BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2024/25 Season Tickets

14 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

What evidence is there that the manager is unpopular ?

There is no evidence, just the feeling I have got. To be honest, only 2 wins and 0 at home are hardly going to breed popularity. You might have a totally different perception.

I heard a few grumbles on Sunday, but nothing major. JDT had plenty more throughout his reign. If we stay up he’ll get the benefit of the doubt from the fans that rock up next season .

Just god knows how many that will actually be, considering; a terrible season of results at Ewood, the general shambles that is BRFC, another summer of departures and no spend, the new TV deal and big prices.

It’s a perfect storm that can only be even remotely mitigated  with a substantial price cut.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The TV deal is a sickener for all clubs. Sky will put absolutely no thought towards the fans, moving more games here there and everywhere. It will affect crowds up and down the country, showing furthermore that when Sky said during Covid that football is nothing without fans, it was a blatant lie from their side.

Throw in the disconnect currently between the fans and the club and the shoddy way its being run with owners as bad as youll find in the EFL, and budget cuts galore. With a poor team under an unpopular manager and a pitiful home record this season, season ticket sales will dive. The only way to keep them respectable is a significant drop in price. I expect at best a freeze.

Surely it's EFL and the clubs who wanted a better and more money from the TV deal are the ones to blame not Sky? 

Did you think TV rights were going to sold for more money with more games being on TV? 

Down to Rovers to come up with a proper proposal for ST and match day prices that attracts more fans to the stadium? Bolton have done with sensible prices

Edited by chaddyrovers

I dont get why anyone would be such a staunch advocat of Sky. Obviously in conjunction with the EFL, at the cost of the match going fan who is not seen as a priority by either party. Both are only interested in money and have stopped even pretending otherwise.

Living in a dream world if people think that extra revenue will subsidise tickets, and even if it did a bit, it will make it impossible to get to games when so many are being moved regardless of price. Football is nothing without fans? Well actually the EFL and Sky couldnt give a shit about us.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

What evidence is there that the manager is unpopular ?

No wins at Ewood in 8 attempts for starters. I’m a Rovers fan and if I see a manager coming out with sound bites and making out things are all rosey, when I can clearly see the exact opposite, he becomes unpopular in my mind. If I feel that way, unless I am the exception, then I suspect others will too. Do you have any evidence that he is popular and do you feel in your heart of hearts that he is popular either with you, or the fans in general? 

• Like 2

It's the EFL and its clubs who wanted a more lucrative TV deal. All Sky has done is offer the EFL what they want. If it wasn't Sky it would have another TV company. 

It's what Rovers and EFL clubs are going have to get more supporters in ground and to appeal to non regular ST holders and match day people. 

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers have to lower the prices this coming season with the new TV deal coming which the EFL wanted more money from TV revenue. Games will be moved to a number of different kick offs from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. Rovers should charged £199 for Riverside, £249 for BBE and lower JW, £280 for JW upper wing and £330 for JW upper centre

I think Rovers also need to look at match day prices policy where you need to make attractive for walk on fans to attend also. £10 for midweek games, £15 to £20 for weekend games 

I hope Rovers actually serious think about this cos some people won't be attend to every game due to work or family commitments was kick offs changing. 

Absolutely 100% what the price structure should be.

7 hours ago, lraC said:

No wins at Ewood in 8 attempts for starters. I’m a Rovers fan and if I see a manager coming out with sound bites and making out things are all rosey, when I can clearly see the exact opposite, he becomes unpopular in my mind. If I feel that way, unless I am the exception, then I suspect others will too. Do you have any evidence that he is popular and do you feel in your heart of hearts that he is popular either with you, or the fans in general? 

No, I have no evidence as to his level of popularity. I wondered why one poster had described him as unpopular and it seems that was his own personal feelings towards the manager, which of course he is entitled to. He hasn't been manager for more than a couple of months or so ; I would guess most supporters will want to give him a fair crack of the whip before they decide.

I’d say going into Sunday the match going fans seemed content enough with him… but I think there’s a fair few doubts creeping in now.

Not sure that makes him ‘unpopular’, but then this is Rovers fans, they loved Mogga, never took to JDT, so who knows!

16 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

No, I have no evidence as to his level of popularity. I wondered why one poster had described him as unpopular and it seems that was his own personal feelings towards the manager, which of course he is entitled to. He hasn't been manager for more than a couple of months or so ; I would guess most supporters will want to give him a fair crack of the whip before they decide.

