BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shearer Next Newcastle Manager

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You've got to feel a bit of sympathy for Joe Kinnear, he probably realises he'll be as welcome as a fart in a wetsuit around the Club if Shearer decides to continue beyond the end of the season.

But he might be heading for the boardroom, as has been suggested somewhere, now that Wise is leaving according to teletext.

OK. A honeymoon period should ensue but Chelsea is their first game so very difficult to get a point.

Ince was a very successful manager at two lower league clubs yet still failed at Prem level. Shearer has NO managerial experience.

Will Ian Dowie be better than Archie Knox? Probably. And Wise has just left so that's another bonus to them.

I really cannot see Shearer sorting out ALL the Geordies' problems. But they, along with us, should just escape.

Down will go WBA, Stoke, Hull.

Newcastle is and always has been a basket case. It has an overblown sense of its own importance. But then again that's quite endearing isn't it. Oh for a bit of blind faith at our club. You've got to love them. Naive yes but you have to love them. However, Shearer has been dodging managerial opportunities for years and then lo and behold the impossible to fail opportunity comes along. Go down and 'not even Shearer could save them' stay up and 'Shearer is the real Messiah'. Can't lose! Smells to me of a bit of cowardice in the old Poppins character somewhere. If he was that desperate for management he would have taken it earlier, it was certainly on offer (and at Ewood methinks), but no, too risky for the old reputation (and the bank balance) n'est pas? I predicted a few posts back that Newcastle will stay up, that hasn't changed but now I really hope I'm wrong as Shearers opportunism is all wrong. I never thought Newcastle's run in was any more difficult than ours, again I hope I'm wrong but knowing our luck the dead cat bounce is sure to work against us. Wor Alan, away the lad, PLEASE!! If they go down I'd LOVE IT just LOVE IT. D*mn hypocrite.

Shearer to get 1.8M if he keeps them up. Has also stated he will not be there past the end of the season. Seems he's not quite ready to give up the MOTD couch yet.

Did he say that - or did he say he wasn't looking past the end of the season?

• Backroom
Shearer, 38, said: “This is for an eight-game spell, I’m looking no further than that.

“Joe Kinnear is in the job at the moment and recovering well from his operation.

"I’m here for eight games and eight games only and I'll try to keep this team in the Premier League.”

He's left it slightly open ended, admittedly, so it's possible he will stay. I don't think he will, though.

Those saying this appointment will not affect our position are wrong.

40pts in my opinion saw you safe. If Newcastle get the new manager boost that number goes up, fairly sure we can get 9 pts from 8 games but 12 pts? not so sure.

Lets hope this goes the usual Geordie way.... Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory on the last day of the season but anyone for law of the x?

This is a very bold move for many reasons.

1. He has no experience at all in being a manager.

2. He is certainly used to pressure playing matches but managing is a whole new ball game and such huge pressure too, no time for 1 slip up.

3. His appointment will lift the fans for sure but its players who win matches.

4. Will the players respect him and play for him and be inspired by him like the fans are, im not so sure.

5. We know first hand that nicey nicey doesnt win matches, does he have the nouse and time to turn it round.

Basically his appointment is for team spirit and that could go either way, how many of newcastles players will respect him and how many will think of him as nothing but hype.

As i said its a bold move, regardless who goes down im glad im not a barcode fan constantly priding themselves on being a big club without the results, city heading down the same road too.

• Backroom

Shearer's comments in the papers kind of say it all IMO. He knows that for the next 8 games he may be able to give the team enough of a morale boost to at least compete in the games they have left, whilst he has Dowie by his side to hone his tactical thoughts and bounce ideas off. However, he knows the club are in a terrible state and that even if they survive this year, he won't be able to stop them slipping into a similar struggle next year. Reading between the lines of what Shearer has said, I don't think the Geordies have that much to be excited about. If "New Manager Syndrome" was as effective as everybody seems to believe then a new manager would take over for every match. It depends totally on the manager and the squad.

The Newcastle squad were asking for an experienced leader to get them out of trouble. They've been given Shearer... a leader, yes, but experienced? No. Dowie fills that role, kind of... but I still don't think a lot of the players will be that overwhelmed by the appointments. They're not Newcastle lads... most of them are foreign and/or mercenaries. The love the "Toon Army" feel for Big Al won't be reciprocated by most of the players there. The big question will be whether the atmosphere in St. James will be enough to lift the players to perform better than they have in the past 30 games? And what of when they travel away?

Newcastle are far from certs to stay up, but for the doomlords, this appointment is the perfect opportunity to cry into their pints and pronounce that we are finished.

If "New Manager Syndrome" was as effective as everybody seems to believe then a new manager would take over for every match.

You can't use that rather silly idea to disprove something which is quite true, even Ince enjoyed a honeymoon period! (well, sort of)

Just look at Redknapp, Allardyce, Sbragia, Hart...they all enjoyed successful start before it began to tail off slightly. I think it's the general excitement of change and almost needing to prove themselves all over again that gives the lift, and just the general 'freshness' of a new regime. If that happened every match then it would just become as routine as having the same manager and you wouldn't get that effect.

Surely it's beyond doubt that Newcastle will improve for the rest of the season, they couldn't really get any worse. It's just whether it will be enough that's the big question. Personally I think it will, which means we have to get above the likes of Hull ASAP.

