Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan Preview

Robinson

Ooijer Nelsen Samba Givet

Grella

Dunn Tugay Warnock

Diouf

Benni

I think this is the best possible line up. Experience at the back, midfield and up front. Dunn, Tugay and Warnock will give us some momentum going forward. People tend to forget that Diouf is actually a striker, and played there for Senegal.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
killer blow.

I'm trying to be positive but I just can't see how we're going to do it. You can't win games without goals, and Benni is not a one-man type of striker.

Yes no one wants to rely on other teams, but realistically I think the best we can hope for is a draw and for Pompey to hold Newcastle.

I agree. It looked as if Rovers were aiming for a nil-nil with Stoke last week. I'm not sure much has changed. I would like to see us go for a win...but we'd need to score a goal to do that...so. I'm predicting a 1-0 loss. I hope I'm wrong. I also don't imagine BS giving Carlos a start...I'm a little surpised that others foresee that happening.

Guest Vinjay606

Maybe his plan is to show no ambition at away games but play 2-2-6 at Ewood.

I think BFS will show a different mentality tomorrow. If he dosen't then the players should take it upon themselves to ignore him and show some killer instinct. They showed that in the last home game anyway.

• Backroom

We won't start tomorrow's game as we did against Stoke and Liverpool, I'm sure of it.

Fingers crossed for this one, a win is what we need, a draw is just about acceptable and a loss keeps us deep in the brown stuff.

Going to be positive and go for a 2-1, Benni and Diouf to score for us.

Come on Rovers :rover:

Fellow fans, forget any notion of a McCarthy and Diouf front partnership.

If anyone is to partner him it has to MGP.

Why ?

MGP is good in the air and as a forward he wont have to be doing too much back tracking their right winger or roght midfield.

He has an awesome shot and alongside a player like McCarthy, who can actually create a scoring chance, he might just break that goal drought.

Diouf has to be right side of a midfield diamond.

Warnock has to be the left side.

Central wise from Grella/Tugay/Dunny.

Looking at the potential Wigan team, they are going to play 4-4-2. Rovers have to match it.

Givet may well have his hands full with Valencia, Nelsen with Zaki. For me, the battle is between Grella and Cattermole (or whichever Rover has the central berth).

I forsee a fast opening 15 minutes where Rovers will try and score. If they dont I would expect them to regroup and try and hold for the second half. The problems begin IF we again concede first and how many times have we done this at Ewood this year ?

If Wigan score then they will just shut up shop leaving us chasing. Then they will just hit on the break.

I have a sneaky feeling the home game versus Stoke might just be a reminder of tomorrow game. A dodgy 10 minutes then crash bang wallop, game over.

Am liking the team 1864, and it means we can play with a competent full back in ooijer, as well as not having benni isolated. However I think a midfield from grella/dunn/tugs is too fragile and unfit. I'd go with grella and either moko/andrews to start bringing on dunn as an impact substitute.

• Backroom

I would be shocked if MGP is started up front. More chance of Diouf being up there than MGP, regardless of whether that's the right or wrong decision. Considering Pedersen hasn't really shown us much of his "awesome" shooting in a while, putting him in a striker's role would be.... risky.

Thing is, with our squad being as thin as it is with injuries and dire back up, even an out of form pedersen is still an automatic choice. He works hard defensively, can head a ball, and has a long throw. Oh and he still can welly a ball, but the accuracy and confidence to do seem to have gone.

Now I'd like to point out that this is not my wish list for my ideal left mid. In fact it's not my wish list of rovers standard of a left mid. However, he's offering two or three things more than a fair few of our squad at the present AND he hasn't a massive drawback to playing him either (like the axe's passing, andrew's headless chicken moments, simpson's general play).

If we play Pedersen at left mid, warnock can be the all action midfielder in the centre, leaving grella and dunn to complete 90 mins between them passing it around. But that means either Diouf or Samba has to go up front, which leaves us with the problem of having no right mid or no right back.

The more I think on it Sam's going to have to think really hard to get a winning combo out of our squad, but I've a sneaking suspicion he's going to do it.

I think to win tomorrow we need to start with Grella and Dunn in midfield, one ball winner and two players who have the technical skills to pass the ball around (this would be nice to see!). My team would be:

Robinson

ooijer Nelsen Samba Givet

Dunn Grella Warnock

Diouf Benni MGP

Our a combination involving those players, effectively 5/6 from midfield onwards are attacking players and will give us a good chance to break down a good Wigan team.

I think to win tomorrow we need to start with Grella and Dunn in midfield, one ball winner and two players who have the technical skills to pass the ball around (this would be nice to see!). My team would be:

Robinson

ooijer Nelsen Samba Givet

Dunn Grella Warnock

Diouf Benni MGP

Our a combination involving those players, effectively 5/6 from midfield onwards are attacking players and will give us a good chance to break down a good Wigan team.

Problem is imy that Allardyce's penchant for the long ball will render the attacking players useless as there is no physical presence to hold the ball.

To me, he has to change to 4-4-2 and that means Diouf partnering McCarthy, Dunn on the right, MGP on the left and Warnock and Tugay in the middle. Warnock can be Tugay's 'legs' and Tugay can ensure that we build play rather than hoofing it long and that gives the two up front a chance.

Back four is Ooijer, Samba, Nelsen and Givet leaving theoption for Samba to go up front if needed late on.

If we line up 4-3-3 I fear for us.

IMO the reason we have been so toothless in the last couple of games is that we are playing to play too direct without the players to do so. Not having Roberts in particular means we have to change the way we play if we want to be more threatening (we can still play direct but not as often). Even with the players we have missing, we can still cause Wigan problems.

Wigan's form has been indifferent recently and we need the win more. If we can keep 11 men on the pitch, have the right attitude and work our as*es off, we won't lose.

