BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town home

5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Now. He’s spunked £12 million on two non-scoring strikers who, until today, he predominantly plays out wide.

Has anyone ever heard Mowbray being asked to justify these 2 signings? 

Also, please could I ask anyone on here to justify or explain the permanent £5m signing of Gallacher, another striker who hasn't scored goals at any, I repeat, any level. 

• Like 1

Disappointing result after last week's good performance.  Basically sums up where we are at the moment.  A decent Championship team but not really good enough for top six.  Today summed up the beauty of the Championship in that on their day any team is capable of beating any other team in this League.  

I thought we played some decent stuff at times and at other times we were all over the place.  Cunningham has had a couple of difficult afternoons and needs more help at times than Armstrong gives.  I was disappointed in Gallagher again who, despite his energy - and you can't fault him for effort - rarely looks likely to score a goal or create something in and around the box.  At the moment we look better with the Dack, who was poor today, and Graham combination in terms of posing a threat.

Saw the Under-18's lose this morning so it's been a disappointing day.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mowbray was mumbling on about " needing somebody to get to the byeline and pull the ball back for somebody running in " in his interview. No shit Sherlock but Gallager and Samuel won't do that. Chapman might though.

We'd have been better off losing at Reading and winning today, at least the home fans will have gone home happy. I don't dislike Mowbray but being brutally honest he'll never get us promoted if he lives to be a 100. Look at the two teams, look how much we've spent on strikers.  Player for player we are much better.  No disrespect to Luton but they got battered last weekend, they got battered this Wednesday and we turn up like we just expected them to roll over and lie down..

Good post... 

• Like 1

This sort of result was predicted by a few of the older sages who have seen this type of thing happen many many times. It almost mirrored the Charlton game for me when our play was slow and predictable with very little intensify. I honestly point the finger at the players for this. I really believe that the attitude, on the back of two decent results and a game against a poor team, was questionable from the majority of players. Our decision making was poor with far too many wrong choices by many. I was massively disappointed by our passing today with far too many of the wrong weight, balls passed behind players or just giving it away. Armstrong was poor today and I was amazed he didn't get the hook. Gallagher and Lenihan weren't far behind with Walton making the simple things difficult.

I hadn't a clue what our shape was in the last fifteen minutes. Mowbray just seemed to throw players on within a plan or too much thought.

It's back to basics for me on Tuesday with Graham up top and Dack in and around him. Holtby has to start and if he plays Downing and Armstrong at least have them on their correct wings.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Dan said:

Mid-Table Mowbray is our new Grinder Gary. 

He’d be telling us that we gave it a right good go today. 

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. 

I agree entirely.

The only difference is that Bowyer assembled a squad that we all thought should have been in the play offs, but was scuppered by Gary's total lack of confidence and courage. Whereas Tony's ambition is to get to 8th, then take his foot off the pedal to ensure we don't get relegated.

I'm so happy....

Edited by garnersfags

42 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Negative at the ko? We had almost 100% possession just not in their area for 20 mins. If the two CDs miss headers you concede stupid goals like we saw today

That 100% posession resulted in zero efforts on goal. 

We passed and played in front of them.

This will hopefully improve when Holtby replaces Johnson, who obv needs his season to be kick started every 8 games by being left out. Or sold (ok, I know that is being extreme to make a point, but the point stands).

It is almost impossible for a striker to score playing the way we did in the 1st half. 

We didn't, in fact, have a goalscoring striker on the pitch until the 70th min. 

£13m anyone.....?

Just now, garnersfags said:

That 100% posession resulted in zero efforts on goal. 

We passed and played in front of them.

This will hopefully improve when Holtby replaces Johnson, who obv needs his season to be kick started every 8 games by being left out. Or sold (ok, I know that is being extreme to make a point, but the point stands).

It is almost impossible for a striker to score playing the way we did in the 1st half. 

We didn't, in fact, have a goalscoring striker on the pitch until the 70th min. 

£13m anyone.....?

I don't rate Johnson at all , not seen an away game this season , it might offer more away in protecting the defence ...

To one footed , slow and very ponderous ...

Just now, gumboots said:

That last bit amazed my husband more than anything. Downing on the wrong wing

They all do it. Somebody once saw Arjen Robben come in off the right wing and bend one into the far corner with his left foot. After that they were all expecting Tom Dick and Harry who were playing at a much lower level to be able to it on a regular basis.

I played full back and I'd show my winger inside all day long. " Go on son, get inside and run into heavy traffic, you'll do for me ". The wingers you really feared were the ones who were always trying to get on your outside and get everybody turned around and running back towards their own goal. Then you have a real problem. Mowbray was saying as much in his interview tonight.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

I think Downing's only really effective performances have been his fleeting moments on the left of midfield, such as the 2nd half against Charlton. 

Unfortunately, his job is to create and score goals, not to protect the back 4, that's Travis & Johnson's job.

If he plays on the left, we will create more real chances. 

Square pegs, round holes. 

I'm sad.

