BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Doesn't take much for you to be fuming does it? 

It's worked for Chris Wilder at Sheffield United with Dean Henderson didnt it? Could be number 1 at Man Utd in the coming season. Not bad for a keeper who was on loan at Shrewsbury 3 years ago and Rovers fans was winding up..

That is with Woodman the success story, but there have been a hell of a lot of stories where it has not worked out.

We have already tried this before, and it didnt work in Walton. We replaced a talented young goalkeeper, blew the money on a poor striker, and loaned in an inferior but equally young goalkeeper. How is that positive? One of the goalkeepers weve been linked with, Forest got and instantly realised that he wasnt up to it, and signed a better goalkeeper.

But oh yeah, he saved a penalty for Kosovo in a game he conceded 5 in! Lets get him in.

Hopefully these links are just agent talk and we are after a more experienced goalkeeper.

So to clarify, your preference would be to loan in another kid in net, that is genuinely your preference and not just because you have heard that it is what we will do?

And you dont see a downside of loaning in a kid, baring in mind that goalkeepers may make more mistakes at a younger age, knowing that if the loan doesnt work out, we really are in the mire with little alternative, as we saw with Walton? 

Just now, bluebruce said:

Can we please stop arguing over who is the most/real ITK? Got to be honest, it's a little sad.

There is no argument, it’s Nicko.

More scoops than an ice cream van at a Bank Holiday car boot sale.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Said it before but I would be fuming at bringing in another kid on loan.

There is absolutely no scope for what has unfolded to be defended. We had a young and talented goalkeeper who we sold for cheap, ie 2/3 of a poor striker, all thinking that we were going to sign a more experienced goalkeeper for the here and now.

We then got another kid on loan who was a disaster and made so many mistakes. If we are now entering a cycle of loaning kids to be our number 1 then I am dead against that idea.

It is so risky, if the goalkeeper isnt ready, then theres little scope for swapping him unless as Reading and Forest did, the latter with Muric, you realise before the window shuts and get someone else in. Goalkeeper is the riskiest place to have a kid but if you do, at least have it as your own young goalkeeper, not someone elses.

Obviously scope for them to prove me wrong, and at Championship level, be more of a Woodman than a Muric/Grabara/Walton/Virginia etc. But Mowbray has handled this horribly if there is any truth to it all.

Everyone, including Mowbray, knows that permanent deals are better than loans, especially in key positions where the players are likely to be needed to play for 90 minutes across 46 games.

Mowbray has publicly admitted several times he would rather not loan these people. He also keeps droning on about building something.

It is almost funny therefore to see the Telegraph listing the longest serving Championship managers, of which Mowbray is one, having been in the job now for 3.5 years, a long time by modern day standards, yet he is still going on about building something just like he was 2 years ago. 

Then to be sat here with the new season a month away with no goalkeeper and one CB. No other club has such a farcical situation.

Mowbray has had time, money and complete control of transfer policy yet has delivered a dangerous situation whereby we are still completely ill equipped to even put a remotely competent defence out.

I know what is coming next. Names will do the rounds and they will tease us by making us think some decent options are being lined up and then nothing will happen until a couple of last minute loans. Derrick Williams will be 'like a new signing' and Mowbray will use the pre season schedule to 'have a look' at some of the younger lads before deciding not to bother. He shouldn't need friendlies to have a look at them as he has already done this in the past and could watch their loan games last season.

Ultimately either he is responsible for a botched recruitment policy or the owners won't allow signings in those important positions. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's worked for Chris Wilder at Sheffield United with Dean Henderson didnt it? Could be number 1 at Man Utd in the coming season. Not bad for a keeper who was on loan at Shrewsbury 3 years ago and Rovers fans was winding up..

Mowbray is no Chris Wilder though

Just now, JHRover said:

Everyone, including Mowbray, knows that permanent deals are better than loans, especially in key positions where the players are likely to be needed to play for 90 minutes across 46 games.

Mowbray has publicly admitted several times he would rather not loan these people. He also keeps droning on about building something.