Any manager that doesn't try to win  or get level in a massive game deserves any pelters that come his way.

• Like 2

It is indeed down to personal perception, I never got the narrative that Mowbray was loved and Tomasson was never taken to myself, but we all talk to different people, sit in different areas and read different things.

On Sky/EFL they are both complicit and responsible in planning to move an even more stupid number of games from 3pm Saturday. That will drive people away I suspect but I doubt those 2 parties care about fans.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

On Sky/EFL they are both complicit and responsible in planning to move an even more stupid number of games from 3pm Saturday. That will drive people away I suspect but I doubt those 2 parties care about fans.

The EFL and clubs wanted more money from TV rights. If it wasn't Sky Sports it would be Dazn or Premier Sports. Clubs wanted more money cos they thought their TV rights was worth more the current TV deal. 

Any TV Company would more games to TV for more money. Fairly simple and understandable point of view. 

That's why Clubs are/should lower their ST and match day prices starting with this season. I have posted my thoughts what ST and match day prices. What do you think of those ideas? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I’d say going into Sunday the match going fans seemed content enough with him… but I think there’s a fair few doubts creeping in now.

Not sure that makes him ‘unpopular’, but then this is Rovers fans, they loved Mogga, never took to JDT, so who knows!

I think both were a lot more complicated that that! Mowbray had spells where he was loved but he was fortunate the covid season was behind closed doors. Wasn't there a poll on here (highly unrepresentative, granted) around then that showed about 99% wanted him gone? I never got the sense that match going fans were anything other than very supportive of JDT either, although to be fair there were plenty that were never really convinced about playing out from the back.

On Eustace, I agree that there definitely seem to be some grumblings on the last few home games' evidence. Fair or not, it's probably to be expected when you're not winning. I'm a season ticket holder who does a few aways, and I've not seen us win since November, so nobody's going to be happy in those circumstances.

I think he'll get a clean(ish) slate from a lot of fans so long as we stay up. Everyone can see that the squad has issues and he came into a pretty grim situation, so whilst this hasn't exactly been a Hughes/Big Sam-esque rescue, if we can stumble over the line he can be judged a bit more fairly next season.

• Like 1

Obviously I’m talking about match goers, Mowbray was anything but popular on here.

You think Ewood really took to JDT, especially when you consider how well he did last season? I don’t.

Lets not confuse this place, with IRL.

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The EFL and clubs wanted more money from TV rights. If it wasn't Sky Sports it would be Dazn or Premier Sports. Clubs wanted more money cos they thought their TV rights was worth more the current TV deal. 

Any TV Company would more games to TV for more money. Fairly simple and understandable point of view. 

That's why Clubs are/should lower their ST and match day prices starting with this season. I have posted my thoughts what ST and match day prices. What do you think of those ideas? 

Put the finances to one side for a moment.

What do you think of the reduction in Saturday 3pm games? Do you think that's a price worth paying and fair on the match going fan? Or do you think that, once again, the powers that be are simply cashing in and thinking only of subscribions? 

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Even if clubs agree to subsidise season ticket prices, which is a nice idea but will not happen. The number of games that Sky will be showing and allowed to be showed by the EFL is a disgrace. And even with cheaper tickets, season tickets will become less and less appealing when such disregard is shown by Sky and the EFL to match going fans making it impossible for many to attend so many fixtures when in the past, most would be 3pm on Saturday and only a fraction would be moved at the inconvience of the supporter.

Football is nothing without fans? Dont make me laugh.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I think both were a lot more complicated that that! Mowbray had spells where he was loved but he was fortunate the covid season was behind closed doors. Wasn't there a poll on here (highly unrepresentative, granted) around then that showed about 99% wanted him gone? I never got the sense that match going fans were anything other than very supportive of JDT either, although to be fair there were plenty that were never really convinced about playing out from the back.

On Eustace, I agree that there definitely seem to be some grumblings on the last few home games' evidence. Fair or not, it's probably to be expected when you're not winning. I'm a season ticket holder who does a few aways, and I've not seen us win since November, so nobody's going to be happy in those circumstances.

I think he'll get a clean(ish) slate from a lot of fans so long as we stay up. Everyone can see that the squad has issues and he came into a pretty grim situation, so whilst this hasn't exactly been a Hughes/Big Sam-esque rescue, if we can stumble over the line he can be judged a bit more fairly next season.