An immensely disappointing afternoon. After the Reading win last week even I (Mr Negative) spent this week looking forward to this game with some optimism that we could get a 3rd straight win and move into or close to those top 6 slots and build some proper momentum. I should have known better as the entirely predictable come down arrived as soon as confidence and optimism was building. 

Now lost almost half our games in the League this season so forget going anywhere good any time soon with those sort of stats.

Like with the Charlton game picked off by a limited side who just kept it tight, did the basics of game management and took advantage at the key times whilst our monotonous, boring, aimless passing around in circles with next to no penetration and no Plan B meant we go nowhere despite bucket loads of possession. 

2 attempts on target, at home, is appalling. No ifs, buts, maybes. Shocking. Needs sorting urgently.

Expect to see the usual 'this is the Championship, everyone can beat anyone, 'typical' Rovers - as though some mystical power beyond our control is responsible and the manager/players aren't responsible. No - we've lost that game because WE haven't been good enough and it requires analysis and work to address it. I sincerely hope the manager isn't telling the players 'eh well don't worry lads it's a tough league this, Rovers always do this'. 

Another shame as like Charlton there were a few more fans on including the 'Next Generation' who once again will be going home after a dreadful defeat. Some actual chance creation and goals would be nice. 

The conclusion to draw is that we're set for another season of floating around in mid-table at best. No chance of the play-offs and unlikely to go down. Is that good enough for a club losing £15 million a year and spending £15 million on strikers who don't score?

Travis man of the match by a mile. Excellent stuff from him.

Referee a disgrace. I can't say much more than that as it will only make me angry. His decision to award a yellow card for timewasting in the 4th minute of added time was the icing on the cake of what was a shameful performance. Awarded late enough for him to tick a box for 'dealing' with time wasting but also ensuring he wouldn't have to do any more than that. His laughable arm waving to get the game going again - is it any wonder there's so little respect for officials if that is their approach to timewasting? I've not seen the disallowed goal yet so can't comment.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

Two types of midfield players cause defenders problems - the Damien Duff/Scott Sellars type that can get around teams and up the side and the David Dunn/Eyal Berkovic type who can carry the ball from the half way line and draw defenders out. If we have any players who can do this we need to play them.

Definitely Rothwell and possibly Holtby.

• Like 1

They all do it. Somebody once saw Arjen Robben come in off the right wing and bend one into the far corner with his left foot. After that they were all expecting Tom Dick and Harry who were playing at a much lower level to be able to it on a regular basis.

I played full back and I'd show my winger inside all day long. " Go on son, get inside and run into heavy traffic, you'll do for me ". The wingers you really feared were the ones who were always trying to get on your outside and get everybody turned around and running back towards their own goal. Then you have a real problem. Mowbray was saying as much in his interview tonight.

I will read/listen to that interview. It goes against how Mowbray sets up his teams and the personnel he uses.

I do wonder if he listens back to what he says in his interviews. Full of contradictions.

• Like 1

Disappoint result. 

We started the game in attacking passing mode and we control the game until they scored. Confidence went and we look short of ideas for 15 mins until Travis strike. great strike. Our best player today. Then our confidence cam back we took control again. Second half I thought that Rovers would win comfortable but Luton scored again and we look poor for the rest of the game. 

Didn't understand why Samuel came on to play on the right. He should have come on Dack for me. Who was poor just like Armstrong, Gallagher and Graham. Johnson and Downing ok. Bennett should have done better 1st goal but had a decent game. 

We tend to struggle against Team who sit back against us. we need to be better with the ball. 

I don't get the anger about the formation when we played 4-2-3-1 formation all game or with Downing on the right. 

Early days,I know but clearly Mowbray shouldnt be allowed to spend any more money on strikers.

On the positive side,I dont expect us to get relegated.

This tedious possession-style football probably works best away from home.

Mowbrays refusal to play his strongest team(which MUST include Graham) means he isnt getting the best from the squad available.

At least we can now play a strong team in the FACup as there is  probably no chance of promotion!

Edited by harryhealless1928

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mowbray was mumbling on about " needing somebody to get to the byeline and pull the ball back for somebody running in " in his interview. No shit Sherlock but Gallager and Samuel won't do that. Chapman might though.

So he’s saying we need wingers, but refused to buy or play wingers?

• Like 5

Just now, harryhealless1928 said:

Early days,I know but clearly Mowbray shouldnt be allowed to spend any more money on strikers.

On the positive side,I dont expect us to get relegated.

This tedious possession-style football probably works best away from home.

Mowbrays refusal to play his strongest team(which MUST include Graham) means he isnt getting the best from the squad available.

At least we can now play a strong team in the FACup as there is  probably no chance of promotion!

Annoys me too. Everyone in the ground knows Graham is our best but he wont start him. Is this because TM thinks he's almost a spent penny and he wants to prove his £5m summer signing is the way forward. Recall Graham requesting to play in the U23s the other week so he must be getting frustrated at lack pf play time.