BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

Not long ago it was said he wasn't a defender and should be starting as a midfield stopper, same with Lenihen I said it myself. Amazing what difference one good game makes although I don't think we should lose sight of the fact the way Millwall play and the way TM set out today suited those two more than maybe some more open games.

He certainly lloked the part though and personally I wouldn't mind a back line of Nyambe or a new one, Lenihen, Rodwell, Mulgrew.  I think Charlie would be a cracking left back at this level and we'd then have a solid back line with height in it and a bit of craft. 

Won't happen though so I'm only dreaming.

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Not long ago it was said he wasn't a defender and should be starting as a midfield stopper, same with Lenihen I said it myself. Amazing what difference one good game makes although I don't think we should lose sight of the fact the way Millwall play and the way TM set out today suited those two more than maybe some more open games.

He certainly lloked the part though and personally I wouldn't mind a back line of Nyambe or a new one, Lenihen, Rodwell, Mulgrew.  I think Charlie would be a cracking left back at this level and we'd then have a solid back line with height in it and a bit of craft. 

Won't happen though so I'm only dreaming.

Completely get what you mean, especially with Laurel and Hardy as our current options at LB, but I just don’t think Charlie’s body could cope with the demands of playing as modern day FB. From memory he played there when he was younger for Celtic a fair bit though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Completely get what you mean, especially with Laurel and Hardy as our current options at LB, but I just don’t think Charlie’s body could cope with the demands of playing as modern day FB. From memory he played there when he was younger for Celtic a fair bit though.

Yeah fair point but the prospect of him launching passes from left back wets the appetite a bit more than those two being the oppositions 12th man when it comes to passes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swanson said:

Does anyone think he will get his contract extended?

I think (providing he picks up no long term injury) Mogga will give him another year. 

Can play CB or CM and versatility is always useful. 

There is a decent player there, it's probably a lack of consecutive games that's holding him back. Providing he stays on course for the rest of the season, we probably wouldn't see the best of him until next season anyway.

• Backroom

I’m enjoying watching him here but I think he may move on, he’ll likely have done enough to have established himself again after Sunderland and could end up with options and if he isn’t playing regularly here may decide to move on.

Personally if Reed was to go back I’d be looking for him and Travis to build an understanding in the middle.

I guess things are so bad at left back that Mowbray might give Mulgrew a whirl there, but I just can't see it being a long term thing. He just doesn't have the legs.

Like others have said - main hope for Rodders is if we go three at the back.

-------------------------Raya

-------Lenihan----Rodwell----Mulgrew

Nyambe------Travis-----Reed---Bennett?

-------------------------Dack

---------------Graham---Armstrong

That's not a bad team. Wouldn't mind seeing it given a go. Again not sure if it's a long term thing though, I'd be concerned Mulgrew would be vulnerable down the channel. We would still need to sign a proper pacy left back/left wing back to cover him.

• Like 2

Rodwell showed class on a number of occasions yesterday- we all know he has that.

What marked yesterday's game was he played a full match without any howlers. If he keeps this up he should surely be coming through as a first team regular. 

With him, Travis and Dack we will have something beginning to look like a Premier League quality spine.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomphil said:

Yeah fair point but the prospect of him launching passes from left back wets the appetite a bit more than those two being the oppositions 12th man when it comes to passes.

I think he could play there for that reason, but not in the current system Tony uses

I wouldn't be a fan of him left sided in a back three in fact i'm not a fan of a back three at all but he's done it a time or two and not looked comfortable and not launched any passes.

Mind you debating the merits of him or Rodwell at centre half is quite nice not long ago it was a debate between Gordon Greer, a lad on loan and Wes fookin Brown !!!!!

Shows how far we've come, the new Colin Hendry will be along soon ?

• Like 2

I think Sheffield United have shown the way forward of how to play a back three using ex-Rover Jack O'Connell.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that well-managed, Rovers have an absolute gem on our hands in Rodwell. 

