BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could say that about every manager going apart from Ince, Kidd, Black and Hendry....that's hardly a reason.

Have you not seen him on MOTD? He's hardly captain charisma either.....I can't really see him motivating the players with rousing speeches.

Wolves fans don't speak highly of McCarthy in the prem but he would likely take us up so it's a weird one....I'd prefer him to some candidates but not others.

I'm sure he wouldn't be able to say what he really thinks on live tv in front of millions. Apparently he had high standards of discipline at Newcastle which certain players didn't like... Exactly what some of ours need if you ask me.

Comparing what he MIGHT be like as a manager based on what people have seen on MOTD is extremely unfair.

• Backroom

I am starting to get slightly worried about this delay in appointing a manager. It is weird that there has been this delay because even before Kean's sacking people reportedly representing Rovers were enquiring about possible replacements and yet now we have this delay.

It could just be that Rovers have been surprised by the calibre of manager interested in the job and are delaying things slightly to see what other manager's are interested. Or of course it could be that OGS is genuinely interested and Rovers are weighing up that option, or of course it could be that they want to give Black more of an opportunity to prove himself and these delaying tactics are designed to give him that chance. Maybe appointing someone like Black gives Shebby the chance to become an influential Director of Football, with Black becoming first team manager and Rovers bringing in a performance director to work alongside Shebby and Black.

All of this is just speculation on my part and not based on anything that I have been told/heard.

If the owners are really concerned about attendances, as we're led to believe, appointing Black will be the worst possible decision and Shebby should make them fully aware that doing so will likely stifle or completely extinguish any hope returning fans had of Venky's ever being able to run the club in a proper manner.

The ball is in Venky's court... and I fully expect them to totally Kean this all up.

or of course it could be that they want to give Black more of an opportunity to prove himself and these delaying tactics are designed to give him that chance. Maybe appointing someone like Black gives Shebby the chance to become an influential Director of Football, with Black becoming first team manager and Rovers bringing in a performance director to work alongside Shebby and Black.

Exactly what I've predicted is going on. Might lump a big sum on Black becoming manager so that i've got something to fall back on with my rage. I've said it before, but I'll not put a penny into the club should they appoint him full time until Venky's leave (should they ever). Yes he's not Kean but it would show that the owners have learnt absolutely jack all.

You and others who support appointing Shearer seem to live in some sort of a fantasy world. One where trifling matters like tactical ability, record in the transfer market, previous experience and man management skills are far less relevant to predicting the success of a potential manager than whether the "fans will get behind him" or his record as a player for the club over fifteen years ago.

Funnily enough, those who think that Rovers will succeed with Shearer at the helm are following the exact same thought process as those who called up talksport and said the fans were to blame for Kean not doing well as we didn't get behind him.

What a load of absolute rubbish.

Type in "Kean Out" on google images and look through 100's picks of me with my red & white Kean Out banner.

I just happen to think Shearer would be a good appointment for us... It's an opinion that just so happens to differ to yours.

I would be surprised if Sven was here, meetings with the owners would take place in Zurich.

Well I'm pretty sure Sidders wasn't suggesting that Sven was meeting the owners, seeing as our owners are neither Scottish nor Arabs.

How about we move for Hughes at QPR? They might be happy to offload him without the big pay-off. Bit like when Souness left for Newcastle.

Big difference though is that Souness was getting a move to a (perceived) bigger club. I'm not sure Hughes would want to come here. Even if he was sacked I still think he'd hang around for a couple of months for something like the Norwich job.

You and others who support appointing Shearer seem to live in some sort of a fantasy world. One where trifling matters like tactical ability, record in the transfer market, previous experience and man management skills are far less relevant to predicting the success of a potential manager than whether the "fans will get behind him" or his record as a player for the club over fifteen years ago.

Funnily enough, those who think that Rovers will succeed with Shearer at the helm are following the exact same thought process as those who called up talksport and said the fans were to blame for Kean not doing well as we didn't get behind him.

