BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window Thread

BPF commented last night that if the deal was unlikely they would deny any approach this morning.

Yes I did.

I knew that he had carried out an interview with the LET about denying the approach. What I cannot get my head around is why they gave the interview almost immediately after the Twitter story broke. It doesn't make any sense at all to me. Surely, from a PR perspective the best course of action to take following being rejected would be to say 'He wants to go back to Brazil, but we have the ambition to bring these players to Ewood Park.'

Another aspect that confuses me is that this has everything you could ever need to suggest this was a publicity stunt. However, it wasn't. Attempts have been desperately made to sign him. Futhermore, why wait a full day to deny it in the LET? They could have updated Facebook / Twitter immediately with a retraction, saying that it was a mistake and then had an interview with the LET a day later. Again, this suggests that it was an attempt (a successful one) to get their name in the press. I'm very confused by this mornings events, I'm hoping that Nicko can shine some light onto it. In my opinion, because there is very much the thought process that the brothers can do anything back home, they are just going to deny anything that they have not successfully achieved.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just analising the LET story:

Quote from the article: "The story was quickly removed from their site and Rao has now rubbished the rumour.

He said: “That is not true. There is no interest at all, they are just rumours.

“We are still finalising possible signings but hopefully we can come out into the press and make things clearer in a week. "

To be fair, we have no idea in what context did he make the statement “That is not true. There is no interest at all, they are just rumours.". As far as we know, it could have answering the Demba Ba story.

Yes, I know journalists are all correct people, they never change stories :rolleyes:

The Indian Express article is made of other news sites articles.

And, btw, why would a Rovers offer be "too late"?

First news was that he was close to sign for Grémio, now is that he reached an agreement with Flamengo but Palmeiras still want him.

Is this any "inside" info of any sort or just your assumption on recent events?

The bit about Venkys regret and that they will have more to invest, is a bit of inside information from the world of Pro Football but not neccessarily from Rovers.

The difficulty in signing players is my opinion and dont think would take too much working out!!

I am quite astonished by how the rest of the press have missed or treated the story...

There is the quote from Ronaldinho's agent which I seem to be the only reporter to have picked up on.

The quotes from Venky's man in Brazil, who is central to the move, confirm ALL of the details and more that appeared and then disappeared on the Venky's website.

There have been contacts with the Ronaldinho camp for weeks/months. Now is the decision time.

The Raos/Venky's do get themselves in a twist at times as we have seen. But there are also people in the media who seem intent to trip them up.

We already know there are people here who do the same for their own personal reasons.

The bottom line is what the headline in the paper says - It's the beach or Blackburn.

Those in contact with people who matter in the move [and I don't mean me] know even more about what is going on and why.

This is NOT a publicity stunt. If so they would have leaked it when it began. This sneaked out a couple of times before and was hastily denied when I spoke to people.

However the cat came out of the bag yesterday and won't go away now.

I hate to get all historic on you, but when Jack Walker came in he tried to buy Gary Lineker. Everyone, including Spurs and Lineker and the papers who missed THAT story, laughed.

What happened after that again...?

Nicko,

If it is NOT a publicity stunt, why are the Venky Brothers denying any contact, even though it was on their own Facebook & Twitter pages?

This just does not add up. Is it a case that they feel so powerful that back home they are used to riding roughshod over everything without being questioned or challenged?

Bloody weird

Yes I did.

I knew that he had carried out an interview with the LET about denying the approach. What I cannot get my head around is why they gave the interview almost immediately after the Twitter story broke. It doesn't make any sense at all to me. Surely, from a PR perspective the best course of action to take following being rejected would be to say 'He wants to go back to Brazil, but we have the ambition to bring these players to Ewood Park.'

Another aspect that confuses me is that this has everything you could ever need to suggest this was a publicity stunt. However, it wasn't. Attempts have been desperately made to sign him. Futhermore, why wait a full day to deny it in the LET? They could have updated Facebook / Twitter immediately with a retraction, saying that it was a mistake and then had an interview with the LET a day later. Again, this suggests that it was an attempt (a successful one) to get their name in the press. I'm very confused by this mornings events, I'm hoping that Nicko can shine some light onto it. In my opinion, because there is very much the thought process that the brothers can do anything back home, they are just going to deny anything that they have not successfully achieved.

