BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am not convinced by Samuel. 

Do any of you follow him on Instagram? He is always posting videos of him mumbling to songs while driving his car. Not only is it irresponsible and dangerous, it just looks really silly.  I know its not football related, but it grinds my gears.

Football wise he looks to get distracted when things aren't going his way. Not a good sign IMO as defenders get more distracting the higher up the leagues you go. If he thinks he is marked tightly here, he ain't seen nothing yet. 

It's a shame because when he first came here I thought he would be the guy to score us 20+ goals this season and really lead us on. He definitely has the ability to power the ball home but his movement is lacking. He has this raw power to him that I genuinely believe he's going to win any 50-50 but more times than not he disappoints and seems to trundle around for 30 seconds after. There isn't that hunger that you expect to see from a young striker leading the line. Nuttall can be a bit like a headless chicken at times but at least he has that bit of effort about his game.

I still think Samuel can kick on and be a good player for us, providing he's no longer used in the wide role where he's been frustratingly ineffective. Maybe with better players in behind him (the Dack, Armstrong & Chapman trio for example) he'll start to bang them in again. I don't think that Antonsson or Bennett provide the creativity to feed a striker such as DS and perhaps that's why Mowbray is looking to add that element of flair/creativity to the team with the Armstrong signing and links with Gallagher.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Samuel has had enough of a run in the team to judge at this stage. Apparently he's been ill over the Xmas period, had his period of suspension in November which kept him out for some time.

Like so many of our players, this season has been stop-start In-out stuff. Most of them have shown that they are capable of doing the business in this division when fit and playing but virtually everyone has had periods out through injury/suspension which has disrupted them and the team.

• Backroom
52 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It's a shame because when he first came here I thought he would be the guy to score us 20+ goals this season and really lead us on. He definitely has the ability to power the ball home but his movement is lacking. He has this raw power to him that I genuinely believe he's going to win any 50-50 but more times than not he disappoints and seems to trundle around for 30 seconds after. There isn't that hunger that you expect to see from a young striker leading the line. Nuttall can be a bit like a headless chicken at times but at least he has that bit of effort about his game.

I still think Samuel can kick on and be a good player for us, providing he's no longer used in the wide role where he's been frustratingly ineffective. Maybe with better players in behind him (the Dack, Armstrong & Chapman trio for example) he'll start to bang them in again. I don't think that Antonsson or Bennett provide the creativity to feed a striker such as DS and perhaps that's why Mowbray is looking to add that element of flair/creativity to the team with the Armstrong signing and links with Gallagher.

Last couple of times I've seen him one thing Nuttall has been lacking is effort, just can't consolidate that in my head 

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't think Samuel has had enough of a run in the team to judge at this stage. Apparently he's been ill over the Xmas period, had his period of suspension in November which kept him out for some time.

Like so many of our players, this season has been stop-start In-out stuff. Most of them have shown that they are capable of doing the business in this division when fit and playing but virtually everyone has had periods out through injury/suspension which has disrupted them and the team.

Samuel hasn't done enough to deserve a continual run in the team tells you all you need to know right now about Samuel. 

Samuel has some good attributes no doubt and his fitness and form have never really got going but his on pitch persona strikes me just as another one who thinks he's a lot better than he actually is and therefore he doesn't think he has to try and prove it.

You can point to Grahams age and legs as to why he doesn't always do what he did a few years ago but Samuel etc have zero excuse.

Just now, tomphil said:

Samuel has some good attributes no doubt and his fitness and form have never really got going but his on pitch persona strikes me just as another one who thinks he's a lot better than he actually is.

Even the likes of Samuel will be " earning " more in a month than ordinary guys earn in a year. The problem is they start  believing they're actually worth it !

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Last couple of times I've seen him one thing Nuttall has been lacking is effort, just can't consolidate that in my head 

A similar thought crossed my mind and his distinct lack of effort (and his body language) looked like he is sulking about something. There is no place for that in our current position so I would send him back to the under 23's if that is the case. There was a clamour amongst the fans to get him in the first team (I was one of these) but after a bright start something clearly isn't right.

18 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Did you miss the suspension/illness bit?

Insert: animated shaking head gif and / or head banging wall

He was out of the team against Pompey and got himself stupidly sent off after 13 minutes on the pitch in a game we were comfortably winning. That was before his illness so he hasn't looked sharp for a while now. I thought he looked like a good impact player and competition for Graham after reaching match fitness, but bar a short stint of good form he has been poor overall. I also can't comprehend that when he came one for the last half an hour against Rotherham that he offered no help in defending and was just lazing around.

Needs to up his game from here on out imo.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Even the likes of Samuel will be " earning " more in a month than ordinary guys earn in a year. The problem is they start  believing they're actually worth it !

Yeah he's another who will probably be on championship wages and one thing has struck me in the difference between this league and that one is there's far more over paid wasters in the Championship. At least down here most appear to graft for their wages and enjoy playing instead of it looking like they are annoyed they've had to get out of bed and run around a bit.

