SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pride of Lancashire 2 Who are ya 1

clitheroe_claret

I'm getting a bit tired of it all now.

As Hughesey says:

We played crap and still won
which says it all really.

Difference is, we are admitting that our team didn't play well.

Last night I felt quite sorry for the Burnley players but the feeling has evaporated now.

No more to be said.

Bring on Leicester rover.gif

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the day after the night before.

I considered coming on here last night and gloating the hell out of our visitors but the excitement got the better of me tinykit.gif

Bumley turned up with 3/4 of their home crowd in tow, thing is they didnt really make any noise which IMO let their team down. Maybe that I didnt hear anything due to the party in the Blackburn End Lower.

our neighbours began brightly and I was somewhat surprised by Rovers lack of enthusiasm in the first 20 minutes or so. Then we got lucky with Tugays deflection. Enter Hyde, a player who has failed to reach the standards that he could have (remember him scoring twice from perfect shots v Watford at Ewood a few years ago when they beat us 4-3?), he manages to score a goal totally out of nothing and quite clearly should have been closed down.

So 1-1 at half time and game on.

despite Rovers pressure and bumleys reluctance to attack there was to be no break through. A couple of substitutions, one I have not got the foggiest about made little difference until the speedster arrived.

A quick break and BANG 2-1 MGP breaks the keepers fingers, the netting and the tiny hearts of the away supporters (Longsider see how kind I was then).

So we have a 2-1 victory and a q'final tie at home to Leicester, a team that Rovers have had 1 or 2 battles with in recent years.

A few pointers about last night.

Thought the Rovers fans showed their true pride in the team last night, lets have more please.

the Riverside. I stood in the BBEnd in amazement at seeing the side swelled to its limit, a chant or 3, and to see them remain in the ground until the final whistle made my night.

Bothroyd ? mad.gif the worst player ever to wear the shirt in my 35 and a half years at Ewood. A shocking display, a shocking signing and why oh why did he replace Gally ? Where was Stead ? Where was JJ ? Where was Jansen ? I would have anyone else in my team before that big lummox of a joke of a striker. Even Jimmy Quinn or Andy Kennedy would have done much better even playing today. Sack him off now and save the money. Forget Grabbi, Bothroyd is simply the worst ever Souness signing.

Tugay/Savage. A good partnership but on too many occasions Tugay left the middle wide open and more than on one occasion committed himslef leaving the defence to pick up the bits and pieces.

Nice to see Flitty back, could now see him in the starting 11 on Sunday.

The defence played well, even without Todd. Niell needs to have a look at himself again and get back the form AsAP.

Emerton. Why oh why would he not take the ball with him and take on the left back, even more so why didnt he bring his shooting boots ? He is so infuriating.

Anyhow its back to reality and the bread and butter stuff.

Nice to see Ozz and Den in the Waters edge, both looking fit as fiddles smile.gif

Now then, wheres my map that shows the route to Cardiff blink.gif

Edited by 1864roverite

Great win last night.

Burnley came and tried to frustrate us and did that for most of the second half.

It wasn't the best game of football but it was about who kept going and driving on. We did have a bit of luck in Tugay's shot being deflected, perhaps Hyde didn't mean his goal as a shot.

Great play by MGP prior to scoring his goal and what a great strike.

The difference in both teams is a lot closer than it was in 2001, we have lost several influential players and got worse, Burnley have a more solid look about them.

Cahill impressed me for them and thought he marked Dickov well throughout the game.

As for the noise from both ends? Burnley did make some noise, perhaps not as loud as other clubs who have brought 7K, but according to a mate in the JW Stand both ends had spells where they were loud.

But with the amount of chances Burnley had they can't expect not to win unless they don't create chances, the game would have been a lot more open if they had been more attacking, I think they were looking for Extra Time or even penalites.

Main thing is we won, local pride is still at Blackburn, end of.

It just shows how the accoustics can sound differently. Sat in the Blackburn End for the first half and I seriously couldn't hear anything from the Darwen End until they scored. I couldn't beleive they were so quiet. Yet all the Clarets at work (and on the t'inter) think we supplied no atmosphere. huh.gif

Strange !!

