goals at one end and a keeper not doing his job at the other. Look at the players in Kiddo’s team, he had the best squad by far in the Div once we’d been relegated but he’d have taken us down again if Jack hadn’t have fired him !

No such thing as “ too good to go down “ and this team at the moment certainly isn’t.

Some teams have the smell of relegation about them. We’re not there yet but we must be a cause for concern.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Oh and final point from me, those claiming the squad is too good to go down, we're a Szmodics hamstring away from disaster.

With how much work he is being asked to do and no obvious replacement on the sidelines in the squad currently, this isn't too far off.

12 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Leicester were a level above Rovers. 4-1 was unfair, but a win was a long shot.

An awful start. Good recovery, then go in at the break down to a class goal from Vardy. Then dominate the first 20 minutes of the second half, only to give away a daft penalty. Game over. 

Rovers need a new keeper, some height, a midfield grafter, and someone who can score goals. 

Rovers won't go down, but there isn't much to look forward to.

Regarding the “ some height “ and “ a midfield grafter “ I was expecting Tronstad to be that player. He falls down in the height category ( mods - am I allowed to say that ? ), we’ll see if he’s a grafter when he gets a game. It’s starting to look like JDT isn’t impressed so far.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

Not having  a go, @Sweaty Gussets; but we'll have to get better, or we'll be back on board the League 1 Express before any of us is much older.

What does it take for the penny to drop with our owners? The damage their stewardship is inflicting on our club must surely be affecting their general reputation.

It’s way past that point. Their reputation is in the gutter. They stopped worrying about that years ago, if they ever did.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Regarding the “ some height “ and “ a midfield grafter “ I was expecting Tronstad to be that player. He falls down in the height category ( mods - am I allowed to say that ? ), we’ll see if he’s a grafter when he gets a game. It’s starting to look like JDT isn’t impressed so far.

To me, he doesn't look suited to the English game. It's too quick for him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

To me, he doesn't look suited to the English game. It's too quick for him.

I’ve only seen him play in the flesh for 30 minutes at Accy but I was underwhelmed to say the least. It’s not fair to judge a player on that basis but I saw nothing that I could hang my hat on in that time.

I generally avoid this forum immediately after a loss. Posts and opinions full of negative emotions generally doesn’t create an atmosphere for constructive debate.

My opinion on the game for what it’s worth…..more than in it for 80 mins. The Travis/Sammie chance at 2-1 being the turning point. At times I thought our play was very good. When we get it right we play some excellent stuff. Just the balance between attack and defence needs addressing. I’m not panicking at this stage (9 games in to the season people!)

I thought Brittain and Moran were our standouts yesterday.

Keep the faith….

Whether it's Tronstad or someone else, something needs to change in the middle. Just having an extra body in there would help massively. Having Wharton and Travis both looking to get forward is leaving us massively exposed when we lose possession, there's nobody left to protect the defence, which is bringing about more errors from them.

If JDT doesn't rate Tronstad then I'd be looking at chucking Garrett or JRC in the middle to crowd the midfield a bit more, certainly away from home and against the top teams at Ewood.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Has anyone at all blamed Pears for the 2 at Rotherham?

He is being called out for the constant mistakes that I listed and you seemed to agree with, its as simple as that.

You keep saying about "giving the lad a chance." I dont get why you keep saying that. Firstly, what people say on here makes absolutely no difference to how our players do anyway, so its totally irrelevant. But Pears has been criticised for making goal costing mistakes, its nothing to do with what the fans think. If Wahlstedt makes mistakes that cost us goals, he will also be criticised. 

Yes, he was criticised for the 2 at Rotherham or I wouldn't have mentioned it, but since you asked the question, it seems we're in agreement that it was ridiculous. 

When I'm saying give him a chance, that is the kind of criticism I'm on about. 

2 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

Whether it's Tronstad or someone else, something needs to change in the middle. Just having an extra body in there would help massively. Having Wharton and Travis both looking to get forward is leaving us massively exposed when we lose possession, there's nobody left to protect the defence, which is bringing about more errors from them.

If JDT doesn't rate Tronstad then I'd be looking at chucking Garrett or JRC in the middle to crowd the midfield a bit more, certainly away from home and against the top teams at Ewood.

If he hasn't changed something in the middle when playing the best team in the league, I can't see him doing it any time soon unfortunatly.

• Like 1

Fairly evenhanded for 60 minutes or so, then our players tired, Leicester expertly took the sting out of the game, and relied on Premier League class players to make the most of their opportunities, which they did.  Still, even in those fairly even 60 minutes we were trading chances with them, and I don't think that would have worked out either. We desperately lacked an attacking focal point for those last 30 minutes, I'm very happy with Szmodics run of form but our high energy style will always mean that he'll fade out of games the further they go on. Would have loved a decent center forward to put in crosses towards once the pace died down. 

Sigurdsson and Moran looks class. Carter and Hyam shaky but not given enough protection. Wharton might be due for a rest, overshadowed by Moran yesterday. Markanday lively but looked out of his depth against the opposition.  Pears is having a nightmare, needs to be benched for his own good with or without that injury. 

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, M_B said:

Pears has had plenty of chances already, that’s the problem. 
How many goals does he have to cost us, before we drop him then?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ossyian said:

What a pile of shite. The highlights were teamwork, players showing emotion, players caring about individual and team results, playing under immense pressure to the best of their ability. The best team event in world sport bar none. Football has much to learn but never does. Oh and Rovers were crap again making the same silly mistakes time and time again. L1 beckons again. Oh for Howard Kendall “boring”us with magnificent 1-0 wins week after relentless week until the opposition gave up. Don’t think JDT has that in his locker

It would be comparable if golfers had 10 other golfers harassing and tackling them before, during, and after they made their shots... 

I notice the clamour for Leo has tempered a bit recently after we've let plenty goals in during his 1.5 game appearance.

Rovers really should have signed an experienced back up keeper which would also help with the coaching of the others.

• Like 2

Is it possible we have the roles of Travis and Adam Wharton completely the wrong way round?

Wharton would score, create chances and not tire as much in an advance position IMO. Travis has the legs to keep up if we are ever caught out at the back and he is the player who CAN cover for 2.

For me Wharton is a bit of a luxury CM. I would ideally play him in front of a midfield 2, in Travis and Tronstad. Certainly against a good team who can counter.

but JDT clearly wants our player who is most comfortable on the ball closer to our defenders since we play out from the back.

• Like 5