BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn 3-2 Dingles

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But then we're not terrified of losing.

no you pillock your not afraid of losing to us because its ingrained in your history isnt it over the last 30 years.

!!!!!YOUR NOT AFRAID TO LOSE TO US BECAUSE YOUR BLOODY USED TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

In the FA cup 6th Round 1960 Rovers and Burnley played each other home and away in the space of just four days.The total attendance for the two games was over 104,000 :wacko:

Do any board members remember these two games,Fife? Al?..........

I seem to remember Fife telling a tale about those games.

Perhaps some of the board members who actually remember those days when the two teams played on a level footing in the top flight can pass on some of their memories? They would all have to above fifty or so at least I would suspect. Far too long without having top-flight derbies in East Lancs. For most of us this is first ever opportunity to see one.

I seem to remember Fife telling a tale about those games.

Perhaps some of the board members who actually remember those days when the two teams played on a level footing in the top flight can pass on some of their memories? They would all have to above fifty or so at least I would suspect. Far too long without having top-flight derbies in East Lancs. For most of us this is first ever opportunity to see one.

I was there at both matches but can't remember much about the second game except that we won 2 nil. In the first leg at Turf Moor we were three down, one of the goals being scored by John Connelly, who later played for Rovers. We were all feeling well beaten when we got a penalty and then from out of a ruck of muddy players on the Burnley penalty spot Mick McGrath toe ended a shot which went in. I was at the back of the crowd with my dad, struggling to get a view and I'm not sure who scored the other goal to make it three all. It's all become a bit vague now but thats what I remember of it.

Maybe Bazza or Jim will remember it better.

So the sold out signs are up a week before the game,Rovers have been justified in their decision to give our lessers only 3,000 tickets......NOW GET THE BLOODY REST OF THE DARWEN END ON SALE!!!

100% AGREE. :brfc:

There may be a few left in the family stand though, but this will be cause of the restrictions in there. I would be satisfied even if they just released a few hundred for sale in the Darren End. You're not telling me they wouldn't sell!

100% AGREE. :brfc:

There may be a few left in the family stand though, but this will be cause of the restrictions in there. I would be satisfied even if they just released a few hundred for sale in the Darren End. You're not telling me they wouldn't sell!

They wouldn't sell.

A few hundred more tickets wouldn't sell with a week still to go - are you for real?

At £35 a ticket, I don't know- but that is the price Rovers would have to sell them at or give all the dingles a rebate.

Let's see how the season tickets and corporate deals move this week. One is four times more expensive than a single Darwen End ticket and the other twice as expensive.

I was there at both matches but can't remember much about the second game except that we won 2 nil. In the first leg at Turf Moor we were three down, one of the goals being scored by John Connelly, who later played for Rovers. We were all feeling well beaten when we got a penalty and then from out of a ruck of muddy players on the Burnley penalty spot Mick McGrath toe ended a shot which went in. I was at the back of the crowd with my dad, struggling to get a view and I'm not sure who scored the other goal to make it three all. It's all become a bit vague now but thats what I remember of it.

Maybe Bazza or Jim will remember it better.

We were 3-0 down in the first leg with goals from Pilkington, McIlroy and Connelly and only 15 minutes left. A large number of the Rovers supporters had left the ground, thinking it was all over. A penalty for hand ball was given against Elder and my good friend, Bryan Douglas brought the score back to 3-1. 3 minutes later, Peter Dobing unleased a terrific shot from 25 yards out that Adam Blacklaw never saw.There were only 4 minutes left when Ronnie Clayton forced his way forward and shot at goal which hit a wall of defenders. The ball fell at the feet of Mick McGrath, who swung at the ball which hit the inside of the post and rolled into the net. 3-3. What a come back.The replay, 4 days later before a crowd of nearly 54,000 saw Peter Dobing and Ally "Noddy" McLeod score twice in extra time to take us to the Semi-final against Sheffield Wednesday.

the replay was an amazing night at Ewood. Full to the rafters with the official crowd at 54,000 but was many more than that. I queued at about 6 for the 730 kickoff and I have never been as frightened getting in to the ground as I was that night. I was 12 at the time and was trying to get into the Blackburn End but the queue was about 5 deep all trying to get into the turnstiles. I admit to using my elbow at times as the crush was horrendous.Finally got in and with nowhere to stand I went over the wall and finished up quite near to the tunnel area. A great view. The noise and excitement were immense. I remember the claret and blue balloons in the Darwen End but their fans were generally quiet all game. the 2 goals were fantastic.Then onto the semi at Maine Road in front of 74,000! We beat Sheff Wed 2-1 to reach Wembley. Great days. Not as great as 1995 though and the prem years. Amazingly the crowds we get now are so much higher than back then. We are still a club with a great history of which we should all be proud.Pundits now talk of Chelsea or Arsenal or City or Liverpool but we as a small town club have a rich heritage to be proud of.

