Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mike E

Footballisms

Recommended Posts

People in and around football say things all the time. Some insightful, some nonsense, some downright funny.

What are your favourites?

I'll start with a classic from Cloughie:

'I wouldn't say I'm the best manager, but I'd say I'm in the top one.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ron atkinson

get to him early doors and give him the reducer

translated as foul the oppositions best player badly,as quick as possible,not applicable in todays contact free game btw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

ron atkinson

get to him early doors and give him the reducer

translated as foul the oppositions best player badly,as quick as possible,not applicable in todays contact free game btw

We used to call it " A quietener ".  IE it kept them quiet after that.

Bill Shankly talking about a forward who was a bit lacking in fighting spirit. - " He's got a heart as big as a Carraway seed ".

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's surely only one isn't there? 

"Bouncebackability."

Wonderful. Take a bow Iain Dowie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Cloughieism. If I have a disagreement with someone, we sit down and discuss it, then decide I was right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My manager used to scream at me to 'get up his arse'. I took him at his word and duly obliged. I wasn't picked again. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clough on Trevor Brooking. He floats like a butterfly and stings like one.

Clough on Franz Carr. He runs like Linford Christie and crosses like him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno who it was, and I'm paraphrasing, but a commentator once said along the lines of, "For those of you watching in black and white, Spurs are the ones playing in yellow."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Footballers use of tenses in reported speech...in a way that nobody in real life ever would....

”Well, he’s got the ball on the byline and he’s cut inside and whipped in one to the near post and we’re in front but the penalty changes everything and the ref...he’s seen it as a push and I don’t know where he gets that from but at the end of the day thems the breaks you have to deal with....Clive...”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

"If that had gone in, it would have been a goal." - David Coleman

"I couldn't settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country."
Ian Rush on his spell at Juventus (later claimed that Dalglish made it up!!)

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn squid.

Also, my pet peeve, turgid - often used to a denote a rubbish game of football, when it means swollen/bloated or a bombastic style of writing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

Footballers use of tenses in reported speech...in a way that nobody in real life ever would....

”Well, he’s got the ball on the byline and he’s cut inside and whipped in one to the near post and we’re in front but the penalty changes everything and the ref...he’s seen it as a push and I don’t know where he gets that from but at the end of the day thems the breaks you have to deal with....Clive...”

That sounds like Kevin Keegan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

commentators often use the term 'greasy surface' when it's really just wet grass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

My manager used to scream at me to 'get up his arse'. I took him at his word and duly obliged. I wasn't picked again. 

Memories of Andy Todd...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

Memories of Andy Todd...

 

Loved him when he played for us, what he lacked in ability he more than made up for in attitude. Could do with a couple of proper old school types like him these days, might bring some passion and determination back into the dressing room if nowt else.

I know football has changed in general but we used to have some absolute units on our team - Todd, Short, Neill, Savage, Dickov, Bellamy - we had some proper balls on us in them days... We have maybe on Bradley Johnson and a couple more these days cut from that cloth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Amo said:

Damn squid.

Also, my pet peeve, turgid - often used to a denote a rubbish game of football, when it means swollen/bloated or a bombastic style of writing.

Infamous at this point!

I’m guessing people thinks it means ‘languid’. It sounds like it should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Amo said:

Damn squid.

Also, my pet peeve, turgid - often used to a denote a rubbish game of football, when it means swollen/bloated or a bombastic style of writing.

Do they not mean , a damp squib. A firework that doesn’t go off ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Infamous at this point!

I’m guessing people thinks it means ‘languid’. It sounds like it should.

It's one of those words that sounds like it should mean something different.
Bit like people thinking "nonplussed" means unimpressed when it means surprised/confused.

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

Do they not mean , a damp squib. A firework that doesn’t go off ?

Indeed. I meant to type damp squid, of course :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shankly, Docherty, Cloughie, Big Ron etc were all absolutely brilliant, but Gordon Strachan has come up with some belters too. 
 

When Celtic signed Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink  Strachan said “I promised you a big name signing and here he is”.

And there was the famous retort to the Sky Sports reporter after a game when he answered “Quick word, Gordon?” with “velocity!”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Shankly, Docherty, Cloughie, Big Ron etc were all absolutely brilliant, but Gordon Strachan has come up with some belters too. 
 

When Celtic signed Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink  Strachan said “I promised you a big name signing and here he is”.

And there was the famous retort to the Sky Sports reporter after a game when he answered “Quick word, Gordon?” with “velocity!”

Strachan was a real sharp wit as you say Andy. I was fourth official at Birmingham when he was at Southampton and he kept referring to the referee as 'jellyfish'. I was bemused by this and at the end of the game I asked him why and without breaking stride he said "because he has no f***ing backbone"

That made me laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one from Phil Brown - 

If you closed your eyes, you couldn’t tell the difference between the two sides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lower league Scottish manager (Jim Lambie I think) had a reputation for quick wit. One of his players had gone down with a head injury and was brought off for treatment near the technical area. The manager asked the physio how he was and was told he didn't really know who he was. Quick as a flash he shouted "tell him he's Pele then and throw him back on".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Strachan was a real sharp wit as you say Andy. I was fourth official at Birmingham when he was at Southampton and he kept referring to the referee as 'jellyfish'. I was bemused by this and at the end of the game I asked him why and without breaking stride he said "because he has no f***ing backbone"

That made me laugh.

One of my favourite Strachan moments:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.