BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham Preview

That was our best chance to exorcise the curse of the Hammers, and we blew it!

I'm not his biggest fan by any means, but well done to Andrews. He's scored some important goals this season.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never liked andrews cos he does nuffin!! All i've seen him do is score!! (now there are words i never thought i'd say). thought samba was EXCEPTIONAL today as was stevie warnock for sheer commitment, and runnin (reminds me of stevie gerrard, but he can TACKLE!!)

I thought we played brilliantly today. NEVER a dull moment and all action game. I'm pleased to say the action was mostly us. How we didn't win, i'll never know, but we play like that from now til the end, we'll be FINE!!

Just one question. I knew pedersen had a good throw, but has he had lessons from rory delap? his throws were like bullets!! Another method f attack for us there!

UP THE MIGHTY BLUE/WHITE ARMY!!!

I guess what we now see at Ewood is 'percentage' football.

I really hope it is, because it's good stuff.

Basically the plan is to put the ball in the box then pick up on the second ball, then start passing and trying to pick a way through. It does work very well because it means we see a lot of the ball around the box. The flaw obviously is when you don't pick up that second ball, today though we were brilliant at that bit.

There was a lovely move around the edge of the box where Diouf played a one-two with Warnock then fed the ball into the box, I think it ended up with a great chance for Pedersen and an heroic block by Neill. The stigma around 'long ball' means it's always going to attract criticism, but personally I don't think it's bad to watch at all. If anything it means you get a lot more action near the goal instead of watching a team playing triangles on the half way line.

Shocked how happy people are with the performance, was average at best.

The corner issue is really annoying me. A team like us, with a lack of creativity right through the team should be spending a lot of time and effort perfecting them. We've got some big lads who will always cause problems if you loft the ball towards them. This has been going on for bloody years now too, what the hell is the problem?

Shocked how happy people are with the performance, was average at best.

The corner issue is really annoying me. A team like us, with a lack of creativity right through the team should be spending a lot of time and effort perfecting them. We've got some big lads who will always cause problems if you loft the ball towards them. This has been going on for bloody years now too, what the hell is the problem?

Let me guess, they didn't clear the first man again?

I was pulled up for slating Pedersen's corner-taking. apparently it's very difficult to do, you can't kick it too high, nor kick it too low, but somewhere in-between (bit like Liberal Democrats).

Given such exacting parameters for this task, we shouldn't be too hard on people paid thousands of pounds of week to play football who can't even put a decent corner in.

Let me guess, they didn't clear the first man again?

I was pulled up for slating Pedersen's corner-taking. apparently it's very difficult to do, you can't kick it too high, nor kick it too low, but somewhere in-between (bit like Liberal Democrats).

Given such exacting parameters for this task, we shouldn't be too hard on people paid thousands of pounds of week to play football who can't even put a decent corner in.

Pedersen's corners at least tried to clear the defence.

The first defender had to stoop low to head away Diouf's corners.

Poor preformance in general. Lucky to get a point.

I really hope it is, because it's good stuff.

Basically the plan is to put the ball in the box then pick up on the second ball, then start passing and trying to pick a way through. It does work very well because it means we see a lot of the ball around the box. The flaw obviously is when you don't pick up that second ball, today though we were brilliant at that bit.

There was a lovely move around the edge of the box where Diouf played a one-two with Warnock then fed the ball into the box, I think it ended up with a great chance for Pedersen and an heroic block by Neill. The stigma around 'long ball' means it's always going to attract criticism, but personally I don't think it's bad to watch at all. If anything it means you get a lot more action near the goal instead of watching a team playing triangles on the half way line.

I have to disagree.

At it's best the style of play under Sam seems to be to lump it into the mixer and hope something breaks our way.

With the personnel currently at our disposal that might be the only way to play and needs must at the moment. If it keeps us up who cares.

I don't think it's good to watch however and if we do scrape up I would hope that that's not the style of play we adopt in the longer term.

Another good point and performance on the way to premiership safety after the debacle that was t'pau'ince. After reading most of the tripe posted here I cannot help but wonder that most of you are suffering from paranoia - give up t'skunk ye crap 'eds. I thought Anti-Dingle-Brigade had it about spot on. Onwards and upwards.

I would have taken a point before this game and the somewhat unexpected wins at Fulham and Hull mean that we have a good cushion. 9 points and we should be there.

Not saying we're definitely going to go down but I don't understand all this unbridled optimism. Two clubs leapfrogged us today, we're only one place out of the drop zone, and where are these nine points going to come from if we can't win our home games?

