BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Like I said before, if Benni starts getting arsey and refuses to play, shove him in the stiffs and fine him every week he plays up. How old is he? about 30?, and don't we have him on a 3 or 4 year contract? We could wreck what is left of his career if he really did a Van Hoojidonk. Vastly different circumstances but hadn't everyone forgotten Lee Hughes was a player until a few days ago?

If someone comes in for Benni for silly money, sell up. He is obviously an egotistical chap. If Chelski offer £3-8m, tell them to go away and then play hard if Benni throws his toys out the pram.

According to some of the media, Scolari has said that he's been approached or is interested in the Chelsea job. Be interesting to see if Benni still wants to benchwarm at Chelsea if Mourinho isn't there.

Edited by Ronin

So, now then to the big club wannabees, Newcastle, Villa and Boro. Not one are bigger than Rovers on the playing field and not one of these trio will finish higher than Rovers next season, none are in europe and ALL of them hanker of being run like BRFC. I cant see any Rovers first team player going to any club like this UNLESS they pay obviously stupid money.

I see Rovers adding to the quality of the players we already have and finally ridding themselves of the hangers on in Gray and Todd.

The future is Blue and White :brfc:

I think you under estimate Villas spending power, rumour has it they have a warchest of going on £40m this summer. Anyway, All Benni has been saying through all this saga is that he wants chamions league football. Why would he go to villa, Newcastle or Boro when they aren't even in the intertoto never mind the uefa cup and a million miles away from the CL.

I can see West ham making a cheeky bid, but again, nothing to attract Benni, he's come out recently and said money is not an issue for him.

I honestly believe the only clubs we have to worry about are

Chelsea

Man U

Valencia

Seville

Liverpool

Arsenal

Barcelona

R Madrid

purely because they are in the CL next season and in the best leagues.

Using your logic above, that rules out Chelsea (although the rumours refuse to go away). I cant see Man U buying Benni now as you say (hes too old and would cost what they would consider to be to much for a 29 yr old). Is he really the type of player that Liverpool are after, especially after all the bullish talk of having to spend over £15m on top drawer midfielders and even more for strikers. Wenger would baulk at the price we would ask, plus I dont think he fits into their plans or style of play.

As for the Spanish clubs, it all depends on whether he's willing to move back to Spain now that hes finally realised his dream of playing in the premiership. Lets assume for arguments sake that he would be willing to move back. Madrid and Barcelona forget it, they are after bigger fish. That leaves Seville and Valencia. Hmmm, its not beyond the realms of possibility that one of those clubs will try and lure him back after all his talk of wanting CL football. Even so, i'm not convinced that they will bid and think the prospects of Benni leaving this Summer are slim and all Benni is doing is dreaming of playing in the CL again. If the worst does happen and we do sell him, I believe we will be £15m richer at least.

I think you under estimate Villas spending power, rumour has it they have a warchest of going on £40m this summer. Anyway, All Benni has been saying through all this saga is that he wants chamions league football. Why would he go to villa, Newcastle or Boro when they aren't even in the intertoto never mind the uefa cup and a million miles away from the CL.

I can see West ham making a cheeky bid, but again, nothing to attract Benni, he's come out recently and said money is not an issue for him.

I honestly believe the only clubs we have to worry about are

Chelsea

Man U

Valencia

Seville

Liverpool

Arsenal

Barcelona

R Madrid

purely because they are in the CL next season and in the best leagues.

Using your logic above, that rules out Chelsea (although the rumours refuse to go away). I cant see Man U buying Benni now as you say (hes too old and would cost what they would consider to be to much for a 29 yr old). Is he really the type of player that Liverpool are after, especially after all the bullish talk of having to spend over £15m on top drawer midfielders and even more for strikers. Wenger would baulk at the price we would ask, plus I dont think he fits into their plans or style of play.

As for the Spanish clubs, it all depends on whether he's willing to move back to Spain now that hes finally realised his dream of playing in the premiership. Lets assume for arguments sake that he would be willing to move back. Madrid and Barcelona forget it, they are after bigger fish. That leaves Seville and Valencia. Hmmm, its not beyond the realms of possibility that one of those clubs will try and lure him back after all his talk of wanting CL football. Even so, i'm not convinced that they will bid and think the prospects of Benni leaving this Summer are slim and all Benni is doing is dreaming of playing in the CL again. If the worst does happen and we do sell him, I believe we will be £15m richer at least.

Of your list I can really only see Chelsea going for him. He's available for "silly money" (can't remember if that's a direct quote or something I've imagined), which in the light of the new Sky deal would be too silly for any but the largest foreign clubs, clubs who would be more likely to be in the market for someone younger.

I agree Man U won't be paying silly money on him after their current spending spree, which leaves Liverpool and Chelsea. Liverpool are talking about the likes of Villa and Eto'o. With the greatest of respect to Benni, signing him after such talk would be almost as disappointing as signing Heskey (or me for that matter). I think only Chelsea can afford the silly money we're (hopefully) after.

