BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leicester City (a) - 04/05/2024 - Will We Stay Or Will We Go?

On 04/05/2024 at 15:52, speeeeeeedie said:

I'm glad it's all over. I'm also glad that Leicester didn't need anything from the game. 

Szmodics scored 27 of Rovers 60 league goals. Talk about a 1 man team. 

Whether he stays or goes, it's imperative that Rovers strengthen at the back. Only relegated Huddersfield and Rotherham conceded more. A decent keeper is paramount. 

To be fair though, the greater majority of those were under JDT.

Bristol City & Sheff Weds aside, Eustace has really tightened us up (and they were mostly conceded due to individual errors). What he needs to do is find a way of keeping us tight, whilst not blunting us offensively. It's a tough task even without factoring in that it will probably need to be done w/o Super Sammie

• Like 2

Now that it’s finally over, I have to thank the positives-  the fans.

We haven’t missed a game, and the following in the conditions, has been brilliant.
The highs of Sunderland, Leeds, QPR, Leicester, the lows of Wednesday, Huddersfield, Bristol City. The resilience at Middlesbrough, the second half was hair raising. There’s more but I don’t want to rake over cold stones.

At home, NO1 and NO5 well done- plus the pockets in the Riverside and JW Lower DE. Some good songs and consistent, through good and bad times.

The song selection at the home games also deserve a mention. Obviously the inclusion of  Hardcore Uproar, and the Wild Rover, Frenzy 👍🏻but Gerry Cinnamon, Mondays, Roses, New Order, Artic Monkeys, Smiths, Courteneers, to name a few, they aren’t from the area but they have home here.

What is the club without the fans? We can’t yet, manage what the owners do, we can only follow the boys in blue and white. 

• Like 4

On 04/05/2024 at 18:15, Neal said:

Surely EVERYONE is relieved Hyam didn't play, regardless... 😂

Don't underestimate this. Eustace was lucky to be able to bring in Fadz who is far more solid and organises the defence. Plus Chrisene was a constant outlet on the left. IMO if Hyam plays we lose.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Don't underestimate this. Eustace was lucky to be able to bring in Fadz who is far more solid and organises the defence. Plus Chrisene was a constant outlet on the left. IMO if Hyam plays we lose.

Hyam looks a lot older than 28 the way he's moving around the pitch. Might be carrying something that restricts his mobility, or he has to work harder on his agility. I'd try and get rid of him this summer, and give Fadz another season on decent terms.

WHAT A GAME though. We looked calm enough and the pace of play was sedate enough for me not to have a heart attack. But when Pears made THAT save I think my heart skipped a beat or two, and from there until Szmods scored, I was biting finger nails. Big relief after a depressing season. Sad to think that this might have been Szmodics last match for us, and that other big guns might snatch up another gem for peanuts in Finneran.

Kudos to Eustace for getting his troops in line, but we will need more strings to play on come next season. Pretty depressing if it's 25/75 possession every match I'd say.

Can't believe how low rating you guys gave Gallagher btw. Won almost all his aeriel duels in this one. Should ask Faes what he thinks about him. Great game in a poor season from him.

• Backroom
13 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

About three months apart, I’ll always remember the Arsenal game as I went on a protest pre match and got an earful for a load around m as I took my seat  - ‘just get behind ‘em’ FFS’

Needless to say most of said fans have long disappeared…

I remember that one, I think it was the one where we marched from Town Hall

8 hours ago, Tom said:

I remember that one, I think it was the one where we marched from Town Hall

I think it was the very first protest match and we went from the Havelock. It was fine until we got to Ewood and walked all the way around the ground. Some of the vitriol aimed at us was ridiculous and nobody marching rose to the clear provocation. I often wonder now what some of those people think particularly after the disastrous fourteen years.

• Like 1

Could someone please clarify this issue for me? 

Birmingham won 1-0 on Saturday giving them 50 points.

If we'd lost 1-0, we'd have stayed on 50 and the goal difference for both of us would gave been -15.

Who would have stayed up ----us or them?

Would it be us because  we'd scored more goals?

Shows what a knife-edge we were on. On that basis , if we'd lost and Big club had scored 1 more goal we would have been down.

Just now, 47er said:

Could someone please clarify this issue for me? 

Birmingham won 1-0 on Saturday giving them 50 points.

If we'd lost 1-0, we'd have stayed on 50 and the goal difference for both of us would gave been -15.

Who would have stayed up ----us or them?

Would it be us because  we'd scored more goals?

Shows what a knife-edge we were on. On that basis , if we'd lost and Big club had scored 1 more goal we would have been down.

We both started off with -16 goal difference and a three point gap. Them winning by any score and he losing would have given them a superior goal difference.

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We both started off with -16 goal difference and a three point gap. Them winning by any score and he losing would have given them a superior goal difference.

Yes, of corse you're right, I've got a headache looking at the table and trying to work out the various permutations. So, I'll get out of it by asking a more general question!

If 2 sides finish up with the same points and the same goal differences is it the one which score the most goals that stays up?

What happens if 2 sides finish with identical points and goals?

• Like 1

Goal difference, then goals scored then head to head record.

