BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

I'm thinking on the same lines as Dreams. It's the nuclear option, nuke it and start again. The alternatives are these 12 leveraging more money and power somehow whether it be the ESL or concessions by UEFA. So cut them off. See how they cope without the rest of the pyramid to poach players from or send their academy kids on loan to at a cost. 

It would be great if the gov would put up funds to help the pyramid restructure and downscale to get back to a new normal. It would be a huge vote winner so not something to rule out, imagine Boris being able to boast about saving football. Excluding the prem it would be peanuts in the scheme of things. It would be chaos but everyone would be in the same boat. One club having to slim down is bad but if every club has to, that puts a massive downward pressure on wages and other costs that hopefully we'd come out relatively unscathed. 

• Like 1

Is a business in which between 2000 to 50000 paying customers come through the gates fortnightly (and that’s before hospitality, sponsors etc) sustainable? Of course.

But without doubt a ‘re-set’ of the game in which TV money is greatly reduced would leave a smouldering wreckage of insolvencies in the short to medium term, pretty much all due to the absolutely ridiculous wages paid out, often to bang average footballers.

12 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The current model is unsustainable, with players demanding 500k a week becoming a regular news story. It cannot be allowed to go on like this even if this ESL does not go ahead.

I agree with your vision but I don't think it will happen.

I fear the clubs bemoaning the greed of the big 6 will suddenly change their tune when there is only £X amount of money left in the UK game, and that money is being divided up between the 86 football league teams. I think your Evertons and your Crystal Palaces that are speaking out about this now will suddenly go quiet once their income has dropped and when they realise that if other clubs go bust they will be able to get a bigger share of £X.  Do you think Burnley's new owners would care? Do you think Venkys would care?

I don't see a total reset for a long time. I see the Super 6 dining at an elite table, whilst the rest of the clubs ultimately will turn on each other and scavenge for whatever money is left over.

Edited by Hasta

18 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Is a business in which between 2000 to 50000 paying customers come through the gates fortnightly (and that’s before hospitality, sponsors etc) sustainable? Of course.

But without doubt a ‘re-set’ of the game in which TV money is greatly reduced would leave a smouldering wreckage of insolvencies in the short to medium term, pretty much all due to the absolutely ridiculous wages paid out, often to bang average footballers.

With the combined financial powers of UEFA, fifa and all respective football associations / governments such an organisational restructure should be possible. It is whether they want to put their money where their mouth is. I suspect that is where we will fall short. 

As said though, it the money drains from football, in the long term those ridiculous wages could not be demanded because the supply simply isn’t there. 

17 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I fear the clubs bemoaning the greed of the big 6 will suddenly change their tune when there is only £X amount of money left in the UK game, and that money is being divided up between the 86 football league teams. I think your Evertons and your Crystal Palaces that are speaking out about this now will suddenly go quiet once their income has dropped and when they realise that if other clubs go bust they will be able to get a bigger share of £X.  Do you think Burnley's new owners would care? Do you think Venkys would care?

I don't see a total reset for a long time. I see the Super 6 dining at an elite table, whilst the rest of the clubs ultimately will turn on each other and scavenge for whatever money is left over.

I can only say I hope you are wrong but I do think I am being an idealist 

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

The problem is the money would drain quickly and clubs would have to readjust quickly. If Villa's TV rights were halved over the next 2 years they would have serious financial problems and could well go bust. With the knock on effect as could Burnley, Rovers, Blackpool or Morecambe.

This has been rumoured for a while. Who is to say that the Sky / BT Sport, Bein Sport, Canal Sport etc.. TV contracts for the Premier don't have a clause saying that if any clubs walk away the contract can be re-negotiated.

If it goes ahead, the 12 become untouchably richer, some of the rest of the UK teams will sink to a more palatable financial level and some of the others will go bust.

@Wheelton Blue asks "I wonder what Burnley's owners are thinking" . Probably thinking that if this happens we can't get our money back, so do we cut our losses and pull the plug. Which may well be the same as Venkys and many, many other owners outside the big 5 and Spurs.

Burnley's Yank Mormon owners?.....Get their money back?.....It was a loan purchase, leveraged against the assets of Burnley FC!...They put zilch money in, never mind looking to get anything back from the 'purchase'!

There's a whole bunch of claret and blue clad Latter Day Saints in Salt Lake City growing additional digits, counting their brass, voting to ban the sale of ale at Turf Moor and have at long last cancelled the long standing order to terrace Pendle Hill.

The pendulum's gonna swing, ain't it great!

WATR!!!!

• Like 1

Guardiola: ‘ Sport is not a sport when the relationship between effort and success does not exist. It is not a sport if you can't lose. It's not fair if a team fights to get to the top and success is only guaranteed for some. It's not sport if it doesn't matter if you lose. I've said many times I want the best competition as possible. It's not fair if teams fight at the top and cannot qualify.'

Either he’s thinking of walking or he’s got the nod from Abu Dhabi to commence Operation U-Turn

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Burnley's Yank Mormon owners?.....Get their money back?.....It was a loan purchase, leveraged against the assets of Burnley FC!...They put zilch money in, never mind looking to get anything back from the 'purchase'!