My 2p: Benni's a terrific striker and the best possible result of all this is him getting another 20-odd goals for us next season!

According to some of the media, Scolari has said that he's been approached or is interested in the Chelsea job. Be interesting to see if Benni still wants to benchwarm at Chelsea if Mourinho isn't there.

If Mourinho leaves I think Benni is all Rovers'. :brfc:;)

Edited by brfc fan

If anybody were to offer £10 million + for Benni, I'd be tempted. If he were 25 / 26 I'd want far more, but at his current age he doesn't have long left at the top of his game, and £10 million should be enough to find a good replacement.

Saying that, whatever sum we receive, it is luring players to the club that will always be the problem. We have been very good in the market in recent years by bringing in Pedersen and Bentley and turning them both into excellent players, while also bringing in some obscure names for little money and having them come good. However, goal scorers never come cheap.

Edited by tcj_jones

Rovers hold the ace card in that the player is on a contract and can hold on to what they have. The plusses for them are that they can hold Chelsea or anyone ot the price they want or as near as dam it, they can also slam Benni in the reserves, make his life uncomfortable and fine him if he decides he aint playing as he then does not fulfill his side of the contract.

It's not entirely true to say that Rovers hold the ace card ; thses days the players have the upper hand - even if there aren't escape clauses hidden away . We saw with Barry Ferguson that it's no good sticking them in the reserves or trying to hang on to them......the price tag's only going to go one way if they're not even kicking a ball in anger and the only sensible thing to do is sell .

With BMc - IF he wants to go - then the best thing would be for more than one club to come in for him . The more I think about it the less I think we'd get for him at this stage in his career...

The LCD display on my DAB radio, whilst left on Talksport channel (by mistake!) has just had this line on it.

"Blackburns desire to keep hold of Benni Macarthy will be tested by Chelsea, As manager Jose Mourinho has said he wants to sign him."

Cannot see any other news sources running it though.

I can't understand why Chelsea need McCarthy. They already have Drogba, Shevchenko, Pizarro and Kalou, you could even include Robben as he plays the second striker role more often now since they went to a midfield diamond.

If they are still seriously chasing McCarthy then I guess Shevchenko could be off, Mourinho doens't seem to rotate his side enough to keep five strikers happy.

I can't understand why Chelsea need McCarthy. They already have Drogba, Shevchenko, Pizarro and Kalou, you could even include Robben as he plays the second striker role more often now since they went to a midfield diamond.

If they are still seriously chasing McCarthy then I guess Shevchenko could be off, Mourinho doens't seem to rotate his side enough to keep five strikers happy.

Am I right in thinking that the African Cup of Nations runs this season? If that were the case, and they lose Drogba, Essien and Mikel, then they will be desperate for a quality striker, and maybe a midfielder as well.

It'll be hard to replace those goals folks. Someone mentioned that he "mostly scores tap-ins", but all that indicates is a good positional sense, a good sense for how the play is going to go, and confidence to get in there and tap it in. He looked almost guilty scoring against Reading on the last day of the season!

As well as those in-born talents, he is very skillful. We'd be mad to let him go for less than silly money.

Mentioning Podolski - he's unlikely to want to come to Blackburn from his current club, although he'd be a good buy, but in that case, why not go for Huntelaar (Ajax), who'd probably be cheaper! For the same kind of cash as Podolski, we could make a creditable bid for Fernando Torres from Athletico Madrid. Or just go mad and get one of "the next Messi"'s from Barca (Bojan (16) is off on loan, he'll be great in the future). I suspect that these aren't on the shopping list, though. Willams has said that Hughes has some fairly specific targets this summer, and I'd be very surprised if the cash wasn't there to get them. The new TV money means that we can move up a rung on the scale, in terms of wages and transfer monies available. Problem is, us and 20 other clubs in the premiership.

Squad wise, we're pretty strong at the moment, so if we do sign people, they'll be young and for the future or expected to make immediate impact. Another striker, I suspect, with Franny moving on. Another attacking midfielder would be nice, and another defensive midfielder too. And that defensive right back, unless there's a good one in the reserves. Ooijer is not fast enough, in my opinion, to be anything more than serious emergency cover.

Defenivly I think they will be good to go with Alex and BenHaim, but I think they are crazy for not giving Makelele one more year. They should be going for some depth, I think they need a class right sided midfielder or at least some decent cover for Robben who can play right and left.

Guest Kamy100

Listening to Jose's interview on Sky Sports, he said he wanted to sign players so that they had squad depth when Drogba, Essien et al went of to the African Nations Cup, I think that comment alone will probably rule out any move for Benni Mc as it appears he now wants to play for South Africa again and is also likely to be involved in the ANC.

Anelka has done a Benni and started talking about CL football. Can only be good news for Rovers.

In all the analysis of how Liverpool have been left behind in the transfer market by Chelsea's freebies and Man U's £50m spree, there is no mention of Benni nor any assumption Bellamy will still be at Anfield.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.