BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Travis

4 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

I don't understand. They knew they would sell Adam. Why loan out Trav?

So much happened in Jan that this wasn't really brought up by the journos but seriously someone needs to be asking GB why we loaned out trav and sold out prime mf in Adam when leaving a gaping hole in the middle of the park. 

Then we loan in fleck and don't even use him. Crazy

He was spending £3 per day on parking. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Most people could see that loaning out Travis in the first week of the window was not a rational or football-motivated decision.

It was short sighted and done purely with financial factors in mind. The opportunity to get his wage off the books until the summer too enticing and so the deal got done.

In hindsight it is of course even more ludicrous when you factor in the inevitable Adam Wharton departure, failing to spend any of that money on a replacement and then changing manager.

But remember not to look at things here through the lens of football - decisions at BRFC are not made with results and performances on the pitch in mind - they are made with finances and individual targets for the likes of Pasha and Waggott in mind, and it is clear that those targets do not relate to footballing achievements.

So we mere fans may be baffled, I suspect the rest of the Championship are too, but that's because we are football people, who want to prioritise football and results, whereas the owners and their employees are not, and never will be. One look at Ewood Park and what has gone on here over the years tells us that.

Travis fell out with the manager 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Travis fell out with the manager 

So? Are they both that unprofessional that they couldn't get on with there jobs for a few more weeks and see where the landscape was at the end of the window?

It was purely financial and that's all there is to it.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

So? Are they both that unprofessional that they couldn't get on with there jobs for a few more weeks and see where the landscape was at the end of the window?

It was purely financial and that's all there is to it.

Nope

• Like 1

Convenient to say the least that all the players who 'fall out' with people or who have their 'heads turned' always happen to be the most expensive experienced players and those who can attract interest from rival clubs.

Maybe the two are linked.

End result of course is money in and wages off. Convenient again.

• Like 2

Travis is a limited player in the same way Tronstad is but his fighting qualities were sorely lacking at Birmingham and with the team and squad struggling with form and injuries he'd be a first pick again now if he'd hung around. With Ipswich on fire though why would he want to come back?  

• Like 2

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Travis is a limited player in the same way Tronstad is but his fighting qualities were sorely lacking at Birmingham and with the team and squad struggling with form and injuries he'd be a first pick again now if he'd hung around. With Ipswich on fire though why would he want to come back?  

As I said the other night, even if Ipswich decide not to bother signing him permanently, he won't be short of Championship options.

Assuming we are still in the Championship by the summer then at best it seems we've another transfer window of cuts and money raising to pay the owners' bills whilst they continue to be investigated by the authorities. So they'll have anyone and everyone of any value earmarked for sale / departure.

Travis will have to ask himself whether he wants to return to a joke club, focused only on making cuts and downgrading / making up the numbers in the Championship, or whether he'd rather embark on a fresh start at a serious club that actually has some degree of ambition and aim.

I know which I'd rather have if I had the choice....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

I don't understand. They knew they would sell Adam. Why loan out Trav?

I'm not sure they did know they were selling Wharton.

Had the court case gone as planned and Venkys been allowed to send funds I think Wharton would have stopped till the summer. It was a knee-jerk reaction in my view. We will only have received a portion of the fee up front, but it will tie us over until more funds can be released. As many people say, if the judge says no we will be screwed.

Regardless, if we do go down, loaning out Travis will go down in Rovers history as one hell of a stupid decision. For me, Tronstadt is steady but isn't the upgrade on Trav people make out. I'd be happier at Preston with a Tronstadt / Travis midfield than any we are likely to field.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

I think with Travis being loaned out was made with a few assumptions in place:

-Buckley had come back and they needed to free up the wage budget somehow 

- they assumed the Indian Court would allow a cash injection in mid Jan. 

-they were not planning to sell adam wharton this January but in the summer.

-they weren't planning on losing JDT

So they needed to ship someone out early in the window, Travis was clashing with jdt over playing time and didn't suit the current style of play. 

Then the money from India can't get through, they then have to sell Wharton to stay solvent. Jdt goes and they hire a manager who would likely want Travis and suits the 'new' style.

Just sums up where we are as a club. The owners causing instability within the club. It's not joined up thinking it's people reacting to changing circumstances.

• Like 4

Look like Travis will be back at Rovers next season given the comments made by Eustace today. He would be better fit to how Eustace wants to play where under JDT he didn't suit how he wanted to play. Him and JDT didn't agree on how he should be used in the squad so he went to Ipswich. With JDT gone, things have changed now

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look like Travis will be back at Rovers next season given the comments made by Eustace today. He would be better fit to how Eustace wants to play where under JDT he didn't suit how he wanted to play. Him and JDT didn't agree on how he should be used in the squad so he went to Ipswich. With JDT gone, things have changed now

So when JDT didn't rate Travis, you didn't either and were quite happy for him to be loaned  out.

However now it seems Eustace rates him more highly you suddenly think Travis is OK and are happy to have him back?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So when JDT didn't rate Travis, you didn't either and were quite happy for him to be loaned  out.

However now it seems Eustace rates him more highly you suddenly think Travis is OK and are happy to have him back?

wrong Rev, What I said if he wasn't going to play the 6 role under JDT(which is what he wanted) and he was unhappy about that then it was best for him to move on and we sign players who fitted JDT style. 

Would I put Travis as captain next season? No I wouldn't. I would stick with Hyam and Szmodics

With the 4 options in there in Tronstad, Garrett, Buckley and JRC(who I would play more in CM now Adam Wharton gone) we have plenty of different options now

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

With the 4 options in there in Tronstad, Garrett, Buckley and JRC(who I would play more in CM now Adam Wharton gone) we have plenty of different options now

Wow. I think that would be a massive gamble relying on that combination.

It would be great if Buckley ever blossomed into the £10m player he was being touted as a few years ago but there's not much sign of it yet. Similarly, Garrett has promise but still has it all to prove and there are major questions over JRC's fitness.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Would I put Travis as captain next season? No I wouldn't. I would stick with Hyam and Szmodics

Another defeat. Let's hope for some inspiration and fighting talk from our senior players and captains.

"Don't boo us, we're trying. It upsets the younger lads and dominates our half time discussions".

Edited by Hasta

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That sounds suspiciously like a normal football club where the manager is allowed to recruit and select based on the attributes of the players.

What hasn't changed is the ownership and finances, both of which override any footballing factors, including what JDT, Eustace, Travis or any of us want.

10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Because he's on the bench?

21 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

So they needed to ship someone out early in the window, Travis was clashing with jdt over playing time and didn't suit the current style of play. 

Then the money from India can't get through, they then have to sell Wharton to stay solvent. Jdt goes and they hire a manager who would likely want Travis and suits the 'new' style.

Just sums up where we are as a club. The owners causing instability within the club. It's not joined up thinking it's people reacting to changing circumstances.

It’s fire fighting and no way to run a football club

• Like 3

On 15/02/2024 at 11:15, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I agree with all above..just wondering if we go back to the issue. We loaned out Travis because we had tronstad and Travis was falling out with jdt over playing time.

Why did we sign tronstad ? Or why didn't we sell Travis in the summer once we bought tronstad?

Also why is Travis our club captain?

5 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

I agree with all above..just wondering if we go back to the issue. We loaned out Travis because we had tronstad and Travis was falling out with jdt over playing time.

Why did we sign tronstad ? Or why didn't we sell Travis in the summer once we bought tronstad?

Also why is Travis our club captain?

It only makes sense if you are a Punatic

• Like 1