That is exactly where I am, the job has always been staying up. If we do, this period should be of benefit to Eustace as to what is and isn't needed going forward. 

I don't really see the point in getting rid of him, only to take another off the conveyor when he has already assessed the situation. 

1 hour ago, M_B said:

That is exactly where I am, the job has always been staying up. If we do, this period should be of benefit to Eustace as to what is and isn't needed going forward. 

I don't really see the point in getting rid of him, only to take another off the conveyor when he has already assessed the situation. 

Out of interest, do you have any doubts or concerns about Eustace and his capability to be our manager?

You always mention about a clean slate. But if you have concerns they might resurface should we start next season poorly in a way say a new manager with an actual clean slate couldnt.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Out of interest, do you have any doubts or concerns about Eustace and his capability to be our manager?

You always mention about a clean slate. But if you have concerns they might resurface should we start next season poorly in a way say a new manager with an actual clean slate couldnt.

There are always doubts ,the lack of goals scored and chances created is obviously a major one. 

It isn't blind faith, if he went tomorrow it wouldn't bother me one bit, but I'd be prepared to see how he goes on from a level start next season. He's had a good look at the squad and should be in a good position to assess what he feels is needed. 

If it makes you feel better, you can keep quoting this season's record up to Christmas,I'm sure you would, but I'd be happy to park this season. 

If he does stay, what do you feel would be a good finish? 

8 minutes ago, M_B said:

That’s a good question, albeit we don’t know how the summer will pan out. If we are in the Championship then with what little I expect us to spend , he will have done a good job if we end up about 13th. 

Edited by Hasta

32 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Unfortunately with no doubt plenty more budget cuts in the summer, just staying up will be seen as a good job from now on. 

It's quite a sobering thought having to look forward to a relegation battle every season. Obviously we may still go down this season, but if not, then dependant on the prices, it could be worth letting Waggott know we want some assurances on the owners funding and aims for the coming season, before renewing.

It is all well and good being a loyal fan, but they are now trying the patience of the most ardent amongst us.

36 minutes ago, M_B said:

There are always doubts ,the lack of goals scored and chances created is obviously a major one. 

It isn't blind faith, if he went tomorrow it wouldn't bother me one bit, but I'd be prepared to see how he goes on from a level start next season. He's had a good look at the squad and should be in a good position to assess what he feels is needed. 

If it makes you feel better, you can keep quoting this season's record up to Christmas,I'm sure you would, but I'd be happy to park this season. 

My point is more that I dont really understand how you are able to totally withhold any judgement until next season, its not a point about his ability/inability.

You have just mentioned areas of doubt so you have already yourself started to make judgements about him as the games tick by, which is natural. So even if its subconscious, you will be carrying over an opinion so it wont be a clean slate.

It woudnt make me feel better at all.

There is no if he stays, they wont pay him up even if we went down. What would be a good finish next season? Impossible to say, assuming we stay up we have to see what happens in the summer. If Szmodics goes and the owners continue to slash budgets etc, then I think we will likely go down next season.

Either way, my personal opinion of Eustace so far even allowing for the obvious difficulties is certainly more negative than positive, naturally. I dont have confidence in him as it stands to get us moving in the right direction, however he is small fry compared to the main issue which is always Venkys. I will go into next season with an opinion on Eustace and major doubts but not ones that are impossible to turn around.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My point is more that I dont really understand how you are able to totally withhold any judgement until next season, its not a point about his ability/inability.

You have just mentioned areas of doubt so you have already yourself started to make judgements about him as the games tick by, which is natural. So even if its subconscious, you will be carrying over an opinion so it wont be a clean slate.

It woudnt make me feel better at all.

There is no if he stays, they wont pay him up even if we went down. What would be a good finish next season? Impossible to say, assuming we stay up we have to see what happens in the summer. If Szmodics goes and the owners continue to slash budgets etc, then I think we will likely go down next season.

Either way, my personal opinion of Eustace so far even allowing for the obvious difficulties is certainly more negative than positive, naturally. I dont have confidence in him as it stands to get us moving in the right direction, however he is small fry compared to the main issue which is always Venkys. I will go into next season with an opinion on Eustace and major doubts but not ones that are impossible to turn around.

I just don't  see the point in carrying negativity over into next season, given the difficult circumstances in which he took over this season.

If the same failings resurface and results don't improve , then obviously keeping him on would be the wrong choice.

Edited by M_B