BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean (multiple merged threads)

Doesn't Kean need to win the next 3 games to achieve his 16/17 point total from the first 7 games? Can't see us winning 3 on the bounce.

Aye, that's what I calculated, too. If that target is right, he needs to drop six points in the first 7. He's already dropped 4, so a draw or loss in any of the next three should be enough to get rid. Unless Mrs Desai goes back on her agreement, of course...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming Desai actually set that target of course, and Shabby wasn't talking nonsense. Frankly, I expect him to be in charge for most if not all this season whatever we do. Desai loves him and is so utterly clueless and easy to fool that she'd rather fight with her own family than boot nobhead out. Even if he did go, I'd expect Shabby to blab about the quality manager he has lined up, and then the news will break that Joe Kinnear, Howard Wilkinson or Mickey Adams has taken over.

Assuming Desai actually set that target of course, and Shabby wasn't talking nonsense. Frankly, I expect him to be in charge for most if not all this season whatever we do. Desai loves him and is so utterly clueless and easy to fool that she'd rather fight with her own family than boot nobhead out. Even if he did go, I'd expect Shabby to blab about the quality manager he has lined up, and then the news will break that Joe Kinnear, Howard Wilkinson or Mickey Adams has taken over.

I don't really know where this 'target' came from. It certainly didn't come from Singh at Blakeys but I seem to recall one of the nationals (redtop perhaps) reporting this. It was first reported as 17 points from 21 and then moved to 16 from 21 which cast doubt on this straightaway for me.

IF it was correct and he did get the sack how would that make the owners and Singh look when we would probably be in the top 8. We have to be realistic here and acknowledge that he isn't going anywhere. The next big move for Kean and the Indians will be whether they renew his contract. Normally clubs would open provisional talks with managers about contract renewals some 12 months before they end and if this process isn't happening the manager (Redknapp is the most recent example) will start to get twitchy (not literally in Redknapps case). I firmly believe that not renewing the slimeballs contract is the only way we will get rid of him.

And as another poster said, if we do go up, then we'd expect Kean to get a big shiny contract. And then we can look forward to more relegation and bad games. Anderson will arrange something for Kean, so he'll stay on regardless of results.

So if we get promoted, Kean will probably be here for longer, but if we don't, then all the financial problems arising from all our parachute money going to players' wages, agents' fees, the lack of sponsorship etc. will be more of an issue, with no real assurance that Kean and his gang are booted out. Either way we'll probably lose.

I don't really know where this 'target' came from. It certainly didn't come from Singh at Blakeys but I seem to recall one of the nationals (redtop perhaps) reporting this. It was first reported as 17 points from 21 and then moved to 16 from 21 which cast doubt on this straightaway for me.

IF it was correct and he did get the sack how would that make the owners and Singh look when we would probably be in the top 8. We have to be realistic here and acknowledge that he isn't going anywhere. The next big move for Kean and the Indians will be whether they renew his contract. Normally clubs would open provisional talks with managers about contract renewals some 12 months before they end and if this process isn't happening the manager (Redknapp is the most recent example) will start to get twitchy (not literally in Redknapps case). I firmly believe that not renewing the slimeballs contract is the only way we will get rid of him.

at KGH, 1st shabby said 2 losses then he was out and quickly changed to definately 3 and he was out, did you go or listen to tthe recording?

at KGH, 1st shabby said 2 losses then he was out and quickly changed to definately 3 and he was out, did you go or listen to tthe recording?

I was talking about the points total rumour which Singh absolutely did not mention at Blakeys (and yes I was there). This story, I believe emanted from the redtops.

Kean has got to go now.

He cannot set up a team to defend.

The supporters detest him

Shebby Singh has to man up and get this excrescence out of our club NOW.

Even if we won every game playing the most exciting football ever seen I'd still want him out. I just don't like the guy. Period.

That football is more important that life and death.

And he was completely and utterly wrong on every level.