Could it be a cultural thing - they see not being able to sign him as a failure ? In reality it would show ambition - possibly mis-placed - but still ambition to increase Rover's profile and hopefully league position. As Nicko will testify - lots of transfers fall through for a number of reasons - there is no shame in it.

I am quite astonished by how the rest of the press have missed or treated the story...

There is the quote from Ronaldinho's agent which I seem to be the only reporter to have picked up on.

The quotes from Venky's man in Brazil, who is central to the move, confirm ALL of the details and more that appeared and then disappeared on the Venky's website.

There have been contacts with the Ronaldinho camp for weeks/months. Now is the decision time.

The Raos/Venky's do get themselves in a twist at times as we have seen. But there are also people in the media who seem intent to trip them up.

We already know there are people here who do the same for their own personal reasons.

The bottom line is what the headline in the paper says - It's the beach or Blackburn.

Those in contact with people who matter in the move [and I don't mean me] know even more about what is going on and why.

This is NOT a publicity stunt. If so they would have leaked it when it began. This sneaked out a couple of times before and was hastily denied when I spoke to people.

However the cat came out of the bag yesterday and won't go away now.

I hate to get all historic on you, but when Jack Walker came in he tried to buy Gary Lineker. Everyone, including Spurs and Lineker and the papers who missed THAT story, laughed.

So are we in for Ronald or not? COULD it happen or is it completely dead?

Forgive me Sir Alan of Fir Hill (by the way I've noticed many media types claiming to be Jags fans - possibly to distance themselves from the horribble old firm and so cannot be accused of favouratism), but if you think BRFC are heading the right direction I'd like to know what the wrong direction was!

Yes, I know I shouldn't comment until Feb 1st!

I take it you didn't get an answer Jim?

Oh and Nicko - if you think you can compare this lot to Jack Walker and how he went about his business then you really are in cloud cuckoo land.

I'm sure Nicko will / does agree with this, but the biggest mystery relates not to the transfer but to Venkys' comments to the press.

It is almost as if someone has baked a delicious cake. They set it down on the table in front of you and the sweet chocolate smell fills the air. You expect to turn around to see the host handing you a plate. However, the host is unwilling to give you a plate because the cake in front of you doesn't exist and has never existed. The host's attitude is particularly confusing because as you turn around, there is the cake still awaiting to be eaten...

Nicko,

If it is NOT a publicity stunt, why are the Venky Brothers denying any contact, even though it was on their own Facebook & Twitter pages?

This just does not add up. Is it a case that they feel so powerful that back home they are used to riding roughshod over everything without being questioned or challenged?

Bloody weird

It is NOT a publicity stunt. This has been ongoing for weeks. I am actually quite impressed that they kept it quiet until yesterday - although one or two did well to pick up rumours recently.

Every time I checked it this was denied to me.

However I have now found out what it is all about.

And, when you chase a story about Ronaldinho, the best place to find out what the very latest is has to be Brazil.

It is MASSIVE news over there...and thanks to someone round here for helping with that.

The Venky's folk do get in a muddle with these things. The Maradona story is being repeated.

Still, one thing is for sure. It ain't 'business as usual' any more.

They do need to speak with one voice, but that message has not got across.

The difference being that when the Press ridiculed it, Jack didn't come out denying the story but said he was serious in his bid. The Rao's have come out in the LT today and actually said they weren't interested in Ronaldinho and it was just a rumour. Clearly you believe that they went for the player and so why deny it?

I don't know about spending money on players, they could do with spending some cash on employing a decent PR company to handle the media for them. At the moment they look completely out of their depth.

Of course, you are. It's the biggest offer on the table.

Does he want to go back and have an easy life in Brazil or does he want to play in the Premier and get a sheful of cash.

Like I said before, I don't know what motivates him.

We are all about to find out.

Could it be a cultural thing - they see not being able to sign him as a failure ? In reality it would show ambition - possibly mis-placed - but still ambition to increase Rover's profile and hopefully league position. As Nicko will testify - lots of transfers fall through for a number of reasons - there is no shame in it.

I would say it's a very possible thought , different cultures really dont take well to failure, even the simplest of things can make them hand their head in shame.

The only other reason may be that it makes all other deals they have lined up all think about putting an extra million on top of their asking price.

Certainly not angry or shamed by this, I dont care what the press have to say about us anyway, they very rarely find anything nice to say about us.

