BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cambridge Utd (h) - 06/01/24 FA Cup R3

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I just don't get the negatively here, we have players coming back towards end of January/start of February plus any new signings we will make. Still a chance of top 6 finish 

Maybe he is very wary of the problem and playing with some cautious. Wouldn't you after such an injury. I broke my bone in my foot and since 4 years on I still get abit of pain with it It has healed but it will never been the same as per injury 

I think a lot will hinge on the bit in bold.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very entertaining game and Cambridge played their part in a good overall game. Pleased with JDT picking a strong team and wanting to win the game and play respect to Cambridge. 

Rovers started the game slowly and then Cambridge took a shock lead with a good shot Lankester. It took us about 15 minutes to wake up and start to up the tempo. Szmodics scored a good first time finish from the cross. Cambridge came back and scored again. Poor defending by Pickering but I do think Wahlstedt should have come and claim the cross. Rovers came back through Szmodics again. Then just before Half time Szmodics scored his third and his hat trick goal. His performance today was outstanding. 

Second half, we upped the tempo and we imposed ourselves on them more. The link up play between Szmodics, Sigurdsson and Pickering was very good today. Sigurdsson finally scored after a couple of good chances previously. Leonard's header was very good and did what a good striker should always do and head the ball back from where it came from. He did miss a open net earlier. 

good overall performance. Pleased to be through to the next round. 

Disappointed JDT took Telalovic off at half time cos he had 2 decent opportunities to score today. Felt he would score inn the second half. 

Agreed, it certainly was entertaining, and I'm glad I made the effort.

Also agreed it was good to see a strong side being selected for a cup tie, a trait of JDT's tenure, thus far.

A win is a win, and hopefully it will instil confidence in the players.

What would we do without Szmodicz? , (who was playing in his own Cambridgeshire derby).

As for Telalovic, sorry, but he wouldn't get in Cambridge's team. 

We still look all over the place at the back, and that is a worry when we play teams in our own league.

1 minute ago, wilsdenrover said:

For those who attended - was there any sign of improvement in Leo?

Nope. He just doesn't command his box, as evidenced by their second goal. It's at the point where our defence probably don't trust him to do the basics.

Same with Telalovic. He's just dreadful.

• Like 2

Just now, Wheelton Blue said:

Nope. He just doesn't command his box, as evidenced by their second goal. It's at the point where our defence probably don't trust him to do the basics.

Any hope he’ll improve or just a complete dud?

45 minutes ago, Danishfan said:

You are lucky to be able to attend 😀 I live abroad, so can only watch on TV. 

I actually bought a new (and better) TV today, because this game was on Viaplay 🙂

I was entertained too, and proud of our boys 🙂

Buy a RoversTV video pass and you can watch (almost) every match on your new TV 🙂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I just don't get the negatively here, we have players coming back towards end of January/start of February plus any new signings we will make. Still a chance of top 6 finish.

There’s being positive and then there’s this! More chance of seeing Balaji and Madame at a game anytime soon than that happening!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It sounds like some are disappointed we have won but despite winning the knife is being plunged deeper into Tomasson which I find staggering.

I enjoyed the game today. Seven goals, some good play and in the draw for the fourth round. It wasn't perfect, defensively we made mistakes early on but once we got our noses in front we grew in confidence and absolutely bossed the match and could have scored more. I was pleased when I saw the team and we put out one of the strongest sides we could have done and it paid dividends. We are in the hat for Monday's draw and I would absolutely have settled for that at 3 pm. To score five was the icing on the cake.

Cracking game, plenty goals and some lovely play, some around me were a bit disappointed we won but you can't please everyone. 

In my opinion, the club needs to extend Tomasson's contract if possible and see where he takes us, some of the football has been brilliant. 

Particularly pleased with the last goal today, fantastic cross from Pickering and a thumping header. We don't score many goals like that, and Leonard needed it. 