Just been on a wigan forum to have a look at ticket sales. Apparently out of 2900 tickets they sent back 300, which will be on sale on the day for their fans.

Also saw this - anyone else heard anything??

"I wouldn't go to the Fernhurst if I were you, the new owners have decided to ban away fans, it is now a home fans only pub.

There has been damage in the past which has prompted this change, the police will direct you to to the Brown Cow on Livesey Branch Road which they have negotiated with the landlord to be an away pub."

Who is going to score for us is the question on everyones lips!

Midfielders, that's who.

It's time MGP got his shooting boots on. Dunny can score goals and so can Andrews and Diouf.

So these are the guys we are relying on to take the weight off Benni.

There's also Oojier and Warnock and maybe it's time for a first goal from Monsieur Givet.

I think we should go for this from the off. Get Dunn and Tugay in the team, players who can actually pass the ball about and get after Wigan.

As a striker myself, I would be ###### of by the supply of service in recent games. As we are the home team and a win would really get us out of the ######, we need to capitalize. If we stick one upfront and play this long ball crap then benni is just going to get swallowed up by the defence. Stick 2 or 3 up there and lets get about them. Get the ball on the deck in midfield and lets do the business!

I've got a lot of money on Pedersen to score. He's going to do it this week. I seen the volley he scored against Wigan a few seasons ago earlier, what a goal that was! Another one of those will do just fine.

'Biggest game since VE Day' 1864 said on another thread. That's some statement. However I reckon he's well on the money. Win this and we're not far away from securing safety. Draw and we're in the mix. Lose and the probability that we need to go to Chelsea and get something increases. I woke up at 5.00 yesterday and 6.00 today, that's not good is it? Clearly I'm not drinking enough. Either that or the pressure is well and truly on.

It isn't going to be pretty, that's blatantly clear, how can it be with only one "fit" striker?. Let's all take a deep breath, gird our loins, keep your head and sing your bloody hearts out to get the three points.

Well done to the club by the way on the Darwen End initiative. Should make a for a cracking atmosphere - hopefully.

We must go with two upfront:

Robinson

Ooijer - Nelsen - Zurab - Warnock

Diouff - Grella - Andrews - Pedersen

McCarthy - Samba

"I wouldn't go to the Fernhurst if I were you, the new owners have decided to ban away fans, it is now a home fans only pub.

There has been damage in the past which has prompted this change, the police will direct you to to the Brown Cow on Livesey Branch Road which they have negotiated with the landlord to be an away pub."

I'd be very surprised for a number of reasons if that's true Hughesy.

'Biggest game since VE Day' 1864 said on another thread. That's some statement. However I reckon he's well on the money. Win this and we're not far away from securing safety. Draw and we're in the mix. Lose and the probability that we need to go to Chelsea and get something increases. I woke up at 5.00 yesterday and 6.00 today, that's not good is it? Clearly I'm not drinking enough. Either that or the pressure is well and truly on.

It isn't going to be pretty, that's blatantly clear, how can it be with only one "fit" striker?. Let's all take a deep breath, gird our loins, keep your head and sing your bloody hearts out to get the three points.

Well done to the club by the way on the Darwen End initiative. Should make a for a cracking atmosphere - hopefully.

We must go with two upfront:

Robinson

Ooijer - Nelsen - Zurab - Warnock

Diouff - Grella - Andrews - Pedersen

McCarthy - Samba

No Givet, Dunn or Tugay? I hope not

Guest Kamy100

Huge game, especially with the results yesterday, hopefully Arsenal can beat Boro at lunchtime, although don't know what type of team they will put out ahead of the champions league on Wednesday as effectively they have nothing to play for in the league now.

As for the team dependent on fitness would like to see:

Robinson

Oijer Nelson Samba Givet

Diouf - Grella - Tuguy - Dunn - MGP

Benni

OR if Dunn is not fit

Robinson

Oijer Nelson Samba Givet

Diouf - Grella - Tuguy - MGP

Carlos

Benni

Huge game, especially with the results yesterday, hopefully Arsenal can beat Boro at lunchtime, although don't know what type of team they will put out ahead of the champions league on Wednesday as effectively they have nothing to play for in the league now.

As for the team dependent on fitness would like to see:

Robinson

Oijer Nelson Samba Givet

Diouf - Grella - Tuguy - Dunn - MGP

Benni

OR if Dunn is not fit

Robinson

Oijer Nelson Samba Givet

Diouf - Grella - Tuguy - MGP

Carlos

Benni

I don't think he'll play Benni as the lone front man again. Suspect Samba will play up front today. Would like to give Carlos a chance though

Robinson

Ooijer Nelsen Zurab Givet

Dunn Grella Warnock Diouf

Benni Samba

Or

Robinson

Ooijer Nelsen Givet Warnock

Diouf Dunn Grella Gamst

Benni Samba

Or

Robinson

Ooijer Nelsen Samba Givet

Dunn Grella Warnock Gamst

Diouf

Benni

Just been on a wigan forum to have a look at ticket sales. Apparently out of 2900 tickets they sent back 300, which will be on sale on the day for their fans.

It could be a Pie Eater being a bit silly, or looking for a ruck. However it could be true...the landlord of the Brown cow is a big Manc fan and makes it a Man Utd pub when we play them at ewood.

No Givet, Dunn or Tugay? I hope not

Bloody hell. How could I forget Givet! Obviously it was too early, good job Sam isn't me and picks the team at 6.30am on a Sunday. In which case I'd have Andrews on the bench and Warnock in midfield and the bearded Frenchman at left back. Dunny and Tugay can wait until the second half, I doubt we'll start off with free flowing football that builds from the back via the midfield, even if they did start.

Archived