Jump to content
JoeH

Lewis Holtby

Recommended Posts

Welcome Lewis. Haven't seen this much excitement for a signing in some time, could he take us on to that next level? I do hope so.

I'd be a bit happier if he was a striker but it would be remiss of me to complain given the amount of these types of signings during Venkys tenure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Spurs supporting mate just sent me this text:

"I thought he was great when he played for us". 

Also said they had a song about him to the tune of "Just can't get enough"

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lewis+holtby+song&&view=detail&mid=DF812A246EAA0D2AEC5FDF812A246EAA0D2AEC5F&rvsmid=73C284CADE046295EF2273C284CADE046295EF22&FORM=VDQVAP

Edited by Uddersfelt Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Holtby hasn’t played any football (not even friendlies) since April last year, a little bit different. Mowbray had no choice but to put Cunningham in straight away, Tosin definitely hasn’t come straight in, Downing and Johnson had a full preseason to bed in, Gallagher was here a couple of years ago. What’s your point?

More importantly what’s yours? 

Out of the signings he’s made this year all of them have featured almost straight away. Tosin being the exception but back in the squad when fit. 

You've literally admitted the mans point is correct but tried to make excuses for why 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

My Spurs supporting mate just sent me this text:

"I thought he was great when he played for us". 

Also said they had a song about him to the tune of "Just can't get enough"

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lewis+holtby+song&&view=detail&mid=DF812A246EAA0D2AEC5FDF812A246EAA0D2AEC5F&rvsmid=73C284CADE046295EF2273C284CADE046295EF22&FORM=VDQVAP

Had a go, based on that:

His name is Lewis Holtby, and he's number 22,

I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough,

He signed for Blackburn Rovers, the mighty white and blues,

I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough,

He scores a goal and the Rovers go wild,

and I just can't seem to get enough of

doo doo doo doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo doo doo doo, LEWIS HOLTBY!

repeat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caused a bit of a shock this signing...fans from other Championship clubs are in disbelief. Really hope he lives up to all this as if he does we have a real player on our books. Tottenham fans and Fulham fans loved him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Welcome Lewis. Haven't seen this much excitement for a signing in some time, could he take us on to that next level? I do hope so.

I'd be a bit happier if he was a striker but it would be remiss of me to complain given the amount of these types of signings during Venkys tenure. 

He did sometimes play upfront early in his career.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him.play the odd game there.

Should be an awesome signing! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic signing on pedigree and paper, fingers crossed he delivers!

Well done TM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would have been gutted if this had fallen through.

Perhaps an u-23s overage player game then into the side? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, philipl said:

Would have been gutted if this had fallen through.

Perhaps an u-23s overage player game then into the side? 

We play spurs at Leyland on Monday Night, hope to see him get a run out then, if he is up to speed then might even make the bench on Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, davulsukur said:

What position is he likely to play?

CM alongside Johnno or Trav? Or wide in the 3 behind the striker?

Whatever we were playing which saw Buckley alongside Dack - that could be interesting. Dack Centre-Right, Holtby Centre-Left.

 

 

 

 

Or Right Back.

Edited by CD_93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It reminds me a bit of when we signed Steve Archibald and Ossie Ardiles, back in the day... Definitely a coup for the Rovers, and on his day definitely a player capable of changing a game (for the better). 

Well done TM and team! 

Ee aye Ee aye here we go,

Up the Football League we go!

When I hear them calling, this is what we sing,

Lewis Holtby, Lewis Holtby, Ewood's new found King!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ruggles1995 said:

be interesting to see what wages hes on.

That was the primary reason he was not kept at Hamburg despite the fans wanting him there. His wages were pretty big and they decided they didnt want to keep paying them. 

You would imagine they are a bit more sensible in Germany with the wages paid over here but are they comparable to what our wage budget provides for as a Championship club? Could also have been a signing on sweetener involved as well to keep his wages down and in line with the rest (though id imagine he would be among the top earners). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The type of player worth paying for. Other players will see him play for us and be more inclined to join. Quality attracts quality. 

Need to offload Smallwood now in January. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rovers1994 said:

Cunningham came straight into the side though? As has Tosin when hes been fit? And Johnson? And Downing? And Gallagher?

Keep your facts to yourself 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So yet another midfield player.

Downing and Johnson are Mowbray  favourites so assume they will be first picks.

But then where do you fit in Holtby, Travis, Nuttall, Buckley and Davenport (when he's available) - and not forgetting Evans and Smallwood ?

If all this leads to Travis and Nuttall getting fewer chances and leaving in January, I'll be miffed.

But Holtby's arrival does make one thing thing more certain:

The manager says Holtby gives him "more options", so expect yet more chopping and changing of the team,  yet more different permutations of the formation, and yet more overthinking of a simple game on the part of Pep Mowbray in the dugout. 

When is he going to decide which is his best team and stick with it every week? 

Edited by jim mk2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jim mk2 said:

So yet another midfield player.

Downing is a Mowbray and Johnson are  favourites so assume they will be first picks.

But then where do you fit in Holtby, Travis, Nuttall, Buckley and Davenport (when he's available) ?

If all this leads to Travis and Nuttall getting fewer chances and leaving in January, I'll be miffed.

But Holtby's arrival does make one thing thing more certain:

The manager says Holtby gives him "more options", so expect yet more chopping and changing of the team,  yet more different permutations of the team formation, and yet more overthinking on the part of Pep Mowbray in the dugout. 

When is he going to decide which is his best team and stick with it every week? 

Nuttall? Hasn’t he been sold?

would feel for the other Lewis, if Travis loses his place due to Lewis signing on today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jim mk2 said:

So yet another midfield player.

Downing and Johnson are Mowbray  favourites so assume they will be first picks.

But then where do you fit in Holtby, Travis, Nuttall, Buckley and Davenport (when he's available) - and not forgetting Evans and Smallwood ?

If all this leads to Travis and Nuttall getting fewer chances and leaving in January, I'll be miffed.

But Holtby's arrival does make one thing thing more certain:

The manager says Holtby gives him "more options", so expect yet more chopping and changing of the team,  yet more different permutations of the formation, and yet more overthinking of a simple game on the part of Pep Mowbray in the dugout. 

When is he going to decide which is his best team and stick with it every week? 

Nuttall ! Isn't he at Blackpool ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.