BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackpool Versus Blackburn Rovers

Thank XXXXXXX for that! (no need for that!)

I can now walk down J Block, Lytham St Annes on Monday morning with my head held high!

I honestly thought we was going to capitulate in the second half as usual but Robot came up with the good's right at the end, I didn't think he was offside as it looked to me like he was running back onside and not interfering with play or whatever the rule says...

1 Chelsea 6 3 0 0 12 0 2 0 1 9 2 19 15

2 Arsenal 6 2 0 1 12 4 1 2 0 4 3 9 11

3 Man Utd 5 3 0 0 9 2 0 2 0 5 5 7 11

4 Man City 6 2 1 0 5 1 1 1 1 2 1 5 11

5 West Brom 6 2 1 0 5 2 1 0 2 3 9 -3 10

6 Fulham 6 1 2 0 4 3 0 3 0 3 3 1 8

7 Tottenham 6 1 1 1 3 2 1 1 1 3 3 1 8

8 Blackburn 6 1 1 1 3 3 1 1 1 4 4 0 8

9 Newcastle 5 1 0 1 6 2 1 1 1 2 4 2 7

10 Sunderland 6 1 2 0 4 3 0 2 1 3 4 0 7

11 Birmingham 6 1 2 0 2 1 0 2 1 5 7 -1 7

12 Aston Villa 5 2 1 0 5 1 0 0 2 1 8 -3 7

13 Blackpool 6 0 1 1 3 4 2 0 2 6 10 -5 7

Looking a lot more realistic to me now ^ that, down the Donkey Lashers will go with their pretensions of European Football.

;-)

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ignoring all the ridiculous knee jerk posts, - a well deserved win. Better team throughout.

The bloke reporting on Final Score on BBC 1 who was actually at the game ...seems to think a Rovers victory was fully deserved

We have a lot of posters who are allowing their dislike of the manager to cloud their eyes.

Just caught the end of Jason Wilcox's summing up on Radio Lancs. He was using phrases like "Blackpool's front three never had a look in", "huge gulf in class" and "men against boys". He was in absolutely no doubt that Rovers are, and were, a much better team and thoroughly deserved their win. He also referred to our PL experience and how it showed.

We have a lot of posters who are allowing their dislike of the manager to cloud their eyes.

Just caught the end of Jason Wilcox's summing up on Radio Lancs. He was using phrases like "Blackpool's front three never had a look in", "huge gulf in class" and "men against boys". He was in absolutely no doubt that Rovers are, and were, a much better team and thoroughly deserved their win. He also referred to our PL experience and how it showed.

Wilcox must have been watching a different game.

It took two top class saves from Robbo to stop Blackpool from scoring in the second half, on another day he might not have got close to them. We won but i cannot agree that we were by far the better team.

Overall a good afternoon for rovers. That 3 points was absolutely vital in so many ways.

Another three points on the board and moving up the table is very important, especially with wins for West Brom and West Ham, and Wigan taking a point - I've a feeling it could be a rather close premiership (give or take the top 3 or 4) this year. Also with many fans getting justifiably worried about the points and performances/style to date, this should give Sam and the team a bit more breathing space and some much needed confidence.

I'm still not convinced our sit back and hold onto a 1 goal lead tactic is the best. It almost didn't work again today and it baffles me as to why we sit back and try and defend a one goal lead when we are on top. We seem to look much better when we go on the offensive - both in terms of potentially getting more goals and defending.

Nice to see Emo scoring - if we could get him playing near the pre-injury level either at rb or cm it would make a massive difference to the team. Good hearing Diouf 1 had another good game too. The difference it makes to rover when he is on form is massive. Unsuprised to hear the defense and keeper did well - I'm not sure I'd want to trade them for many other teams' back lines outside of the bigger clubs. If we can hold onto them and add a bit more creativity in the midfield we could be a strong proposition.

Will sleep easier tonight now rovers have chalked up a second victory. It's still early days but things are looking a lot healthier and some of the bad memories of Fulham have been erased.

Congratulations Sam, brilliant choices. Andrews, Emerton, and Benjani. 3 of the most useless players in the entire Premiership.