Back to the game and the statistics confirmed what I thought. Burnley defended well but didn't play well. They were just relying on our punchless strikeforce not being able to score. Unfortunately, and as Liverpool found to their cost last Sunday, if you allow teams loads of possession - even when it's outside the box - and don't relieve that pressure eventually something will fall for the other team. This happened twice last night.

I have to say that although I was beginning to get concerned about penalties I didn't really think we'd ever get beat last night. Cardiff looked a far better attacking side. Before the tie I was a bit concerned with about how good we actually were and how good Burnley were. Now I've seen both games I know that the worry was unfounded.

rover.gif i sat in the jack walker upper and the amount off teenagers and youngsters sat around,gave me hope that we do have a future as lancashire no1 club,the jack walker upper singing was quite fantastic,unheard off but fantastic.

the game was a non event for me,we seemed to have partied in dubia and were not at the races.but the result was the most important thing last night and we got it.

was not very happy with certian player's but i think most poster's know the culprits,roll on the close season and off with the deadwood. tinykit.gif

rover.gif i sat in the jack walker upper and the amount off teenagers and youngsters sat around,gave me hope that we do have a future as lancashire no1 club,the jack walker upper singing was quite fantastic,unheard off but fantastic.

someone was bound to hear me eventually biggrin.gif

....still proud of the Riverside last night! cool.gif

i may well consider going in there for the Leicester game.

tinykit.gif

We discussed the same last night. Got potential to be a good area to sit (or stand in last nights case) in the section towards the Darwen End.

When Burnley last beat Rovers I was a single lad. Now married, we recently celebrated our Silver Wedding and have two kids, one almost 21 and the other 15 in a few weeks.

Burnley fans, read and weep. It was that long ago - 14 April 1979.

The 70s - a decade of :-

Watneys Pale Ale

Bus Conductors

Slade

Northern Soul

Punk Rock

Discos, not night clubs

Mobile Phones unheard of

Black & White TVs here and there

Starsky & Hutch

Steptoe & Son

Black & White Minstrel Show

Berlin Wall

Intact Soviet Union

Flares - 1st time round

Jimmy Carter

Pre Margaret Thatcher

Idi Amin

Pre Falklands

Need I go on?

LONG MAY YOUR INFERIORITY CONTINUE!!!!!!

BEATEN AGAIN BY THE ROVERS

BLACKBURN ROVERS FC - PRIDE OF EAST LANCASHIRE

tinykit.giftinykit.giftinykit.giftinykit.giftinykit.gif

14 April 1979:

President Lulu is sworn into office in Uganda replacing Idi Amin

UN Resolution 450 is passed telling the Israelis to get out of Lebanon

Number 1 in Britain: Art Garfunkel Bright Eyes

Number 1 in Canada: Gloria Gaynor I believe

Number 1 in the USA: Doobie Brothers What fool believes? (rather appropriate)

Roxy Music were headlining in the States and Rod Stewart's Do Ya Think I'm Sexy was climbing the charts.

Jim Callaghan was still Prime Minister but the election was imminent.

Seems just like yesterday..... ph34r.gif

Deaths in 1979 included:

Conrad Hilton (hotels and Paris' great grandpa)

Nelson Rockefeller (former American Veep and inherited a bob or two)

Joseph Mengelle (yes, that Joseph Mengelle)

Jean Renoir (film great)

Robertson Hare (All Gas and Gaters)

Richard Beckinsale (Godber and Kate's dad)

Mary Pickford (black and white films actress)

John Wayne

Sid Vicious

Louis Mountbatten (blown up by the IRA)

Gracie Fields (our Gracie)

Joyce Grenfell (St Trinian's)

Richard Rodgers (and Hammerstein)

Burnley bragging rights over Rovers.

Edited by philipl

The guy from the Burnley Express had it right after the first game...

"Last time it really was like a 'Ferrari versus a mini'. This time round it was like two Ford Mondeos"

Micah Hyde is a Rolls Royce though. Be grateful you've seen a goal of that quality down at Ewood.

Strange........seem to recall seeing quite a few through the years...that's the danger of Top Flight football..where do we start...

Shearer v. QPR (hit the ball so hard the TV camera couldn't keep up with his shot from just outside centre circle....but still made it to MOTD opening footage)

Shearer's volley form behind on the run v. SOTON.