I think the most important part of the story has been missed too Nicko and its this:

If the Rao brothers have been trawling after Ronaldinho for weeks or months then they have been operating entirely outside the recognised structures of the club. They have made a decision to sign a particular player not the manager.

This is completely against normal practice and completely in contradiction to what Venkys and Kean have said about Kean having the final say over all transfers.

He is a puppet after all Nicko isn't he?

I think that the next two weeks could be infamous in our history.

It would not be surprising to see Messrs Williams & Finn walk away this week.

I would be surprised if we sign anyone until after Sat 15 Jan. (Chelsea away).

Our next three matches are difficult in the extreme Liverpool & QPR at home and Chelsea away. Lose those three, and we would be in big trouble. Would Kean continue in his post or would we see a new manager appointed, followed by some panic and dubious signings.

Our new owners, having appointed Kean, should back him to the hilt and this should mean new signings within days and that shouldn't include Ronaldhino who is not the type you would want next to you in the trenches in a war.

Inactivity would be akin to fiddling as Rome burns.

I think my thoughts yesterday are now even more realistic.

My advice to Venkys would be that they need to eat a huge helping of humble pie and turn the clock back to when they first bought Rovers.

Reappoint Big Sam & Mac, restore JW's full executive powers and get one of the brothers over to England for a full 12 months working next to JW in order to watch and learn.

I genuinely fear for our future.

Just analising the LET story:

Quote from the article: "The story was quickly removed from their site and Rao has now rubbished the rumour.

He said: “That is not true. There is no interest at all, they are just rumours.

“We are still finalising possible signings but hopefully we can come out into the press and make things clearer in a week. "To be fair, we have no idea in what context did he make the statement “That is not true. There is no interest at all, they are just rumours.". As far as we know, it could have answering the Demba Ba story.

Yes, I know journalists are all correct people, they never change stories :rolleyes:

The Indian Express article is made of other news sites articles.

And, btw, why would a Rovers offer be "too late"?

First news was that he was close to sign for Grémio, now is that he reached an agreement with Flamengo but Palmeiras still want him.

The thing which worries me here are the changing of statements, only yesterday it was reported two players would be signed just after the Liverpool game and two more to follow, now we have Rao speaking about a week before finalising the budget - see bold type :blink:

The difference being that when the Press ridiculed it, Jack didn't come out denying the story but said he was serious in his bid. The Rao's have come out in the LT today and actually said they weren't interested in Ronaldinho and it was just a rumour. Clearly you believe that they went for the player and so why deny it?

I don't know about spending money on players, they could do with spending some cash on employing a decent PR company to handle the media for them. At the moment they look completely out of their depth.

Their PR is shocking.

The quotes in Brazil are from the Venky's guy out there.

The deal has been worked on for weeks.

The only reasons they would be 'denying' it is to [a] cover for the silly hiccup that came out yesterday and possibly they think their chances are fading and don't want to look daft.

Personally, if I had the cash and the balls to chase the guy I would just admit it.

• Backroom

As usual people go way over the top, we were linked with a great player and then deny it, so what?

I know some of you want us to be a laughing stock but I hardly think people care enough.

The difference being that when the Press ridiculed it, Jack didn't come out denying the story but said he was serious in his bid.

Missed that bit...Jack didn't deny it because it was right...but as he never spoke to the media he just let it run.

Spurs denied it, Lineker's tit of an agent threatened to go to the League to complain.

I will never forget old Bill Fox's comment to me after it came out as an 'anti' Rovers story.

"If the buggers like, Jack will just buy Tottenham instead."

A lovely man.

Of course, you are. It's the biggest offer on the table.

Does he want to go back and have an easy life in Brazil or does he want to play in the Premier and get a sheful of cash.

Like I said before, I don't know what motivates him.

We are all about to find out.

Am I the only one that wonders how completely disruptive actually signing Ronaldinho would be for the club?? I mean, ONE player comes in and blows apart our wage structure, creates a total 'gravy train' mentality amongst all existing and future players (something that has been shown to be unsustainable even if you have a billionaire football fanatic behind you). Not to mention the small problem of integrating this 'football genius' into a squad of comparative (if not actual) journeymen - None of it adds up. It is a stupid idea borne of stupid, ignorant people, who should stick to pheasant plucking and the commercial realities of that industry rather than meddling in a totally foreign game of no long term value or interest to them.

Venkys out. Idiots :rover:

Archived