I'm not a Liverpool fan but I am a Shankly fan. I do get a bit fed up of this line being trotted out. Particularly when folk who do it (nothing personal) then get on their high horse and moralise. Shankly had is tongue very much in his cheek when he said that and now, of course, is no longer around to defend himself. To keep repeating a throwaway soundbite and to do so out of context does a disservice to a great football man and a man of the people.

16 from 7 was reported in the Daily Telegraph.

you never know with this lot,

anyway he could be strolling along the prom at Blackpool one day in drunken stupour (normal condition) and get hit by a tram, you just don't know what is around the corner when the big cheese calls you

Here's an interesting set of stats

Since Kean's appointment (Lge games only)

Kean p63 w 15 d 16 l 32 pts 61

Owen St Young Shankly Coyle p63 w17 d 9 l 37 pts 60

So despite everything not quite managed the worst record over same period. Not that it matters a hoot but how does Owen get away with it!

Maybe one of the reasons Coyle has been given more leeway is the marked contrast between the experience Kean and Coyle can draw on.

On the one hand, Coyle can point to vast experience as a player, including winning promotion with Bolton, together with his experience as a manager, including winning promotion with Burnley.

On the other hand, Kean had virtually no experience as a player and none as a manager. (Pretending to have led Fulham to promotion doesn't count !)

Having said that, seems some Bolton fans called for Coyle to be sacked at Hull yesterday.

Like I've said before, it doesn't take a great manager to get a team out of this league. Coyle and Holloway did it via the play-offs and simply didn't have enough about them in terms of getting their teams defending in the Premier League, Boothroyd, Jewell, Keane, Bruce, McCarthy etc. have all generally struggled in the top flight too.

Half of the battle is getting the team scoring, then if you can muster up an even average defence you are in with a real chance of promotion from this league. Each game that goes by will cover up how abysmal Kean is as a proper manager because his results record will steadily improve, will he learn much from the experience or will we grow to abide him though - erm, no.

Bolton fans have started to be quite vocal about Coyle and the ones i know think that he'll be gone fairly quickly. We could only be so lucky.

I wonder if that slum dog on Talksh**e will mention it? And while he's at it, I hope he remembers to condem his beloved Spuds fans for being abusive to AVB by going totally over the top and booing the team off.

I wonder if that slum dog on Talksh**e will mention it? And while he's at it, I hope he remembers to condem his beloved Spuds fans for being abusive to AVB by going totally over the top and booing the team off.

I can't see it as they gave him 3 games and we only gave K..n 12 months.

Well Andy Cryer on Twitter last night reckons six points from the next two is a nailed-on certainty (based somewhat curiously it must be said on the notion that the relative budgets of the two teams will influence the outcome) so if he's any judge Agent Kean will just need to see off Boro - who've started poorly - and it'll be hey Ho , contract extension & pay rise time all round. Although I'm curious if matches are decided on relative budget why we are actually having to play them & we haven't been handed the title in advance on account of our wage & transfer outlay

Here's an interesting set of stats

Since Kean's appointment (Lge games only)

Kean p63 w 15 d 16 l 32 pts 61

Owen St Young Shankly Coyle p63 w17 d 9 l 37 pts 60

So despite everything not quite managed the worst record over same period. Not that it matters a hoot but how does Owen get away with it!

That's quite surprising. I didn't realise that Coyle's record was as bad to be honest.

However it's worth remembering that Coyle took over a club that was rooted in the relegation zone of the Premier League whereas Kean took over a safe, stable, mid-table Premier League club.

you never know with this lot,

anyway he could be strolling along the prom at Blackpool one day in drunken stupour (normal condition) and get hit by a tram, you just don't know what is around the corner when the big cheese calls you

He'd still be back in for training the morning after, the man is teflon.

Not that it matters a hoot but how does Owen get away with it!

I'd have Coyle is a heart beat, he's been there and done it, Keans never done anything other than tell fibs and stab people in the back.

Archived