It is almost funny therefore to see the Telegraph listing the longest serving Championship managers, of which Mowbray is one, having been in the job now for 3.5 years, a long time by modern day standards, yet he is still going on about building something just like he was 2 years ago. 

Then to be sat here with the new season a month away with no goalkeeper and one CB. No other club has such a farcical situation.

Mowbray has had time, money and complete control of transfer policy yet has delivered a dangerous situation whereby we are still completely ill equipped to even put a remotely competent defence out.

I know what is coming next. Names will do the rounds and they will tease us by making us think some decent options are being lined up and then nothing will happen until a couple of last minute loans. Derrick Williams will be 'like a new signing' and Mowbray will use the pre season schedule to 'have a look' at some of the younger lads before deciding not to bother. He shouldn't need friendlies to have a look at them as he has already done this in the past and could watch their loan games last season.

Ultimately either he is responsible for a botched recruitment policy or the owners won't allow signings in those important positions. 

Great post.

Obviously we are dealing in ifs and buts, we may sign a permanent and/or more experienced goalkeeper, if so, great.

I cannot get my head around any defence of what has gone on. If you are selling a young and talented goalkeeper for cheap:

- Dont put the money towards a very average striker that you will misuse anyway

- Ensure that you bring in a more experienced goalkeeper AND/OR

- Bring in a talented goalkeeper of your liking that you can develop

How people can endorse starting a chain of loan goalkeepers, when each individual is a huge risk due to the position both due to a likely lack of alternative if it doesnt work out, and the number of goals a dodgy keeper will directly cost you, it is beyond me.

Whilst I am not totally ruling out the conspiracies regarding Venkys allowing spending on goalkeepers and defenders. For me it seems a little farfetched and indeed would require a level of interest in the club more than what I think they have!

I think it absolves Mowbray of responsibility when looking at his previous clubs, he always struggled defensively. His West Brom team played pretty football but his undoing there was that they were also flimsy. At Coventry he walked rueing the failure to bring in a "man" at centre back amidst a young and inexperienced teams. At Celtic, he once ended up with 6 strikers on the pitch, drawing mockery. He has done some very good things for this football club but as with everywhere else, I think the same mistakes he has made previously that he hasnt learnt from will be his undoing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I agree ?...I was massively deflated with the young PL loan focus too.

Apparently Iversen is very good. If it’s a young lad I hope it’s him

Doesnt make any sense if it is true.

I am not rubbishing the idea of loans full stop, a couple can help you on your way. Goalkeeping ones are a massive risk though.

It is impossible to feel anything but deflated at what has happened, selling Raya I could live with. Putting the money towards Gallagher and entering a risky chain of loaning kids in goal, I can not understand at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Is having inside info, even if it is not even shareable, a massive point to boast about in your life? :lol: 

As others pointed out with you waiting and seeing on Downing, you wait to see what Mowbray has done before agreeing with whatever that is.

I don't need boast at all roversfan99. 

I'm not over bothered whether we sign Downing for another season or not. I rather we sign Josh Cullen from West Ham. Him and Travis would be great partnership. I suspect Downing wont be resigning here. Similar to the Rodwell situation

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Proper information and all true.  Although I expect Ben to avoid this car crash of a club.

Well hope Ben enjoys league 1 for another season. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

That is with Woodman the success story, but there have been a hell of a lot of stories where it has not worked out.

But oh yeah, he saved a penalty for Kosovo in a game he conceded 5 in! Lets get him in.

Hopefully these links are just agent talk and we are after a more experienced goalkeeper.

So to clarify, your preference would be to loan in another kid in net, that is genuinely your preference and not just because you have heard that it is what we will do?

And you dont see a downside of loaning in a kid, baring in mind that goalkeepers may make more mistakes at a younger age, knowing that if the loan doesnt work out, we really are in the mire with little alternative, as we saw with Walton? 

Plenty of young keepers go on loan and play regular 1st team football. Some do well and some have bad spells. Other keepers are quite happy sitting on the bench or number 3 choice not playing and training more interested in collecting a wage instead of playing football. 

You have picked a couple of poor moments on Muric and gone over the top on them as you always do!

Agent talk? why would it be agent talk. We are mid table championship team. 

