BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Eustace - our head coach

9 hours ago, M_B said:

Good debate guys, the thing that shouts at you is the reliance that we still have on the players Broughton and Co inherited. 

The shiny new "recruitment" department needs to get its collective finger out. 

For sure, it’s still unclear to me who Broughton and co have actually signed from their A list other than Tronstad and Leo. Where the results are neutral, 1 good, 1 bad (so far). 

Other than those 2 and maybe Ennis/Telalovic none of the signings whether they be loan or otherwise seem signings that are done out of anything other than necessity to pad the squad out, filling bodies on the training ground.

As everything Rovers we’ve got a system that isn’t fit for purpose in that we have a DoF who can’t sign the players he identifies in the main. You look at the loan players and they look to be more ‘the club’ drawing on its pre-existing relationships with Brighton and Liverpool rather than signings we wanted to make, barring Moran maybe who they talked up as first choice in September (I’m still not sure). 

I feel for the recruitment team in a sense as they’re operating with arms behind their backs and taking the flack for a lot of duds. Whereas I think a number to the duds are Waggot/club signings from friendly clubs. That said the ones that look like their signings have been a very mixed bag so far

• Like 4

13 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

There have been a few changes in strategy since Eustace’s arrival in East Lancashire, one of those being from goal kicks.

Pears has tended to go longer in recent weeks whereas he previously looked to play out from the back at every opportunity.

“I don’t mind it,” he said. “Whatever the manager wants to do, I will do it.

“My legs are a bit knackered kicking 30 balls a game from not doing it! No, I am fine with it and the lads seem pretty good with it.

“We have got a good target man in (Sam) Gallagher so if he wants us to kick it a bit more, that is fine with me.”

Fairly clear what JE ball is about 

what are they doing in the academy now then since they'd have been practicing JDT ball week in week out? are they now teaching the youngsters to play long? 

• Like 3

From reading about Eustace’s background it’s clear he is open to playing different styles, not just direct.

We needed a more pragmatic approach and we are getting one.

It’s about cobbling points together using the resources we have until the end of the season, and probably beyond.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, martonrover said:

From reading about Eustace’s background it’s clear he is open to playing different styles, not just direct.

We needed a more pragmatic approach and we are getting one.

It’s about cobbling points together using the resources we have until the end of the season, and probably beyond.

Think you are right.  

Achieve safety by any means possible, then have a look what he can do with the playing style in the summer,  The stories of how he had his Kidderminster team playing (albeit in non league), and also his 2nd season with Birmingham they became a little more expansive, seem to indicate he likes to build upon solid foundations.

U21s and U18s teams not changes much in terms of  the style they have played, however, they have switched to 3 at the back in recent weeks

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, arbitro said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/13028764/premier-league-clubs-vote-for-five-year-maximum-player-contracts

The maximum is five years to pay transfer fees irrespective of contract length.

I think the wording in that article is still a bit confused, albeit it's a subtle difference.

The rate that contracts are amortised, i.e., how the costs are booked in the accounts, still relates to the length of the player's contract. So, sign a player for a £10m and a 5-year contract, it's a £2m cost in the accounts for 5 years. This will show up under 'amortisation of intangible fixed assets' in the accounts.

I think the general story with Derby is they got hit for choosing what amortisation periods suited them, which can be perfectly sound as far as GAAP goes (also see clubs taking impairments to bring forward the cost of bad transfers; there was a lot of that in Rovers' accounts back when we were negotiating our exit from FFP transfer embargoes in the mid-2010s...), but not for the sake of fiddling annual amortisation costs to game FFP.

Chelsea is apparently staying within FFP despite spending £400m+ on transfers this year by using 8-year contracts to spread out the cost (while you book profits for sales today). That does also mean that Chelsea will still have a hefty amortisation bill for the next 8 years, and the 'booked profit' for selling any of those players in the next few years will be heavily reduced, but clearly those 8-year contracts aren't within the 'spirit' of FFP rules...

The PL closed this 'loophole' by setting a maximum amortisation period of 5 years (contracts can still be longer than 5 years).