Le Tissier's award winning 'Goal of the Season' for SOTON

Paul Warhurst v. Man Utd.

Not forgetting Mr. Short's against Bumley last time round. tongue.gif

Must stop there as I'm sure others could add to this & doubtless this type of thread has been done to bits before....but if anyone would like to add to it the nostalgia won't do anyone any harm? smile.gif

But in summary....it was a good goal but we're more accustomed to seeing the odd good goal here and there, than our friends from down the road. tinykit.gif

....still proud of the Riverside last night!  cool.gif

tinykit.gif

We discussed the same last night. Got potential to be a good area to sit (or stand in last nights case) in the section towards the Darwen End.

i was sat there, right next to the Darwin end, and except from the fifteen minutes at the beginning of the second half when the whole ground went quiet, i was on my feet singing from start to finish- quality atmosphere.

Something tells me it will be a bit different against leicester though sad.gif

Nice to see Ozz and Den in the Waters edge, both looking fit as fiddles smile.gif

Your too kind 1864.

I think you must of missed the foot-long cumberland sausages-£1.50!

Sat in the BBE side of the Jack Walker stand, I thought Burnley made a decent noise TBH. A little difficult to hear the BBE sing though, acoustics I guess.

Crap game (again), still can`t beleive Peddos shot didn`t take the netting off!

Most amazing part of the night-walking up LBR while hundreds of Rovers fans singing all the home! Locals looking out of the windows scratching their heads in bemusement-"They`re not normally like this!"

See you whenever, Longsiders in all their forms!!

....still proud of the Riverside last night!  cool.gif

tinykit.gif

i was sat there, right next to the Darwin end, and except from the fifteen minutes at the beginning of the second half when the whole ground went quiet, i was on my feet singing from start to finish- quality atmosphere.

Something tells me it will be a bit different against leicester though sad.gif

Was like an away match in there last night.

You're probably right though, against Leicester it'll probably be crap. If away teams were given the Riverside portion of the Darwen end every game then It'd be a good place for banter though.

Full marks to the stewards again though, anyone wishing to stand was ushered to our section to sing their hearts out for the lads.

Rovers would still beat Burnley nine times out of ten.

I think thats a fair quote Jim - the other game being a draw!

It is, but at the rate we have been going it will take about 100 years for us to actually play 10 games.

LS1882, those who say Burnley matched, or even more than matched in some cases, are on a par or slightly below the folks who think so highly of Savage in terms of Football knowledge don't you think.

i know you all like to pretend you wish burnley would disappear to the lancashire pie & peas league division nine but deep down you must realise that it's not just another game. look at the discussion, the excitement, even the atmosphere it created. are you seriously telling me it'd be like that against a team you didn't have respect for? against middlesboro or norwich? never in a million years.

obviously as a claret i'd love the chance to play you every season because we'd most probably be in the premier league but can you honestly say you wouldn't look forward to the last two game's between the clubs season in, season out. it's a proper rivalry. 99% of all the rest of the clubs in Britain would love a rivalry like this.

Thought the Burnley support was poor considering it was their cup final and all. I got the same impression the last time they visited....looked like rabbits caught in the headlights....dumbstruck by their opulent surroundings. This is perhaps why nobody else seems to have picked up on one of their barely audible offerings..... a song rejoicing in the demise of Uncle Jack sung to the offensive Munich tune. Did anybody else here it or am I imagining things?

i know you all like to pretend you wish burnley would disappear to the lancashire pie & peas league division nine but deep down you must realise that it's not just another game. look at the discussion, the excitement, even the atmosphere it created. are you seriously telling me it'd be like that against a team you didn't have respect for? against middlesboro or norwich? never in a million years.

obviously as a claret i'd love the chance to play you every season because we'd most probably be in the premier league but can you honestly say you wouldn't look forward to the last two game's between the clubs season in, season out. it's a proper rivalry. 99% of all the rest of the clubs in Britain would love a rivalry like this.

Pretty much agree with all of this. It certainly mattered to me and whilst the games were not up to much, the excitement they both generated was great for both clubs.

it's your ground. from the top tier of whatever stand we were in the whole ground sounded dead, yet the burnley end was bouncing. I spoke to a mate in the home end and it was really loud. That's how it is. When different groups are both making noise, it's rare you hear the other one.