BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Warnock For England

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is fantastic news- I just had a feeling that might have been the reason for Capello taking in so many Rovers games recently and when a review ofd Pompey v Rovers mentioned Capello watching Bentley and four Pompey English-born players, that feeling was very much confirmed.

Well done Steven Warnock!!!

This sort of call up sends out the right message to other players languishing on the edge of first team football and thinking about a move to a club like ours.

I think Warnock certainly has the ability, but sadly as yet doesn't have the consistency to be an England regular. Case in point his display away at Fulham this season, he was by far the best player on the pitch, but the next home game he was awful.

Happy for him though and builds up the clubs profile to boot.

This sort of call up sends out the right message to other players languishing on the edge of first team football and thinking about a move to a club like ours.

I think Warnock certainly has the ability, but sadly as yet doesn't have the consistency to be an England regular. Case in point his display away at Fulham this season, he was by far the best player on the pitch, but the next home game he was awful.

Happy for him though and builds up the clubs profile to boot.

Excellent point Gav. I hope Mr Hughes has had the same thought and will be citing this as an example to those he covets this Summer.

Great attitude to the game but I dont think that he is full England quality but well done all the same.

Although he's just signed a new deal I suppose he'll want to be away from Blackburn as soon as he's had a few sessions rubbing shoulders with the rest of the Billy big times in the England squad. :rolleyes:

for some reason, he doesn't strike me as that sort of lad. i think he's just happy playing football after all them years at liverpool where he were always on the fringes. he said first and foremost he wanted to play well and regularly for blackburn, and wasn't thinking about england. his hard work has paid off, hope he gets a game. He's no ashley cole when that pillock is on form, but best of the rest from what i've seen.

How long since we've had two players in the England squad?

Weren't Thompson & Dunn called up together at one point for a friendly international?

Very well deserved call-up for Warnock, for me he's been one of the most constant left-backs in the Premiership. Better than Bridge in my opinion, should definately be England's second choice LB behind Ashley Cole though.

How long since we've had two players in the England squad?

Dunn made his 1 and only England appearance in September 2002, and then Thompson was called up for a couple of qualifiers in October 2002(though he didn't play). However, i dont think they were ever called up into the same squad.

As a result we might be looking at the Le Saux-Shearer-Batty-Flowers combination with the odd appearance from Wilcox and Ripley up to the the end of the 1996 season, when Shearer, Batty and Le Saux all left.

I can bet he thought it was a joke when he was told though. I watched soccer am when Curtis Davies was on. They asked him how he found out and he said they sent him a text. Can you imagine just getting a text saying you were in the England squad. If your not a regular how would you believe it?

Great news for Warnock being called up and that does send out the right message. What doesn't though is calling up Crouch yet again who doesn't play regularly for his team - mixed signals there

Anyone going to the US match?

I shall be there, hope it is better than the Switzerland game. Fantastic place tne New Wembley, but queueing for the train after (can take as long as the game, or seems like it) is painful. However, if we win 2-0 & Bentley & Warnock score the goals, that'll ease the suffering.

Big congrat's to Stephen, fully deserves it. Fair play to Capello too for his wider vision of players.

Well done to Warnock! Richly deserved, and really useful, as others have pointed out, to use to lure English players on the fringes of "bigger clubs" to Ewood.

Capello is his own man so I wouldn't say it was an outlandish possibility that Warnock will be allowed to challenge Cole. Although Cole is currently ahead of Steve earlier in the season the Rovers man was having the better year. Barry is a great inspiration for those at "lesser clubs" as he has displaced Carrick, Lampard and Hargreaves.

The problem for us is the picking of Huddlestone. In terms of getting him for the right price we want him to be forgotten, not in the England squad. THis probably just doubled his value.... :(

Archived