BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry City (a) - 4/10/2023

Getting worried about our ability to stay up. Not that I blame JDT at all. 

I was worried prior to last season with the squad much reduced, key players still not replaced and an over reliance on youngsters from the academy.

This year has seen that but in even starker fashion. At least last year we replaced the three who went on frees with players with championship experience. This year we lost yet more experience, and haven't replaced a single one with any championship experience. 

We've lost striker after striker and not replaced or replaced with very green players. It's got all the hallmarks of disaster. That we are still in games, picking up points and having some good performances is impressive, but the absolute neglect of the squad is only seeing us go one way. 

Our squad players are now key men, which they have proved they can't be. We're on barrel scraping and punts on the unknown - some of which won't pan out. It's only going to go one way. 

Venkys are pure scum for what they have done to this club. To think we shouldn't have been relegated from the Prem, and now Championship future looks sketchy.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Lucky the manager's name is Jon and not Tony. Pitiful stat.

Lucky it's the beginning of Jon's second season after a very good first one, rather than about 4 years into Tony's journey to nowhere.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Just watched Newcastle highlights. A few seasons ago they were relegated and did poorly with terrible owners. Now look at them. Gives me hope! It can get better for Rovers. We know the true cause.

Any links to jdts interview on BBC twitter?

I guess it depends on what owners we want.

Not too sure how I would feel if I was a Newcastle fan right now, as for me an an outsider, the ownership does not feel right.

• Like 1

Frustrated…there is a basis of a good team there but you can’t keep cutting and changing and expect to perform. The warning sides were there when Waggot said consolidate and stay in the league. There is absolutely no long term planning at this club.

I feel for JDT he deserves way more than what he is getting. The young players deserve support we have some talent there in the likes of Wharton. We will get better I believe as the young talent learn. I understand as well owners can have finance issues, but Venkys have always been short term and reactive rather than pro active. The fault lies with Waggot, Pasha, Gregg, Venkys. They are the decision makers and they are the ones who should have done better. Let’s not forget the money from Rothwell and Diaz we could have got! We would kill

for that today

• Like 2

Any club or set of owners that weren't on the cliff edge of a financial meltdown would look at finishing 8th then 7th as a massive opportunity.

They'd do all they could within their means to give it that little extra push and hope to crack the top 6. Not this lot though, oh no instead it provides an opportunity to cut the budget and reduce the club to fishing in a tiny pond and filling the squad with even more cheap youth.

All whilst having the brightest most ambitious young coach they've ever had who probably costs half of some of the previous shite.

• Like 5

Gutted about the result as everyone else is, with it being 0-0 going into the last 10 minutes I just had a feeling we were going to get done. A great away display from Cov ironically!

I thought Leo looked good, calm on the ball and willing to claim balls or punch them out. Tronstad looked pretty good when he came on, won the ball, looked forwards, had some good runs and great passes. A midfield of him and Wharton dovetailing could be exactly what we need.

As others have said, it was just so frustrating we don't have a natural no. 9 as the amount of times a ball was crossed or whipped across the six yard box but there's no-one attacking it or one of the wide players gets to the byline but then has to go backwards because no-ones gambling. I think if a Leonard or Ennis, maybe even a Gallagher, had been on last night they'd have had a goal or 2.   

Bit of a 6 pointer on Saturday now

Just gave everyone on the POTM centre a 6/10, felt like it was going to be one of those 0-0 sort of games, but Coventry nicking it at the death was hard to take.

Now the dust has settled I remain convinced that we'll be fine and the results will turn.

Poor officiating on the Moran goal, rattling the crossbar and it deflecting out for a corner, Sigurdssons poor decision making at 0-0 with the shot....the key moments that went against us.

Still feel as though it'll all click and we'll be back on track. Hopefully at Loftus Road on Saturday.

Looking at the highlights, it appears that the ball is touching the keeper's hands but I wouldn't say its in his hands if that makes sense. Not sure if we'd had VAR whether it would have been given. 

Gutted that Hill's shot didn't go in, would have been a great way to open his account, and I would have liked to see a replay of when Markandy went down in the box in the first half as looked like a pen but I was quite high up

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Lucky the manager's name is Jon and not Tony. Pitiful stat.