Wow. In 8 games you have managed to dissect one managers entire tactical outlook, written off his ability in the transfer market (i think he does walk on water but even Big Al would do well to make a signing in April) and lord knows how you know what his man management skills are all about.

The point, which you are repeatedly missing is as follows. If you could guarantee promotion and Shearer was the man to take us up then it does not get much better as a Rovers fan, you could bring Mourinho in and it would still not mean as much as if Shearer took us back up. Now i know you can not guarantee that but after all the sh1te we have been through over the last 2 years, all the lies and the attacks on the fans the one thing you could guarantee is that Shearer would be on our side. That's all we are asking, a chance to get behind a club legend who we are eternally indebted too.

It's possible it might fail, but that's the same for any manager. Personally i would love Shearer to have a crack it at, however i don't think it will happen as he will see right through the owners for what they are.

Wow. In 8 games you have managed to dissect one managers entire tactical outlook, written off his ability in the transfer market (i think he does walk on water but even Big Al would do well to make a signing in April) and lord knows how you know what his man management skills are all about.

The point, which you are repeatedly missing is as follows. If you could guarantee promotion and Shearer was the man to take us up then it does not get much better as a Rovers fan, you could bring Mourinho in and it would still not mean as much as if Shearer took us back up. Now i know you can not guarantee that but after all the sh1te we have been through over the last 2 years, all the lies and the attacks on the fans the one thing you could guarantee is that Shearer would be on our side. That's all we are asking, a chance to get behind a club legend who we are eternally indebted too.

It's possible it might fail, but that's the same for any manager. Personally i would love Shearer to have a crack it at, however i don't think it will happen as he will see right through the owners for what they are.

Amen to that!

Excellent post!

who would bet against bolton hiring someone before rovers? what the hell does it take to appoint someone with all these so called high profile names interested, they're just stringing us along pretending to take their time only for scotsman number 2 to take the helm, i wouldn't trust any of the venkites to wipe their nose properly let alone appoint someone who the fans could get upbeat about!! the obvious outcome now, having waited to see if bolton had sacked their manager, is to wait till bolton have got their man and pretend that rovers were after him and turn around to say 'well he was our only number 1 choice so we will give black the job till the end of the season till we look again in the summer', i wouldn't put it past them and if they do then they can kiss goodbye to those thousands returning

I'm sure he wouldn't be able to say what he really thinks on live tv in front of millions. Apparently he had high standards of discipline at Newcastle which certain players didn't like... Exactly what some of ours need if you ask me.

Comparing what he MIGHT be like as a manager based on what people have seen on MOTD is extremely unfair.

The point is that his "analysis" of games is nothing like real managers show when they are doing punditry work.....or players who you can tell are more intelligent and have a great reading of the game like Salgado......from watching Shearer, I can't really see how he could analyse a game and then in his half-time team talk make the necessary changes required.

People are rightly saying that if Black wasn't already here he wouldn't be considered for the job....but if Shearer never played for us, would he be considered? If he was, hardly anyone would be behind it.

Yes the initial buzz would be great......so what? The buzz of hiring an experienced manager would be great as well......winning football matches is the way to boost morale throughout the club......so we should hire an experienced manager with a good track-record who would have a greater chance of doing this imo.

Did you put that Sheffield Wednesday bet on too?

Not sure you'll be wrong with the OGS thing, but genuinely interested.

No Owls' bet.

First rule of betting, don't bet what you can't afford to lose, second rule, be as certain as you can be when you part with your brass.

Owls didn't tick box for rule two.

Shearer plus good No2 and No3 would put the energy and excitement back in the Club. A good look at all the playing staff would re-shape the team to a more passing and organised outfit who could overpower most teams. 2 extra signings in January plus a free transfer before, and then re-style again next Summer. Shearer knows enough.

No Owls' bet.

