BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Sold ??

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get a bad feeling about this. The way the money is coming into then Prem we are beggared if we do and beggared if we dont. We need big investment simply to keep up with the other clubs BUT.....

1. Why would anybody aim to take BRFC on in order to make money? The Walker Trust would have the clout and incentive to do that on their own surely? They know all the ropes and have proved in the past that if there is money to be made they are quite capable of exploiting situations themselves.

2. We are probably most valuable to an asset stripper.

3. Taking off my blue tinted glasses I'm suspicious. <_<

Dan could have savwed himself a lot of hard work if he'd been on here. Not taking any credit for merely stating the obvious but where does that leave us now?

1. We are NOT a profitable investment, and especially now that a few wealthy men are looking over their shoulders at the economic situation. Forget also the pipe dream of marketing the club in the far east, they wont pay enough money. We could however still have value to asset strippers. :unsure:

2. We need money to survive and at the moment are near the bottom of the prem pile in gate receipts so imo there are only two viable ways forward.

a. Lanky Utd. Though for somer reason nobody wants to go down that road. Maybe if we were in the relegation places of the 2nd Div and unable to pay the milkman the prospect might appeal more.

b. As I have suggested on another thread the best option open is to become the Crewe of the Prem. Buy players from around the world cheap and sell em dear. We are damned fortunate today that we still have the man most capable of doing that in Mark Hughes so (as I have again said before .... sigh) cut him into a share of the profits and lets move forward down that road. It's not ideal by any stretch of the imagination but we will not get relegated this season so why not get the business head on and sell Bentley and RSC and buy half a dozen of the African nations best players and stash the till summer?

a. Lanky Utd. Though for somer reason nobody wants to go down that road. Maybe if we were in the relegation places of the 2nd Div and unable to pay the milkman the prospect might appeal more.

Go over to the Accrington Stanley boards and put the idea about, see how many would be keen. If they're up for it then you can put some validity to that statement.

It's what I said as well.

Everyone presumed initially his "crew", being venture capitalists, would be potential asset strippers.

Sort of eluded to that too, didn't I ? Very early on. Thinking we dodged a bullet here.

If we were in the conference Theno 'Lanky utd' still wouldn't wash!!

ROVERS WOULDN'T AGREE TO IT AND NO OTHER LOCAL CLUB WOULD :rolleyes:

Lancashire United? I think that some people on this board don't understand what supporting a football club is all about. It's certainly not about expecting to win the Premiership or a cup each season. If that was the case then there would only ever be a handful of clubs in the League.

Football is about supporting your chosen club at whatever level they play at.

If Rovers cannot survive at Premiership level then they go to the next level and so on. Currently we ARE punching above our weight and doing a damn good job but we can't reasonably expect to maintain that, can we?

Many Rovers fans have been around long enough to witness Rovers playing at the top level in three spells but without doing the maths I suspect that we have been outside the top division for much longer.

Sort of eluded to that too, didn't I ? Very early on. Thinking we dodged a bullet here.

Too right, a close escape

Being owned by a consortium of faceless suits only interested in a profit (particularly when there usually isn't one) is not the ideal recipe for success for a non fashionable club like Rovers.

If the Trustees really want to get rid then they should give the club away to someone who has it at heart and the money to continue our success ( and not necessarily to compete with the Big 4)

Too right, a close escape

Being owned by a consortium of faceless suits only interested in a profit (particularly when there usually isn't one) is not the ideal recipe for success for a non fashionable club like Rovers.

If the Trustees really want to get rid then they should give the club away to someone who has it at heart and the money to continue our success ( and not necessarily to compete with the Big 4)

Your spread-betting been doing well lately, Udders? ;)

Some miscellaneous points:

1) I can't agree with Bryan's doom and gloom scenario that no-one would ever want to come in for us. The Premier League is currently the most glamorous in the world, is set for increased media exposure worldwide, and there are only 20 Premiership Clubs. If sports ownersip is your bag, we must be a better bet than most.

Without wishing to be argumentative, the only type of investor who would be willing to invest in a proposition just for the media attention would have to have enough money that they could afford to write off their investment in Rovers ... they're hardly queueing up around the block, are they?

The only people making money out of the game are players, agents and managers.

Why would be a better bet than most? Than most other football clubs? Most other premiership clubs? I don't know, there must be cheaper ways to get your mug in the papers.

How many investors in Permiership clubs have walked away quids up? None!

I just can't see it unless the Sultan of Brunei is a closet Roverite.

How many of those are latter-day investors, comparable to someone coming along now?

Deadly Doug took ovcer Villa in the Sixties, he'd have to be doing an outstandingly bad job not to walk away quids up.

Did Egbert or whatever his name is walk away better off for his investment?

If they were latter day investors, there wouldn't have been time for the price to go up from what they paid. Having said that, Fat Freddie only quite recently built up a substantial stake before selling out for a huge profit.

I'm not saying that necessarily it is good value now, but most of the money made has come from long term capital growth, not short-term asset stripping, and I don't see why it should be any different in the future.

Football has never looked good short-term value at the time of the investment - Dein was laughed at when he invested 200k in the Arsenal.

If there is any truth in it why wait until the end of the transfer window, making it difficult for us to capitalize on any new found wealth, instead of taking advantage of our already good league position and getting in there early? Perhaps these supposed new buyers dont want to spalsh the cash? Crazy!

Gotta love The Sun.

No one had heard a thing about this yet they can break the story as part of another story, with no quotes or evidence, AND claim that the proposed takeover is at an advanced stage.

Brilliant.

It was said months ago, that a group of Pakistani's had made a takeover bid.

Brilliant, you've gotta love the sun, if there's nothing going on, make it up.

On January 12th, 14th and 16th The Sun ran headline stories on the lines of it's definetley Hughes for Newcastle, Deschamps for Newcastle, then Keegan (or someone) for Newcastle..............................personally I always put a lot of credence in what The Sun has to say

The important thing is Rovers get investment, and if it comes from Asians, fantastic. If it comes from Anglo-saxons, fantastic. Just read that those brothers who own TIME computers are actually based in Burnley, good if it was them, we won a cup during their last association with the club!

Archived