I know it’s said tongue in cheek to gain a reaction, but around this stage of Mowbrays stint he was just handed £12m to spend on strikers….then we had another 3 years of nothingness with them. 

• Like 5

Nothing will change until the owners are gone.

We are very much NOT in the category I've seen some on here and on twitter claim us to be of 'too good to go down'.

We're conceding over 2 goals a game, if that continues we'll be down by Easter.

Horrific season in store and a season of 'what could have been' had we signed players able to make the most of the attacking style we've employed. All caused by those fucking wankers who we should be grateful for apparently. 

My positives from last night to try and lift the mood...

- Brittain looked class in that fullback into midfield role, my MOTM.

- Hill shored up the backline and looks as good as Hyam and Carter.

- Moran continues to impress and is our most dangerous attacking/creative player.

- Tronstad looked miles better than he has in that pivot/enforcer role so is getting up to speed finally.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Carter Dolan Markanday Pickering Pears are all league one quality.

Very harsh on Carter, he's not started the season well but was excellent last. Doesn't bode well for a centre back when your mate is having a stinking season too.

• Like 3

Got excited when I saw Rovers had tweeted that we'd scored, only to then see it wiped out. I knew what would happen after that, it was seemingly inevitable...as it was last season at Cardiff, and Wigan, and probably a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

QPR is a must win. Losing to them would be a horrible low given their own problems. I read somewhere that they haven't won a home game for months....just in time for Rovers to turn up, so I'm kind of dreading it.

We're probably one of the best sides in the league playing between boxes, but that means absolutely nothing when you're ineffective in keeping clean sheets and scoring goals to win games.

On paper this Rovers team is way too good to go down, and realistically I don't feel we will get relegated....but it's going to be a slog of a season based on what we've seen so far.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, superniko said:

I know it’s said tongue in cheek to gain a reaction, but around this stage of Mowbrays stint he was just handed £12m to spend on strikers….then we had another 3 years of nothingness with them. 

It's not said at all to get a reaction, people on here harping on about Mowbray again last night. He was and is decent manager so to keep running him down when he left a year and a half ago is unfair.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, roversinmyblood said:

Because we commit so many players forward when we attack ( none of whom seem to want to shoot) that once there is a loose pass   ( which we do on many occasions) we are caught out on the counter attack ( see Leicester game for exactly that scenario). We seem to lose all shape when we attack because we just throw bodies forward. 

But this wasn't the case in this game, you are using past examples in games. Last night we didn't over attacking and leaving less defensive gaps. We didn't lose any shape last night

11 hours ago, smiller14 said:

I don't think you're wrong tonight necessarily, but I wish I had your blue and white tinted glasses! Everything is always great and everyone should always be happy. You were happy under TM and are happy now.

I genuinely wish I could feel the same way tbh, I'd be a lot happier.

Where did I say I was happy? who is ever happy losing? I take objective and perspective viewpoint of the game. Yes I am happy with JDT and how he wants our team to play.  

12 hours ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

He didn't sign Ennis. Broughton did. JDT has to make do with whatever scraps are tossed to him by the DOF, and you cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

JDT has to agree to any transfers coming in or out. GB doesn't overruled him otherwise the DoF/Head coach structure doesn't work. JDT met with Ennis before we signed him

9 hours ago, arbitro said:

We deserved far more than we got tonight and the performance was really good as we moved the ball about with a good tempo. I can't get as maudlin as some though because I believe that Tomasson will come good with these players. We were solid in midfield and defence tonight which has been a bit of an Achilles Heel for us recently and the pace of Dolan, Markanday and Szmodics really worried Coventry. Of course there are things to be critical of but for me the green shoots are growing and will flourish again soon. I am enjoying the football we are playing. I know it's about results and I would trade the two in a heartbeat but we are a work in progress and I think we have to be patient however frustrating it gets.

excellent summary there

1 hour ago, lraC said:

I guess it depends on what owners we want.