Newcastle is and always has been a basket case. It has an overblown sense of its own importance. But then again that's quite endearing isn't it. Oh for a bit of blind faith at our club. You've got to love them. Naive yes but you have to love them. However, Shearer has been dodging managerial opportunities for years and then lo and behold the impossible to fail opportunity comes along. Go down and 'not even Shearer could save them' stay up and 'Shearer is the real Messiah'. Can't lose! Smells to me of a bit of cowardice in the old Poppins character somewhere. If he was that desperate for management he would have taken it earlier, it was certainly on offer (and at Ewood methinks), but no, too risky for the old reputation (and the bank balance) n'est pas? I predicted a few posts back that Newcastle will stay up, that hasn't changed but now I really hope I'm wrong as Shearers opportunism is all wrong. I never thought Newcastle's run in was any more difficult than ours, again I hope I'm wrong but knowing our luck the dead cat bounce is sure to work against us. Wor Alan, away the lad, PLEASE!! If they go down I'd LOVE IT just LOVE IT. D*mn hypocrite.

Or maybe just a case of a fan (which he is and always has been) trying to do whatever he can to save 'his' club?

I agree with you longsiders, but the one bit of doubt I have over just seeing it like that is that this isn't the first time he's had the chance to become involved in the club. He now has a win-win opportunity at management: if they don't stay up he had taken charge of a sinking ship and if he keeps them up he's the messiah and a miracle worker. Doesn't surprise me that he finds this a bit tempting and has decided now is the time to get his feet wet.

• Backroom
You can't use that rather silly idea to disprove something which is quite true, even Ince enjoyed a honeymoon period! (well, sort of)

Just look at Redknapp, Allardyce, Sbragia, Hart...they all enjoyed successful start before it began to tail off slightly. I think it's the general excitement of change and almost needing to prove themselves all over again that gives the lift, and just the general 'freshness' of a new regime. If that happened every match then it would just become as routine as having the same manager and you wouldn't get that effect.

Surely it's beyond doubt that Newcastle will improve for the rest of the season, they couldn't really get any worse. It's just whether it will be enough that's the big question. Personally I think it will, which means we have to get above the likes of Hull ASAP.

Ince hardly enjoyed a honeymoon period, unless you count beating a decimated Everton squad 3-2? Most new managers just have their games looked upon in a favourable light, Sam, for example, stopped us losing but we still weren't picking up wins where we needed them until quite recently. He was an improvement on Ince, but it'd have been hard to be worse. Same with Sbragia re: Keane and Redknapp re: Ramos. How could they have done much worse? Most of "New manager Syndrome" has come from the fact clubs have been appointing inexperienced or foreign managers who can't get to grips with the premiership and are then replaced by managers who actually know what they're doing. New Manager Syndrome didn't work for Pompey.

Newcastle have replaced their manager 4 times since last year, Keegan (supposedly The Messiah) got something like 2 points out of his first 8 games. Kinnear lost his first game in charge 2-1 at home to us, they then drew 2-2 with Everton and Man City, and lost 2-1 away to Sunderland. Hardly a revival. They beat West Brom (wow) before gaining a surprising 2-0 result at home to Villa, then going back to losing ways, 1-2 to Fulham.

Point is, Shearer won't find it easy to turn them around. Things didn't automatically click for Keegan and they won't automatically click for Shearer. The myth about Kinnear kickstarting Newcastle is really just a myth, they scraped a couple of draws and recorded a somewhat fortunate win over Villa. Anyone believing that just because they've got a new manager they're going to be an entire new team needs to realise it's not that simple. It's very tabloid-esque fairytale nonsense that hides the truth - Newcastle aren't a very good team, and Shearer will find that out soon enough.

Btw, I'm not denying Shearer will have some kind of impact on Newcastle... I think he will. I just refuse to believe this alone automatically means they will be safe, as practically everybody seems to think now. New Manager Syndrome exists to a point, but a lot of it is media created ###### that is all too easy to lap up. If anything, it's made the relegation battle that much more interesting.

I dont go with the Shearer factor having a big influence on Rovers attempts to saty up nor in Newcastles.

The games they have left are simply too hard to call.

Chelsea H LOSS

Stoke A DRAW at best

Spurs A LOSS

Portsmouth H WIN

Liverpool a LOSS

Boro H WIN but likely to be a draw

Fulham H Draw

Villa A Loss

For me its a total of 8 points at best.

They are currently 2 points worse off than us which, if Rovers pull off the right result on Saturday could easily be a five point gap.

Shearers decision doesnt add up, 8 games to go, 4 DEFINITE losses out of 8 to come, an injury list as long as the Tyne, a team without confidence, a team that has lost its best defender in Taylor and a team without their usual saviour Shane Given.

If anyone thought we had it bad then take a look at the barcodes. Chasing points is going to leave them wide open for the likes of Chelsea, liverpool and Villa. A team that cannot defend is wide open to the likes of Stoke and Fulham whilst the Tyne/tees derby is uncallable as a result for both clubs.

Should we win on Saturday then at 3pm each and every clubs stuck down the bottom has a different perspective of the game they are about to kick off in. The tremors will be rumbling, nerves will kick in, players will be afraid and mistakes will be made.

Come on Bolton.

Come on Chelsea.

Wba/Stoke bore draw

pompy/hull likewise

big upwhamboys.

Everton to beat wigan.

Great to see some of those clips, just makes you remember what a very special player he was, and how much of an honour it was that the best years of his career as a player were in the blue and white.

Tingle down the back of the neck watching that -Jason Roberts please if you have a mo please could you watch before pulling on the shirt on Saturday......

Archived