BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Agnew for CEO?

Would you have confidence in Paul Agnew as CEO?  

617 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have confidence in Paul Agnew as CEO?

• Yes!
    • I either don't know enough about him, or simply don't know if he'd be any good
    • No!

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the comments from the telegraph article,

http://www.lancashir..._huge_applause/

Some of the staff at Brockhall were told today that Agnew reports to Kean. That's right .... the "so called" General Manager reports to the Team Manager. At what other club in the world does this happen? It's about time someone down there had the guts to spill the beans to someone who can investigate and expose the whole sordid corrupt set up.

One of the comments from the telegraph article,

http://www.lancashir..._huge_applause/

Some of the staff at Brockhall were told today that Agnew reports to Kean. That's right .... the "so called" General Manager reports to the Team Manager. At what other club in the world does this happen? It's about time someone down there had the guts to spill the beans to someone who can investigate and expose the whole sordid corrupt set up.

Which is one of the following:

1 true

2 made up by the poster

3 made up by the posters 'source'

4 recycled from the similar musing on here which could be attributed to (2) or (3)

The trouble is it isn't Blackburn Rovers Football Club anymore. It is purely a plaything for Venkys, Kean, Agnew, Anderson to play with and make as much money as possible out of it. When there is no money left they will just throw it away as it has no more use to them or probably anyone else.

(1) To continue giving them money means you are contributing directly to their benevolent fund and prolonging the agony.

Protests in the ground will not work as (2)they are here to stay no matter what.

I am not renewing my season ticket. I like everyone else love the club and have done so for over 45 years. What I am doing is pledging to BRSIT and helping to support the bid. Its is the only way of ensuring that at the end of Venkys, Kean etal we can pick up the peices and save the club for future generations

Yes it is painful, yes it will hurt the club. But this will be better for the club in the long rum if it stops Venkys, Kean, Agnew, Anderson killing the club.

FFS. Can you, and others like you please give it a rest with this (holier than thou) line. (1)

It is just as hard for those people who have decided to continue to attend next season as those who have decided to stay away. Harder actually because we have had to put our hands in our pockets despite serious misgivings - we are not all ignorant to the speculation.

The fact that you have gone on with (2), by the way, completely nullifies your whole argument.

They will go when they are finished REGARDLESS of what the fans do so this continued "I'm right and you're an idiot" crap is simply hurting fellow fans and NOT Venkys or Kean.

They don't care one iota for Rovers but we all do so let's act like it, eh? If you've had enough, and this goes for a lot of people, then you may as well stop posting on this messageboard until something changes because all the regurgitation is doing is annoying the hell out of each other.

FFS. Can you, and others like you please give it a rest with this (holier than thou) line. (1)

It is just as hard for those people who have decided to continue to attend next season as those who have decided to stay away. Harder actually because we have had to put our hands in our pockets despite serious misgivings - we are not all ignorant to the speculation.

The fact that you have gone on with (2), by the way, completely nullifies your whole argument.

They will go when they are finished REGARDLESS of what the fans do so this continued "I'm right and you're an idiot" crap is simply hurting fellow fans and NOT Venkys or Kean.

They don't care one iota for Rovers but we all do so let's act like it, eh? If you've had enough, and this goes for a lot of people, then you may as well stop posting on this messageboard until something changes because all the regurgitation is doing is annoying the hell out of each other.

Fair point

Bit of an over-reaction? :(

Bit of an over-reaction? :(

Possibly, and Kendal got it, probably unfairly unfortunately. I've no personal problem with Kendal (well maybe he has one with me now!)

It's just relentless though 47er, every day I log in to see if there is any crumb of hope and not only is there none but I have to contend with post after post of people who have renewed being told they (effectively) don't have the best interests of the club at heart.

Nothing the fans do will effect the Raos or whoever the owners are, that much is now clear so why would non-renewal effect them? It only effects those honest Blackburn folk who work there. Although I expect done will argue they are complicit by not walking out on their jobs through principle.

I wonder if these people would be as keen to turn off the life support machine of a loved one, or if they would continue a bedside vigil until they came out of their coma?

Again I probably overreact with that post but it's an emotive time for all of us, not just those who cannot bear to watch.

From wikipedia.

General manager (sometimes abbreviated GM) is a descriptive term for certain executives in a business operation. It is also a formal title held by some business executives, most commonly in the hospitality industry.

A manager may be responsible for one functional area, but the General Manager is responsible for all areas. Sometimes, most commonly, the term General Manager refers to any executive who has overall responsibility for managing both the revenue and cost elements of a company's income statement. This is often referred to as profit & loss (P&L) responsibility. This means that a General Manager usually oversees most or all of the firm's marketing and sales functions as well as the day-to-day operations of the business. Frequently, the General Manager is responsible for effective planning, delegating, coordinating, staffing, organizing, and decision making to attain desirable profit making results for an organization (Sayles 1979).