Not too sure how I would feel if I was a Newcastle fan right now, as for me an an outsider, the ownership does not feel right.

well Newcastle fans aren't bothered, Their owners are investing in the club on and off the field. I wouldn't be bothered either. 

2 hours ago, ABBEY said:

Slept on it me. Chilled , kidding .

Why didn't sig pass,? why play balls across the box when we've no striker on the pitch? Why buy a striker not up to the task , it's like cutting your nose off to spite your face? Why was Ennis on the bench if he can't come on for 20 mins? Why does jdt obsess with willy wonka and play up with munchkins? Bring back Hughes bully boys , we need scrappers in a relegation battle and this set up from top to bottom doesn't have it .

If we have no strikers for qpr why not do a Hendry or Sutton and get hill up front or one of the big lads and stuff tippy tappy crappie. 

Sparky just got sacked by L2 Bradford. His managerial career seemed to have gone downhill all the way after his big chance at City.

we pass, and we pass, and pass, and we almost gift a goal away, and we pass, and we pass and pass, and we almost gift a goal away, we pass and we pass and we pass and we almost cross the ball BUT we pass, and we pass and we pass, and we almost gift a goal, and we pass and we pass and we almost cross the ball but we pass it out of play. then we pass then we pass, then we give the ball away and we concede. And we pass and we pass............................

we are so damn predictable it hurts. No teams need to do anything special. We literally only play the width of the 18 yard box, we only play through the lines, we have to go through the middle of there back line to try and score. We refuse to cross, we refuse to go long, we pass as if keep ball wins games, it bloomin hurts. Yes it looks good, yes we can keep the ball well, but you have an end goal = SCORE A GOAL! its like we will only shoot or put the ball in the box unless weve made some sort of sexy pass and move to get in the box. The last few mins in stoppage time i think we put 2 crosses in and itcaused chaos. Even with 30 seconds left in stoppage time we just passed the ball around the centre circle. 

sometimes just mix the blooming game plan up! the one goal kick that went long in the 2nd half hill won the header we got in the box had a shot blocked and won a corner. ONCE! just ONCE.  

JDT alll i ask for is to mix the game plan up to stop making us predictable. Use the width of the pitch thanks not just the width of the 18, there's a whole lot of grass out there. 

rant done,
Miserable Fan

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Carter Dolan Markanday Pickering Pears are all league one quality.

Carter no he's just a young player hit a sticky patch but he'll be fine he's suffered more than most with the open style this season.

Pears absolutely fine as back up to a decent no 1, hopefully Leo.

The other 3 yes correct.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, metalrover said:

Sparky just got sacked by L2 Bradford. His managerial career seemed to have gone downhill all the way after his big chance at City.

Should have brought him back years ago and given him backing and he'd have got this club up.

He'll do nothing now though with what is available here the best guy for that job is already in the job but he needs at least the backing the midtable maestro got.

• Like 2

Given Tronstad's performance he could have easily started all of our games this season. Better than Travis on the ball and breaks up play, yet we have chosen to leave Wharton completely isolated game after game. I'm now completely of the opinion that Travis doesn't need to be on the pitch in his forward role. It seems like a wasted position to me that won't get you a goal but leaves you vulnerable at the back.

I think it's cost us a 6 points at home this season, that along with the Pears selection is on the manager. Pears doesn't have the physical presence to be a Championship goalkeeper and is beaten too easily.

It's been a terrible start to the season, selection wise and tactically. We've lost games unnecessarily. 

I also find it hard to believe that a manager who is willing to hand Jack Vale a number of starts up front, when he clearly wasn't up to it, isn't prepared to give Telalovic a start or two up front... doesn't make sense to me. He looks to have the attributes to be effective at this level but won't get there without minutes.

JDT seems to be refusing to play the hand he's been dealt properly and that can't be instilling confidence in the team. 

Again, Hill looks a player and could have easily started against Leicester to give us a stronger backline.

So far this season I've been disappointed with the use of Travis, the selection of Dolan and Pears, a lack of faith shown in the new striker and the performance of the manager.

There was even a game where Tronstad was playing for the u23s and at the same time the first team were losing a league match through the middle of the park. What was that about??? It all feels a bit self inflicted.