Andrews plays and Rovers get 3 points :rolleyes: Emerton scores a great winning goal :rolleyes:

I feel so happy :rover:

Wilcox must have been watching a different game.

It took two top class saves from Robbo to stop Blackpool from scoring in the second half, on another day he might not have got close to them. We won but i cannot agree that we were by far the better team.

Two late saves, - the first saves he had to make all afternoon. Rovers could have been 3 or 4 up before that. Man for man, Rovers were better than Blackpool. I didn't see one performance from any Blackpool player that made me want them in our team. That's superiority. Not the prettiest performance, but rovers were the better team.

Had Emerton been flagged offside and we'd ended up with the draw, you can bet your bottom dollar Wilcox wouldn't have been using those phrases. Still, it's nice for Rovers to get plaudits in the press for a change, even if it is only the local stuff.

I listened to the whole commentary and Wilcox was saying that, apart from the early few minutes, Rovers were easily the better side right up until the Robbo double save. It 'sounded' a decent performance.

I think a few too many people are seeing Blackpool as though they are a League One team who just happen to have got into the Premier League. They aren't. They got here because they were better than the likes of Derby, Ipswich, Boro and Sheff United and they were better than Cardiff on the day in May. Quite a few teams will fail to win at Bloomfield this season, something which we have just deservedly done. We are now up in 8th with two games with real points potential coming up.

Unfortunately some posters managed to get a bit of egg on their face between the equaliser and the winner.

I think a few too many people are seeing Blackpool as though they are a League One team who just happen to have got into the Premier League. They aren't. They got here because they were better than the likes of Derby, Ipswich, Boro and Sheff United and they were better than Cardiff on the day in May. Quite a few teams will fail to win at Bloomfield this season, something which we have just deservedly done. We are now up in 8th with two games with real points potential coming up.

Decent point Hasta but before the game it would have to be said that it is the easiest away fixture of our season - and likely best supported. I should remind you also that Burnley also got promoted to PL a short while ago. They didn't really deserve to be a PL team.

Plus you contradict your own point when you suggest we should be getting points away at Stoke and at home to Sunderland. Not saying we shouldn't hope to but these are defintely tougher games than Blackpool. I don't expect to win at Stoke. Now there is a team that is under-rated.

Burnley DID deserve to get promoted and be in the Premier League. They were outstanding in the Championship for the last few months of the season and came within a few minutes of reaching a League Cup final. On what grounds did they not deserve to be a Premier League side ???

As for your second thing, what point do I contradict? Sunderland and Stoke are games with 'points potential'. Blackpool was a game with points potential. I've never said any different. The point I am trying to make is that some people think that we should, nay must, beat Blackpool.

Burnley DID deserve to get promoted and be in the Premier League. They were outstanding in the Championship for the last few months of the season and came within a few minutes of reaching a League Cup final. On what grounds did they not deserve to be a Premier League side ???

As for your second thing, what point do I contradict? Sunderland and Stoke are games with 'points potential'. Blackpool was a game with points potential. I've never said any different. The point I am trying to make is that some people think that we should, nay must, beat Blackpool.

We absolutely must, without any question, be beating teams like Blackpool if we have ambitions for anything higher than 17th place. The manager and the players themselves said that. Getting a point away vs City is rather useless if we can't build on that and get 3 points in games where we should be the better team. If Blackpool don't fall under that category, I don't know who does.

We absolutely must, without any question, be beating teams like Blackpool if we have ambitions for anything higher than 17th place. The manager and the players themselves said that. Getting a point away vs City is rather useless if we can't build on that and get 3 points in games where we should be the better team. If Blackpool don't fall under that category, I don't know who does.

But Newcastle beat Villa 6-0 then lost 2-0 at home to Blackpool.

Things aren't as black and white as that. City must be beating teams like us at home if they want to make the top 4. But they beat Chelsea today.

It's how you do over the course of a season that really matters.

We absolutely must, without any question, be beating teams like Blackpool if we have ambitions for anything higher than 17th place.