In many cases, the general manager of a business is given a different formal title or titles. Most corporate managers holding the titles of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) or President, for example, are the General Managers of their respective businesses. More rarely, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Chief Operating Officer (COO), or Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) will act as the General Manager of the business. Depending on the company, individuals with the title Managing Director, Regional Vice President, Country Manager, Product Manager, Branch Manager, or Segment Manager may also have general management responsibilities. In large companies many vice presidents will have the title of General Manager when they have the full set of responsibility for the function in that particular area of the business and are often titled Vice President and General Manager.

In consumer products companies, General Managers are often given the title Brand Manager or Category Manager. In professional services firms, the General Manager may hold titles such as Managing Partner, Senior Partner, or Managing Director.

Sports teams

In most professional sports, the general manager is a team executive responsible for acquiring the rights to player personnel, negotiating their contracts, and reassigning or dismissing players no longer desired on the team. The general manager may also have responsibility for hiring the head coach of the team.

For many years in U.S. professional sports, coaches often served as general managers for their teams as well, deciding which players would be kept on the team and which ones dismissed, and even negotiating the terms of their contracts in cooperation with the ownership of the team. In fact, many sports teams in the early years of U.S. professional sports were coached by the owner of the team, so in some cases the same individual served as owner, general manager and head coach.

As the amount of money involved in professional sports increased, many prominent players began to hire agents to negotiate contracts on their behalf. The intensified contract negotiations that resulted, as well as the overall increased need for professional business management, drove many sports teams to separate the positions of coach and general manager. Some coaches, for example Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, and Mike Shanahan however, still insist on being allowed to fill both positions as a condition of employment.

In some sports leagues salary caps have been adopted to maintain a competitive balance and in these leagues it is one of the functions of the general manager to ensure all player contracts are in accordance with these caps, as well as consistent with the desires of the ownership and its ability to pay.

General managers are usually responsible for the selection of players in player drafts and work with the coaching staff and scouts to build a strong team. In sports with developmental or minor leagues, the general manager is usually the team executive with the overall responsibility for "sending down" and "calling up" players to and from these leagues, although the head coach may also have significant input into these decisions.

Some of the most successful sports general managers have been former players and coaches, while others have backgrounds in ownership and business management.

The term is not commonly used in Europe, especially in soccer, where the position of manager or coach is used instead to refer to the managing/coaching position. The position of director of football might be the most similar position on many European football clubs.

ive heard he has said that he wants to bridge the gap with kean and the fans as 1 of his first duties. he has lost me already

Have you genuinely heard that?

Trying to get the fans on Keans side is an impossible task. Even winning the Championship next season (never going to happen) still won't do it.

ive heard he has said that he wants to bridge the gap with kean and the fans as 1 of his first duties. he has lost me already

The mans useless IMO, simple as that, bet he can't believe his luck that some thick rich boys from Pune have come along and decided to up his wages and give him more authority.

Bridge the gap between the fans and kean :angry:

Don’t make me laugh Agnew, you couldn’t bridge the gap between 1st in the queue and the bar......

The mans useless IMO, simple as that, bet he can't believe his luck that some thick rich boys from Pune have come along and decided to up his wages and give him more authority.

Bridge the gap between the fans and kean :angry:

Dont make me laugh Agnew, you couldnt bridge the gap between 1st in the queue and the bar......

Agnew is just a yes man. A 'Patsy' to quote LHO. Thats why he's been promoted. We've all seen how anybody that suspects the motives of the Fat Controller and Billy Liar or stumbles across their hidden agenda is not tolerated and cut down asap. Maybe insulting his intelligence but there could be a liklihood that Agnew is being hoodwinked himself. He may have grabbed this opportunity simply because his own PR business might be hitting hard times. Spending on PR takes a back seat in times of recession.

imo Agnew is like a secondary minor tumour when the cancer is rooted in the vital organs and not important to the overall malaise. Forget him.

Nothing the fans do will effect the Raos or whoever the owners are, that much is now clear so why would non-renewal effect them? It only effects those honest Blackburn folk who work there. Although I expect done will argue they are complicit by not walking out on their jobs through principle.

I wonder if these people would be as keen to turn off the life support machine of a loved one, or if they would continue a bedside vigil until they came out of their coma?

Again I probably overreact with that post but it's an emotive time for all of us, not just those who cannot bear to watch.

I don't think it's just about not being able to bear to watch. Non-renewal in many people's opinion is the last, best hope of getting through to the owners. Imagine if Ewood Park is empty apart from away fans at the first home game. Surely, there's no way the owners could continue like that. The negative publicity would be astounding, plus there's the simple financial and practical reality that you can't have a club without fans. They would have to act, most likely by selling up.

In my opinion, non-renewal on a massive scale does have a very good chance of getting through to the owners. But even if it's only a chance in a thousand, there are many fans who feel it's a chance worth taking.

I worry that if season tickets do start selling, that Agnew and Kean will use that to reinforce their positions, and nothing at all will change.

Cancer is a rotten, insidious, often unseen until too late, malevolent, destructive force which doesn't respect anything or anyone and which systematically destroys the host that gave it life in the first place.

We have a nasty case of cancer here, people.

2 options - do nothing and watch the body die or radical and painful surgery and long term treatment of the patient.