We were totally and utterly dominatant in the second half, not seen us dominate a game like that in ages. We really should have had all three points today but at the vital times the ball wouldn't just bounce our way and a lot of the time the final ball was poor. Warnock was everywhere, Diouf and Pedersen covered a lot of the pitch as well and got involved in a lot of the play. Pleased for Andrews as well who's the favourite scapegoat for people it seems, I make that 4 points his goals have won us this season, not bad at all.

My Man Of The Match though would have to go to Samba though he won countless headers in the air, put in a number of good defensive tackles and brought the ball forward to great effect. If it wasn't for Scott Parker's synical foul near the end I was sure the big man was going to unleash an unstoppable shot from the edge of the area into the top corner.

I would have taken a point before this game and the somewhat unexpected wins at Fulham and Hull mean that we have a good cushion. 9 points and we should be there.

I wouldn't describe 2 points clear of the relegation zone a good cushion. After today's wins for Portsmouth and Stoke I'm not convinced that 40 points will be enough. I suspect 41 or 42 will be needed to be really safe. Today was yet another example of two points thrown away because we can't score when we are in control of games. Having won 3 from 15 home games we are now looking to win 3 of the last 4 games at Ewood.

I still think we will survive but we really do need other teams to do us favours. I suspect WBA are going down, Middlesbrough look to be on the ropes and we can but hope that Newcastle continue to sink. However, if either of the two north-east clubs rally and start getting a win or two we could yet be in real trouble. We really need the three points against Spurs to take some of the pressure off. If we were to be beaten by Spurs then it would make it really difficult to get to 40 points, let alone 41 or 42.

With regard to today's game I thought Samba, Nelsen and Givet were excellent while Diouff got through a great deal of work. However, the lack of finishing by our front two is worrying and Robinson's form is a cause for concern. We are conceding too many goals from angles that shouldn't result in a goal and his attempts at clearing crosses doesn't inspire confidence.

If we do stay up then Sam is going to have a major rebuilding job in the summer if the club can find the money. If they can't provide him with the cash to rebuild I suspect we will simply be postponing relegation by twelve months.

There does seem to be an unusally high sense of satisfaction about todays result.

It wasn't a match i felt we had to win. More one i felt we would win. But the draw left me with a distinct sense of nausea. I know Stoke are a worse side than us, but if they continue to pick up these spasmodic wins we could be in serious trouble if we continue to draw matches we should be winning.

Stoke are the big worry for me. WBA, N'castle then us. Before they meet us we could easily be 7 points adrift of them. Its not unthinkable that we will come away with nothing from the Spuds and Liverpool games. Follow that up with some end of season meaningless fixtures against the likes of Wham and Fulham and they could easily reach the necessary point total.

Pompey's next three will decide their fate (Hull, WBA & Bolton). I think unless they get 6 points from those fixtures they could be in real trouble, with Utd and Arsenal to play before the season ends.

If i am honest i don't see us getting points from the Liverpool, City or Chelsea games. I think Stoke away might yield a draw. That leaves Pomey and WBA at home as must wins plus really hard games against Spuds and Wigan. For me maybe another 8 points this season from thoses games is realistic. But in all honesty i think we need 10 or 11.

I still have the utmost faith in Allardyce and the squad to pull through it. But i think we'll need a few helping hands along the way. A big factor in who goes down will be decided in the North East with 3 derbies to be played.

the Axe cemented his reputation as one of our worst ever top flight players

Not to sound like I have an obsession but did he play bad? He's not leaving on a high then?

As for the comments about us lacking a bit of guile or creativity - Allardyce would've done well to turn to Villaneuva in the final moments of the game.

But, I have reached the conclusion that Professor Allardyce puts Carlos on the bench for Big Sam PR reasons (pretending to want his team to play football one day). I don't think he'll ever actually use the guy.

Stuart Hall says we dont deserve the equaliser, he's slated us all afternoon on 5 live

Does Stuart Hall dislike Rovers or does he dislike Sam Allardyce ?

He did not have a good word to say about us in any of his reports.

Does Stuart Hall dislike Rovers or does he dislike Sam Allardyce ?

He did not have a good word to say about us in any of his reports.

It would seem to me that there is much hatred for the Rovers among the media. Even when they are doing well (finishing 6th) the media portrays Rovers as bullies and ruffians and when they play well it's always luck never skill even when playing teams with much less qualified players. Perhaps there is a sore spot for people how Blackburn is one of the few clubs to have ever taken the premier league title.

In any case I think today's performance was an indication that Rovers are NOT going down this season. Despite not being able to finish on many opportunities I believe they have what it takes to stay up this season and I look forward to what Sam has in store for signings in the off season.

Why are people so down after a performance like that. If anyone didnt know and was watching it, they would of picked West Spam as the relegation candidates not us. We battered them and but for alot of luck, we should of beat them. Every bounce, block and nick just seemed to go their way - the ref was inconsistent and the lino needs to give it up as a bad job.

