BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

You state your opinion as if it were fact. If your comment was right then how do you explain Brereton whatever the price we have clearly overpaid on a 4th choice striker/ 6th choice winger?

... you just said it’s either A or B if we don’t sign someone, which is exactly what you’re criticising Chaddy for!

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

No I didnt say that..

We try to sign a striker but unable to get our 1st choice strikers. No point signing we didnt want

What about 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice?

I think it is quite naïve and foolish to set out with one target in mind and refuse to go elsewhere should that not be possible. We're a mid-table 2nd division club with a limited budget. We aren't in a position to have only one choice. By all means have a favourite but have a back up to go elsewhere If needed.

• Like 2

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

West Brom close to Montero from Swansea, winger. Haven’t signed Jabob Murphy yet. 

Still holding hope

Another Maddison. Nobody has linked us to him. Mowbray has said we're only after a striker. You're going to be disappointed if you think we'll get him.

Just now, Tugayisgod said:

So Huddersfield, Fulham, possibly the Dingles, Cardiff are all bigger than Leeds, Sheffield Utd, Derby,?

Right o

Your forgetting teams like Southampton, Crystal palace, Newcastle and Brighton? All within a few points of the drop zone.

All the teams mentioned will have more money to spend as well. Your also gambling on the owners being interested next year. Don't be fooled twice it's happened before.

3 minutes ago, Biz said:

I personally don’t think going from league 1 to the premier league in 2 seasons is “ambitious” I think it’s flipping hopeful at best, and downright ridiculous at worst.

By the same token, some fans said Dack would be gone last summer too, and a few of those who are looking to stick the oar in “a lack of ambition” for only adding Chapman wanted rid of Mowbray a month ago..

It’s up to you if you want to complain and moan if we don’t sign a striker or get promoted though. Have a blast.

Southampton did it a good number of years ago? In the summer staying up was the aim but to stand by that and not have a good is very foolish. Football's a momentum game. Strike while your on the way up or tumble back down.

On the Dack point. Who in the premier league was really going to take a gamble on a league 1 player? Now you look now. He's in double figures for goals and also assists plenty. Why wouldn't a west ham have a gamble on him or if Fulham came down to then get them back up. 

Again. Lack of ambition for me. But you sit on your mediocrity. Seems to suit you well. 

• Like 1

It’s going to take a number of things to fall into place for us to get someone today IMO. Saints getting at least 1 striker for Gally, Boro getting a striker and nobody else beating us to (probably) half of BA’s wages, no PL or Champ clubs coming in for CA. Just cannot see it as I haven’t for a few days. 

10 minutes ago, Biz said:

I personally don’t think going from league 1 to the premier league in 2 seasons is “ambitious” I think it’s flipping hopeful at best, and downright ridiculous at worst.

By the same token, some fans said Dack would be gone last summer too, and a few of those who are looking to stick the oar in “a lack of ambition” for only adding Chapman wanted rid of Mowbray a month ago..

It’s up to you if you want to complain and moan if we don’t sign a striker or get promoted though. Have a blast.

We are 4 points from the play offs. Would we have a better or worse chance of making up that ground on the play offs, if we strengthened the squad? 

We have a weaker squad going into the final stretch of the season than we did at the start of the month. Palmer and Downing (a bit part player but still a squad player) have gone and Chapman has come in but the manager himself has said is for the future as he isn't anywhere near fit enough for now.

Edited by Ewood Ace

11 minutes ago, Biz said:

Said southampton and norwich fans

• Like 1

• Backroom

Personally at this point in the season I'd prefer to bring in the best possible quality of player to push us towards being realistic top six contenders, rather than signing a player with the thought of them one day becoming great. Things change in this league very quickly. Millwall were sniffing around the playoffs last year, but this year it's been a relegation battle. Ideally we want to keep the momentum of the last month going strong and bringing in top players, even if only on loan for a few months, would be more likely to help us achieve that goal than bringing in prospects who may take time to get up to speed. 

For the record long term planning should always be at the top of the agenda, but those kinds of signings usually happen in the summer rather than the winter. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I don't think we are promotion candidates at the moment but we are surely play off candidates.  For me, it's not about getting the goals for the rest of the season, it's not letting them in.  I'd invest today in a good championship defender like Grant and I'd get Joe Hart on loan and put them both straight in.