6 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

He was out of the team against Pompey and got himself stupidly sent off after 13 minutes on the pitch in a game we were comfortably winning. That was before his illness so he hasn't looked sharp for a while now. I thought he looked like a good impact player and competition for Graham after reaching match fitness, but bar a short stint of good form he has been poor overall. I also can't comprehend that when he came one for the last half an hour against Rotherham that he offered no help in defending and was just lazing around.

Needs to up his game from here on out imo.

My post came across badly and not meant as pro Samuel.

He had attitude problems at Reading.

I preferred Graham but look forward to Armstrong showing what he can do.

It will give a kick up the jacksy to all our other strikers.

Graham is our first choice it seems. If I was Samuel and Nuttall I’d be running about like a muppet up front at least trying to get involved. No @#/? ever going to have a moan at someone who’s trying their hardest. Look at Bennett no goals no many assists two red cards but at least he’s trying.

1 minute ago, Garage Flower said:

Graham is our first choice it seems. If I was Samuel and Nuttall I’d be running about like a muppet up front at least trying to get involved. No @#/? ever going to have a moan at someone who’s trying their hardest. Look at Bennett no goals no many assists two red cards but at least he’s trying.

Kuqi and Dickov prime examples of hard workers who fans respected massively. Samuel could take a leaf from their book. 

Graham has been working his socks off and he isn't the fittest player on our books. It's a shame to see a younger striker then come on for him and do virtually nothing both ways. It's a liability when trying to either kill games off or keep a lead. I think Armstrong is the kind of player that has pace and will do the dirty work as well as get amongst the goals, and even if he's small in stature he will make up for it by giving the opposition's defenders less time on the ball. Both from the start and as an impact sub.

I'd like a left back, a central midfielder and a winger as well now that Antonsson is out and Conway looks short on confidence. I wonder if Conway just has too many niggles to perform to his capacity.

27 minutes ago, Garage Flower said:

No @#/? ever going to have a moan at someone who’s trying their hardest.

Are you sure?

Jason Lowe, Jason Wilcox, Brown, Ashley Ward, Andrews, Tim Sherwood, and the list goes on and on......

Limited ability in some cases but tried hard and got booed.

Yeah. I forgot that Jason Lowe has a side to his game "most fans couldn't see" :lol::lol:

Keith Andrews got booed because he wasn't good enough and came on the advice of a failed manager. He was a poor player for us but not in the same league as Jason Lowe.

Ultimately Lowe presided over the worst Rovers starting 11 in the 21st century and was fundamental to most of our flaws. It is of no surprise that our good run last season coincided with his injury. Every man and his dog could see our weak point but alarmingly he was made our captain. I guess Coyle comes under the special group reserved for those who could "see" Lowe's qualities.

36 minutes ago, Gav said:

Are you sure?

Jason Lowe, Jason Wilcox, Brown, Ashley Ward, Andrews, Tim Sherwood, and the list goes on and on......

Limited ability in some cases but tried hard and got booed.

Andrews, Wilcox and Lowe to some extent didn't get stuck in, that could have contributed to the fact. Andrews kept pointing and Lowe has never passed a ball forward in his life. Ward was just out of his depth and looked like a donkey when running.

Fans will always go after someone. I went to a Spurs - Chelsea game a couple of seasons back and couldn't believe how negative some of the Spurs fans were towards Kyle Walker.

58 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yeah. I forgot that Jason Lowe has a side to his game "most fans couldn't see" :lol::lol:

Keith Andrews got booed because he wasn't good enough and came on the advice of a failed manager. He was a poor player for us but not in the same league as Jason Lowe.

Ultimately Lowe presided over the worst Rovers starting 11 in the 21st century and was fundamental to most of our flaws. It is of no surprise that our good run last season coincided with his injury. Every man and his dog could see our weak point but alarmingly he was made our captain. I guess Coyle comes under the special group reserved for those who could "see" Lowe's qualities.

He is the John Cena of football 

41 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Ward was just out of his depth and looked like a donkey when running.

I honestly don't think there will ever be a Rovers player I hate with more of a passion than Ashley Ward! His name makes me shudder, He's still number 1 villain in my book, with Leon Best, David Goodwillie, Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu not far behind!

I remember Ward 'diving' in front of the Blackburn End during a game and the home crowd chanted ''OFF OFF OFF''

6 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

I honestly don't think there will ever be a Rovers player I hate with more of a passion than Ashley Ward! His name makes me shudder, He's still number 1 villain in my book, with Leon Best, David Goodwillie, Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu not far behind!

I remember Ward 'diving' in front of the Blackburn End during a game and the home crowd chanted ''OFF OFF OFF''

Poor David Badpenis, I don't think he did much wrong apart from being the Scottish Wayne Rooney , minus the football talent unfortunately 

Maybe i'm wrong but I don't recall Lowes name being booed before kick off or him being booed off / on the pitch ?

Yes one or two groans at times when another pass failed or another ball was turned back to the keeper when there was no real need but they are all subject to that reaction now and again, in game frustration is rather different to genuine dislike.

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am dreaming we sign them

I like the idea of a fit and hungry Graham with them. A wiley old pro. Murray does it for Brighton in the Premiership :) 

Graham hasn't done it for us in either League 1 or the Champiinship since he secured a permanent contract.

Archived