BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shearer Next Newcastle Manager

More like Shearer saw it as a chance to increase his god like status up there. He cares about that more than saving Newcastle.

Shearer has already lied to Newcastle fans about them being his first choice in 1996. He would jump at any opportunity to be hailed as their savior. He took it knowing he wouldn't be blamed if he failed but he would get a great deal of personal gratification if he was successful. That's the real reason he took the role at this stage. Ego.

I don't see it that way. I think he'd have preferred not to get involved but probably felt pressured to go up and try to save them. It's been said before but probably a way of getting the pressure to finally go away. If they get relegated, he can leave knowing that his name won't come up every time the incumbent manager isn't doing well. I suspect he likes the lifestyle of the punditry (sp?) and only took started his badges as an insurance policy in case the BBC started making cutbacks. His biggest worry would be if he saved Newcastle in style. As it is, if he just squeaks them into 17th he can still walk away. Although I'm not sure who would come in.

What's the difference between Newcastle and Alan Shearer?

Shearer will appear on MOTD next season.

:lol: Very good.

I get the feeling he's gonna stay on though.

I don't.

Btw, Everton 1-0 Sunderland. Wrong place but timely.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
I think Shearer took the Newcastle job on the current basis knowing he was in a no lose situation.

If he kept them up, he'd helped the Club he loved and his legendary status on Tyneside would be enhanced ten fold.

If he didn't, well no-one could really blame him for that, and he could always retreat back to the comfort of the MOTD studios if required.

It will be interesting to see if he takes the job permanently if they go down. If he does, all due respect to him.

If he doesn't, where do the Geordie faithful go from there? They've tried Messiahs one and two Keegan and Shearer and they've both failed.

Oh dear what a shame never mind!

:lol:

Strong rumours suggest it's a dream team of Ant n Dec, Cheryl Cole and Gazza to take the helm next season.

Sir Bobby quite outspoken on the mess at Newcastle. Quite damning on the recruitment side of things.

Nolan lacks mobility in an important area of the pitch, just what Newcastle didn't need!

Peter Lovenkrands was also signed. OK, he didn't cost any money, but that doesn't matter because he simply isn't good enough at Premier League level.

Colloccini would have struggled to get into Newcastle's reserves a few years ago.

Article here: I have watched in disbelief and near horror at some of the things that have gone on at Newcastle in the past year.

Ooof - More punch than Manny. Tells it like it is!

• Backroom

Not seen anything from Newcastle to suggest they will stay up. Their only saving grace is the shocking form of Hull and Sunderland... but they don't have the luxury of just relying on other teams to stay up, like we have, they actually need to pull themselves out of the mire.

I don't think they've got enough heart to do it. Soulless team that seems destined for the drop.

Barton 'stupidity' riles Shearer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ted/8031815.stm

I fully expected Newcastle to survive until I read this. It appears Shearer, instead of engendering a Ferguson style backs against the wall 'world's out to get us' mentality, is more concerned with pandering to the Kop (Wasn't he angling for a move to Anfield when he was big mates with Ruddock?) and preserving his sepia tinted media image.

Big mistake.

Once a general turns on his own troops, he's forfeited all actual and moral authority to lead his men.

• Backroom

Yes, he has no right to say he's disappointed with a two footed lunge that left the team with ten-men and no hope of getting anything from the game. Not only this, but Barton's now not available for the rest of the season. But Shearer should have argued in Barton's favour. You're absolutely right.

Yes, he has no right to say he's disappointed with a two footed lunge that left the team with ten-men and no hope of getting anything from the game. Not only this, but Barton's now not available for the rest of the season. But Shearer should have argued in Barton's favour. You're absolutely right.

That was Shearer the BBC pundit talking.

Shearer the Newcastle manager should have kept criticism of his players in-house.

• Backroom

He didn't critcise "players", he critisised Barton, and rightly so. He'll be playing no part in future matches and will be sold in the summer- why not have a pop at him? I seriously doubt it can make the Newcastle players play any worse than they have been. Joey Barton won't have that much influence over the club - I would be stunned if he was that loved in their dressing room.

Shearer has the balls to actually critisise a player for doing something that could cost the club their premier league status and he's wrong? Not only that, but all he said was that he was "bitterly disappointed" ... was that a huge revelation? Were people shocked to hear that, expecting him to be delighted with Barton's commitment?

FFS. :rolleyes:

Frankly it may be the best thing that happens to Newcastle if they go down. It would stop the ridiculous and completely unfounded high expectations of the fans. I know they like to think of themselves as the best fans in the world but frankly they need to shoulder as much of the blame as anyone - too many people have pandered to them and I think that's contributed to the fact that the managers job is a poison chalice unless you are a "Geordie Legend ". Going down may actually allow a young and upcoming manager the chance to build the foundations again instead of trying to buy instant success.

