BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preseasons - UK Ones

I have a feeling that those cranking up the hype about Gresko will be in for a nasty surprise. Imo, the guy is not up to it defensively and will be found out this season and won't be able to blame Danny Mills.

335847[/snapback]

inter dont pay 8 million for a crap left back. Gresko proved his worth when he was first on loan, of course you cant see that from your armchair.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gresko can play at this level, thats why he played for inter and parma and thats why Blackburn (a premiership club) spent money on him. Were not stupid. The season ebfore last im certain it was a mental thing with some of his errors. He is a good player lets just see if he can settle in the team and do well next season.

The season ebfore last im certain it was a mental thing with some of his errors.

335859[/snapback]

Plus the fact that the team was generally poor defensively, unbalanced, and very exposed on the left hand side. His performances when he joined on loan were very good, and the majority of us who actually watch from beyond our living room chairs were delighted when he was signed up permanently.

But if rover6 thinks he isn't good enough then perhaps we shouldn't bother giving him another chance and just sell him. Perhaps he could follow Ceiran Donnelly to Blackpool.

Edited by mjs

inter dont pay 8 million for a crap left back. Gresko proved his worth when he was first on loan, of course you cant see that from  your armchair.

335858[/snapback]

How long did he last at Inter? Why didn't he get a look in at Parma? He was younger then and maybe he has improved since and I will be pleased if he does prove himself, but I'm just saying that I have my doubts about his defensive strength.

And the Italian clubs have never splashed big money on duds. I mean, AC Milan never bought Bolton reject, Javi Moreno, for massive bucks did they?

Finally, I really think that this myth about Gresko putting in Roberto Carlos-esque performances during his loan spell needs to be dispelled. Sure - he did well. But remember, the fans were comparing him to Nisse who was calamitous at times in that position and Gresko had one Damien Duff playing in front of him at the end. I think even Dom Matteo would look impressive with the Duffster ahead of him.

Imo, Gresko's incognito was exposed, during that loan spell, when we got hammered five something by Newcastle (I think at Ewood). Tiny Taylor was monstrously bad at right back but Gresko was culpable in a big way too.

The new season will prove whether Gresko has the makings of a solid left back.

Oh dear Mr Armchair- bit of a give away that contribution.

When was the last time we leaked five at Ewood?

I'm struggling on this one but I'll offer Rovers 0 Liverpool 5 in 65/6. (PS answering letting in 4 at Ewood is all too easy- I've just thought of ten instances, two of which we won!).

The 5-1 defeat was at St James's Park. Duff equalised with the sweetest volley imaginable with less than 20 minutes to go but then Bellamy and Robert started running at us and we were routed (the third was Gresko og and perversely unlucky it was too).

For me, that was the game which first posed huge questions about Rovers' coaching and fitness levels, not about Gresko who was no more or less culpable than seven other players in midfield and defense.

Of course you were at Ewood for Rovers 5 Newcastle 2 during the same season. Tiny was so monstrously bad at right back that he scored two and should have had a hattrick.

Edited by philipl

Oh dear Mr Armchair- bit of a give away that contribution.

I'm struggling on this one but I'll offer Rovers 0 Liverpool 5 in 65/6. (PS answering letting in 4 at Ewood is all too easy- I've just thought of ten instances, two of which we won!).

The 5-1 defeat was at St James's Park. Duff equalised with less than 20 minutes to go and then Bellamy and Robert started running at us and we had no answer (the third was Gresko og and perversely unlucky it was too). 

For me, that was the game which first posed huge questions about Rovers' coaching and fitness levels, not about Gresko.

Of course you were at Ewood for Rovers 5 Newcastle 2 at Ewood during the same season. Tiny was so monstrously bad at right back that he scored two and should have had a hattrick.

335876[/snapback]

I take partial blame for that one. I took a mate with me because his boss was a big Newcastle fan and he took massive delight in watching them get hammered. He was going to ring him and lay into him and told him to wait until the return leg because they'd probably beat us by even more. Sorry.

335876[/snapback]

Didn't Coventry put 5 past us at Ewood 92/93ish?

Didn't Coventry put 5 past us at Ewood 92/93ish?

335881[/snapback]

Right you are!Courtesy of soccerbase:

Florida Rover

English Premier

Blackburn 2 (1) - 5 (2) Coventry

Newell 13

Hendry 71

Hendry 19 (og)

Hurst 44

Williams 48

Quinn 85

Quinn 89

At Ewood Park on 26-01-1993

Blackburn: Mimms ,May ,Wright (Atkins ,47 ) ,Sherwood ,Hendry ,Marker ,Ripley ,Cowans (Patrik Andersson ,69 ) ,Wegerle ,Newell ,Wilcox

Subs not used: Collier,

Coventry: Ogrizovic ,Borrows ,Babb ,Atherton ,Busst ,Williams ,Ndlovu ,Gynn ,Rosario ,Quinn ,Hurst

Subs not used Billing,Gould,Rowland,

Bookings: None

Attendance: 15215

Referee: K Redfern ()

The new season will prove whether Gresko has the makings of a solid left back.

335873[/snapback]

hes already proved hes a good left back you numpty! Why do you think we bought him after his loan spell?! Someone ban this idiot, you always have to be controversial with your posts dont you, yet 99% of this board see you as a clown.

Well done- I had forgotten about that one but I had a sneeking suspicion we had conceded 5 at home some time late 80s/early 90s but couldn't remember when/who.

Of course we went down 5-0 to Coventry at the Highfield Road ice-rink when we were Champions.

hes already proved hes a good left back you numpty! Why do you think we bought him after his loan spell?! Someone ban this idiot, you always have to be controversial with your posts dont you, yet 99% of this board see you as a clown.

335890[/snapback]

I've already edited one of your posts, so please cut out the insults. It aint needed, aint nice and aint deserved.

I have a feeling that those cranking up the hype about Gresko will be in for a nasty surprise. Imo, the guy is not up to it defensively and will be found out this season and won't be able to blame Danny Mills.

335847[/snapback]

You really can be quite the numbnuts 6 you really can. Hyping up? Blaming Mills?

Perhaps you were not privvy to Rovers happenings at the time gresko was playing well, I am certainley not blaming anyone other than Gresko for his loss of form. Simply that his loss of form coincided with his broken foot courtesy of Danny Mills.

If we really want to get the best out of Gresko we just have to bring in a top notch manager, Paul Sturrock for example.

Let's wait and see what happens shall we.

I've already edited one of your posts, so please cut out the insults. It aint needed, aint nice and aint deserved.

335914[/snapback]

[/qu

Sorry dirty den

335936[/snapback]

Aint??? Decidedly American, isn't it?

Darn it!  I have to agree with you there Chuckster.  If he can get to the level he was at before Danny Mills crocked him then it will be like a new signing.  He can pass, cross, shoot and is also another threat from free kicks.  I would be very happy to see an in form Gresko rather than Dominic in the left back slot.

335820[/snapback]

Haha, am I at the point where agreeing with me is a shameful thing to do?

I did notice one thing...none of those attribures you listed were terribly defensive. I think the only thing that is suspect is his positioning, if he gets there he usually puts in a decent tackle...hopefully Hughes' organisational skills will sort out his positioning.

So, who's off to Grimsby tonight and where are you drinking ? The Leaking Boot is normally the away pub of choice, but it's quite a trek from the ground (about 3/4 of a mile in the wrong direction), so does anyone have any better suggestions ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.