So if we’d have been level on goal difference and goals scored, as we beat them 4-2 at Ewood and only lost 1-0 at St Andrews we’d have stayed up.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Goal difference, then goals scored then head to head record.

So if we’d have been level on goal difference and goals scored, as we beat them 4-2 at Ewood and only lost 1-0 at St Andrews we’d have stayed up.

Big Club didn't have a lot going for it eh?!!

4 hours ago, 47er said:

Yes, of corse you're right, I've got a headache looking at the table and trying to work out the various permutations. So, I'll get out of it by asking a more general question!

If 2 sides finish up with the same points and the same goal differences is it the one which score the most goals that stays up?

What happens if 2 sides finish with identical points and goals?

See below (9.8 would only be used in relation to relegation/automatic promotion places):

IMG_1660.thumb.jpeg.710b1a3185f7b1f3ae67d3edc0878d53.jpeg

• Like 2

Well they seem to have covered all the angles! Ultimately decided by a play-off if can't be separated by points , goal difference , goals scored,performance against each other or penalty points issued during the season is my summary!

Don't think we will ever see one of these play-offs but at least we know!

Thanks for that!

• Like 3

On 04/05/2024 at 20:59, Bronzed A Donis said:

This is what success looks like in 2024 Blackburn Rovers. A group of players who've cried  about the fans, celebrating like we've won something,  because our 3rd win in 18 stopped us dropping into the third tier.

Please we've stayed up obviously,  it was a cracking result and the fans should be having a few, I know I have out of relief. Only Sammie should be on the ale the rest should be sloping off and taking a hard look.in the mirror and not just at each others abs.

To be fair, Sammie doesn't score 33 goals without good support from others in the team.

He takes the main credit of course, but few of his goals were pieces of pure individual brilliance from him. He was making great runs where team mates found the right pass on many occasions, & he as often as not finished it off.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

To be fair though, the greater majority of those were under JDT.

Bristol City & Sheff Weds aside, Eustace has really tightened us up (and they were mostly conceded due to individual errors). What he needs to do is find a way of keeping us tight, whilst not blunting us offensively. It's a tough task even without factoring in that it will probably need to be done w/o Super Sammie

They were. JDT conceded 55 in 29 games. Eustace 19 in 17. 

Rovers went from conceding roughly 2 goals per game under JDT to 1 under Eustace. He deserves credit for that. 

However, I think new blood at the back is still needed. A solid keeper is paramount. Pears and Walstadt aren't good enough.

McFadz is too old. Wharton injured. Hyam is seemingly losing it. Pickering and Brittain are hot and cold so replacing 2 of those would help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

They were. JDT conceded 55 in 29 games. Eustace 19 in 17. 

Rovers went from conceding roughly 2 goals per game under JDT to 1 under Eustace. He deserves credit for that. 

However, I think new blood at the back is still needed. A solid keeper is paramount. Pears and Walstadt aren't good enough.

McFadz is too old. Wharton injured. Hyam is seemingly losing it. Pickering and Brittain are hot and cold so replacing 2 of those would help.

Pears is an odd case, he's good enough one game, then not the next.

I suppose that means he's not good enough! 

20 hours ago, 47er said:

Well they seem to have covered all the angles! Ultimately decided by a play-off if can't be separated by points , goal difference , goals scored,performance against each other or penalty points issued during the season is my summary!

Don't think we will ever see one of these play-offs but at least we know!

Thanks for that!

Also they go on number of wins in the season before they get to the play off stage.

Only found that out as it was a possibility on the last day of the league 2 season with Sutton and Colchester.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, 47er said:

Pears is an odd case, he's good enough one game, then not the next.

I suppose that means he's not good enough! 

This is our level now with the way our recruitment and finances are. 

Money buys you players who are consistent, 7 or 8 / 10 performances every game. It's the problem across the board, the lack of depth doesn't help either, as we're asking players to overperform every week, stretching their ability. Need to look at Ipswich, Luton and see how they do it...

Edited by Groundhog

I have to say that I cannot remember watching Rovers highlights so many times before. Sammie's two goals are absolutely glorious to watch over and over again. I have never seen a Rovers player score a goal like the second one. It was amazing. Who played the pass? Was it Tronstad?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bazza said:

I have to say that I cannot remember watching Rovers highlights so many times before. Sammie's two goals are absolutely glorious to watch over and over again. I have never seen a Rovers player score a goal like the second one. It was amazing. Who played the pass? Was it Tronstad?

JRC I think ? Yeah I’ve watched it loads of times. I was expecting for him to take it up to the goal line, get down on his hands and knees, and head it in ! 

• Like 1

The first attempt was Tronstad winning it, Dolan beating his man and giving it back to Tronstad. Meanwhile Sammie cut across to the left and fell flat on his face as Tronnie passed it right to Gallagher who hit the side netting. No wonder Gally doesn't score more goals; useless sod!

4 minutes ago, bazza said:

The first attempt was Tronstad winning it, Dolan beating his man and giving it back to Tronstad. Meanwhile Sammie cut across to the left and fell flat on his face as Tronnie passed it right to Gallagher who hit the side netting. No wonder Gally doesn't score more goals; useless sod!

Gally didn’t even put his foot through it. Pretty weak effort.