Honestly not fussed if we go down.

All I hope is Kinnear doesn't come back in any capacity.

I'd rather go down and keep Shearer, than stay up and have Kinnear back.

By some margin too.

Think that says it all, really.

Scathing article in the Guardian.

Shearer was presumably out injured when we won 2-1 at Anfield in the early '90s?

Reading the comments posted below brings up the question what would Sam Allardyce have done if he hadnt had big Samba in his ranks, would Rovers have continued to struggle and subsequently drop out of the premier league due to Big Sams high ball tactics.

Having said that it would be a shame for Rovers not to play Newcastle at Ewood next season as its always been one of the more attractive premier league fixtures.

Reading the comments posted below brings up the question what would Sam Allardyce have done if he hadnt had big Samba in his ranks, would Rovers have continued to struggle and subsequently drop out of the premier league due to Big Sams high ball tactics.

Having said that it would be a shame for Rovers not to play Newcastle at Ewood next season as its always been one of the more attractive premier league fixtures.

And without them we'll lose 6 points a season!

Guest Kamy100

I think that despite the results that they have had, Shearer still has a fighting chance, their next two games are at home. I think that they will beat Boro and then turn over a Fulham. That will take them to 37 points. They then face Villa away in their last game which is a game that could go either way. What is in Newcastle's favour is that I cannot see Hull or Sunderland picking up 3 points each. We need to get to 38/39 points as soon as possible.

Reading the comments posted below brings up the question what would Sam Allardyce have done if he hadnt had big Samba in his ranks, would Rovers have continued to struggle and subsequently drop out of the premier league due to Big Sams high ball tactics

"If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?"

In the summer I couldn't believe that Shearer was the fans' and JW's choice and even now I struggle to believe it even more. We laugh at Newcastle for appointing the man but there were many, many people on here who lost control of their own senses at the time sufficiently to support the appointment of a man with zero experience. Hell he would have been a worse appointment than Ince - whether he would have done even worse in the job is a moot point but at least Ince, nonsensical appointment though he was, had some experience.

I would say thank God he turned us down, but considering who we got I'd say it wouldnt have made that much difference.

I think that despite the results that they have had, Shearer still has a fighting chance, their next two games are at home. I think that they will beat Boro and then turn over a Fulham. That will take them to 37 points. They then face Villa away in their last game which is a game that could go either way. What is in Newcastle's favour is that I cannot see Hull or Sunderland picking up 3 points each. We need to get to 38/39 points as soon as possible.

Personally I think that the Boro look more likely to win at St James than Newcastle. At least,even if they are hopeless, they look like they still want to stay up.

Guest Vinjay606

Shearer is making Barton a scapegoat while trying to deflect attention away from his team's (and his own tactics) incompetent display. The sending off had no impact on the result.

Shearer is making Barton a scapegoat while trying to deflect attention away from his team's (and his own tactics) incompetent display. The sending off had no impact on the result.

No it didn't impact this game, but he would've been a useful player for them in the remaining three games. Now that option is gone for them.

Not that I'm complaining about it - will be ace if they went down!

Frankly it may be the best thing that happens to Newcastle if they go down. It would stop the ridiculous and completely unfounded high expectations of the fans. I know they like to think of themselves as the best fans in the world but frankly they need to shoulder as much of the blame as anyone - too many people have pandered to them and I think that's contributed to the fact that the managers job is a poison chalice unless you are a "Geordie Legend ". Going down may actually allow a young and upcoming manager the chance to build the foundations again instead of trying to buy instant success.

it wont stop the fervour of the fans expectations.

Dont you know, IF Barcodes go down, they will be promoted at the first opportunity, they wont lose a game, they will score 3 goals per gmae without conceding, they will set a new goals for and points record for the Championship, they will have 55000 at each home game, will sell out away ticket allocations, will still take the Carling Cup and will easily reach the semi finals of the FA Cup, beating Premiership clubs out of sight. They will also set a new record for shirt sales, season tickets and club shop sales as they take over from the original BIG CLUB - Birmingham City.

Its their mentality and it WONT ever change. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest Vinjay606

The key is finding the right mentality balance. Newcastle fans have a champions league mindset at a club that has remained stuck in midtable for the past few seasons. BRFC fans have a somewhat parochial, possibly championship/league 1 mindset I've criticised on here and 606. They key is finding a balance between the 2.

Archived