BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shearer Next Newcastle Manager

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If true then it could have a huge impact on our survival chances.

Looking at their fixture run in and their current form I think most neutral fans would believe they are a dead cert to go down, but a managerial change can transform a club and its fortunes…

I wonder what the odds are on Shearer keeping up the club he has supported all his life at the expense of the club that he had his most success at/best performances…

A huge gamble Shearer is taking and one I have a feeling will go pear-shaped for him.

If the club do get relegated then Shearer will take a fair share of the blame, now is the time for an experienced manager to take charge of a club and we are very lucky to have Big Sam.

We all know what happens when an inexperienced manager takes charge of Premiership clubs don't we?? :unsure:

• Backroom

I have a bad feeling about this, the atmospshere and belief at the club will totally change, lets just hope the results don't.

IF true, I echo the statements that it might be untimely boost for Newcastle FC. I think Shearer's shortcomings will surface long-term, but his presence could give them a boost in the meantime.

The only bad thing is that I don't want it to happen to Sir Alan, but Newcastle deserve to get relegated. I don't see why people think the players will suddenly be "galvanized". They've had like 5 managers in the past 2 years, the players are overrated, lazy and don't care about the club. If they haven't been playing until now, nothing's gonna change that.

Guest Kamy100

Good move by Newcastle. They were doomed without him but now they have hope. If the new manager affect results in 4 wins that will keep them up. In Martins and Owen they have two world class strikers, IF they can keep them fit then with Shearer in charge they may just pull this off.

As for Rovers survival is in our own hands, if we fail to stay up it will because of our ineptness, we cannot/should not have to rely on other teams. Saturday's match against Tottenham is going to be critical.

No it's not. The fact is we always had to win games to be safe. we still have to win games. We need to win the same number as them or more than the teams immediately above us. why should we slip into despondency just because they've changed manager? To stay up we had to stay ahead of 3 other teams. That task hasn't changed.

Under the old regime I was quietly confident that we would stay up because Newcastle and Midlesbrough wouldn't be able to pick up as many points as us. That remains the case with the latter, but this could be exactly the boost the Geordies need.

With a new manager and players returning from injury, I'm very worried. Chelsea is a game yu'd expect Newcastle to lose comfortably but, with this news and in the wake of Chelsea's disapointing result last week, they could very well pull off an upset.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. One thing's for sure, this puts a lot of pressure on us to get something out of the Spurs game, and they're in excellent form.

• Backroom

Shearer pros: Has been at the club fairly recently, will know the setup and a few of the players already. Large morale boost to both fans and players.

Shearer cons: No premiership management experience whatsoever. Has HUGE pressure on him, now, as the Geordies are all expecting to stay up under his management. Has no transsfer window with which to bring in his own players - must work with the bad team he's been given.

As usual there's a lot of overreaction on here. Okay, it'll be a morale boost, but so was "King Kev" and he hardly worked wonders with them did he? A new manager won't automatically change the fact they're still a crap team, and have a harder run in than anyone around them. Big Al has some plusses in that he will know a few players/staff from the time he was there and will be familiar with the surroundings, he'll also have no doubt been learning from Roeder, Bobby Robson, etc when he was a player, but that doesn't change the fact he's taken on an enormously difficult job with ZERO experience of solo management at any level. A last desperate roll of the dice from Newcastle which I don't think will pay off.

Archived