There's a whole bunch of claret and blue clad Latter Day Saints in Salt Lake City growing additional digits, counting their brass, voting to ban the sale of ale at Turf Moor and have at long last cancelled the long standing order to terrace Pendle Hill.

WATR!!!!

Yep, best case scenario is the 6 come back in with a more leveraged position  in relation to TV money.  The income will be seriously reduced i think in the coming seasons.

Rumours on twitter that one of the big 6 is getting cold feed and starting to wobble. Wonder who it is. 

Ruling out Spurs and Arsenal, they need the money and the status. Utd have ridden out worse so between city Liverpool and Chelsea for me. 

I am not at all in favour of "letting them go". The goal should be the cancellation of the super league. If it goes ahead it will ruin football forever. I think that the super league boffins are banking on fan feelings of apathy and resignation to get it through.

If the English clubs stay in the Prem the best other clubs can hope for is to finish 7th every season. I read yesterday that the ESL are offering 4 times the money than what current Champs League teams get. There's no way that the rest can compete against that level of spending capabilities.

The sheer arrogance on show from the rebel clubs is astounding. Here's an extract from an ESPN article; Man United, Man City players voice Super League concerns to clubs - sources (espn.co.uk)

Sources have told ESPN the club plan to present evidence that early rounds of existing European football are "stale and predictable," backed up with stadium attendances and TV viewing figures.

There is a belief that the only way forward is to allow the biggest teams to play each other more regularly rather than just during the final weeks of the season.

What is more predictable than the same teams playing each other all the time without fear of missing out? It beggars belief that club hierarchies think like that.

Anyone associated with Spurs and Arsenal should be embarrassed to go outside. There is nothing super about those two teams. City and Chelsea are only in this position due to billionaire owners who trapped up less than 20 years ago. The Glazers have been waiting for this since 2005, and Liverpool's owners know how to make money so are rubbing their hands with glee.

The match going fan is the one who will get royally screwed if the super league goes ahead. That's why the UK government needs to make it clear that it won't be worth it for the rebel clubs to go.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Silas said:

The galacticos!! 

This is why I think it had been pushed. Even with the current model being in their favour many of these clubs aren't getting the success that they want. Rather than earn it they want to sneak it in. 

Money and fear, that's what this is about and there is a lot of fear involved. After all how many plastics will stay if they continue not to win or be in the limelight. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

WATR!!!!

Ha ha ha brilliant Nick, spat me brew out when I read this.

31 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Guardiola: ‘ Sport is not a sport when the relationship between effort and success does not exist. It is not a sport if you can't lose. It's not fair if a team fights to get to the top and success is only guaranteed for some. It's not sport if it doesn't matter if you lose. I've said many times I want the best competition as possible. It's not fair if teams fight at the top and cannot qualify.'

Either he’s thinking of walking or he’s got the nod from Abu Dhabi to commence Operation U-Turn

17 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Rumours on twitter that one of the big 6 is getting cold feed and starting to wobble. Wonder who it is. 

Ruling out Spurs and Arsenal, they need the money and the status. Utd have ridden out worse so between city Liverpool and Chelsea for me. 

Neville was making the point on Sky last night that City's owners, if any, were the ones most likely to back out on sporting grounds. It's highly unlikely they got into football to make additional billions. And it sounded on Sunday like they were the last to commit.

26 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

The Times has picked this up; 1 Big Six club thinking about backing out - subscription required for non savvy types

9 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Neville was making the point on Sky last night that City's owners, if any, were the ones most likely to back out on sporting grounds. It's highly unlikely they got into football to make additional billions. And it sounded on Sunday like they were the last to commit.

City would be a logical choice given that they weren't listed on early reports, Guardiola's statement earlier, and the fact that Abu Dhabi got into football to aid their political legitimacy. They don't need the money, and siding with fans won't hurt that premise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

Agree but its the English game not uk game

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

Agree but its the English game not uk game

Cardiff, Newport and Swansea disagree.

But point taken. I'm writing on here whilst trying to work you know !

Edited by Hasta

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Brentford should come look at ours, its frickin massive....although Mogadon would have you believe the opposite 

Twice you've made me spit my brew out you bastard! 🤣. So true though, what fecking planet are they on?....More to the point, do they think that we all believe the Moon is made out of Black Sticks Blue with a tinge of Stilton?

ESL match commentary in the not too distant future?

And there we have it folks, the first quarter of Real Madrid v Liverpool.

Real used four Coca Cola Time Outs and have 3 remaining. Liverpool’s offensive trio have been unbelievable against the defensive quarterback starlet, Valverde.

Coach Gerard will be happy with his team’s performance but must be ruing the missed opportunity of signing Valverde during this seasons Sony Entertainment Draft.

We’ll be back with you after commercials and we have entertainment from Lil Nas who will be performing his new hit, ‘Controversial’ in front of the packed crowd here in Doha. 

You’re watching the AT&T & JP Morgan European Super League bought you by ESPN. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

James Corden - now a big US TV star - opened his show last night with a rant at the super league;

James Corden Is Against the Super League Proposal - YouTube

He has an audience that has no idea about football nor do they care but fair paly to him for doing it.

Saaakkkkeeer.