BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Samba Reinstated as Captain

Valois

But doesn't Samba signing a new contract give the club better leverage if someone comes in for him in the summer?

Surely the buying club has to buy out that contract and the longer it is, the more money Rovers would receive. We all know signing a contract in football doesn't necessarily mean loyalty to the club, you may as well use it as toilet paper. Loyalty is a fan word, not a player word.

This new contract is for four and a half years... Do we honestly believe he'll not be trying to renew the monetary value of that within the next couple of years? Do we honestly believe that he'll still be with Rovers by the summer of 2015?

I personally answer no to both those questions so why the contract then? For Chris, it's the money, I firmly believe that, although I do genuinely think he likes the club. For the club, it's a leverage tool for a bigger transfer fee. If someone comes in the Summer of 2011, they buy out a 4-year contract. If they come back in the summer of 2012, it'll be a 3-year contract (unless renegoiated again).

I for one am very happy he has signed. I hope Robbo does too as well as Phil Jones and a few others.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still makes a bit more difficult for him to leave, also we will demend more money from bidders. The fact that Santa had just signed a contract went a long way to getting a massive 17.5 million for him.

If anything this contract means purchasing samba will cost another team A LOT A LOT of money

He was contracted until 1014, one more year is not going to make that much difference is it?

As previously debated he will only fetch £10 million + if one of the big teams came in, none of them came sniffing in January.

I hope he stays, Nicko did suggest that this was all about extra money so hopefully the matter is resolved with a pay rise.

I remain suspicious however.........

For those who think Samba will play out his days at Rovers, well sadly I think you may be wrong. The new contract is just to reward him for being a great player, and most importantly to insure Rovers get the maximum for him when not if he leaves. Remember he cost only £400K so there is plenty of justification to splash more dough on one of the best players in the club.

Samba said: 'It is a good feeling. We have been in discussions for a little time and I needed a couple of answers.

'But the way we have played and the players the manager has brought in means we are not far off being a top club in the league.

'I'm in a period of my career where I need to make important choices, I've made the choice to take the challenge to try and take the club as high as possible, to maintain that position and to be recognised as one of the top clubs in the country.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1352852/Chris-Samba-does-U-turn-signs-new-Blackburn-deal-2015.html

The so called player revolt is gathering pace then? Along with selling off our top assets to make Venkys a quick buck.

I'm guessing Diego Maradona will be announced as the new Rovers manager during Venkys trip this week. :rolleyes:

:lol: isnt it just!!!

The Maradona thing still worries me though, our owners can be a little unpredictable at times.

if we are a success he'll stay, if we are not and a better team come in for him, he is good enough to play for a team with European Football.

In the last five years Blackburn really have not been an ambitious club, seems to be changing now.

if we are a success he'll stay, if we are not and a better team come in for him, he is good enough to play for a team with European Football.

In the last five years Blackburn really have not been an ambitious club, seems to be changing now.

Agree with that completely, and maybe the ambition being shown by the owners has convinced him to stay, we will see. :rover:

I really can't show any enthusiasm or happiness that he has signed a new deal, the lad went down in my estimation with his behaviour over the past couple of months. In almost any other profession if you went to your boss and said you wanted to leave unless you got a pay rise you would soon find yourself out of a job.

I wouldn't have minded if he did just that - in private. The fact it all went so public is what annoyed me.

Still, he is a good player and he does make a difference to us so I am hapopy - but he's definitely dropped out of my favourite players list. The big guy will be gutted when he finds out :lol:

Lets hope he is a man of his word then eh....

"I'm in a period of my career where I need to make important choices," he added.

"I've made the choice to take the challenge to try and take the club as high as possible, to maintain that position and to be recognised as one of the top clubs in the country"

I really can't show any enthusiasm or happiness that he has signed a new deal, the lad went down in my estimation with his behaviour over the past couple of months. In almost any other profession if you went to your boss and said you wanted to leave unless you got a pay rise you would soon find yourself out of a job.

This I agree with.