(sidenote: the NHL had this issue when it implemented a salary cap years ago. Teams started signing older stars to 10+ year contracts, with the latter years at minimal salaries as the annual cap hit was averaged across the contract length. Teams fully knew the player would retire and get off the cap by claiming injury for those latter years. The NHL retrospectively punished a couple teams for that and now have a 7-8 year max contract rule... many of the folk running the NHL aren't too clever.)

---

Accounting malarkey aside, I don't think that has any relation to the actual cashflows of a transfer. I haven't checked the regulations on this, but I can't imagine why there'd be restrictions on a club receiving a transfer fee 100% upfront versus spreading it out over X number of years.

On top of that, clubs often 'factor' incoming transfer fees (https://www.ft.com/content/e47a43dc-2362-3780-a1e3-b17b06f2c165), taking loans on those receivables today. So, for Wharton, even if we've only received £6m so far from Crystal Palace, we can probably pretty easily secure a loan (with interest) for the remaining £12m (for the guaranteed fee; I imagine factoring for add-ons isn't so easy!) if we wanted to...

tldr: I'm procrastinating from actual work

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 9

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24139093.blackburn-rovers-john-eustace-exciting-zak-gilsenan/

Love it. Some one (either at LT, rovers or JE side) must be checking this forum

We have been asking about Gilsenan and he answers. I'm impressed with the response too tbf. JE seems to be aware of him and already started training sessions with the first team. 

Hope to see gilsenan in the squad soon

17 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24139093.blackburn-rovers-john-eustace-exciting-zak-gilsenan/

We have been asking about Gilsenan and he answers. I'm impressed with the response too tbf. JE seems to be aware of him and already started training sessions with the first team. 

Has Gilsenan not been training with the first team all year? I assumed he would have been? Shocking from JDT if not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Has Gilsenan not been training with the first team all year? I assumed he would have been? Shocking from JDT if not.

Maybe but a point was made yesterday showing the images on insta etc. 

Maybe he will be the new Adam until we sell him. Get the media talking about him early enough to ramp up his value 

• Like 1

He seemed a bit caught out by the Gilsenan question, he probably wasnt expecting it. Im not convinced he is in the forefront of his mind.

Theres a huge gap to senior football so I would be wary of thinking he could be a saviour but surely he is at least worth a space on the bench over the likes of Markanday, Ayari and Telalovic. I think he could have done with a loan like a few others.

3 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Andy Bayes and Elliott Jackson have been asked on twitter about Zak Gilsenan being part of the first team. I would have him on the bench instead of Markanday 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Andy Bayes and Elliott Jackson have been asked on twitter about Zak Gilsenan being part of the first team. I would have him on the bench instead of Markanday 

Ah that makes sense. Cheers.

Yeah I agree. Hope he gets a game soon, deserves it, especially more than some of our loanees who are getting starts

10 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

Just seen our remaining fixtures…. Hope I’m wrong but struggle to see us get more than 9 points 

Ohh yeh don't look too far ahead mate. One game at a time

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Maybe but a point was made yesterday showing the images on insta etc. 

Maybe he will be the new Adam until we sell him. Get the media talking about him early enough to ramp up his value 

At the moment Gilzenan does not stand out like Adam Wharton did. He may become a first team squad player, but for me, he is a little bit too lightweight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruggles1995 said:

Just seen our remaining fixtures…. Hope I’m wrong but struggle to see us get more than 9 points 

I can see four winnable home games( Coventry, Sheff Wed, Plymouth and Millwall ), Swansea and Bristol away I would fancy us getting something, also Leicester may be on the beach when we play them.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

he has been with the first team for some time now and he has played in three League Cup matches this season. He got a head injury in October and was out for some time.

• Like 2

Ben Benson should be nowhere near the 1st team , and what irks me is seeing him with his clipboard directing seasoned pros …He is not qualified should go back to the under 11s we’re Mowbray promoted him from …Just my humble opinion 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he`s first team coach and will be coaching set pieces,downing worked as eustace assistant at birmingham if im`e correct,he has coached at all levels and is apparently well respected

Must be nice to be allowed to bring in two coaches with you.

JDT was only allowed one.

God I hate this team. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Must be nice to be allowed to bring in two coaches with you.

JDT was only allowed one.

God I hate this team. 

JDT brought 2 with him

Remy as his assistant, and Ben Rosen as a fitness coach (Rosen is off t the end of this month, presumably to wherever JDT ends up)

• Like 4