BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2018-19

Weekend events...

I think that we all must be aware these days of players feigning injury as part of any preconceived thought process, be it; time wasting, getting another player carded, simulation in order to gain an advantage and awarded a foul, this is coached and part and parcel of the game.

However what I abhor is when such players, also as part of this also scream in agony, as though they are seriously injured. This is just an embarrassment and such players need bringing to book, starting with their union taking a lead.  We saw how Maddison in effect had Maitland-Niles sent off. We had a similar incident against Derby in front of the Riverside where I sit, when I think it was Mount likewise screamed in supposed agony, with the briefest if any of any contact.  I took the opportunity of shouting to him, what an embarrassment he was. For certain, when a player does incur a serious injury, they seldom scream, or roll around on the floor, referees need to wise up to this. 

A similar team this season I witnessed were Villa, so it comes as no surprise that they were involved in yesterday's incident at Leeds. The authorities need to give a timely remember that it's the referee who decides whether to halt play, not the players, who would do well to remember one of the first things they should have learnt when they began playing football...play to the whistle!  Another gripe of many supporters when the ball is kicked out, when play has not been halted by the officials. 

Finally, I feel very sorry for Bolton Wanderers, shame on the football authorities, the EFL, the FA, the Premier League, all hang your heads in shame for not addressing fit and proper rules, allowing such events to occur. Their business model is flawed without them taking ownership of their product, start by franchising out to clubs their positions in their leagues, with cast iron regulations to follow, whereby if as can be seen with Anderson and Bassini, they do not comply and are not fit, then their franchise is removed and reappointed to deserving  custodians.

• Like 2

Just now, Boz said:

Weekend events...

I think that we all must be aware these days of players feigning injury as part of any preconceived thought process, be it; time wasting, getting another player carded, simulation in order to gain an advantage and awarded a foul, this is coached and part and parcel of the game.

However what I abhor is when such players, also as part of this also scream in agony, as though they are seriously injured. This is just an embarrassment and such players need bringing to book, starting with their union taking a lead.  We saw how Maddison in effect had Maitland-Niles sent off. We had a similar incident against Derby in front of the Riverside where I sit, when I think it was Mount likewise screamed in supposed agony, with the briefest if any of any contact.  I took the opportunity of shouting to him, what an embarrassment he was. For certain, when a player does incur a serious injury, they seldom scream, or roll around on the floor, referees need to wise up to this. 

A similar team this season I witnessed were Villa, so it comes as no surprise that they were involved in yesterday's incident at Leeds. The authorities need to give a timely remember that it's the referee who decides whether to halt play, not the players, who would do well to remember one of the first things they should have learnt when they began playing football...play to the whistle!  Another gripe of many supporters when the ball is kicked out, when play has not been halted by the officials. 

Finally, I feel very sorry for Bolton Wanderers, shame on the football authorities, the EFL, the FA, the Premier League, all hang your heads in shame for not addressing fit and proper rules, allowing such events to occur. Their business model is flawed without them taking ownership of their product, start by franchising out to clubs their positions in their leagues, with cast iron regulations to follow, whereby if as can be seen with Anderson and Bassini, they do not comply and are not fit, then their franchise is removed and reappointed to deserving  custodians.

I saw a few serious injuries playing amateur football, two involving myself. Rolling around on the floor isn't on the agenda. You lie very, very still and hope the pain goes away. 

My rule of thumb - the more rolls = the less injured the player is.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I thought Villa were completely in the wrong. The rule is the ref needs to blow for an injury, you can't just stop playing and then sulk when the opposition score. Leeds should have told them to do one. Hardly surprising they are so dislike-able now with Terry as assistant manager. 

Bamford should be ashamed as well. Does he not realise there are cameras at games? 

Thing is it has crept into the game over the past few years below rules radar. Teams should as you say play to the whistle.

The feature of this incident was the Leeds player feigning to play the ball out which Villa bought and from then on were on the back foot. That was, in the context of teams now expecting the ball to go into touch in such situations, wrong by Leeds.

No whistle had gone so I don't blame the Leeds player from going on to try and succeed in scoring, he still had work to do. If he had stopped he then has to explain himself to 40K irate Leeds fans - not an option.

Bamford was pitiful and I had the same thought about cameras and awareness. Shame that as Bamford is some player.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I saw a few serious injuries playing amateur football, two involving myself. Rolling around on the floor isn't on the agenda. You lie very, very still and hope the pain goes away. 

My rule of thumb - the more rolls = the less injured the player is.

I got one major injury, a very powerful kidney impact. On the grass I could not move or speak for what seemed ages. Then I went off to hospital.

Roll around? if only.

38 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I got one major injury, a very powerful kidney impact. On the grass I could not move or speak for what seemed ages. Then I went off to hospital.

Roll around? if only.

I had a compound fracture of my tibia and fibula and the first movement I made after that was assisted by the paramedics, onto the stretcher. 

• Like 2

I think the main issue with the Leeds Villa debacle, wasnt neccesarilly about simply putting the ball out. If you watch the clip the leeds left mid or full back signalled to the rest of the players he was going to put the ball out and then kicked it down the line. After this the Villa players stopped until the Leeds forward ran onto it. 

