BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan 0-3 Rovers

14,864 "crowd" :o

But great win for the 3,000 travelling Roverites to witness.

I doubt that it was 3K from Rovers.

More like less than 2K, our end was only about 1/3 "full" in a section that takes 5K.

Still the Latics turnout was pathetic. I wonder whay it would have been at £15 a ticket...might have topped 15K perhaps

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people need to not get too excited after this win. It's the exact reverse of after Arsenal when there were all sorts of posters, who hadn't been to the match, predicting dire consequences for the team - in fact they played pretty well and the result was undeserved.

Today we were woeful in the first half and went ahead against the run of play with an own goal (Heskey keeping up his record of scoring in Rovers matches). Wigan had most of the possession and should have done more than one shot well saved by Friedel and a couple of skied shots. We struggled to get any sort of ball to the front two and could not keep hold of the ball. As usual it was a much better performance in the second half, but we haven't suddenly become world beaters. I suspect it will be difficult to make much of results today as players are clearly knackered. Mind you, god knows how many we would have got if Tugay hadn't been rested.

WSR, don'rt want to go off topic but you said Niemi moved his arms and then posted a link to a number of photo's, none of which show Niemi moving at all.

Yeah i know, there images, images dont move...

I saw the Niemi replay on SkySports... :huh: When he went down he waved the physio's onto the pitch with his right arm.

Its also been disclosed on SkySports by Chris Coleman that when he went off to hospital he could feel his body/limbs... A very good sign.

I'm sure they haven't shown any replays yet. It was my understanding that Sky were forbidden to show any Premiership action until AFTER BBC's Match Of The Day tonight?

That can't be right as Football First is usually on after 8.00, well before Match of the Day.

That can't be right as Football First is usually on after 8.00, well before Match of the Day.

That's a good point. Like I said that was only my understanding, but maybe it's that Football First is part of a subscription package, not like SkySports that is available on Freeview. Either way, I doubt it has been on SSN already. I saw the Chris Coleman interview about thirty minutes ago and there were no replays.

When my alarm went off this morning I nearly didn’t bother getting up to go. But thank god I did, it’s been a cracking day out and to see the mighty blues win ‘Again’ was fantastic. I was sat in front of Beni’s Mrs and family and they were loving it and as for entertainment value a big laugh to Phil the ‘moose w*nk’ for his attempt to become the pompey bell ringer. A good end to a fine festive period!!!

Another great result, which brings an end to the festive football. 3 wins on the bounce has really set us up well for the second half of the season. With players to come back from injury and news players to be brough in, we can be more confident as a team and show what we can really do. I'm delighted for Derbyshire and another goal for McCarthy shows what a good signing he has been.

Around 2,500 Rovers fans I think.

We weathered the Wigan onslaught, got lucky with the goal and after the second totally controlled the game. Bentley and Pedersen swapped wings towards the end of the first half and both put in good displays.

And when was the last time two local lads played together up front?

Cotterill is all over Judas, yellow card for Judas.

Why the hell are people calling Neill Judas?! Maybe we should call all the other players that have wanted to move to another club JUdas? It's getting ridiculous. I don't want Neill to be captain as I don't think he is up to the job and also because he isn't fully committed to the team, but that hardly makes him a traitor. For god's sake will people stop calling him Judas?!

Huh?

Wow, sarcasm isn't really your forte.

Superb win today. Win our game in hand and we could go 8th! Who'd have thought we'd be where we are now a couple of weeks ago?

I dont think we will see him playing footie again thats for certain...

Jumping the gun aren`t you?

From the BBC site:

Fulham boss Chris Coleman:

"Antti's got neck damage but can feel his arms and legs, so that's all right.

"He's gone to hospital for an X-ray and we won't know more until the results come out. It looks worse on the replay than it actually is."

Good result, decent performance, though on another day we could have easily gone behind. At any rate, the biggest positive for me is MGP continuing to improve and make consistent performances after a long time out of sorts. 2 assists and some great crossing again on a couple of occassions.

Savage was brilliant running around until the end and Zurab was a rock at the back. Neill, hmm, below par as I said on his own thread elsewhere.

Derbyshire is a breath of fresh air and Im glad he is off the mark. Benni is possibly the best back heeler of the ball in the world! :)

Pretty fair summation from only2garners, in the first half we were absolutely dreadful and were fortunate not to be going in behind let alone in front, thanks to a fortuitous deflection.

Completely different story second half, McCarthy was very impressive and the result was a formality once Derbyshire got his well deserved debut goal. He looked good once again and does seem to have a burst of pace over 20 yards which enables him to create something out of a situation where he has no right to get to the ball, an option we don't have with the other strikers.

The decision to give Mokoena a new contract looks more and more incomprehensible with his every appearance. He was shocking.

Neill played a good ball forward for the goal but seemed to be conducting a personal crusade to get himself sent off in the first half. Not playing with any self discipline at all

Imo Clattenburg had a mare - got just about every decision wrong.

I thought it was a very good following, I was just to the right of the jester with the bell and looking back and up the stand seemed pretty full. I had assumed about 4,000 travelling fans.

Wigan's a cracking little trip out with that Pub The Red Robin available right next to the ground for ale and grub. Hope they don't go down. Mind you it does put a much rosier tint on it when we seem to stuff them 0-3 every year! :)

McCarthys pen, I was on last row so cant really see

Do you think you could use a tripod with your camera next time :D

Jekyll and Hyde performance today but once we got our game together we were sublime. Bentley was fantastic particularly when he switched wings.

Not a great deal created by the midfield but understandable with Tugay out (although you would haved thought he was playing with the amount of singing)

Not a brilliant first half from Neill but hardly worthy of the criticism he is getting on here.

Onwards and upwards

Archived