First rule of betting, don't bet what you can't afford to lose, second rule, be as certain as you can be when you part with your brass.

Owls didn't tick box for rule two.

But OGS did? The second rule specifically ?

For what it's worth, a friend of mine, Bolton supporter, reckons their first two choices are OGS & Freedman, with Robinson also well in the reckoning and they will appoint within days.

If true and it happens, Rovers are a big loser.

Now I never said any Swedish gentlemen met the owners but he did have an expensive dinner with three gentlemen, one of whom is of Scottish heritage and currently (possibly temporarily) employed by the club. No idea who the exotic others were.

Well, I say it was an expensive dinner, but I really have no idea how expensive it is at Stanley House. He's not staying there now. I expect he's probably been to been to sort out a tenancy with Twin Valley homes and to buy some pans.

Seriously, there might be nothing in it but it all seems a bit odd given the timing of their gathering. Kamy's idea of some sort of experienced person to hold Eric's hand might have some mileage though.

Mr Fleming, I am very well, thank you. I trust you and yours are thriving?

For what it's worth, a friend of mine, Bolton supporter, reckons their first two choices are OGS & Freedman, with Robinson also well in the reckoning and they will appoint within days.

If true and it happens, Rovers are a big loser.

Of course they will appoint within days. It's what all proper owners would do - draw up a contingency shortlist should your manager leave, when said manager leaves approach your top targets, interview and appoint.

Unless you want to draw this out purposely of course....

I am starting to get slightly worried about this delay in appointing a manager. It is weird that there has been this delay because even before Kean's sacking people reportedly representing Rovers were enquiring about possible replacements and yet now we have this delay.

It could just be that Rovers have been surprised by the calibre of manager interested in the job and are delaying things slightly to see what other manager's are interested. Or of course it could be that OGS is genuinely interested and Rovers are weighing up that option, or of course it could be that they want to give Black more of an opportunity to prove himself and these delaying tactics are designed to give him that chance. Maybe appointing someone like Black gives Shebby the chance to become an influential Director of Football, with Black becoming first team manager and Rovers bringing in a performance director to work alongside Shebby and Black.

All of this is just speculation on my part and not based on anything that I have been told/heard.

Same here worry about the delay in getting a shortlist ready.Why Thursday??? why not Today and interview the 3 or 4 names on the shortlist over the next 2 days then name the new manager on Friday Afternoon.

Tho I am very surprise with the high calibre of manager interested in the job. didnt expect managers like Schuster, Trappattoni, Clemente and OLS applying for the rovers job.

also alot of managers will want to know what role Shebby will play at the club after the new manager. will he become Director of football or will in be involve suggest/signing players. this come crucial to the type of manager we will be appointing.

Will they be a new structure being install at the club with us having a director of football, Performance director and then a First team head coach.

Also will the new manager be allow to bring in his own staff or have to work with most of the staff here with a new manager/head coach being only allow to bring in his own number 2???

If we are having a director of football with Shebby being that then I can see us having a overseas manager like Sven or Sousa or Schuster who have work with this system already. Alot of British manager do not like working with a DoF and most wont work with one.

Joe Kinnear warned Newcastle not to give Shearer the job and was proved right when the Toon were relegated.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/06/03/joe-kinnear-i-told-mike-ashley-not-to-take-on-alan-shearer-79310-31101057/

The fact is appointing Shearer at this present time is too much of a gamble for Rovers. All managers carry risk but at least with the likes of McCarthy you know you are getting a strong, experienced man who based on his record would have a good chance of success. After the debacle of the past 2 years, Rovers cannot afford to get it wrong again. Why Venky's are prevaricating over the appointment when the club desperately needs stability and leadership only they know.

I rarely post anything these days but when I do...

I say, I say, I say there's a Scotsman, a Swede and two Arabs all sitting down for dinner together in a posh hotel not far from Blackburn...

I'll let you deliver the punchline.

Haggis, neeps and arabs ?

Archived