• Like 6

Ayari looked neat and tidy with two notable moments- a dribble past four Cambridge players in close attendance and a wriggle down the goal line.

The gulf in skill between the Cambridge players and our's was considerable so I would say promising, to be convinced.

If the Cambridge players' touch wasn't typically a yard from them, we would have been undone this afternoon. As it is the belief was flooding back in our players and we played some lovely stuff.

Very entertaining game and noticeable at the end that there was a 5 minute passage of play from both sides without a stoppage or ball out of play before Gamble and Finnernan could get on.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

What's he meant to do when the LB gets bullied and loses a header?

• Like 3

Overall it was a largely enjoyable cup tie where we dominated and creates plenty of chances. Ultimately it should've been more than a 3 goal margin but our deficiencies were on show again. 2 really poor goals, one from a set piece and the other started with poor defending from a throw in. We also missed a lot of chances. 

Some other random thoughts:

We were playing well before he came on but the team improved drastically when tronstad came on. I really like him. Whoever on the transfer thread said that they didn't rate him because he doesn't get goals and assists simply doesn't understand football in my eyes, he reads danger really well. 

Adam Wharton is a joy to watch. I appreciate that he tries those killer balls even though they don't always come off.

Moran I thought was poor 1st half and a bit better second half. He recycles the ball well but other than that doesn't offer enough for me.

I don't see it with Telalovic at all. There's a reason we don't know if he can finish, he doesn't get in the right positions and at his age it's hard to say that can be taught into him.

Leonard on the other hand, misses chances but gets them because he's got it between the ears. He works harder than ennis and his link up play is decent. I think he's the best option of the 3 available (not that it says much).

Hyam as I've said somewhere else in this thread doesn't look right to me.

Szmodics has proven to be a bargain. Where would we be without his goals.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

He didn't have anything to do besides pick the ball out of the back of his net. 

All of their other shots were speculative long range efforts. 

• Like 1

Great to be in the hat for the next round.

Sadly, we are Sammie Rovers at the moment and goodness knows where we would be without him.

Is there any official news on Sammie's injury - is it a groin or a hammy (heard it's a hammy issue)?  Poor game management by JDT - Sammie should have been off after 65 minutes (at the latest)  when we went 4-2 up.

Today's win just masks all the problems we have as a football team and I expect 'normal business' to be resumed next Saturday with a resounding defeat at The Hawthorns.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Sadly, we are Sammie Rovers at the moment and goodness knows where we would be without him.

Is there any official news on Sammie's injury - is it a groin or a hammy (heard it's a hammy issue)?  Poor game management by JDT - Sammie should have been off after 65 minutes (at the latest)  when we went 4-2 up.

Today's win just masks all the problems we have as a football team and I expect 'normal business' to be resumed next Saturday with a resounding defeat at The Hawthorns.

Excellent news Mercer, having picked up my West Brom tickets today.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Benson before the game was working with him on crosses in the warm ups. He is work in progress

5 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I think a lot will hinge on the bit in bold.

Deffo plus the signings we made in this window

42 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

There’s being positive and then there’s this! More chance of seeing Balaji and Madame at a game anytime soon than that happening!

Some of us believe in this squad and JDT. If you don't but no need to keep telling us all the time

35 minutes ago, philipl said:

In Telalovic defence, the Cambridge lads were putting some excellent blocks in and every shot Telalovic hit got blocked. Even the neutral commentator said so at one point.

deffo. He is getting back game by game

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

He went down in the first minute of the game holding his hamstring but carried on then went on to scored a hat trick and no offence but he was full of running even at 5-2. So no it wasn't poor game management by JDT. 

Hope the nobheads who fired the firework got caught. That could have ended up being fired into the Jack walker seats for all they knew. Plus there were plenty of people on the pitch when it went off.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 7

31 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I didn't notice any szmodics injury other than the dead leg he got on his hamstring early on. Hopefully it's just the kick he got.