SAMBA - Once again MOM by a mile. Best Rovers player once again. WHY does Peter Jackson the blind jeweller continue to keep naming Nelsen as MOM?? Is he watching a different game?

As for our tactics - we battered them and we were unlucky. That tells its own story - with the players we have, the tactics are working fine.

On the corner issue - most were crap, but also do people forget Diouf's first corner? Went to its man at the near post - who flicked it on and it just bounced straight across the goal line waiting for a touch. Did people forget that one?

I thought it was a great second half - not used to excitement at Ewood these days. As for the linesmen it's remarkable that he correctly gets 2 decisions about our goals correct and their's wrong. And the fact that he gave Samba offside when he ran through onto his own header suggests that Samba CAN defy the laws of physics <_<

• Backroom
Why are people so down after a performance like that. If anyone didnt know and was watching it, they would of picked West Spam as the relegation candidates not us. We battered them and but for alot of luck, we should of beat them. Every bounce, block and nick just seemed to go their way - the ref was inconsistent and the lino needs to give it up as a bad job.

The fact is, we've been seeing these excuses all season as reasons why we haven't won instead of drawn (or lost), especially under the Allardyce reign. It's time to start creating our own luck, or we will struggle. No matter how the teams played today, West Ham are 7th and we're 17th. There's a reason for that - they can win games and we can't.

Not to sound like I have an obsession but did he play bad? He's not leaving on a high then?

As for the comments about us lacking a bit of guile or creativity - Allardyce would've done well to turn to Villaneuva in the final moments of the game.

But, I have reached the conclusion that Professor Allardyce puts Carlos on the bench for Big Sam PR reasons (pretending to want his team to play football one day). I don't think he'll ever actually use the guy.

Carlos is not up to the task - Mokoena was the holding player yesterday. Are you seriously suggesting that Carlos is used as the holding player? So if Carlos played then Warnock, who remains one of the few who can get forward from midfield, would have had to be the holding player which would be to waste what he brings to midfield.

Carlos has shown time and again - both in the first team and the reserves - that he is not good enough for English football. I have seen all of the games he has played in and yes he was great against Grimsby Town, but then being great against the team who are third off the bottom of League 2 is hardly a glowing recommendation. From what I have seen of him he has been a total waste money in terms of the loan fee and wages.

The fact is, we've been seeing these excuses all season as reasons why we haven't won instead of drawn (or lost), especially under the Allardyce reign. It's time to start creating our own luck, or we will struggle. No matter how the teams played today, West Ham are 7th and we're 17th. There's a reason for that - they can win games and we can't.

I agree but sometimes you need to feel the luck is with you to give you just that bit extra. I remember Poyet hitting the bar in the Worthington Cup Final and my daughter saying "We'll win this now." Remember Warnock's challenge on pantsil earlier this season? One lucky escape or whatever is all it takes some times. West Ham got theirs in the offside goal. We didn't really get one.

I think despite dominating the possession and chances, and only really going for the jugular in the second half, I was most disappointed with how quiet the fans went in the final 10 minutes. We were desparately trying to get a goal and people STILL insist on streaming out of the ground instead of continuing to get behind the team. I was one of the very few people - in the Riverside at least - still trying to shout the lads on but everyone else seemed to be settling for a point. I felt like doing a Delia: COME ON, WHERE ARE YOU???? It's a shame because for the large part of the second half the atmosphere was as good as I've seen in the long time. Hope we can do as well or better against Spurs!

# Keep the blue flag flying high! # :brfcsmilie:

You've said this more than once now. In the absence of Derbyshire he's our only first team squad member who can be considered a forward. Maybe that was why he was on the bench? I don't think Sam cares a bit about what people say about his tactics, so I severely doubt he did it "to look good".

I agree but sometimes you need to feel the luck is with you to give you just that bit extra. I remember Poyet hitting the bar in the Worthington Cup Final and my daughter saying "We'll win this now." Remember Warnock's challenge on pantsil earlier this season? One lucky escape or whatever is all it takes some times. West Ham got theirs in the offside goal. We didn't really get one.

I agree with you about not having the luck yesterday, especially in the second half GB, where we just needed something to drop kindly for us. But, the problem with this squad whenever Rocky isn't fit, is that they're relying on luck all the time. The quality isn't there.

I wouldn't describe 2 points clear of the relegation zone a good cushion.

I didn't say that. I said we had unexpected wins which meant that we were ahead of our predicted points tally for this point in the season. I expected us to get two draws and a win giving 5 points, but we got two wins and a draw, giving us 7. This is what I meant by a cushion.

Archived