Like I said last week to you, and will repeat again I was the best possible keeper we can get with our budget as well other positions like Centre back and left back. We have spoken to Charlton about Philips as Nixon has confirmed but his current price is more than a million pounds. Speaking to Charlton fan on twitter he reckon the price will be around 2 million pounds. 

There is downside and upside to every signing that any club makes.  

• Moderation Lead

Afternoon everyone. Just had to tidy up a few petty squabbles in this thread. Can we tone it down and be a bit more civil please? If anyone wants to know how to ignore any posters that clearly get their back up, slide into my DMs and I’ll talk you through the process.

Failing that, it’s a cracking day and whilst I never want to dissuade people from posting on here, get out in the sun, have a walk, visit a beer garden, or pick your mate up from the airport later like I have to....

• Like 6

I don't need boast at all roversfan99. 

I'm not over bothered whether we sign Downing for another season or not. I rather we sign Josh Cullen from West Ham. Him and Travis would be great partnership. I suspect Downing wont be resigning here. Similar to the Rodwell situation

Well hope Ben enjoys league 1 for another season. 

Plenty of young keepers go on loan and play regular 1st team football. Some do well and some have bad spells. Other keepers are quite happy sitting on the bench or number 3 choice not playing and training more interested in collecting a wage instead of playing football. 

You have picked a couple of poor moments on Muric and gone over the top on them as you always do!

Agent talk? why would it be agent talk. We are mid table championship team. 

Like I said last week to you, and will repeat again I was the best possible keeper we can get with our budget as well other positions like Centre back and left back. We have spoken to Charlton about Philips as Nixon has confirmed but his current price is more than a million pounds. Speaking to Charlton fan on twitter he reckon the price will be around 2 million pounds. 

There is downside and upside to every signing that any club makes.  

Where are Muric's good moments?

I am not rubbishing the idea of loans full stop, a couple can help you on your way. Goalkeeping ones are a massive risk though.

It is impossible to feel anything but deflated at what has happened, selling Raya I could live with. Putting the money towards Gallagher and entering a risky chain of loaning kids in goal, I can not understand at all.

I agree. We are just plugging gaps by signing loan players as first team regulars. Mowbray once again is talking about building but it simply cannot be done with loans.

• Like 3

I've defended most of Mowbray's decisions over the last few years, but can't argue with this. I was broadly fine with selling Raya (couple of million quid too cheaply, but fine) and loaning a player with Walton's CV for 12 months wasn't ridiculous either. Surely now we must be looking at getting a player settled in that position, especially when there are good options from 2 of the teams relegated to L1.

If Iversen comes in & is brilliant then I'll eat my words, but even if it comes off it's a high risk call for such an important decision. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jlee1984 said:

Got a few right this week, Let's see if he's worth following or blocking

I'm afraid that he has all the hallmarks of a total chancer. For all the stick he (justifiably) gets on here, information from Nixon is like Reuters compared to most transfer rumour accounts on twitter.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mercer said:

How depressing this all is.

What a sad state of affairs our club now is.

IMO, if this is slow build and evolution then God help us.

Think Mowbray has really stuffed us with his player trading mismanagement for three and a half years. 

Hope the last person out the building remembers to turn off the lights.

A lovely Sunday afternoon river walk beckons followed by a pint or two and some decent grub.

Tolkien trail Merce? See you at The Shireburn later

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'm afraid that he has all the hallmarks of a total chancer. For all the stick he (justifiably) gets on here, information from Nixon is like Reuters compared to most transfer rumour accounts on twitter.

Couldn't have been more wrong about Jon Mclaughlin

• Like 1

Have a look online and research the player. 

But here a very simple question, is he wasn't any good why would he at Man City and his country number at such a young age? 

There is nothing to research chaddy, thats the whole point. His career resume is 4 Championship games, 6 League cup games and one game in the Dutch League game.Plus 10 internationals.

And this is my point! Loaning in a kid who has barely played any senior football is a massive and unnecessary gamble.

Is being Kosovo number 1 now a badge of honour? Hardly a goalkeeping fountain of quality. Plus he is theres forever, so at least if he does get good they will get to see the benefits.

• Like 2