I agree teams should play to the whistle and I wouldnt put the ball out of play unless the ref stopped it. Signalling your about to kick it out and then not doing so is a bit dodgy though. Saw a boxing match once where Floyd Mayweather signalled he was going for a handshacke and then threw a punch to an off guard opponent. Guess its kind of similar. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, benhben said:

I think the main issue with the Leeds Villa debacle, wasnt neccesarilly about simply putting the ball out. If you watch the clip the leeds left mid or full back signalled to the rest of the players he was going to put the ball out and then kicked it down the line. After this the Villa players stopped until the Leeds forward ran onto it. 

I agree teams should play to the whistle and I wouldnt put the ball out of play unless the ref stopped it. Signalling your about to kick it out and then not doing so is a bit dodgy though. Saw a boxing match once where Floyd Mayweather signalled he was going for a handshacke and then threw a punch to an off guard opponent. Guess its kind of similar. 

I don't think the Leeds player was being deliberately sneaky though, it just looked like there was uncertainty as to whether the ref was going to stop the game. He didn't and they played on. 

Football League have released another vague statement saying they're still talking about when to play the phantom Brentford match, seemingly suggesting that this Wednesday is the favoured date but that Bolton haven't confirmed it is possible for then. Also apparently the safety group are meeting next week suggesting the fixture may be held beyond the end of the season.

What a scandal. Lets see what punishment Bolton get for this. I suspect they'll be more eager to punish them than they were before having brought the image of the competition into disrepute. In my opinion the least they should get is -3 for the start of next season.

Bolton now reported to League Disciplinary Commission.

If only that were their only problem...

League want the Brentford game rescheduled for Wednesday but

April wages due Tuesday, plus March to pay...

OK put the kids out but everybody involved in staging the match (security, ground staff, medics, stewards, bar staff etc etc also need paying plus back pay)

Football League now meeting to consider whether the game could be played at all.

FFS put Wanderers into administration and get it out of the hands of Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I can't remember anything remotely like this happening at this level of the game. The EFL have tried so desperately to get Bolton to the finish line, but the club is in such disarray that even scheduling a match with the U18's seems to be beyond them. Embarrassing doesn't even begin to describe it. 

6 hours ago, Husky said:

Would Leeds have let Villa score if they had needed the 3 points for automatic promotion?

I think not.

Could you imagine that after Sheffield Utd. being relegated after the West Ham cheating/player ownership scandal.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

OK put the kids out but everybody involved in staging the match (security, ground staff, medics, stewards, bar staff etc etc also need paying plus back pay)

I imagine that excuse won't wash and they will be told to play behind closed doors or even at the training ground.

Supporters are not necessary for the game to be played.

Just ask Steve Waggott

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lraC said:

I had a compound fracture of my tibia and fibula and the first movement I made after that was assisted by the paramedics, onto the stretcher. 

I got lucky. Cartilage and groin strain plagued me and my hips are dodgy but no major breaks like that. I saw plenty, but never caused one I'm happy to say.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:43, lraC said:

That happened to me too. I didn't move either. People there said it sounded like a gunshot.

17 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I got lucky. Cartilage and groin strain plagued me and my hips are dodgy but no major breaks like that. I saw plenty, but never caused one I'm happy to say.

I broke 2 lads legs, not compound like mine but breaks all the same. Both were without intent and innocuous challenges too. I'm still baffled how one of them happened nearly 30 years later.

I am with the majority that the ball should not be put out of play for "injuries". Carry on playing. Players and refs usually know when someone is really hurt. A lack of movement, concern from those close by, players not lying on their front, and not clutching their face. If it's serious the ref will blow their whistle.

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

That happened to me too. I didn't move either. People there said it sounded like a gunshot.

I broke 2 lads legs, not compound like mine but breaks all the same. Both were without intent and innocuous challenges too. I'm still baffled how one of them happened nearly 30 years later.

I am with the majority that the ball should not be put out of play for "injuries". Carry on playing. Players and refs usually know when someone is really hurt. A lack of movement, concern from those close by, players not lying on their front, and not clutching their face. If it's serious the ref will blow their whistle.

2 lads I played with suffered breaks, in different games,  with no opposition player anywhere near just by turning. I think studs too firmly planted into the pitch caused them.  As you rightly say it sounds like a gunshot. 

So Bolton's fate depends on the EFL deciding if Bassini's money is credible or not at a meeting tomorrow.

Bonkers position to get themselves into- do Bolton's creditors sue the League if they say yes and it goes a over t?

Brentford game definitely not happening this week- they have four days after Sunday under League rules to finish their season.

Brentford and Forest must be fancying improving their goal differences.....

It's clear that the League will do everything they can to help Bolton get through to the summer solvent. They've managed to get to this stage without any sanctions and the League have offered to fasttrack them through their tests to complete the takeover more quickly than it would usually take. Conveniently their two fixtures remaining are against two sides in no promotion or relegation trouble. Would have been very interesting indeed if they were playing Derby/Boro/Bristol City.