A few hundred more tickets wouldn't sell with a week still to go - are you for real?

Go on then ... enlighten us all. On what evidence do you base your assertion that they could shift another couple of hundred tickets. Here's why I don't think they could:-

1) On Friday evening there were five tickets remaining. On Saturday they sold four of these, leaving one solitary ticket in the JW lower (it's still there). Why wasn't this seat snapped up by the hoards of eligable ticket hungry fans you allude to?

2) Anecdotal evidence. I do not know of any Rovers fan, either directly or indirectly, who wants to go to the game, who doesn't yet have a ticket.

3) They probably could sell-out the entire section if they lifted the buying restrictions ... but I bet you a pound to a penny there would be more than the average number of digits on the hands of the fans in that section!

At £35 a ticket, I don't know- but that is the price Rovers would have to sell them at or give all the dingles a rebate.

Let's see how the season tickets and corporate deals move this week. One is four times more expensive than a single Darwen End ticket and the other twice as expensive.

This has to be the one game, where fans of both teams will not be bothered about the price of a ticket. Or am i wrong in my thinking?

In the FA cup 6th Round 1960 Rovers and Burnley played each other home and away in the space of just four days.The total attendance for the two games was over 104,000 wacko.gif

Do any board members remember these two games,Fife? Al?..........

Yep! I wuz there for both. Two fantastic games. For the first at Burnley, I left in what I thought was ample time to drive the few miles and get parked, perhaps have a pint and stroll down to the ground......NO CHANCE!! I ran into the back of a queue of traffic from somewhere between Hapton and Rosegrove, and from there on it was inching along all the way. I finished up getting on about 15 mins into the match and stuck at the back of the Longside. Then to crown it all it looked like Rovers were going out of the 6th round as with only around 20 mins to go we were losing 3-0, but then what a comeback! Rovers got a penalty for handball in the area and Duggie stuck it away. About 5 mins later Peter Dobing hit a terrific right foot shot that flew into the net, and then it was absolutely ALL Rovers with Burnley at panic stations. With only 2 or 3 mins left Mick McGrath (our left half who didn't score many) swung a boot at it and it was 3-3!! Replay at Ewood on the following Monday night.

For the replay at Ewood I made damned sure I was there in plenty of time and went staight down from work without bothering with any tea, and was rewarded with a place quite near the front of the queue for the BBE, so was able to get my favorite spot. Lucky that I did because there were well over 50,000 on Ewood that night.

Rovers were all over them with Duggie especially having a great game. But in spite of this we just could not get a goal with Burnley defending really well and their keeper stopping everything we threw at him. So it went to extra time, and then whether Burnley tired or Rovers found another gear I cant really remember but it resulted in Dobing scoring and then Noddy McCleod getting the winner, and we were into the semi final against Sheff Wed. Oh the ecstacy! Little did we know what was to come when we reached the final, but that is another story and has been well aired on her many times before. The bitterness never goes away though!

Go on then ... enlighten us all. On what evidence do you base your assertion that they could shift another couple of hundred tickets. Here's why I don't think they could:-

1) On Friday evening there were five tickets remaining. On Saturday they sold four of these, leaving one solitary ticket in the JW lower (it's still there). Why wasn't this seat snapped up by the hoards of eligable ticket hungry fans you allude to?

2) Anecdotal evidence. I do not know of any Rovers fan, either directly or indirectly, who wants to go to the game, who doesn't yet have a ticket.

3) They probably could sell-out the entire section if they lifted the buying restrictions ... but I bet you a pound to a penny there would be more than the average number of digits on the hands of the fans in that section!

In all fairness sitting in the Darwen End would appeal to a lot more people than sitting in the JW. Not that it effects me either way as I'll be in the B'Burn End as usual.

There is no EVIDENCE one way or the other on how many would sell if they released more for the Darwen End... How can you prove something that hasn't happened? Whether they sold 5 or 500 it would be better than selling none at-all! :huh: If there was still hundreds/thousands unsold in the JW you may have a point and I would agree with you completely!

With a week to go the East Lancs Derby build up startedtoday on SKY. Jimmy Mcillroy was interviewed and stated that all week Burnley used to build themselves up but on match day always let themselves down.

That smacks of an inferiority complex my dingle friends.

Also noticed that Burnley have a legends bar at the ground, what legends would that be then ?

Cant imagine Mcillroy being happy stood next to John Bond and Mandy Gayton and Jimmy Mukken and the like !!

Archived