If you want to focus on not letting goals in then don't sign Joe Hart.

• Like 3

Or it shows that, as everyone said at the start of January, that it's an incredibly hard window to strengthen. 

Money is obviously available. OUR FECKING CHIEF EXECUTIVE AND MANAGER CONFIRMED THAT MONEY IS AVAILABLE AND WHAT OUR RECRUITMENT STRATEGY IS.

I don't know what more proof anyone needs.

I'm believing Mowbray and Waggott over people's brother's girlfriend's step mum's doctor who works part time as the Forest dinner lady and says that Brereton was expensive. 

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Madon said:

I'm trying, it's all gone quiet... if I hear anything I'll share it.?

Do you wonder if you annoyed someone at Ewood, hence not heard much since the initial revelation?

From Mowbrays previous comments earlier in the window it sounded like we weren't going to sign anyone but to get Chapman on a permenant deal on peanuts is great business. I'm holding out hope that seeing as he now has the no11 shirt we will see him make a contribution towards the end of the season to push us on. It will be dissapoiting not to bring an out and out forward in BUT if we don't then we surely must give BB a go through the middle and try and see a return for that investment. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Mike E said:

Do you wonder if you annoyed someone at Ewood, hence not heard much since the initial revelation?

I think that is probably the case! 

Just now, Neal said:

From Mowbrays previous comments earlier in the window it sounded like we weren't going to sign anyone but to get Chapman on a permenant deal on peanuts is great business. I'm holding out hope that seeing as he now has the no11 shirt we will see him make a contribution towards the end of the season to push us on. It will be dissapoiting not to bring an out and out forward in BUT if we don't then we surely must give BB a go through the middle and try and see a return for that investment. 

What's wrong with you? Where's the negativity man?

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Hopefully not!

I know you're not a fan but a return of 12 goals for us out of position in a team that got relegated is surely not to be sniffed at? Especially if you get him at a reasonable price. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

If we don't bring anyone in it shows one of two things. Either that we don't have the ambition to make a push on the top 6 or that the budget was blown on Brereton and there is no money left. Either way its disappointing as we have needed another striker since the summer.

Option three there was no one available that the manager wanted.

2 minutes ago, Neal said:

I know you're not a fan but a return of 12 goals for us out of position in a team that got relegated is surely not to be sniffed at? Especially if you get him at a reasonable price. 

Was he out of position?

I thought I  remembered he played the whole season up front until Mowbray came in and shunted him into a "wide forward" role?

Edited by MarkBRFC

Just now, rigger said:

Option three there was no one available that the manager wanted.

Option 4 its naivety on mowbray's part thinking just because rovers are on a decent run theres no need to strenghten. Until graham or dack get long term injuries.

5 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Your forgetting teams like Southampton, Crystal palace, Newcastle and Brighton? All within a few points of the drop zone.

All the teams mentioned will have more money to spend as well. Your also gambling on the owners being interested next year. Don't be fooled twice it's happened before.

Southampton did it a good number of years ago? In the summer staying up was the aim but to stand by that and not have a good is very foolish. Football's a momentum game. Strike while your on the way up or tumble back down.

On the Dack point. Who in the premier league was really going to take a gamble on a league 1 player? Now you look now. He's in double figures for goals and also assists plenty. Why wouldn't a west ham have a gamble on him or if Fulham came down to then get them back up. 

Again. Lack of ambition for me. But you sit on your mediocrity. Seems to suit you well. 

I’ve no qualms with the idea about momentum and striking whilst we’ve got a good squad - but you’re mistaking (what I would describe as) a more realistic ambition for accepting mediocrity! Where have I heard that before?

As I said to Miller, most competive league in the world potentially, 12 teams minimum all still in a position to strike top six, all ambition to get the big money of the prem.

That drives cost, wages, fees up. If we broke the wage bill for someone and failed to go up - then you see the assets sold off to pay bills. Remember before?

For me, develop and add potential each window and improve the ones we have. On that, I’m not getting out my pram if we don’t buy anyone.

You can though, it’s quite hilarious.

As for Norwich and Southampton - What point does that make? Norwich hardly spent a penny and went up second in the league under Lambert and with Grant Holt upfront... I seem to recall Henri Lansbury (a loan) was key.

Southampton sold Bale, Oxlade Chamberlain and a host of others at that time - players they developed and sold for big profits funded their improvements and kept them in the prem.