Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

If Mowbray's comments re. Bauer are anything to go by then he's not going to be shopping in the League One aisle of the transfer store. Likewise if his comments about building towards promotion next season are accurate he's going to be taking a massive gamble if he intends to do that by focusing his search on the lower leagues. Of course there are handy players out there and Preston have done well at recruiting them but for me if you're aiming for promotion next season you either need to be prepared to invest in Championship or above proven players or have the skills to exploit the European market.

I was refreshed to hear Mowbray's comments re. the defence and bringing new players in. However, I am not convinced that rectifying our leaky defence and horrific goals against column is quite as straightforward as going out and signing some new defenders to replace those here. It should help but the other element here is coaching and team structure and I believe when you've conceded as many as we have, and particularly the way in which many have been conceded, there are other issues that need dealing with rather than just going and signing someone else and expecting the defence to improve overnight. The whole team needs to defend better and that means being fitter, more disciplined and better organised e.g. set pieces. Someone like Allardyce is the expert at sorting out a defence. He can go into a struggling side leaking goals with low confidence and immediately and drastically reduce the goals against column. Not by going and signing different players, but by sorting out those he inherits straight away and replacing them in due course. I'm not sure that Mowbray has this ability. Also worth noting that defensively we were far from impressive last season and that was when we had better players than most other sides so how do you explain that?

Moving forward I believe 5-6 quality additions are required at a minimum, assuming we keep Dack, Lenihan and in the hope that Armstrong, Brereton and Rothwell kick on and improve from being potential to regular performers. 

Replacing Downing with a quality CB is essential, as is replacing Leutwiler with a better GK. Replacing Harrison Reed (if he can't be brought back) is essential. Obtaining a partner/backup/replacement for Danny Graham is essential. Replacing Conway with a quality winger who can cross a ball is needed.

Unfortunately I doubt things will be so straightforward. I expect that Samuel, Chapman and Davenport will be sold to the supporters as being 'new signings' given they should be fit and up to speed for the new season. Problem is we've no idea how any of them will fare at this level. Finding someone to take Smallwood off our hands will be tough. Even for free I can't see anyone paying him more than we are. Same goes for Mulgrew (if we actually want him to go).

So Mowbray has to convince the Indians to back him, identify the right players, then manage to get them here whilst getting shut of a few on lengthy contracts to balance the books. Won't be easy, or quick. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Conway return for pre-season without a contract and then him end up getting another year once Mowbray realises the constraints he's working within and the difficulty in getting someone better in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can all sh!t on this as a worthless twitter rumour but.......

A Sheff Wednesday fan has tweeted that he was in a bar with the Rotherham United squad and the midfielder Will Vaulks said he was in talks with Rovers. There is no reason for someone like that to spread bull but you never know i suppose. I suppose we will soon find out if that is true and if it materialises or not. Think the real fun and games will start properly in 4 to 5 weeks. Lets hope it's a productive summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JeffRover said:

You can all sh!t on this as a worthless twitter rumour but.......

A Sheff Wednesday fan has tweeted that he was in a bar with the Rotherham United squad and the midfielder Will Vaulks said he was in talks with Rovers. There is no reason for someone like that to spread bull but you never know i suppose. I suppose we will soon find out if that is true and if it materialises or not. Think the real fun and games will start properly in 4 to 5 weeks. Lets hope it's a productive summer.

Didn’t know we had him on trial in 2014?!

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/10936405.blackburn-rovers-take-ex-tranmere-defender-will-vaulks-on-trial-from-falkirk/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike E said:

I didn't have a clue about that either! The cheek of some who say that Bowyer could judge a player. I think it was his Dad who did all of the good scouting personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If Mowbray's comments re. Bauer are anything to go by then he's not going to be shopping in the League One aisle of the transfer store. Likewise if his comments about building towards promotion next season are accurate he's going to be taking a massive gamble if he intends to do that by focusing his search on the lower leagues. Of course there are handy players out there and Preston have done well at recruiting them but for me if you're aiming for promotion next season you either need to be prepared to invest in Championship or above proven players or have the skills to exploit the European market.

I was refreshed to hear Mowbray's comments re. the defence and bringing new players in. However, I am not convinced that rectifying our leaky defence and horrific goals against column is quite as straightforward as going out and signing some new defenders to replace those here. It should help but the other element here is coaching and team structure and I believe when you've conceded as many as we have, and particularly the way in which many have been conceded, there are other issues that need dealing with rather than just going and signing someone else and expecting the defence to improve overnight. The whole team needs to defend better and that means being fitter, more disciplined and better organised e.g. set pieces. Someone like Allardyce is the expert at sorting out a defence. He can go into a struggling side leaking goals with low confidence and immediately and drastically reduce the goals against column. Not by going and signing different players, but by sorting out those he inherits straight away and replacing them in due course. I'm not sure that Mowbray has this ability. Also worth noting that defensively we were far from impressive last season and that was when we had better players than most other sides so how do you explain that?

Moving forward I believe 5-6 quality additions are required at a minimum, assuming we keep Dack, Lenihan and in the hope that Armstrong, Brereton and Rothwell kick on and improve from being potential to regular performers. 

Replacing Downing with a quality CB is essential, as is replacing Leutwiler with a better GK. Replacing Harrison Reed (if he can't be brought back) is essential. Obtaining a partner/backup/replacement for Danny Graham is essential. Replacing Conway with a quality winger who can cross a ball is needed.