Extend his contract please.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, philipl said:

I think Sheffield United have shown the way forward of how to play a back three using ex-Rover Jack O'Connell.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that well-managed, Rovers have an absolute gem on our hands in Rodwell. 

TBF Downing would look good against a team that puts a lot of balls in the box because he is comfortable with the aerial stuff. Downing's problems come when he is up against pace. He turns like a carthorse.

Rodwell, based on his appearances so far, also struggles with people running at him, hence the two (?) penalties he's given away in his brief time on the pitch. 

Sheff Utd ironically wanted the much-maligned Lenihan. Probably because he fits the bill of being big and strong and capable of running the ball out of defence. If there is a gem in that defence it's him (and Nyambe). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philipl said:

The big question mark on whether we do or not is still fitness, for me. He hasn't fallen to bits yet, like some may have predicted, but he has missed a few squads and has only managed one full game. He has time to prove more beyond the end of the season, which is good. 

His quality is undoubtedly there though, and I agree that playing in a back three is made for him. If we could get away with another 12 months with an option of another year in our favour, then brilliant, but I'm not sure if he'd accept on those terms. 

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

TBF Downing would look good against a team that puts a lot of balls in the box because he is comfortable with the aerial stuff. Downing's problems come when he is up against pace. He turns like a carthorse.

Rodwell, based on his appearances so far, also struggles with people running at him, hence the two (?) penalties he's given away in his brief time on the pitch. 

Sheff Utd ironically wanted the much-maligned Lenihan. Probably because he fits the bill of being big and strong and capable of running the ball out of defence. If there is a gem in that defence it's him (and Nyambe). 

Duffy and Hanley were similar slide a ball down Grants let side or between them and they were in trouble, Duffy had legs like a new born giraffe on the deck at times,  Big Col was always done for pace when left exposed although he usually nailed them which was still in the rules then.

We've struggled with the ariel physical stuff at times and I think that's why Downing stands out a bit from the others he's more suited to it.

For me that's where the balance of two centre backs complementing each other comes in and we haven't had that here since Samba and Nelson I don't think.

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Duffy and Hanley were similar slide a ball down Grants let side or between them and they were in trouble, Duffy had legs like a new born giraffe on the deck at times,  Big Col was always done for pace when left exposed although he usually nailed them which was still in the rules then.

We've struggled with the ariel physical stuff at times and I think that's why Downing stands out a bit from the others he's more suited to it.

For me that's where the balance of two centre backs complementing each other comes in and we haven't had that here since Samba and Nelson I don't think.

Most centre halves are vulnerable to the sort of ball that gets them turning sharply. That's why they are centre halves and not strikers. An ideal pairing is one centre half that dominates in the air and a quicker guy that gets everything on the ground.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Most centre halves are vulnerable to the sort of ball that gets them turning sharply. That's why they are centre halves and not strikers. An ideal pairing is one centre half that dominates in the air and a quicker guy that gets everything on the ground.

Kevin Moran and David Mail.... ?

I just wonder if the whole idea of Rodwell is just to get him fit and relaunch his career from here, he comes in works on his fitness, has a short contract, steps in and helps out when needed and at the same time puts himself in the shop window.

Was he ever going to be 'our' player so to speak ?  Very much sounded like Mowbray was unofficially alerting other clubs.

Come the end of the season if he is still doing OK then just offer him a one year extension on the contract we want to offer. 

If he accepts then fine, if he moves on so be it.

Judging by the reaction of people on social media to him in the Netflix documentary (which I haven't seen), he isn't going to be popular wherever he goes. That alone might limit his options.

Edited by Hasta

17 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I just wonder if the whole idea of Rodwell is just to get him fit and relaunch his career from here, he comes in works on his fitness, has a short contract, steps in and helps out when needed and at the same time puts himself in the shop window.

Was he ever going to be 'our' player so to speak ?  Very much sounded like Mowbray was unofficially alerting other clubs.

That's a new one ?

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's a new one ?

Not really if they wanted to give the lad a helping hand because long term he might have other aspirations and be too dear for us to keep.

Edited by tomphil