Ridiculous comment.

It used to be said that win your home games and a point away from home was a basis for a good season. To say we absolutely must be beating any team away from home in September in the Premier League shows the unrealistic mentality of some. Had we only got a point it would have bit disappointing because it's a good chance for 3, but to say we MUST win is ridiculous. Even if you were aiming for a top 6 finish you still shound't HAVE to be beating teams that you think will be relegated.

• Backroom

I thought overall we deserved to win, we looked superior in quality to Blackpool and for many periods of the game were allowing them to flow forward and then hit them with a devastating counter-attack. It almost worked on a couple of occasions, though it gave the (imo false) impression that Blackpool were dominating. They didn't really create that much, but their enthusiasm and heart is definitely to be admired. If they play with that kind of spirit every week they've got an excellent chance of staying up, but I think they'll be knackered by Christmas and will start the inevitable slide towards oblivion.

I still think there are areas of our game that need work - especially when we take the lead. Sitting back and counter-attacking is okay, but sometimes we seem to take it too far and end up gifting the opposition chances. That has to stop. Otherwise we were solid and I thought the game was enjoyable as a spectacle (though I'd have been bitterly disappointed if we'd not won today).

Overall, a good three points and we're up to eighth. We won and I'm happy.

Holloway very complimentary of us in his post-match interview, fair play to him. Seems like a decent chap.

Reading back, yes. None more so than Mr. E who berated bringing Andrews, Benjani and Emerton on! :lol:

Still, you can't blame people for thinking "here we go again". If somebody said it was going to finish 2-1 at that point, you would have been 90% certain it would have been in Blackpool's favour.

That was me. Driving the car, listening to Radio Lancs and being a glum bunny when they equalised and fully expecting their winner. When Bert scored, I was gobsmacked and a big grin appeared on my face. It's still there.

Just seen on sky that we have never beaten blackpool in the top flight.

Here's hoping for a change to that.....but knowing rovers i'll say 3-0 blackpool.

Well, we beat them 1-0 on December 25th 1959 in the 1st Division-so we have beaten them at least once.

Watch Pedersen play a blinder now, but he has been really really poor the last 3 games and yet he keeps his place? He must be in the side for his long throws, only reason why i can see him being still in the side.

I have that Allardyce is a big fan of this website.

He only picks MGP to wind you up.

You might have to counter attack these tactics by being complimentary to the player.

Reading back, yes. None more so than Mr. E who berated bringing Andrews, Benjani and Emerton on! :lol:

Still, you can't blame people for thinking "here we go again". If somebody said it was going to finish 2-1 at that point, you would have been 90% certain it would have been in Blackpool's favour.

are you insane, or do you actually think Benjani is a good player?

Ridiculous comment.

It used to be said that win your home games and a point away from home was a basis for a good season. To say we absolutely must be beating any team away from home in September in the Premier League shows the unrealistic mentality of some. Had we only got a point it would have bit disappointing because it's a good chance for 3, but to say we MUST win is ridiculous. Even if you were aiming for a top 6 finish you still shound't HAVE to be beating teams that you think will be relegated.

read this and shut up already:

http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10303~2163817,00.html

Tickets were snapped up quickly for the first meeting between the two famous old clubs and Jones can't wait to be part of it.

"Now we take on Blackpool and it is an absolutely massive game - a big three pointer. We have to win the game, we know we do.

"But I think we respond well to pressure and hopefully we can do that on Saturday.

"With it being a local derby, there's obviously more riding on it than just the three points.

"Our supporters will obviously be looking forward to it. They won't be too pleased with the result against Villa, so hopefully we can turn that around against Blackpool and get the three points.

"Their supporters will be up for it, but hopefully we'll have a good crowd behind us too. It'll be a very tough game and one that we need to be focused on from the start if we want to win the game.

"They've made a great start to the season. Obviously it will be a difficult game going to Bloomfield Road, but one we know we have to win."

seen benji twice now for rovers and he looks a decent player who will do a good job for us, not a world beater but no chump either.

People who think Benjani is a "decent player" probably think the same of Heskey.

Archived