Unfortunately I doubt things will be so straightforward. I expect that Samuel, Chapman and Davenport will be sold to the supporters as being 'new signings' given they should be fit and up to speed for the new season. Problem is we've no idea how any of them will fare at this level. Finding someone to take Smallwood off our hands will be tough. Even for free I can't see anyone paying him more than we are. Same goes for Mulgrew (if we actually want him to go).

So Mowbray has to convince the Indians to back him, identify the right players, then manage to get them here whilst getting shut of a few on lengthy contracts to balance the books. Won't be easy, or quick. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Conway return for pre-season without a contract and then him end up getting another year once Mowbray realises the constraints he's working within and the difficulty in getting someone better in.

The cynic in me does slightly wonder with all this talk of Euro scouting all of a sudden that we might be being primed for a few lower Euro league punts puffing out the squad instead of the usual kids from Prem clubs etc.

It takes time to scour round that market and research the players particularly the way TM is alleging they are doing it so if it has an instant return i'd be inclined to think they might have already been lined up.  Not sure that market is tailored to instant English championship players.

 

Edited by tomphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mahoney wins young player of the year for Birmingham, all their fans seemingly desperate for him too stay. Shame he didn’t get more of a chance here, if he had he may not have wanted too leave. If Bournemouth are looking to get rid, I wouldn’t be against him coming back here and showing what he can really do if it was a cheap deal. I’d rather have him on the wing than Armstrong that’s for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Utter hunch (BS), but I feel like we might do a straight swap Smallwood for Vaulks at Rotherham.

Edited by Mike E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Utter hunch (BS), but I feel like we might do a straight swap Smallwood for Vaulks at Rotherham.

If they’d have him back that would be ideal really. Be a good sign of intent at the start of the window. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Swanson said:

Not too many players to recommend from the Norwegian Eliteserie, but these two might be worth a look:

André Hansen, 29 year old GK. Best goalkeeper for years, player of the year last season.

Chidera Ejuke, 21 year old Nigerian winger. Good dribbling skills and quick.

He scored this nice goal earlier in the season:

 

I like the goalkeeper shout. Europa League experience as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JeffRover said:

You can all sh!t on this as a worthless twitter rumour but.......

A Sheff Wednesday fan has tweeted that he was in a bar with the Rotherham United squad and the midfielder Will Vaulks said he was in talks with Rovers. There is no reason for someone like that to spread bull but you never know i suppose. I suppose we will soon find out if that is true and if it materialises or not. Think the real fun and games will start properly in 4 to 5 weeks. Lets hope it's a productive summer.

Iv asked someone at Rotherham. Reckons it’s possible that we could be in for Vaulks. Shef Wed defo are...described as good (not great) technically, great athlete, leader and top lad.

Reckons Mowbray talked more about how much he liked Ajayi after the last game. 6ft 6 CB that lad...👀

Edited by Paul Mani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Butty said:

If they’d have him back that would be ideal really. Be a good sign of intent at the start of the window. 

Apparently don’t want him back. In spite of Smallwood still living in Rotherham. Slowed their forward play too much. Described as ‘the crab’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paul Mani said:

Iv asked someone at Rotherham. Reckons it’s possible that we could be in for Vaulks. 

How long have you known Paul Chuckle? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

How long have you known Paul Chuckle? 

👍🏼

Edited by Paul Mani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stuart said:

Nyambe has been a regular for Mowbray until recently, and you’ve missed out a very talented youngster from your list in Dan Butterworth.

True. I thought about him after I posted but I listed enough to make the point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Got a link? How is your mate anyway, still desperate to sign for the real Rovers?

No linky pal.  Its definitely happened though. Let's see what the outcome is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 47er said:

I don't mind "giving them an opportunity". The problem is that the 'opportunity" lasted the whole season or most of it.

And it came at the expense of younger players who proved they could do better.

in defence? Who? that is what I am referring to and I think where TM is unhappy with. Generally, on the whole, I think we have been good going forward. Shown that we can create and score at this level. Of course there is always room to improve but I think he must have been ok with what we have. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

in defence? Who? that is what I am referring to and I think where TM is unhappy with. Generally, on the whole, I think we have been good going forward. Shown that we can create and score at this level. Of course there is always room to improve but I think he must have been ok with what we have. 

 

 

I don't recall your original post referring specifically to defenders. As I remember you were talking about the team.

We are all unhappy about the defence----the goals against column speaks for itself.

But while TM is "unhappy", it didn't create itself did it? It his defence and he's been here for more than 2 seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JacknOry said:

Reed being linked with a move back to Norwich on a perm.

Gives him a season to improve at that level  before the 20/21 season when we can buy him outright after taking Norwich's place in the Prem :)

Edited by perthblue02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I really wouldn’t be surprised if Grant Hanley makes a return.

I'd be quite pleased with that. For me him and Lenihan would box off the CB issue for the time being.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Neal said:

Dru Yearwood at Southend might be one to look at. Ivan Toney at Peterbrough looks, moves and plays like Wilf Zaha. Watched highlights from their games yesterday and looked unbelievable. 

Funny one, Toney. Was meant to tear up L1 with Wigan last year, and their fans were pretty unanimous in thinking he was dire. Clearly improved dramatically since then, might be one of those who needed to get a run in a team without big expectations to flourish.

Could be a good signing, but wouldn't expect him to be on the cheap given it's Peterborough & he'll have years left on his contract. Would be a bit risky to be on the top of my list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

I really wouldn’t be surprised if Grant Hanley makes a return.

Based on what? I see this as the typical lazy solution "because he used to play for us"

I very much doubt he will come back here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.