BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (a) - 29/12/23

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Swag reckons the project is to ‘develop players’ and there’s ‘no pressure to get results.

GB reckons the project it’s to become an ‘established Premier League club’…

Square that circle.

Pretty easy really, Broughton is completely full of shit.

It's an insult to anyone's intelligence to suggest that what Broughton says is in fact true. 

Edit: If the landscape has changed significantly since he made that comment then if he was a man of honour he'd be quite at liberty to walk.

But like Swag he won't we'll be stuck with both of them until they get wheeled out in a box unless there's a change of ownership.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

Obviously he doesn’t believe it, how could he with this budget, but at least he’s taking in standard football platitudes of actually, you know, trying to achieve something, even if he’s only paying lip service to it, the other fella can’t even be arsed to pretend.

Does make me laugh (cry) that the two ‘senior’ execs at the club can’t even get on the same page on what we even exist for. 

Edited by Mattyblue

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Obviously he doesn’t believe it, how could he with this budget, but at least he’s taking in standard football platitudes of actually, you know, trying to achieve something.

But just makes me laugh that two ‘senior’ execs at the club can’t even get on the same page on what we even exist for. 

Fair point.

Like I said above he might argue circumstances had changed since he made that comment but in those circumstances anyone with integrity would walk on the basis they're being asked to do something they weren't brought in to do.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

3rd lowest budget in the league suggest otherwise 

Not disagreeing but add the cost of running the academy onto our budget, and then do likewise with with the rest of the clubs. See where that puts us.

That’s why we over-perform in this league in relation to our ‘budget’.

Edited by Hasta

2 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

If whoever we got had:

1. to play a certain way. 

2. no say in who we sign.

would how far down the list they were make any difference?

Are you suggesting that's how things work now? JDT approves signings, but GB is the facilitator. Recruiting a 'modern' coach with similar ideas to that of JDT (and his ilk) is natural. My answer is yes, of course.

The risk of passing out from the back has just been exemplified by the Forest goalie 1-0 up and they gift United an unserved equalizer. The game momentum is changed. 

I get the possession thing but there is much to be said for getting it out of the danger area and hoping to win a 50/50. 

Stop press Gibbs White scores for Forest. My point still stands 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Are you suggesting that's how things work now? JDT approves signings, but GB is the facilitator. Recruiting a 'modern' coach with similar ideas to that of JDT (and his ilk) is natural. My answer is yes, of course.

It was a ‘what if’ question.

Regarding the bit I’ve emboldened - I think whether it’s natural would depend on why JDT was being replaced...

Because he’d been ‘poached’ by another club (a la Potter to Chelsea) = natural

Because he’d been sacked after a bad run of form = not natural.

Edited by wilsdenrover

4 hours ago, Torgeir said:

In our current model GB’s role really is key. He’ll have a list of replacements for every position, including JDT’s. The big question each time is how far down the list we have to go before getting our man. 

I can’t see on the list being an improvement on what we have.

They will be younger managers or coaches.

• J*B unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, martonrover said:

I can’t see on the list being an improvement on what we have.

They will be younger managers or coaches.

Most likely. But top of the list will be more ambitious like Kjetil Knutsen.

With regards to JDT and his staff, I wonder how much blame should be put on them for all the injuries we have suffered this season. Especially muscle injuries stem from fatigue and he makes everyone play matches to stay match fit, and is known to demand a lot of his players in training - and of course tactically that we do more pressing and running on the pitch. There's a downside to that too, and maybe seeing as he's still reasonably inexperienced in a 46 game league, Jon might be pushing the group too hard...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

It was a ‘what if’ question.

Regarding the bit I’ve emboldened - I think whether it’s natural would depend on why JDT was being replaced...

Because he’d been ‘poached’ by another club (a la Potter to Chelsea) = natural

Because he’d been sacked after a bad run of form = not natural.

He'll have the same list regardless of how it goes down the day Jon is finished at the club. Broughton is inspired by Liverpool first and foremost, but also by Brentford and how stats-driven they are. My guess is he's a 'modern thinker' when it comes to style of play too, so I'm pretty sure he'll try and emulate some of what has made other clubs so successful in recent years. If we get Big Sam, Sparky or Duncan Ferguson then you know it's Waggott getting into the mix.

13 hours ago, Gav said:

JDT and our current side seem to have praise heaped upon them week in week out by managers of other clubs, this time from Liam Rosenior:

"First of all, I have to say that I am so happy we don't have to play Blackburn again this season," he said.

"They are a credit to Jon. They're an outstanding, young team. I don't want to sound patronising after a win but I thought they were outstanding.

As fans we look at results, quite right too, but all these managers in Championship can't be wrong can they? 

JDT is the best manager we've had under these morons, if he was backed we'd be playoff contenders, he isn't being backed so we are a mid-table championship club, its criminal, it really is...

What's really criminal is that JDT isn't being backed when the gurning dolloper who was here before him was given millions to piss uo the wall.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Upside Down said:

What's really criminal is that JDT isn't being backed when the gurning dolloper who was here before him was given millions to piss uo the wall.

Yep.

"£1m p.a. for Charlie Mulgrew to play for League one Clubs for a couple of seasons? No problem!"

"Pay Ben Gladwin a wage to get fit whilst using our facilities even though his contract has expired? Be my guest!"

"Another new deal for Corry? - Naturally!"

"Another new deal for Stuart Downing even though he won't be playing? What else are you going to do?"

"New deal for Danny Graham even though he's moving like an arthritic tortoise? - Mais oui"

"£5m for Sam Gallagher? - Sounds like a bargain"

"What about securing the futures of our better players and protecting our main assets Tony? Ryan/Darragh/Ben/Joe etc?"

"Oooo......can't do that - we might upset the others!"

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Torgeir said:

He'll have the same list regardless of how it goes down the day Jon is finished at the club. Broughton is inspired by Liverpool first and foremost, but also by Brentford and how stats-driven they are. My guess is he's a 'modern thinker' when it comes to style of play too, so I'm pretty sure he'll try and emulate some of what has made other clubs so successful in recent years. If we get Big Sam, Sparky or Duncan Ferguson then you know it's Waggott getting into the mix.

I’m sure you’re right about GB only having one list.

I just think continuity planning needs a ‘what if this all goes tits up’ option to it.

11 hours ago, martonrover said:

When his name came up last time around, a Norwegian journalist said he and Broughton barely spoke to each other.

True, supposedly their relationship turned sour at Glimt and that’s the reason, or part of it, that GB left. I put his name up as he’s a good example of someone that should sit among the top of the list. Just maybe not ours, who knows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

Yes, I don’t see why planning for that would be a bad thing.

Clearly they’d hope to never need that ‘contingency’ but knowing what it would be seems like a good idea to me. 

Different opinions I guess. JDT doesn't seem to adapt as much to the opposition this season, while Mowbray took it one or two steps too far and went too negative. I'd like us to stay on the same course should JDT leave and we're in a relegation scrap, I prefer a bit of energy and enthusiasm about our play instead of ten Duffy's and a goalkeeper. It's the result business though so ultimately that's what I care about the most.

• Like 1