So far Kean has been all carrot, no stick. That needs to change.

• Backroom

This I agree with.

I'm pretty sure he nudged Diouf towards the exit and didn't offer Chimbonda the carrot

This I agree with.

Based on that he cannot win can he?

If he let Samba stroll out the door without offering a payrise then he would have been nailed him for not trying to get him to stay.

I dont agree with Samba getting a new deal, but I dare say you were one of those saying how worrying it was that he might leave?

Well how else was he to be persuaded to stay, given that Nicko had already stated that cash was the issue.

Other players have been rewarded for their service, young and old, stands to reason you meet with, arguably, your best players demands.

Would you like him to use the "stick" on Hoillet next to set an example?

Players have all the power these days, Kean and the club are doing what they need to do to hold on to the players.

Would depend if you could easily be replaced or not. Samba couldn't. There are potentially better centre backs out there but they are either already playing for top teams or are untried in the premier league. To buy one from another premier league team would have cost silly money as nobody who has one wants to let him go at this stage, and to bring someone in from abroad is always a risk even though it did work out with Samba. With Jones injured long term and Givet and Nelsen temporarily injured, it would have been a major headache trying to find a Samba replacement as well as doing the other business we needed in this window. Therefore sorting out another contract was probably the most sensible option. If he wants to go somewhere else he'll have to play for that offer, so although it's cost us, it's still a winning situation for us imo.

Too true.

All this crap about him wanting to commit his future - he was contracted till 2014!

Also, who wouldn't be surprised if he's sold by the end of next season?

Too true.

All this crap about him wanting to commit his future - he was contracted till 2014!

Also, who wouldn't be surprised if he's sold by the end of next season?

I interpreted his comments as whats to commit his future to a team that has ambition, which is fair enough, hes give us a few good years and would have deserved a move if he wanted.

I interpreted his comments as whats to commit his future to a team that has ambition, which is fair enough, hes give us a few good years and would have deserved a move if he wanted.

No need for a new deal to do that. Just the honour the one he had.

I wouldn't have objected if Samba wanted to a join a bigger club, but all he's done is an squeeze an extra £5k out of the club for nothing.

I think it is very good news for the club. I don't want to be overly optimistic, but based on the noises coming from players like Samba, Salgado and Roberts there must be some fairly ambitious talk and big promises being made behind the scenes. Now that obviously needs to be followed up by action, but how long has it been since we have seen genuinely good PR coming from the players and manager? Our new owners haven't been great at it so far, but clearly there is a positive attitude at Ewood Park and we handled the Samba situation well. He is probably a bit overrated as a player, but we would struggle to get in much better at the moment and it certainly would have cost a bit. Glad to see him stay and hopefully he'll be fully focused on helping the club perform.

Sends a positive message to the fans, the current players and any players that we might try to sign in the near future. The key to a club moving forward is holding onto your best and most influential players.

I think it is very good news for the club. I don't want to be overly optimistic, but based on the noises coming from players like Samba, Salgado and Roberts there must be some fairly ambitious talk and big promises being made behind the scenes. Now that obviously needs to be followed up by action, but how long has it been since we have seen genuinely good PR coming from the players and manager? Our new owners haven't been great at it so far, but clearly there is a positive attitude at Ewood Park and we handled the Samba situation well. He is probably a bit overrated as a player, but we would struggle to get in much better at the moment and it certainly would have cost a bit. Glad to see him stay and hopefully he'll be fully focused on helping the club perform.

Sends a positive message to the fans, the current players and any players that we might try to sign in the near future. The key to a club moving forward is holding onto your best and most influential players.

So very true, and we could never replace him for the like of money we would get from Spurs or similar.

The man must remember that we dragged him from the scrapheap and gave him a chance, a career, and a stable playing forum.

Samba as the captain should show a little more tact. If he starts saber rattling for a move in the summer we should be royally ######.

Bet he bought that new scarf with his paltry raise. Made of dodo down and saber-tooth tiger hair I bet.

Archived