SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roque Santa Cruz Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
Charming sentiment.

Is it not normal to hope that an oppositions biggest threats aren't available to play against you?

I'm sure he didn't mean any ill wishes on him other than that

Is it not normal to hope that an oppositions biggest threats aren't available to play against you?

I'm sure he didn't mean any ill wishes on him other than that

I'd rather Santa Cruz was on the pitch as opposed to Adebayor.

I think City can buy who they like, Stephen Ireland will still be their best performer.

You are so correct Mafioso, he is their best and most consistant by a country mile, however, a temporary injury to Bellamy would ease my fears somewhat, I still rate the guy very highly and thought he was treated shockingly at Liverfool, esp. in their cup final when they left him on the bench when needing a goal (Madness)

N.B. Wouldn't it be nice is Bellamy rejoined us for a snip in January?

I suspect when we get into August, the concensus of opinion will be we should have held onto Roque.

Your suspicions look to be unfounded. Citeh have revealed RSC won't play until at least September.

I'm delighted we managed to offload him for silly money. Imagine if he were sat on the sidelines for us again for half the season while we struggled on without having had the cash for new signings.

• 5 months later...

Like I've said many times, a lot of fans suspected Roque was feigning injury to engineer a move away from Ewood Park. The fact of the matter is his career has been blighted with injury, with Rovers taking full advantage of a purple patch during his first season here.

Real shame if he does have to retire. A great player to watch on his day, may not be lightening quick, nor does he have great skill, but his hard work, and movement was sometimes great to watch.

Still have a soft spot for the lad, and desperate for him to succeed at City, so some of the fans on here shut up. We've seen the quality once, and let's hope we can see it again.

I'm surprised there are so many Blackburn fans who dislike him. If we're honest, an injury free player with the same ability at RSC would never play for us but the move suited him because we were willing to take a risk on him when other clubs wouldn't have. We both used each other because it was right for both parties. Unfortunately his injuries never disappeared and he probably won't have another season like he did with us and thankfully for Rovers, we got 17m out of it as well as having a bloody good striker which caused teams many problems. I think I remember reading an interview with Danny Simpson who mentioned that all the Man Utd players were asking all about Roque because they knew what an amazing talent he was.

We should be pleased with what we got out of the deal because we got to see an amazing talent grace Ewood Park as well being well rewarded for losing a class player.

I wish he gets over his injuries because it's great players like him who I want to be watching week in week out.

This is going to stir things but in that first season with us and on the odd occasions he was fit afterwards, I'd rate RSC as second only to Shearer as a Rovers striker.

Ditto. imo he's in front of Sutton but I'd narrow 'striker' down to 'centre forward' in order to avoid comparison to the likes of Duff and Bellamy.

Sutton was a better centre forward for Blackburn Rovers though. One of those annoying discussions, cos there are always going to be better footballers than others, but it doesn't make them better players for the club.

Sutton had a longer and more successful career at Rovers than Santa Cruz.

Archived