I'm for radical surgery (cut the cancer out & starve it of sustenance) and long term treatment. It might hurt more in the short term, but in the long run it is the ONLY way that the patient, our beloved football club, can survive.

:rover:

I don't think it's just about not being able to bear to watch. Non-renewal in many people's opinion is the last, best hope of getting through to the owners. Imagine if Ewood Park is empty apart from away fans at the first home game. Surely, there's no way the owners could continue like that. The negative publicity would be astounding, plus there's the simple financial and practical reality that you can't have a club without fans. They would have to act, most likely by selling up.

In my opinion, non-renewal on a massive scale does have a very good chance of getting through to the owners. But even if it's only a chance in a thousand, there are many fans who feel it's a chance worth taking.

I worry that if season tickets do start selling, that Agnew and Kean will use that to reinforce their positions, and nothing at all will change.

These aren't just run of the mill owners though, they have made very few decisions imo that have the best interests of the club in mind. As for the supporters, I imagine they see us as scumbags and don't wish to engage with us in any way. Unfortunately the gate receipts can be covered by flogging a player and in terms of negative publicity, not too many people outside of Ewood care - even more so now we are out of the top flight.

you are the one that keeps jumping down the throat of anybody that says they are not going to games until theirs a big change, why don't you "stop posting on this messageboard" if all you are going to do is sulk about the situation but do nothing to try and change it, its not our fault you seem to have a guilty conscience about handing your cash over to rhese vile parasites.

Stuart I have no problem with your views. This is after all a messageboard of opinions. My comment was just that, it was not a criticism of those who have renewed. You seem very touchy. Is that you are having doubts about renewing? I will admit that I am having doubts about not renewing but I am still determined (going against my basic instincts) not to renew and support BRSIT instead.

My point is they are only in it for themsleves. Whoever owns the club are using it for their own benefit. They do not give a monkeys about anyone else.

I respect people who continue to attend. However you are not supporting the Rovers we all know. You are hoping that things will change that Rovers will improve that things will get better. They won't. They are using the club for their own purposes (whatever they may be) and as long as they can 'justify' a legitimate business the longer they will stay.

Non attendance is a legitimate protest. It will at least highlight the concerns of a significant number of fans and may ultimately lead to events that result in a change of owner.

Whats he been doing for the last 18 months then

I am still determined (going against my basic instincts) not to renew and support BRSIT instead.

It's equally an option to renew and support BRSIT.

No criticism intended for whatever decision is made .

If this isnt enough to turn anybody in their right mind off buying a ST then their is somthing wrong- http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/9750890.Blackburn_Rovers_in_season_ticket_farce_as_fans_are_turned_away/?ref=twt -The fans that do want to renew or buy a season ticket are being turned away with no explanation, disgusting and absolutely disrespectfull.(as for the last bit about colin hendry, more fool him).

Yay Colin Hendry to be added to the never ending list of utter trash appointments.. Shebby apparently on route as well.. *cheer* Now for the rest of those apparently leaving.. whats the betting on Silk leaving and her responsibilities going to Agnew and Hunt leaving with Shebby taking director of football.. That just leaves our Acedemy, only thing they apparently have so far left untouched.

Yay Colin Hendry to be added to the never ending list of utter trash appointments.. Shebby apparently on route as well.. *cheer* Now for the rest of those apparently leaving.. whats the betting on Silk leaving and her responsibilities going to Agnew and Hunt leaving with Shebby taking director of football.. That just leaves our Academy, only thing they apparently have so far left untouched.

The academy is the only department that makes any money, training up a kid cost 50k tops i imagine sell even the most average player on for 500k(+ future fees)-tens of millions(IE.p Jones), The Academy was Jack walkers best investment of all and in the right hands should keep BRFC professional status for a long time(although not necessarily in the top leagues).

You seem very touchy.

It's just the continuous repetition it all. I've ignored a lot of posts saying the same thing.

you are not supporting the Rovers we all know. You are hoping that things will change that Rovers will improve that things will get better.

You are doing it again. As long as they still play in my home town and continue to be called "Blackburn Rovers" they will continue to be my team. As I said, would you disown your wife, child, mother if (God forbid) they had a life threatening illness ? No, of course not. I have to disassociate the two - the club that I can see and the cancer that is the infesting it. If by prolonging life I keep the cancer alive then just maybe there is a chance.

They won't.

That's the gamble but I've actually put some money at stake.

It's not a politically correct view but it does seem easier for those people who have long drives to get to Ewood to make a stand and stay away. When you live just around the corner the connection to the town, and to Ewood Park, is much more ingrained, and more obvious.

At the end of the day, I am not JUST giving my money away to Venkys, I do get to watch football in return and it's helping my son learn the game. It's my home town so I can't just change my allegiance to United, or City, Chorley or Stanley, so whatever I think or want, the players and club represent me and there remains that connection - regardless of who owns it.

I don't object to others staying away, even though it will make no difference, but I do object to being told I'm making the problem worse.

Even an empty stadium would not make Venkys position untenable - it's ALREADY untenable and they are still here. Plus the media didn't care when we were in the PL, they'll care a damn sight less now.

Archived